PDA

View Full Version : Texans getting healthy, eye AFC wild card berth

ATRAIN
11-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Texans getting healthy, eye AFC wild card berth
November 19, 2007

By Scott Serrano
PA SportsTicker Staff Writer

The Houston Texans are getting healthy on offense, just in time to make a surprising playoff push.

On Sunday, the Texans (5-5) welcomed back two of their most important players in quarterback Matt Schaub and wide receiver Andre Johnson as they defeated the New Orleans Saints, 23-10.

Schaub missed Houston's 24-17 Week Nine victory over the Oakland Raiders with hip and head injuries, but recovered enough after last week's bye to suit up on Sunday. In his return, Schaub completed 21-of-33 passes for 293 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions.

Johnson, Schaub's favorite target, played in his first game since suffering sprained left knee ligaments in Week Two. In his highly anticipated return, Johnson caught a team-high six passes for 120 yards, including a 73-yard touchdown.

In just three appearances this season, Johnson has 20 catches for 382 yards and four touchdowns. Among players with at least 20 receptions this season, Johnson leads the way at 19.1 yards per catch.

Most importantly, the Texans are a perfect 3-0 when Johnson has played this season.

"Just his presence on the team is unbelievable," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "You could feel it in the stadium when Andre Johnson is on the field.

"He's the heart and soul of this franchise, not just this team."

While key cogs in the passing game are almost back to full strength, the running game will likely not be at full strength for the remainder of the season.

Starting halfback Ahman Green missed Sunday's game with a left knee injury which has put his season in jeopardy.

In Green's place, former Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne stepped into the starting lineup and rushed 21 times for 89 yards to give the Texans a balanced attack.

"Just being able to move the ball, that really helps a lot, keeping the defense off the field," Dayne said. "And the line played real well. The receivers played great. So as long as we all play together, ain't no telling what we could do."

If Dayne can continue to move the ball on the ground, and if Schaub and Johnson can stay healthy, the Texans should challenge for an AFC wild card berth. A win over the Cleveland Browns this upcoming Sunday would greatly help that cause.

"It's exciting right now," Kubiak said. "I made the comment at Oakland that one thing I'd like to see happen is see this franchise and this football team play some real big games down the stretch, and see these players and people experience what that's like.

"It didn't look good a few weeks ago, but we worked really hard to get to the point we're at. We're excited about moving forward. We've got to take them one at a time and continue to try to clean ourselves up - regardless of who we're playing, and I think if we can do that we'll be very competitive."

Extra Stout
11-21-2007, 11:57 AM
The Texans are not really a credible playoff contender. Cleveland is going to beat the crap out of them.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-21-2007, 11:58 AM
For the sake of the Cowboys' 1st rounder, Go Texans!

ATRAIN
11-21-2007, 12:01 PM
The Texans are not really a credible playoff contender. Cleveland is going to beat the crap out of them.

Well even though im a homer, first 2 games our team was healthy and we were 2-0, then Andre went down and its been a struggle. This guy has it pretty much on the nose. Andre commands sooo much attention its easy to open the running game and passing game up. I see it the same way with the Colts, since Harrison has been down they haven't been too hot.

samikeyp
11-21-2007, 12:02 PM
They can eye it all they want, they won't get it.

I would like to see them make the playoffs though.

ATRAIN
11-21-2007, 12:03 PM
They can eye it all they want, they won't get it.

I would like to see them make the playoffs though.

Its possible, but of course they need to beat the Titans next meeting and beat Denver and the Browns. Its within reach.

Extra Stout
11-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Well even though im a homer, first 2 games our team was healthy and we were 2-0, then Andre went down and its been a struggle. This guy has it pretty much on the nose. Andre commands sooo much attention its easy to open the running game and passing game up. I see it the same way with the Colts, since Harrison has been down they haven't been too hot.
Patchwork secondary + Browns' offense = Texans giving up 40 points on Sunday.

ATRAIN
11-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Patchwork secondary + Browns' offense = Texans giving up 40 points on Sunday.

Its going to be a shootout thats for sure. Yeah our secondary isnt too good especially since we lost Dunta. Don't be surprised if we see a Texans win though.

midgetonadonkey
11-21-2007, 01:14 PM
As much as I would love to see them in the playoffs, I don't see it happening. The secondary is way to banged up. Many, many points will be given up. They are still missing a LT that can block anyone and Flanagan can't run block for shit and they really don't have any explosive RBs that can help them balance things out.

Luckily, the Browns secondary sucks as much as the Texans' secondary so this game has "shoot out" written all over it. Hopefully they will get over their turnover syndrome and get a win.

All I've hoped for since the end of last year is for them to come out either of the season without a losing record. 9-7 would be great but 8-8 is a good season.

Extra Stout
11-21-2007, 01:24 PM
As much as I would love to see them in the playoffs, I don't see it happening. The secondary is way to banged up. Many, many points will be given up. They are still missing a LT that can block anyone and Flanagan can't run block for shit and they really don't have any explosive RBs that can help them balance things out.

Luckily, the Browns secondary sucks as much as the Texans' secondary so this game has "shoot out" written all over it. Hopefully they will get over their turnover syndrome and get a win.

All I've hoped for since the end of last year is for them to come out either of the season without a losing record. 9-7 would be great but 8-8 is a good season.
I think #1 priority in the offseason, above upgrades to the offensive line, and finding a decent RB, is fitting Mike Sherman with a shock collar, so that whenever he says, "There's this guy I coached in Green Bay who I think we should BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT

Thunder Dan
11-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Luckily, the Browns secondary sucks as much as the Texans' secondary so this game has "shoot out" written all over it. H

The Browns secondary isn't that bad, it's the Browns' inability to generate a pass rush that makes them look bad. But their secondary isn't bad.

midgetonadonkey
11-21-2007, 01:32 PM
I think #1 priority in the offseason, above upgrades to the offensive line, and finding a decent RB, is fitting Mike Sherman with a shock collar, so that whenever he says, "There's this guy I coached in Green Bay who I think we should BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT

Kubiak needs one of those too.

Extra Stout
11-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Kubiak needs one of those too.
For former Broncos, yes.

ATRAIN
11-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Dammit, those 2 turnovers which turned into 14 points was the major factor in our loss to the browns and now pretty much ends our season. I just hope we go about 500.

spursRgay
11-26-2007, 04:15 PM
the texans just aren't consistent enough to be legitimate contenders. however, they are on the right track and they will only get better the healthier they get. maybe next year.

703 Spurz
11-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Houston and Cleveland in the playoffs?

:drunk :drunk :drunk

midgetonadonkey
12-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Nice game from them yesterday. Look like Dayne tweaked his ankle and Darius Walker saw quite a few carries. From what I've heard, they didn't show the game, he was fairly productive. Hopefully they can build some confidence after beating a playoff team. A non-losing season is still possible. Too bad the last 3 games are tough. They got Denver at home and then Indy and Jax. Hopefully those two teams will be resting starters for the playoffs and the Texans get end the season with a 4 game win streak. Not likely but I'm hoping.

peewee's lovechild
12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Nice game from them yesterday. Look like Dayne tweaked his ankle and Darius Walker saw quite a few carries. From what I've heard, they didn't show the game, he was fairly productive. Hopefully they can build some confidence after beating a playoff team. A non-losing season is still possible. Too bad the last 3 games are tough. They got Denver at home and then Indy and Jax. Hopefully those two teams will be resting starters for the playoffs and the Texans get end the season with a 4 game win streak. Not likely but I'm hoping.

Indy and Jax are seperated by one game, so I don't think they'll be resting any players anytime soon. A winning season is still a possibility, but it's unlikely.

midgetonadonkey
12-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Indy and Jax are seperated by one game, so I don't think they'll be resting any players anytime soon. A winning season is still a possibility, but it's unlikely.

I'm just hoping for a non-losing season. A winning season would be a bonus.

J.T.
12-10-2007, 06:40 PM
I should go watch the Colts vs Raiders game at my dad's house this week, where the Colts are 0-4 when I watch it there, guaranteeing them to play starters against Houston in Week 17.