View Full Version : Spurs Mailbag: Football time for Vaughn

Spurs Brazil
11-20-2007, 12:07 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b....1d000c63.html

Spurs Mailbag: Football time for Vaughn

Web Posted: 11/19/2007 07:47 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

While spending almost the entire season to date on the injured list, Spurs guard Jacque Vaughn has had plenty of time to follow his favorite college football team on TV.

Even more amazing: Vaughn’s favorite college football team has actually been on TV.

Vaughn played his college ball at Kansas, where the home court in named after the guy who invented the game of basketball.

Yes, they take Dr. Naismith’s grand old game seriously at Vaughn’s alma mater. Football, not so much. The Jayhawks were perennial doormats in football.

“Usually, at this time of year people are wondering when the next basketball game is,” Vaughn said.

Until now.

Kansas, which to most red-blooded football-playing Big 12 schools used to be another name for “idle,” is ranked second in the country.

Ahead of Texas. Ahead of USC. Ahead of Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida and everybody else not named LSU.

It’s the highest ranking in football ever for the Jayhawks.

“Unprecedented,” Vaughn beamed.

The Jayhawks face rival Missouri this week at Arrowhead Stadium. Vaughn, as has been his Saturday custom for several weeks now, will be watching on TV.

“Which is nice,” he said, “because we used to never be on TV.”

By beating Missouri, Kansas can do Vaughn one better. A victory there punches Kansas’ ticket to the first Big 12 championship game in school history.

That game would be played Dec. 1 in the Alamodome, practically in Vaughn’s backyard.

The Spurs are off that day. He would get to watch it in person. And he would almost certainly have company.

“If they come down this way, I’m sure I’ll be getting a lot of calls,” he said.

And now for something a little less unprecedented – half-witted answers to your Spurs-related e-mails …

I see that Robert Horry is not playing anymore and I saw another player with No. 5, but on the roster I saw that Robert is No. 25. Is he still with the team or did he retire already?
-- Joe Lopez, San Antonio

Horry’s number switcheroo was born out of a sense of nostalgia. Since this is supposed to be his final season, Horry decided to don the number he wore as a rookie in Houston, approximately 1,204 years ago. His season-long farewell tour hit a snag, however, when he was forced to miss almost the entire preseason while tending to an ill family member.

Ime Udoka has been wearing Horry’s old No. 5, though he frankly hasn’t played much more than the new No. 25 has so far this season.

The Spurs brass have been screaming for at least three seasons that the Spurs need to get younger. Now they have a young point guard (Darius Washington) who has shown a competitive toughness and an ability to shoot and the coaches are going to sit him down for an old point guard (Jacque Vaughn) who can't shoot. Explain to me the logic behind that.
-- Bonnie Foust, Boston, Mass.

Yes, Washington has a better scoring touch than Vaughn. He is younger, more athletic and a better shooter. Vaughn, however, has something Washington doesn’t – experience in the Spurs’ system. Gregg Popovich values that corporate knowledge in his players, and especially in his point guards.

Another point: It’s only November. Popovich’s rotation has never been set in stone before Valentine’s Day, much less Thanksgiving. If Vaughn doesn’t earn his minutes, Washington will get them – even if the Spurs have to bus him in from Austin to take them.

How old is Tim Duncan?
-- Hannah, San Antonio

Duncan is 31. Except on the occasional night when he’s 50.

Is Coach Popovich aware of Tony Parker's selfishness?
-- Arlyn Echevarria, Philippines

Not sure if Pop is aware or not, but we hear Parker likes to horde all the little packages of peanuts on every plane flight home and refuses to share. Someone call the FAA.

I attended the Lakers game & seems like our purs fans were booing Bowen? If so why?
-- Becky, San Antonio

They weren’t saying, “Booooooooo!” They were saying, “Bruuuuuuuuce!”

We take it you wouldn’t last long at a Springsteen concert.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Since this is supposed to be his final season, Horry decided to don the number he wore as a rookie in Houston, approximately 1,204 years ago
:lol

SpursIndonesia
11-20-2007, 12:55 PM
I attended the Lakers game & seems like our purs fans were booing Bowen? If so why? -- Becky, San Antonio They weren’t saying, “Booooooooo!” They were saying, “Bruuuuuuuuce!” We take it you wouldn’t last long at a Springsteen concert.

:lol He shouldn't be so hard to people with hearing disability. :elephant