PDA

View Full Version : Jason Kidd: Nets Give Up Too Easily

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 10:59 AM
KIDD: NETS GIVE UP TOO EASILY
By FRED KERBER

Jason Kidd, dribbling around the Jazz's Deron Williams last night during the staggering Nets' 102-75 loss in Utah, says of his team's troubles, "We're so quick to bail in the sense of mentally letting go of the rope."November 20, 2007 -- SALT LAKE CITY - Jason Kidd was calm, very matter-of-fact. But his frustration, gloom and disappointment were undeniable.

If you think the Nets have problems now, consider the damage if Kidd becomes totally disgruntled. For now, he's tired of the Nets re-running another slow start and sees little hope on the horizon.

After avoiding the media following two weekend defeats, Kidd held little back yesterday, claiming this year's team is quick to yield and can't really take a punch.

And that was before the Nets went out and dropped a 102-75 decision to the Jazz - New Jersey's sixth straight loss.

"The jaw has softened," he said.

Kidd pointed no fingers but said all are responsible for the team's disappointing 4-7 start.

"We're so quick to bail in the sense of mentally letting go of the rope," said Kidd, who fittingly was listening to Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" before his comments. "We wouldn't let go of the rope [in the past], but this year we're letting go. When we go down eight, nine, we can't make a shot or something happens and all of a sudden it goes to 20."

So this team has a glass jaw?

"It's always been that way. Yeah, after the first three years, the jaw has softened," Kidd said. "We're trying to find out who we are. You don't know who you are by now, you could be in trouble.

"The same thing happens year after year. We thought we were going to start off fast, but injuries have come into play. Everybody has people hurt, but they still play together and find a way to win. Right now we're not doing that. We have to find a way. That's always been the motto, we'd find a way to win. Now we're finding a way to lose. That can be upsetting to anybody."

Some of the comments seemed to strike a nerve with team president Rod Thorn, who contested Kidd's gloom and recalled Kidd claiming at the end of preseason that this was the most talented team he played with, excluding Olympic teams.

"I disagree with that. I think if [Vince] Carter hadn't gotten hurt, we would have won at least two more games," Thorn said. "I read a quote and I assume it was accurate, that, 'I think this was the most talented team I've played on.' That's what losing does."

The Nets were last in the league in scoring and turnovers. They have been hit with injuries, the most damaging to Carter (ankle) who sat a fifth straight game but is expected to play tomorrow or Friday, Thorn said. Kidd waved off injuries, although the Nets were 4-2 in games Carter played.

"Right now there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Healthy, we're the same team," said Kidd - who missed eight of nine field-goal attempts and finished with two points, eight assists and six turnovers last night.

"We had him [Carter], but still we're losing. The proof is in the pudding. It's there. You want to ignore it, you can ignore it. You can sweep it under the rug and hope for the best. So far the hope has been the best. We get to the playoffs and everything disappears.

"At the end of the season we win 50 games. Does that mean we accomplish anything? We go through the same thing every year. So is it any change? There hasn't been any change."

Thorn chalked it up to frustration.

"Everybody's frustrated right now. We lost four in a row since Carter went out and we've had a couple games that we were right there and we couldn't finish. We just need a win," Thorn said.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11202007/sports/nets/a_glass_jaw_25498.htm?page=2