PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Hawks - Nov. 20

timvp
11-20-2007, 10:45 PM
The Spurs did a good job of being just too experienced and cohesive for the Hawks for much of the game. The first half was some really nice offense by the Spurs aided by some really bad defense by the Hawks. However, the Hawks have beaten some quality teams this year so it was good to get out of Atlanta with a win.

As far as the Hawks go, they have some nice players. Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Marvin Williams are all quality talents. Al Horford could become a beast if he continues to develop. I have to give props to Mario West (who I didn’t even know was on the Hawks) for coming in and being the catalyst in making it an actual competitive game. He fouled out in eight minutes but he woke up an otherwise dead arena.

-Tim Duncan was decent. The Hawks were paying a lot of attention to him so he responded by handing out six assists. He only had 13 points, seven rebounds and a block but he played a little better than those stats indicate. Duncan gave far from a playoff effort but he gave more of an effort than he did in a couple earlier games this season.

-In the first half, Manu Ginobili was really good. On both ends of the court, he was coming up with big plays. I thought his first half defense was some of the best defense he’s played all year. In the second half, Ginobili took his foot off the pedal. West came in and disrupted him and Ginobili got thrown off rhythm. However, by the end of the game Ginobili was playing well again.

-Tony Parker had a really nice game. 31 points and nine assists while hitting 13-of-20 shots from the field is a good day for anybody. I really liked the way he attacked the basket and relentlessly created plays for himself or others. When he plays hard and with purpose, there are few better point guards in the league. Also of note is that Parker had two turnovers in the first couple minutes of the game … and didn’t have another for the rest of the night.

-Bruce Bowen played nice defense on whichever of the quick swingmen he was asked to defend. Nothing overly special; just another night at the office for Bowen. His defense is so good there really isn’t much to say from game to game this year. At the beginning of last year, his defense wasn’t always there. That hasn’t been the case this season.

-It was good to see Michael Finley have back-to-back good outings. He hit 4-of-9 shots from the field and even played some defense. The Spurs don’t need much from Finley this season but if he can at least hold serve and mix in a couple of explosive outings, he’ll be doing his job. You can file this game under the “holding serve” category.

-Fabricio Oberto was just too crafty for the Hawks. He’s another player, like Finley, who has now put together a pair of good showings in a row. Oberto finished with 10 points and 10 rebounds in 24 minutes of play. Most of his production was just by knowing where to be on both ends of the court.

-Matt Bonner finally had a decent game. He had been struggling of late but his energy and effectiveness were higher this game. He was 1-for-5 from the floor but I can live with him missing shots as long as he’s playing halfway competently. His defense was better and his rebounding (6 in 22 minutes) was nice.

-Again, you look at Jacque Vaughn’s line (2 points, 2 assists in 14 minutes) and you aren’t blown away. But I’m starting to see why Pop was so eager to get him back on the court. He’s becoming a team leader and you can count on him to at least bring energy. I’m still not convinced he won’t be a liability in the playoffs but for now, Vaughn is doing his job.

-Where has Francisco Elson gone? He had some nice games earlier in the season but these sort of disappearing acts aren’t great to see. Two points and one rebound in 12 minutes against a team that likes to run up and down the court? I’m not sure if Elson missed the bus to the game but it’d be nice to get back the player who was at least active earlier in the season.

-Ime Udoka was put into the game in the first half and Udoka responded by burying a three-pointer. In the second half, Udoka got some more playing time but his shot was off. He ended up missing his final three shots from the field. You can tell that Pop is hoping to ease Udoka into the mix but as of yet, Udoka hasn’t seized the opportunity. He’s experiencing some of the first-season-with-the-Spurs shooting woes, which isn’t helping.

-Pop coached a pretty good game. The Spurs got lazy a bit defensively and Pop called a timeout to correct it. When the Hawks made their run, Pop didn’t call a timeout and forced the Spurs to figure it out by themselves. He also didn’t play anyone over 35 minutes, which should help on the back-to-back against the Orlando Magic tomorrow night. One thing I do find weird, however, is the fact that Brent Barry got a DNP-CD. Pop recently said he wanted to find a way to get Barry some more playing time. Perhaps Pop was resting Barry for tomorrow or didn’t want Barry trying to chase around the Atlanta athletes. Whatever the case, it appears that Pop is counting down the days before Udoka can claim that fourth swingman spot in the rotation.

Admidave50
11-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Nice report as always!

Our team is looking good so far, I'm just eager to see Udoka finally playing well within the system!

urunobili
11-20-2007, 10:59 PM
no love for Manu's right handed dunk?

anjlbitz
11-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I think Barry hurt his wrist. I was listening on NBA.com and the announcers mentioned it.

duncan228
11-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks timvp. I look forward to your thoughts every game.
I agree with you so I won't repeat what you said.

Just a few things I noticed...I think that Duncan's energy in the first half helped them get the start they did. His stat line never tells the whole story of the impact he has on both ends of the court.

Parker was incredible. When he's on he's a joy to watch.

Oberto does have a knack for being in the right place. I love how many possessions he gets us a second shot at.

I like how jelled this team seems to be so early in the season.
There's lots to work on, there always is. But if they're this tight this early I think we're in for a pleasant ride.

At least until they hit their first losing skid...and ST implodes! :lol

timvp
11-20-2007, 11:03 PM
I think Barry hurt his wrist. I was listening on NBA.com and the announcers mentioned it.Thanks :tu

Hadn't heard anything but that would explain it.

whottt
11-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah Pop said on the post game that Barry was injured and they want to make sure he's ok before putting him on the court again.

tav1
11-20-2007, 11:19 PM
TimVP: I didn't watch the game nor have I seen any Atlanta game this season. Two questions: First, if Pop is trying to phase Barry out with Udoka, which makes sense to me, do you see the Spurs potentially trading Barry in Febraury? Second, Josh Childress' stat lines are somewhat impressive--he's long, an above average rebounder for his position and has an increasingly accurate three point shot. Does he strike you as a player the Spurs would target next summer?

boutons_
11-21-2007, 12:08 AM
Manu has scored with his right hand more in the last couple games than I can remember in the past couple years.

BradLohaus
11-21-2007, 12:10 AM
The Hawks didn't make a single 3 (0-8). I don't think I've ever seen that before in all the box scores I've seen.

I remember in one game last year the Hawks only took one 3 - Joe Johnson took it and made it.

E20
11-21-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm just glad that Parker is out of his 2 game slump.

Irked that Manu didn't score above or at his average of 20. :lol

mffl89
11-21-2007, 12:15 AM
"We lost two important games against Phoenix and Dallas early in the season, so we knew we had to bring it for 48 minutes," Ginobili said. "We were just trying to be aggressive, get back on track."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=271120001

I think someone hit Manu on the head.

THE SIXTH MAN
11-21-2007, 12:18 AM
"We lost two important games against Phoenix and Dallas early in the season, so we knew we had to bring it for 48 minutes," Ginobili said. "We were just trying to be aggressive, get back on track."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=271120001

I think someone hit Manu on the head.
Thats a typo because in the actual interview he said Houston and Dallas.

SenorSpur
11-21-2007, 02:00 AM
Thanks timvp. I look forward to your thoughts every game.

Same here! Great review, as always.

:toast

BeerIsGood!
11-21-2007, 03:09 AM
I won't add anything to the Spurs analysis because timvp was spot on. I will add a bit about the Hawks for anyone that couldn't see the game. Horford was impressive as a rookie. He's got a good motor and damn good instincts in the post. The guy is damn strong and muscled Elson and even TD for a few baskets. The rest of the NBA should be damn happy he isn't a few inches taller and longer. Mario West is the DW of the Hawks - a longshot in camp who hustled his ass off into a spot. I hope he does well for them. Josh smith is an athletic freak who has talent but needs to learn to play within the system. Overall, a team with talent that can gel into a tough out.

smeagol
11-21-2007, 05:08 AM
-In the first half, Manu Ginobili was really good. On both ends of the court, he was coming up with big plays. I thought his first half defense was some of the best defense he’s played all year. In the second half, Ginobili took his foot off the pedal. West came in and disrupted him and Ginobili got thrown off rhythm. However, by the end of the game Ginobili was playing well again.

He was OK, but he threw Manu out of rhythm . . . you know . . . ny not passing him the rock enough :spin

1Parker1
11-21-2007, 07:12 AM
I’m still not convinced he won’t be a liability in the playoffs but for now, Vaughn is doing his job.

Me either. The Dallas game earlier this season was a prime example of why I think the Spurs are yet again without a quality backup point guard. If Parker is struggling in a playoff game, they need a PG who can come in and put at least somewhat of a pressure on the other team's defense. Yes Vaughn is a good leader, but do the Spurs really need another one? Manu is technically the leader of that 2nd unit anyways. Vuaghn's offense is limited, teams can afford to sag off him and double Ginobili/Duncan, I think his defense is overrated by many (he plays good pressure defense up the court and that's about it). The only positive I can say about Vaughn is that he seems to have gotten an understanding of the Spurs game plan. I still say he got on a lucky streak last postseason, hitting a couple of timely shots etc.

His game translates as a good backup PG in the regular season where he can just come in and bring the ball up and make sure he doesn't turn the ball over. But in a postseason game, they need a stronger PG than someone like him. I guess you can always use Ginobili/Barry at point, however, it really annoys me that the Spurs still haven't addressed the backup PG issue and that Jaque Vaughn was the best they could do...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Great thread to all involved. Unfortunately I have little to say as the game was not televised over here.

AnotherArgie
11-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks timvp. For all of us who weren't able to watch the game, this game thoughts are priceless.

samikeyp
11-21-2007, 11:03 AM
However, the Hawks have beaten some quality teams this year so it was good to get out of Atlanta with a win.

Very true..for some reason over the years, the Spurs have struggled there...they mentioned during the broadcast that Tim Duncan was only 5-4 (6-4 after last night) in games in Atlanta.

gospursgooo
11-21-2007, 12:51 PM
-Tony Parker had a really nice game. 31 points and nine assists while hitting 13-of-20 shots from the field is a good day for anybody. I really liked the way he attacked the basket and relentlessly created plays for himself or others.

He did it for himself much more often than for others.

Southwest Texas Fan
11-21-2007, 02:11 PM
[

I noticed Gino seemed a little off kilter after the steals by West. He stayed with it and got back into groove after West picked up his 6Th foul.