PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan- Forward on Allstar ballot??!!

purple_blaze_98
11-21-2007, 06:48 PM
I just voted! Tim's a forward!!!

purple_blaze_98
11-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Check it out!!! :clap

Bruno
11-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Wow, they have moved him. The west ballot has now 25 forward sand 11 centers.

Bruno
11-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Antoine Walker is still a guard. I guess that he sucks so much that they don't care about him being at the wrong place. :)

duncan228
11-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Cool. I didn't think they would move him.
They didn't say anything about it, I wonder if there will be any kind of statement.

Extra Stout
11-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Somebody at the NBA office woke up and realized that either Tim Duncan or Amare Stoudemire was going to be left off the West roster unless somebody did something.

~Sweetmelody~
11-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Really? Wow!
NBA does Care!

PM5K
11-21-2007, 07:18 PM
So has Amare always been listed as a center?

timvp
11-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Nice job :tu

It was really damn dumb for Duncan to be listed as a center seeing as the Spurs themselves list him as a power forward every game. I can't believe Mike Monroe actually has a voice in anything that has to do with the NBA ... even something a trivial as the All-Star game.

Dex
11-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Well that was awful nice of them.

Maybe I'll actually vote now.

meta2007
11-21-2007, 07:24 PM
I guess they found out current leading votes in forward positions are Scola and Battier! :lol

duncan228
11-21-2007, 07:25 PM
NBA does Care!

Cute. :lol

exstatic
11-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Tim is a pimp. He's the Godfather. Did he throw a hissy in the press? No. He probably made a few calls and got it changed.

Walter Craparita
11-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Ehhhh That's funny they made the switch.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Tim is a pimp. He's the Godfather. Did he throw a hissy in the press? No. He probably made a few calls and got it changed.
On Tim Duncan's watch there are no numbers. It just simply says: Time to Kick Ass!

jmard5
11-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Alright. At least they listened.

carina_gino20
11-21-2007, 07:51 PM
that's cool.

mystargtr34
11-21-2007, 09:21 PM
http://www.nba.com/nba_news/duncan_ballot.html

NBA Announcement.... hes only been shifted on the online ballot.... the paper ballots still have him as Centre but the votes will count to him as a Forward obviously...

duncan228
11-21-2007, 09:23 PM

NBA Announcement.... hes only been shifted on the online ballot.... the paper ballots still have him as Centre but the votes will count to him as a Forward obviously...

Thanks for posting the announcement.

timmy21_4rings
11-21-2007, 09:29 PM
good job NBA

Man of Steel
11-21-2007, 09:49 PM
How do you vote?

duncan228
11-21-2007, 09:53 PM
How do you vote?

NBA.com
You've got to be a member, if you're not it's easy to sign up.

SpursFanFirst
11-21-2007, 10:31 PM

That's cool. I was wondering how they were going to work it with the votes that were already cast, and whether it would screw anything up.

phyzik
11-21-2007, 11:53 PM
wow.... someone in the NBA actually did something before the season ended for a change?

bdictjames
11-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Well Tim was happy with this, as you see with his 20-point, 16 rebound game.

Admidave50
11-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Nice, it would have meant the end of Duncan as an all star! I believe that he would have tried to avoid this event if he wasn't forced by the fans..

spursparker9
11-22-2007, 12:17 AM
let's vote for all the spurs

milkyway21
11-22-2007, 02:03 AM
wow :wow DUNCAN WILL BE STARTING FOR THE 9TH CONSECUTIVE SEASON, people ! :elephant

NEW YORK -- The NBA shifted Tim Duncan from center to forward on its All-Star ballot on Wednesday, boosting the San Antonio player's chances of making his ninth consecutive start.

Advertisement

The seven-member media panel that selected the players for the original ballot had Duncan as a center, even though he has always been listed as a forward. He was voted to start for the Western Conference each of the last eight seasons, but that streak would have been in jeopardy if he was a center.

"It's great. I have an opportunity to make the team now," Duncan said after the Spurs 128-110 win over the Orlando Magic on Wednesday. "To have an opportunity to be back on the ballot and to be at the forward, and to have a chance to start, it's an honor."

Houston center Yao Ming gets overwhelming support from China and has been elected to start every year of his career. He received the highest vote total in history in 2005, and the fourth-highest ever last season.

"It's great that they did that. ... It makes total sense and we're thrilled that they made that change," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said in San Antonio. "That's what he's been, he's been that way (a power forward) for 10 years. There's no reason to change it."

Though the paper ballots can't be changed, Duncan will be moved to forward on the online ballot on www.nba.com. All votes he has received or receives in the future will be credited toward him at forward.

The All-Star Game is Feb. 17 in New Orleans.

AP NEWS

Indazone
11-22-2007, 03:58 AM
cause at Ctr position Yao > Duncan :)

So this means another Backup Ctr for Yao in the West. Who will it be? Kaman? Miller? Amare?

TampaDude
11-22-2007, 04:58 AM
cause at Ctr position Yao > Duncan :)

So this means another Backup Ctr for Yao in the West. Who will it be? Kaman? Miller? Amare?

Amare, most likely.

planaria
11-22-2007, 06:33 AM
Really? Wow!
NBA does Care!

It´s really incredible how the NBA always cares about SAS.

SpursIndonesia
11-22-2007, 07:31 AM
But in lastnight game, i see a lot of Finley & Barry playing center, because TD is a PF. :lol

ploto
11-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Spurs complained. Could have sworn these things didn't matter to them!

ploto
11-22-2007, 08:59 AM
But in lastnight game, i see a lot of Finley & Barry playing center, because TD is a PF. :lol
Bingo!

Dre_7
11-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Bingo!

LOL Raptors.

SpursIndonesia
11-22-2007, 11:25 AM
OTOH, when Toronto Raptors plays Bosh & Bargnani upfront, teamed with 3 guards, which one is the center ? ;)

TD's clearly a very talented big man which can't be described as easily as a prototypical PF or Center, he can play both spots either offensively or defensively without much problem -aside from some freakish matchup. But since the game has evolved more & more on the small ball side, a night with Barry or Finley playing center will occur more frequently.

Dre_7
11-22-2007, 11:28 AM
OTOH, when Toronto Raptors plays Bosh & Bargnani upfront, teamed with 3 guards, which one is the center ? ;)

TD's clearly a very talented big man which can't be described as easily as a prototypical PF or Center, he can play both spots either offensively or defensively without much problem -aside from some freakish matchup. But since the game has evolved more & more on the small ball side, a night with Barry or Finley playing center will occur more frequently.

Two things, the Spurs list him as their starting PF (Oberto is C), and he's been listed as a PF for every ASG prior. Thats all that matters.

Saguaro
11-22-2007, 03:21 PM
It´s really incredible how the NBA always cares about SAS.
Holt's company sells Israel a lot of bulldozers to demolish Palestinian homes. David Stern always looks out for his buddy.

Vingianx
11-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Duncan is not even having an all-star kind of season as of right now, I wouldn't be surprised if Nowitzki gets the starting job over Duncan.

So all of this whining about Duncan being listed as Center will be worthless anyway!! LOL

Seriously doubt people will vote for Dirk over Duncan

Duncan hasn't had to put much effort this early in the season since Manu and Parker are carrying the team during this stretch.....

duncan228
11-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Slamonline chimes in..."Justice."

http://slamonline.com/online/2007/11/the-nba-wants-tim-duncan-to-start/

The NBA Wants Tim Duncan to Start

by Marcel Mutoni

There was a bit of a hubbub last week over Tim Duncan’s listing on the All-Star ballot. The Spurs were upset because the NBA listed Tim as a center, all but assuring that he’d lose the starting spot at the mid-season classic (due to Yao Ming’s worldwide popularity).

Since Tim Duncan is, well, Tim Freaking Duncan, the NBA has him now listed as a power forward, his true position on the floor.

“It’s great,” Duncan said. “I have an opportunity to make the team now. I need to start playing a little better, but I have an opportunity to be back on the ballot at forward and to have a chance to start is an honor.”

Justice! In all likelihood, Duncan will make his 10th consecutive All-Star start for the West in February.

E20
11-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Players like Yao, Tim, Dirk don't really fit into the ASG. They usually play like a couple minutes and then sit for the rest of game. ASG is an imitation of an AND1 game -- ball handling and dunks. It's nice for him to add another All-Star start, but no biggie if he starts or not.

FilSpursFan
11-22-2007, 07:17 PM
That's cool. I was wondering how they were going to work it with the votes that were already cast, and whether it would screw anything up.

YOu can vote again if you have voted Tim... I voted again today... :clap :clap :clap

TheAuthority
11-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Spurs complained. Could have sworn these things didn't matter to them!

Good point.

ploto
11-22-2007, 10:06 PM
OTOH, when Toronto Raptors plays Bosh & Bargnani upfront, teamed with 3 guards, which one is the center ?
Bargnani is listed as a center and introduced as the center but they put him on the ballot as a Power Forward. I do not recall the Raptors making a big stink about it, and he gets to compete against his own teammate in Bosh.

Kori Ellis
11-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Bargnani is listed as a center and introduced as the center but they put him on the ballot as a Power Forward. I do not recall the Raptors making a big stink about it, and he gets to compete against his own teammate in Bosh.

Raptors changed their starting lineup all the time. The situation can't compare to a guy who has been listed as the Spurs starting power forward for last 10+ years.

Kori Ellis
11-22-2007, 10:37 PM

No, you saw the Spurs playing with one PF, one PG and three wings.

SpursIndonesia
11-22-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm just messing around Kori, not trying to imply that Barry of Finley even remotely playing like a center in that line up. :D

Fact is, in the small ball line up, TD IS the de facto center, offensively & defensively -while in a more traditional line up, he will play as a PF defensively, and mostly as a center offensively -though some midrange jumper from the top of the key isn't exactly 'traditional' from a center perspective point.

Nonetheless, whatever position Duncan might play in the all star, it won't diminish his legacy as the greatest PF ever grace the game, so i don't put too much fuss about this.

Flight3107
11-23-2007, 12:05 AM
More than likely Duncan and Dirk will both start. The AS ballot only list forwards and not forwards and SF.

Nash
Bryant
Dirk
Duncan
Yao

That is going to be the starting lineup

Flight3107
11-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Who knows?

Nowitzki, reigning MVP, have better numbers than Duncan and is better overall player than Duncan..

My everyday Vote goes to Nowitzki

:drunk :drunk :drunk

Flight3107
11-23-2007, 12:15 AM
Im not a Spurs fan

SpursIndonesia
11-23-2007, 01:46 AM
Typical Spurs fan rebuttal: "But Duncan has 4 rings and Nowitzki has none""

Nope, the typical answer would be TD plays defense & is not a choker. :donkey

But the 4 champ rings are certainly a nice rebuttal toward clueless CAVALIERS fan. :smokin

Kori Ellis
11-23-2007, 02:00 AM
Nonetheless, whatever position Duncan might play in the all star, it won't diminish his legacy as the greatest PF ever grace the game, so i don't put too much fuss about this.

The fuss wasn't about what position he played in the All-Star game. It was about a group of clueless sports writers switching him to Center (after the SPURS HAVE LISTED HIM as a PF for the last 10+ years) and thus eliminating his chances to start.

milkyway21
11-23-2007, 02:12 AM

Typical Spurs fan rebuttal..should be.

Duncan was the last man standing among those pretenders like Dirk, or LeBroom last June. He's the leader of the reigning champ Spurs, and should be given the chance to start again.

It will be hilarious if those players who has not accomplished anything the previous yr are all standing up the stage while Duncan is clapping for them below while the announcers introduce the starters. :lol
Why would a champion would clap for somebody he has beaten the previous yr? :lmao What for??? He deserves to start. He earns it.

I really think the Spurs' Manu & TP should be given recognition too. Why they invited 3 Suns last yr. What for?

my starters would be:

Duncan
Yao
Kobe
Nash or AI
TMac or Anthony

timmy21_4rings
11-23-2007, 02:48 AM
The fuss wasn't about what position he played in the All-Star game. It was about a group of clueless sports writers switching him to Center (after the SPURS HAVE LISTED HIM as a PF for the last 10+ years) and thus eliminating his chances to start.

I guess you are 50% right. I would not care if they put Yao as PF and eliminated TDs chances. As long as TD is a PF (as he asks, as he plays and as Spurs lists), I do not care.

bdictjames
11-23-2007, 04:01 AM
my starters would be:

Duncan
Yao
Kobe
Nash or AI
TMac or Anthony

I'd rather my other forward spot go to either Boozer or Dirk.

Kobe and McGrady would probably fill in the guard spots.

Same old. But now that KG has left, there seems to be a roster spot open for starting forward besides Duncan.

Assuming Duncan does go to start the All-Star game.

Bruno
11-23-2007, 05:13 AM
It's not sure that Duncan will start even if he is listed as a forward.

Last year result for West forward was :
Kevin Garnett (Minn) 1,616,575
Tim Duncan (SA) 1,436,584
Carmelo Anthony (Den) 1,309,945
Dirk Nowitzki (Dal) 1,276,304
Shane Battier (Hou) 1,025,643
Shawn Marion (Pho) 551,173
Lamar Odom (LAL) 438,824
Josh Howard (Dal) 412,102
Pau Gasol (Mem) 364,459
Carlos Boozer (Utah) 359,882

Garnett is gone and Hill is added (Hill got 677,423 votes last year in the east).

With Duncan not having a great season stat-wise, Nowitzki coming from a MVP season and Anthony having more attention with AI, it's possible that Melo and Dirk get the starting spots this year.

howbouthemspurs
11-23-2007, 08:35 AM
YEahhhAW!!! aaaaaLLLLLRRIOOIGHTT!!!

MagnusKrauss
11-23-2007, 09:05 AM
still not sold on the change. from what i understand, the paper ballots still list him as a C.

working it out, on the paper ballots, Duncan has lost *some* votes because of his previous listing as C. with Yao as the first choice, Tim loses a lot of votes that people would have put in as their 1st Forward Vote. and would still lose because Yao would get almost all the C votes. It would cause some confusion on whether or not people would still vote Duncan (even under the listing of "C"). So he'd lose some votes after the re-assignment.

i still feel that the NBA didn't rectify the balloting issue.

makedamnsure
11-23-2007, 12:00 PM
I knew this would happen.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-23-2007, 12:05 PM
still not sold on the change. from what i understand, the paper ballots still list him as a C.

working it out, on the paper ballots, Duncan has lost *some* votes because of his previous listing as C. with Yao as the first choice, Tim loses a lot of votes that people would have put in as their 1st Forward Vote. and would still lose because Yao would get almost all the C votes. It would cause some confusion on whether or not people would still vote Duncan (even under the listing of "C"). So he'd lose some votes after the re-assignment.

You forgot to say "or am i stupid?" :spin.

wildbill2u
11-23-2007, 12:29 PM

I agree that this is still messed up. Lots of fans who vote at the arenas on paper ballots won't know the situation and will only see the 'official' placement and vote accordingly.

So he'll get votes at forward online-- but maybe not enough on the paper ballots because of the confusion to come out ahead on the total balloting for forward.

timmy21_4rings
11-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Garnett is gone and Hill is added (Hill got 677,423 votes last year in the east).

With Duncan not having a great season stat-wise, Nowitzki coming from a MVP season and Anthony having more attention with AI, it's possible that Melo and Dirk get the starting spots this year.

Dirk is coming from an upset season which very much overshadows his MVP season. I do not think he is going to start. TD is coming from a championship season. Melo might start.

timmy21_4rings
11-23-2007, 06:42 PM
I never saw the paper ballot. What happens if fans selected two centers. Is it invalid? Any thoughts?

E20
11-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Duncan should win even at C.
He has all of Texas, Argentina, Brazil, France, Virgin Islands, some people from Australia and Slovenia voting for him.

J.T.
11-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Duncan should win even at C.
He has all of Texas, Argentina, Brazil, France, Virgin Islands, some people from Australia and Slovenia voting for him.

China > Texas, Argentina, Brazil, France, Virgin Islands, some people from Australia and Slovenia

makedamnsure
11-24-2007, 01:52 AM
China > the world

That's more like it.

SpursIndonesia
11-24-2007, 06:26 AM
Yeah, 1.3 billion people in the motherland country, while around 200 mil in diaspora.

Obstructed_View
11-24-2007, 07:07 AM
It seems pretty clear to me that the NBA didn't want Duncan in the all star game, and they figured they could screw him and nobody would care. He'd certainly never publicly complain about it. Fixing the online ballot (where China votes), but leaving the screwed up paper ballots (to fuck up voters at NBA games) will allow them not to start him and act like they did everything they could. It's a bunch of crap. I half hope D'Antoni is the coach of the team and picks all of his players as alternates.

The Spurs as an organization would be incredibly stupid not to complain loud and long. Most of those people that didn't want to move out of San Antonio owe their jobs to Timmy. If you don't publicly go to bat for a guy who just gave you millions of dollars back when he signed a contract on the heels of the fourth title he brought home, you don't deserve to win another game.

TheAuthority
11-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Typical Spurs fan rebuttal: "But Duncan has 4 rings and Nowitzki has none""

Or something crazy like "Tim Duncan is more than just a jump shooter and a flopper".