PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Assign Mahinmi To D-League

Spurs Brazil
11-21-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/49334/20071121/spurs_assign_mahinmi_to_d_league/

Spurs Assign Mahinmi To D-League
November 21, 2007 - 1:47 pm
RealGM Staff Report -
The San Antonio Spurs announced on Wednesday that they assigned rookie Ian Mahinmi to their NBA Development League affiliate Austin Toros. Mahinmi has appeared in six games for the Spurs, averaging 3.5 points in 3.8 minutes per game. He finished with a season high 12 points and two blocks in 12 minutes of action vs. Milwaukee on November 11.

With Mahinmi’s assignment, the D-League reaches nine assigned players at a record pace. Nine players were not assigned for the 2006-07 season until December 29, 2006 and December 14, 2005 during the 2005-06 season. Mahinmi joins Ramon Sessions (Milwaukee/Tulsa), Kyrylo Fesenko (Utah Jazz /Utah Flash), Steve Novak (Houston/Rio Grande Valley), Brandon Wallace (Boston/Utah Flash), JamesOn Curry (Chicago/Iowa) Kosta Perovic (Golden State/Bakersfield), Nick Fazekas (Dallas/Tulsa) and Marcin Gortat (Orlando/Anaheim).

Mahinmi becomes the first player the Spurs have assigned to the Toros since Spurs Sports & Entertainment purchased the Austin D-League franchise on June 28, 2007. The Spurs joined the L.A. Lakers as the second NBA team to own a D-League team (the Lakers own the L.A. Defenders). The Toros are led by first-year head coach Quin Snyder. [READ]

chasky
11-21-2007, 02:06 PM
only one cause for this Robert Horry is back!

however Mahimi it a good prospect.

thispego
11-21-2007, 02:14 PM
lol, nick fazekas is on OUR d-league team?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Nice. :tu

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-21-2007, 02:15 PM
no.

sa_butta
11-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Hope he works on his offensive sets. He is a very good defender, but he really needs work around the basket. Should be a nice fit come next season.

Solid D
11-21-2007, 02:21 PM
This should be good for Ian.

He is assigned to the Tulsa 66ers.

Fazekas is a good basketball player with nice skills around the basket and he is a good screen-setter. His down-side is he is slow and a much worse defender at the NBA level than he showed in college.

loveforthegame
11-21-2007, 02:22 PM
It's a good move as he will get plenty of minutes there.

I wonder why Washington wasn't assigned as well?

bdictjames
11-21-2007, 02:22 PM
D-League MVP all the way!! Go Mahinmi!!

Bruno
11-21-2007, 03:31 PM
I wonder why Washington wasn't assigned as well?

Spurs have only 11 healthy players outside Mahinmi and Washington. Washington will likely be send down when Horry will come back and when he will be put on the inactive list.

thispego
11-21-2007, 03:36 PM
no.

He is assigned to the Tulsa 66ers.

Fazekas is a good basketball player with nice skills around the basket and he is a good screen-setter. His down-side is he is slow and a much worse defender at the NBA level than he showed in college.
ok, i'm being a little careless in my post scanning lately. damnit.

Solid D
11-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Spurs have only 11 healthy players outside Mahinmi and Washington. Washington will likely be send down when Horry will come back and when he will be put on the inactive list.

I am wondering if Pop might just keep Darius around....no D-League. Darius may be in a suit & tie some of the time, but I know Pop likes to keep 3 PGs. He likes 3 PGs, not just for injury protection, but for defending small lineups.

I know what was said about Darius and Ian, but there is something special about Darius. He's very strong, can score and he brings some + energy. When is the last time the Spurs have had two reserve PGs who were strong with the ball...and on the ball?

whottt
11-21-2007, 05:50 PM
I am wondering if Pop doesn't keep Darius around....no D-League. Darius may be in a suit & tie some of the time, but I know Pop likes to keep 3 PGs. He likes 3 PGs, not just for injury protection, but for defending small lineups.

I know what was said about Darius and Ian, but there is something special about Darius. He's very strong, can score and he brings some + energy. When is the last time the Spurs have had two reserve PGs who were strong with the ball...and on the ball?

Yeah...but the beauty of it is...the Toros run much of the same stuff the Spurs do...and it's not hard to call him up if needed.

Just 60 miles.

They did that with James White last season...

ChumpDumper
11-21-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't think Vaughn is 100% yet, and the Spurs probably don't want to send Washignton down just to potentially bring him back in a day or two. They can only send a player down three times in a season.

exstatic
11-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Dominate, Ian, and it will be your last year in the DL.

picnroll
11-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Only sending a player down three times a season has to be the next rule to go.

whottt
11-21-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't think Vaughn is 100% yet, and the Spurs probably don't want to send Washignton down just to potentially bring him back in a day or two. They can only send a player down three times in a season.

I don't see not being able to call him back up again as a huge difference from keeping him here now...if the PT isn't the top priority, it isn't the top priority.

Not a huge difference...

IMO, if he has an extended stay on the Spurs roster right now...it'll because he's showing he has the potential to contribute to Spurs games...right now.

Bruno
11-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Washington has played only three minutes in the two games since veteran Jacque Vaughn returned to back up point guard Tony Parker and Mahinmi has played only four minutes in the past three games. With the Toros scheduled to open the NBDL season on Friday, both players likely will head to Austin to gain valuable game experience.

"We're going to look at their schedule, see if there are going to be a lot of games," Popovich said. "With Jacque getting healthy it will probably be good for both Darius and Ian to get down there so they can play 35 minutes and get some experience, instead of sitting at the end of our bench and cheering."

When you look at Toros schedule, they will play only 4 games between now and December 7th. Toros will play 7 games between December 8th and December 21th.
I can see Pop keeping Washington for the moment while Horry is out and Vaughn isn't maybe at 100% and send him in Dleague for at least these 7 games.
The rest will be decided by Washington. If he dominates the D-League (like Barea did last year), Pop could bring him back and do what Solid D said. If he isn't that great he will stay a little longer in Austin.

ChumpDumper
11-21-2007, 06:51 PM
I think either explanation is possible, but the fact he's not playing now that Vaughn is back seems to say a lot. Vaughn isn't 100% but he's playing over DW, so DW is there for insurance and practice purposes. Those are definitely priorities over joining the Toros at this point. We'll see how things shake out. I know Darius needs to improve his game, and Vaughn hasn't played badly enough to be usurped -- so where is Darius going to get the most practice and PT?

AFBlue
11-21-2007, 07:00 PM
I think either explanation is possible, but the fact he's not playing now that Vaughn is back seems to say a lot. Vaughn isn't 100% but he's playing over DW, so DW is there for insurance and practice purposes. Those are definitely priorities over joining the Toros at this point. We'll see how things shake out. I know Darius needs to improve his game, and Vaughn hasn't played badly enough to be usurped -- so where is Darius going to get the most practice and PT?

It's really about the two schools of thought on development. Do the Spurs want to teach the fundamentals via practice against top tier NBA talent, or do they want trial-by-fire in the lesser league?

IMO, both are effective and both should be used.

Right now a roster spot is open, Vaughn is coming back from a mid-grade injury, and Barry has been limited by an injury as well. Darius can gain valuable experience being the practice dummy against the Finals MVP, until it's time for him to go to Austin and apply what he's learned.

The same can be said for Mahinmi, who no doubt got some valuable lessons practicing against an all-time great.

Bottom Line: Getting both players extended PT in Austin will be great for their development when the time is right. But they didn't hurt themselves by being with the big club either.

ChumpDumper
11-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Right, two guards not at 100% = keeping Darius in San Antonio for the time being.

timvp
11-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Even though it's not a huge part of the equation, you also have to think about it from the Toro's perspective. They spent like half their draft picks on point guards and point guard seems to be their biggest weakness. If Washington is sent down right away and plays big minutes at PG, the Toros can't continue their evaluation of their current PGs. Eventually the Toros have to figure out if they have an able point guard on their roster for the time that Washington isn't down there.

But yeah, I'd bet that the biggest reason currently is the health of the guards. Vaughn's calf injury is an injury that can be re-injured at any moment. Barry is banged up. Even Parker had a two game stretch where he played with dead legs due to fatigue. The Spurs can use Washington at point or even shooting guard if needed.

barbacoataco
11-21-2007, 08:44 PM
I think I remember seeing the Spurs use Parker and Washington at the same time at least once this season. I agree that they are keeping him in San Antonio because they need him. And until Horry is ready to play, they wouldn't have 12 active players if they sent Washington off.

clubalien
11-21-2007, 10:20 PM
ian better not be cut from this team like our other draft pick

AFBlue
11-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Even though it's not a huge part of the equation, you also have to think about it from the Toro's perspective. They spent like half their draft picks on point guards and point guard seems to be their biggest weakness. If Washington is sent down right away and plays big minutes at PG, the Toros can't continue their evaluation of their current PGs. Eventually the Toros have to figure out if they have an able point guard on their roster for the time that Washington isn't down there.

But yeah, I'd bet that the biggest reason currently is the health of the guards. Vaughn's calf injury is an injury that can be re-injured at any moment. Barry is banged up. Even Parker had a two game stretch where he played with dead legs due to fatigue. The Spurs can use Washington at point or even shooting guard if needed.

It's good to know that the Spurs can afford the luxury of keeping a guy who can contribute or sending him down for more development.

IMO, Washington being with the big club is a temporary situation and he'll spend a good part of the next three months in Austin (barring injury).

When that happens, as you mentioned there won't be a need for all of those PGs. Expect ya boy Marcus Williams to get picked up and one of those many PGs to get the axe.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-21-2007, 11:09 PM
ian better not be cut from this team like our other draft pick
I can guarantee you he won't be cut at least this season.

AFBlue
11-21-2007, 11:13 PM
I can guarantee you he won't be cut at least this season.

Probably for at least two or three seasons...

Typically a first round pick gets two guaranteed seasons before the teams begin deciding on options.