View Full Version : Priest Holmes retires from NFL

mardigan
11-21-2007, 03:29 PM
HOLMES RETIRES FROM NFL

Priest Holmes has retired from the NFL, ending his brief comeback with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Flanked by family members and Chiefs president Carl Peterson, Holmes officially announced his decision on Wednesday afternoon during a news conference at Arrowhead Stadium.

Holmes said: "I have truly been blessed with the opportunity to play in the National Football League."

"I will be forever grateful to the Hunt family and the Chiefs organisation for the opportunity to come to Kansas City, where the community embraced me from day one."

Holmes retired exactly one month after making his season debut on October 21 against the Oakland Raiders, completing an improbable return from multiple neck and head injuries which sidelined him for two years.

However, Holmes suffered another neck injury in last Sunday's 13-10 loss to the Indianapolis Colts and decided to call it quits after meeting with doctors this week.

Holmes was injured on a tackle by San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman on October 30 2005.

A three-time Pro Bowl running back, Holmes sat out all of the 2006 season and was not placed on the active roster this season until mid-October.

But Holmes made his way back into the starting line-up after Chiefs star running back Larry Johnson was injured during a 33-32 loss to the Green Bay Packers on November 4.

The 34-year-old proved particularly effective in starting Kansas City's last two games, rushing for a total of 120 yards on 39 carries.

From 2002-04, Holmes amassed 66 total touchdowns, an NFL record for a three-year span.

Holmes added: "I have been humbled by the tremendous support that I have received from Chiefs fans over the years."

"I was grateful to be part of a Super Bowl team in Baltimore, but I will always fondly remember my time in Kansas City and the many great players and coaches that provided me an opportunity to be successful."

Signed in April 2001 after spending his first four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, Holmes rushed for 5,933 yards and 76 touchdowns in 61 games with the Chiefs.

In 11 seasons, Holmes has rushed for 8,172 yards and 86 touchdowns.

His best season was 2003, when he ran for 1,420 yards and 27 touchdowns.

"In the business of the NFL we are privileged to sometimes be in the presence of a magnificent athlete," Peterson said.

"We're also privileged to sometimes be in the presence of a magnificent person. Priest Holmes exemplifies both individuals.

"Priest has given this organisation all he could possibly give. He has been an outstanding player, team-mate and contributor on and off the field."

http://www.sportinglife.com/nfl/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=international_feed/07/11/21/GRIDIRON_USA-Kansas_City.html

midgetonadonkey
11-21-2007, 03:32 PM
That sucks. I had him starting on my fantasy team.

FromWayDowntown
11-21-2007, 03:40 PM
It's a bittersweet day. I'm sad to know that I'll never get another chance to watch the man play football; but I'm proud of the guy for all that he accomplished and for the commitment, pride, and class that he showed while he was playing. To go from where he started -- to overcome all of the many who doubted him -- and become an All-Pro and Offensive MVP in the NFL is nothing short of remarkable, I think.

I'm glad that Priest at least made it all the way back to being a featured back (even if only for 2 weeks) and was able to play relatively well for a guy who missed a substantial amount of time due to a career-threatening injury. He went out strong and got to make his own decision about walking away from football.

He's been a great success as a football player; he'll continue to be a great success at life.

samikeyp
11-21-2007, 03:47 PM
:toast

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Very sad. Although the odds were tough, I was really pulling for him to recover and restart his NFL career. Very unfortunate for him. He had an amazing career up until now. He is a great person and he is one of my all-time favorites.

Props to you Priest Holmes. :toast May you find as much happiness in another profession.

FromWayDowntown
11-21-2007, 05:05 PM
He was a great person and he is one of my all-time favorites.

He didn't die. He still IS a great person.

FromWayDowntown
11-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Some numbers to give some perspective to the guy's career:

He retires as #35 on the All-Time rushing list with 8,172 career yards. He's 14th All-Time in rushing touchdowns with 86. He's also 22nd in total touchdowns with 94. And he's 50th All-Time in total yards with 11,134 yards. All of that despite the fact that he got 200 carries in a season only 4 times in his career.

My other favorite Priest number -- there's a pretty select group of players who've reached 2,000 total yards from scrimmage more than once in a career, and fewer still who reached that plateau more regularly than Priest:

2000+ Total Yards seasons
4 - Marshall Faulk
3 - LaDanian Tomlinson
3 - Priest Holmes
3 - Eric Dickerson
3 - Tiki Barber
2 - Barry Sanders
2 - Edgerrin James
2 - OJ Simpson
2 - Terrell Davis
2 - Larry Johnson
2 - William Andrews
2 - Thurman Thomas
2 - Roger Craig
2 - Walter Payton

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-21-2007, 05:29 PM
He didn't die. He still IS a great person.
LOL okay I fixed it.

johnsmith
11-21-2007, 06:17 PM
and got to make his own decision about walking away from football.

Didn't he get hurt again?

clubalien
11-21-2007, 10:45 PM
this relgious dude is probaly got the most coverage on local tv her of any KC player

Vinnie_Johnson
11-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Some numbers to give some perspective to the guy's career:

He retires as #35 on the All-Time rushing list with 8,172 career yards. He's 14th All-Time in rushing touchdowns with 86. He's also 22nd in total touchdowns with 94. And he's 50th All-Time in total yards with 11,134 yards. All of that despite the fact that he got 200 carries in a season only 4 times in his career.

My other favorite Priest number -- there's a pretty select group of players who've reached 2,000 total yards from scrimmage more than once in a career, and fewer still who reached that plateau more regularly than Priest:

2000+ Total Yards seasons
4 - Marshall Faulk
3 - LaDanian Tomlinson
3 - Priest Holmes
3 - Eric Dickerson
3 - Tiki Barber
2 - Barry Sanders
2 - Edgerrin James
2 - OJ Simpson
2 - Terrell Davis
2 - Larry Johnson
2 - William Andrews
2 - Thurman Thomas
2 - Roger Craig
2 - Walter Payton

Holly Cow i didn't think TO would be in the mix :clap

JustSpurs
11-22-2007, 01:44 AM
He's a class act.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2007, 01:58 AM
T.O.?

jman3000
11-22-2007, 01:59 AM
marshall alums are cool like that.

johnsmith
11-22-2007, 10:24 AM

Sweet, now we are making things up so we can talk about TO.