PDA

View Full Version : Magic Acquire Brian Cook and Maurice Evans From L.A. Lakers

zekes
11-20-2007, 06:16 PM
http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Magic_Acquire_Brian_Cook_and_M-244872-66.html

Orlando sends Trevor Ariza to the Lakers in three-player deal; Also waives Bo Outlaw

November 20, 2007

Orlando, FL – The Orlando Magic have acquired forward Brian Cook and guard Maurice Evans from the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for forward Trevor Ariza, General Manager Otis Smith announced today. In addition, the Magic have waived forward Bo Outlaw.

“Brian (Cook) helps bolster our frontcourt,” said Smith. “He is a power forward who shoots the ball extremely well, while also bringing added toughness to our roster. Maurice (Evans) is a tremendous athlete, a solid defender and capable of playing multiple positions. Both Brian and Maurice fit in very well with what we are trying to accomplish.”

Smith also added: “Trevor (Ariza) is a great talent and we certainly wish him well. We also thank Bo (Outlaw) for everything he has done for our organization as a player.”

Cook (6’9”, 250, 12/4/80, Illinois, 4 years) has played in six games (two starts) this season with the L.A. Lakers, averaging 2.3 ppg. and 1.7 rpg. in 11.7 minpg. Evans (6’5”, 220, 11/8/78, Texas, 4 years) has appeared in seven games this season with the Lakers, averaging 4.4 ppg., 1.7 apg. and 1.3 rpg. in 13.7 minpg.

Cook has played in 259 career NBA regular season games, all with the Lakers, averaging 6.6 ppg. and 3.2 rpg. in 16.0 minpg. He has shot .392 (162-413) from three-point range. Cook has also appeared in 25 postseason contests, averaging 3.0 ppg. and 1.6 rpg. in 7.0 minpg. Originally selected in the first round (24th overall) of the 2003 NBA Draft by the Lakers, Cook netted a career-high 28 points on Feb. 7, 2006 @ Dallas and pulled down a career-best 14 rebounds on Mar. 4, 2007 @ Phoenix.

Evans has appeared in 238 career NBA regular season games with Minnesota, Sacramento, Detroit and the Lakers, averaging 6.3 ppg. and 2.5 rpg. in 17.8 minpg. He has also played in 24 playoff outings, averaging 4.0 ppg. and 1.2 rpg. in 10.0 minpg. Evans originally signed as a free agent with Minnesota on July 23, 2001, after he was not selected during the 2001 NBA Draft. He poured in a career-high 26 points on Feb. 25, 2007 @ Golden State and recorded a career-best 14 rebounds on Mar. 8, 2005 vs. Memphis.

Ariza has played in 11 games this season with the Magic, averaging 3.3 ppg. and 2.2 rpg. in 10.5 minpg. Outlaw has played in two games with Orlando this season, averaging 2.0 ppg. in 3.5 minpg.

duncan228
11-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Conversation in the Spurs Forum as well, timvp posted it.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81931

LakeShow
11-20-2007, 06:20 PM
http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Magic_Acquire_Brian_Cook_and_M-244872-66.html

Orlando sends Trevor Ariza to the Lakers in three-player deal; Also waives Bo Outlaw

November 20, 2007

Orlando, FL – The Orlando Magic have acquired forward Brian Cook and guard Maurice Evans from the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for forward Trevor Ariza, General Manager Otis Smith announced today. In addition, the Magic have waived forward Bo Outlaw.

“Brian (Cook) helps bolster our frontcourt,” said Smith. “He is a power forward who shoots the ball extremely well, while also bringing added toughness to our roster. Maurice (Evans) is a tremendous athlete, a solid defender and capable of playing multiple positions. Both Brian and Maurice fit in very well with what we are trying to accomplish.”

Smith also added: “Trevor (Ariza) is a great talent and we certainly wish him well. We also thank Bo (Outlaw) for everything he has done for our organization as a player.”

Cook (6’9”, 250, 12/4/80, Illinois, 4 years) has played in six games (two starts) this season with the L.A. Lakers, averaging 2.3 ppg. and 1.7 rpg. in 11.7 minpg. Evans (6’5”, 220, 11/8/78, Texas, 4 years) has appeared in seven games this season with the Lakers, averaging 4.4 ppg., 1.7 apg. and 1.3 rpg. in 13.7 minpg.

Cook has played in 259 career NBA regular season games, all with the Lakers, averaging 6.6 ppg. and 3.2 rpg. in 16.0 minpg. He has shot .392 (162-413) from three-point range. Cook has also appeared in 25 postseason contests, averaging 3.0 ppg. and 1.6 rpg. in 7.0 minpg. Originally selected in the first round (24th overall) of the 2003 NBA Draft by the Lakers, Cook netted a career-high 28 points on Feb. 7, 2006 @ Dallas and pulled down a career-best 14 rebounds on Mar. 4, 2007 @ Phoenix.

Evans has appeared in 238 career NBA regular season games with Minnesota, Sacramento, Detroit and the Lakers, averaging 6.3 ppg. and 2.5 rpg. in 17.8 minpg. He has also played in 24 playoff outings, averaging 4.0 ppg. and 1.2 rpg. in 10.0 minpg. Evans originally signed as a free agent with Minnesota on July 23, 2001, after he was not selected during the 2001 NBA Draft. He poured in a career-high 26 points on Feb. 25, 2007 @ Golden State and recorded a career-best 14 rebounds on Mar. 8, 2005 vs. Memphis.

Ariza has played in 11 games this season with the Magic, averaging 3.3 ppg. and 2.2 rpg. in 10.5 minpg. Outlaw has played in two games with Orlando this season, averaging 2.0 ppg. in 3.5 minpg.

Hate to see Evans go but I love seeing Cook go. I don't know much about Ariza but looking forward to seeing him in action.

LakeShow
11-20-2007, 06:35 PM
wait a minute, I know of Ariza, Product of UCLA, he can ball! I don't know how he fared in Orlando, but he's coming home now. Great trade by the home team :)

Purple & Gold
11-20-2007, 06:54 PM
You might wanna change the title of the thread to Lakers get Trevor Ariza for junk. :lol :lol :smokin :clap :clap :clap

Purple & Gold
11-20-2007, 06:55 PM
wait a minute, I know of Ariza, Product of UCLA, he can ball! I don't know how he fared in Orlando, but he's coming home now. Great trade by the home team :)

Yeah this is a steal. Can't believe Mitch pulled it off. :clap :clap :clap

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 06:59 PM
It was a good trade but I doubt they gave Ariza significant time until at least after allstar break.

Armando
11-20-2007, 07:01 PM
They gave up Ariza for Cook/Evans? Lakers got a steal.

Purple & Gold
11-20-2007, 07:04 PM
It was a good trade but I doubt they gave Ariza significant time until at least after allstar break.

If he can play defense he will play.

LakeShow
11-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah this is a steal. Can't believe Mitch pulled it off. :clap :clap :clap

I can't believe he did it either! Alright Mitch!!! :toast

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 07:05 PM
If he can play defense he will play.
He can play defense but can't do anything on offense. Except for an occasional layup.

LakeShow
11-20-2007, 07:07 PM
He can play defense but can't do anything on offense. Except for an occasional layup.

That's exactly what the lakers needed.

Purple & Gold
11-20-2007, 07:08 PM
He actually played very well before he got hurt last year. True he's not a great offensive player, but he's not a liability out there. With minutes he will produce.

Purple & Gold
11-20-2007, 07:09 PM
That's exactly what the lakers needed.

:elephant :elephant :elephant

Armando
11-20-2007, 07:09 PM

Bruce Bowen

How soon before he starts kneeing people in the groin?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Bruce Bowen

Bruce can make threes.

How soon before he starts kneeing people in the groin?

I'd say around 12/17. :smokin

Lp26
11-20-2007, 07:55 PM
He's a great defender, extremely athlethic, has no offense though, but fits in with the the Lakers b/c he provides what they're lacking.

Great trade for the Lakers, Magic not so much.

AFBlue
11-20-2007, 10:24 PM
He's a great defender, extremely athlethic, has no offense though, but fits in with the the Lakers b/c he provides what they're lacking.

Great trade for the Lakers, Magic not so much.

Lakers aren't lacking hustle guys, defenders, or SFs....

So, I'm not sure how Ariza helps them out. Luckily for them, he's athletic enough to play the two-spot, though I don't know how effective he'll be as a Shooting Guard who can't shoot.

EDIT: Truth be told, I'm not sure how this helps out either team. Mo Evans and Keith Bogans seem to have similar games, and Brian Cook doesn't seem to have much game outside a three-point shot. Cook may actually be the most effective of the bunch if he can knock down some open shots off a Howard double-team.

Either way, I'm not sure this trade does much to improve either team...

LakeShow
11-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Lakers aren't lacking hustle guys, defenders, or SFs....

You're wrong about that one. A defender is exactly what the Lakers needed!

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2007/11/20/lakers-trade-for-ariza/#more-445

Cook, Evans traded for Ariza
November 20th, 2007 · Post a Comment · posted by kding
The Lakers have traded Brian Cook and Maurice Evans to Orlando for UCLA product Trevor Ariza, an athletic small forward who is just 22. Ariza is 6-foot-8, 210 pounds, and he’s an exciting defensive-oriented player who also lets the Lakers get out from under their rash decision to give the one-dimensional Cook a contract extension that still has three years and $10.5 million remaining.

Phil Jackson said he knows Ariza is so young that he’s mistake-prone and probably isn’t ready to handle many guard duties in the triangle. But Jackson envisions Ariza helping as a defensive stopper who can relieve Kobe Bryant against some of the bigger perimeter scorers in the NBA such as Tracy McGrady. Evans had held that role, but he’s just 6-5 and he had become increasingly offensive-minded while a Laker.

Mitch Kupchak said the reasons the Lakers made the trade were: Ariza gives the Lakers a youthful “dimension” they lacked in a potential defensive ace; and Cook and Evans weren’t going to play much and were expendable because of Ronny Turiaf and Vladimir Radmanovic stepping in at power forward and Sasha Vujacic and Javaris Crittenton awaiting a chance at shooting guard.

The trade works from a salary perspective because Orlando had a $2.6 million trade exception that was expiring Dec. 11 and because Cook was a base-year compensation player. The net result for the Lakers is that they save about $2 million salary for this season — which is really $4 million because they are over the NBA luxury-tax threshold of $67.865 million. The trade leaves the Lakers paying just $1 million in luxury tax.

It's a plus that he can also do this,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yt3_RZpHfeI&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gmRJK2EifKY&feature=related

Purple & Gold
11-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Defense is exactly what the Lakers need. Especially perimeter defense. Ariza will fit right in.

LakeShow
11-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Defense is exactly what the Lakers need. Especially perimeter defense. Ariza will fit right in.

Seems like the perfect player to guard Dirkie too! :toast

angel_luv
11-20-2007, 11:42 PM
I am glad Orlando got Brian.

He is a good guy I think and I will be glad to root for him along with the Magic. :)

Purple & Gold
11-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Seems like the perfect player to guard Dirkie too! :toast

I can't wait till this team starts playing more games together. Barring major injuries we should be running on all cylinders come playoff time.

LakeShow

He is a good guy I think and I will be glad to root for him along with the Magic. :)

+1

Purple & Gold

He can shoot. That's about it though.

angel_luv
11-20-2007, 11:45 PM
He can shoot. That's about it though.

Well look at how Beno is flourishing in Sacramento.

This may be the team for Brian to bring out the best in all of his game.

Here is hoping anyway. :toast

LakeShow
11-20-2007, 11:45 PM
I can't wait till this team starts playing more games together. Barring major injuries we should be running on all cylinders come playoff time.

No Doubt!

I still think we'll move Brown too!

Purple & Gold
11-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Well look at how Beno is flourishing in Sacramento.

This may be the team for Brian to bring out the best in all of his game.

Here is hoping anyway. :toast

I wish no harm to Brian. The guy can shoot. He just wasn't a great fit in L.A. I'm sure he'll be a much better fit in Orlando.

Purple & Gold
11-20-2007, 11:52 PM
No Doubt!

I still think we'll move Brown too!

I wouldn't be surprised if Odom gets moved as well. As long as somebody is willing to give something up for him.

LakeShow
11-20-2007, 11:57 PM
I wish no harm to Brian. The guy can shoot. He just wasn't a great fit in L.A. I'm sure he'll be a much better fit in Orlando.

Ahh, quit trying to sugar coat it! :lol

Angel Luv, no disrespect, but Brian Cook was a cancer for the Lakers. He never ran back on defense, he is a terrible defender when back, he pouted about playing time that he never deserved and he had an attitude that was detrimental to the squad. Let's not forget the towel throwing incident with Phil Jackson. I am very happy that the Lakers are rid of him. I couldn't understand how he lasted this long.

Purple & Gold
11-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Ahh, quit trying to sugar coat it! :lol

:lol :lol :lol

Vinnie_Johnson
11-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Magic make another head scratching move.

Stargazer
11-21-2007, 01:26 AM
So does this mean Kobe is staying for sure? Would they make this trade if they were still thinking about moving Kobe?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-21-2007, 02:03 AM
Magic make another head scratching move.
“Brian (Cook) helps bolster our frontcourt,” said Smith. “He is a power forward who shoots the ball extremely well, while also bringing added toughness to our roster."

I don't know who specifically sold them on that, but yeah...:lol
He has a good shot....I guess...Other than that,
Cook sucks.

Kriz-Maxima
11-21-2007, 08:41 PM
I really like this trade for the Lakers, good move IMO.