PDA

View Full Version : Hedo

E20
11-21-2007, 10:43 PM
What's everybodies impression about Hedo now that he is a older and playing for the Magic? It's November and early in the season, but he's been playing well.

ShoogarBear
11-21-2007, 10:53 PM
He's still a guaranteed missed layup per game. :smokin

exstatic
11-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Hits a bunch of shots early, chokes when the game is in contention in the 2nd/3rd periods, hits a late meaningless three. Same ol' same ol'.

YODA
11-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Been keeping trakc of him this season. The guy is having a great season. He had a great game versus the spurs to boot. I think he had some confidence problems when he was here. I dont think he has those problems now. Good for him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-21-2007, 10:57 PM
I hope he gets all his tendons torn.

E20
11-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Didn't wanna make a new thread for it, but Dwight Howard is a monster. I could see this guy averaging 30 and 15 when he hits his PRIME. It's scary thinking that he has room to improve. By the time he hits his prime, most of the quality big men in today's game will all be old or retired for him to have any competition, sans Oden.

whottt
11-21-2007, 11:04 PM
After being pegged as the designated choker in the 04 playoffs against LA by Phil(and doing a fine job of it from their POV), he left the Spurs to go play for the worst team in the NBA at that time...he couldn't get out of town fast enough.

What exactly do you want us to conclude?

Luckily for his teamates tonight...none of the passes to him tonight were 2 inches off...

E20
11-21-2007, 11:08 PM
After being pegged as the designated choker in the 04 playoffs against LA by Phil(and doing a fine job of it from their POV), he left the Spurs to go play for the worst team in the NBA at that time...he couldn't get out of town fast enough.

What exactly do you want us to conclude?

Luckily for his teamates tonight...none of the passes to him tonight were 2 inches off...
I'm just saying Hedo was young when he played for the Spurs he was 24 and it was his 4th year in the NBA, so I'm not sure why anybody would expect such a young player to be Mr.Clutch or the person to knock down difficult shots against a great LA team, the rest of the team couldn't either (Bowen, Parker cooled down at the wrong time, Manu and Devin were the only ones shooting good for the whole series consistently) After a couple of more years to get more playing time and shots on a team with less talent at the SG/SF positions, it turned out he's a good scorer early on.

AFBlue
11-21-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm just saying Hedo was young when he played for the Spurs he was 24 and it was his 4th year in the NBA, so I'm not sure why anybody would expect such a young player to be Mr.Clutch or the person to knock down difficult shots against a great LA team, the rest of the team couldn't either (Bowen, Parker cooled down at the wrong time, Manu and Devin were the only ones shooting good for the whole series consistently) After a couple of more years to get more playing time and shots on a team with less talent at the SG/SF positions, it turned out he's a good scorer early on.

Tony Parker was Finals MVP at 24

baseline bum
11-21-2007, 11:17 PM

Difficult shots? No one was within 10 feet of him on a lot of those shots. His man was always in the paint every single possession, and Turkoglu never made him pay.

exstatic
11-21-2007, 11:17 PM
He started tonight like 7-8 and finished 9-18. I'd say he had a good half.

E20
11-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Tony Parker was Finals MVP at 24
Tony is a MUCH different player than Hedo, by different I mean better.

Difficult shots? No one was within 10 feet of him on a lot of those shots. His man was always in the paint every single possession, and Turkoglu never made him pay.
And that was difficult for him to make, I'm not saying Hedo is now or was a primed playoff performer, I haven't seen that and don't know how he will react when it's 'Win or Go Home' time. But now that he is older and more experienced he's been playing good so far in the regular season and seems to be more consistent. His confidecne problems seem to be gone now, don't know how he will transition into the playoffs. I remember him having 2 good games against the Lakers in that series. I think it was Game 2 and Game 3 where he shot decent from the field. But even with his bad shooting a shot or two could have landed the Spurs victory in taht series.

taruky
11-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Seems like the same old set of arses here from 4 years ago. Guy is playing well and scores 26 on you but you still bash him because of a bad playoff series. I can't wait until Duncan and Ginobilli retire and 6-7 years later you all put guns to your heads as the Spurs leave San Antonio.

E20
11-21-2007, 11:24 PM
LMAO @ Taruky's appearnce.

whottt
11-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Tarukyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

LTNS my friend!

I remember the season when Hedo was here and you were a Spurs fan becuase he was on the team...ahh memories.

whottt
11-21-2007, 11:26 PM
IMO, taruky still holds the record for the best message board heel turn ever.

SequSpur
11-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Hedo is bad ass.

BradLohaus
11-21-2007, 11:53 PM
I told my friends that Hedo would go for about 30 tonight. I could just feel it.

Pulling running bankers with an &1 out of his ass and everything. :lol

But Hedo does seem to have found a good fit with this Magic team.

bdictjames
11-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Hedo > Grant Hill anyday.

baseline bum
11-22-2007, 12:55 AM
Seems like the same old set of arses here from 4 years ago. Guy is playing well and scores 26 on you but you still bash him because of a bad playoff series. I can't wait until Duncan and Ginobilli retire and 6-7 years later you all put guns to your heads as the Spurs leave San Antonio.

siktir git lan ibne

timvp
11-22-2007, 12:57 AM
I don't have anything against Hedo. Good guy. Good basketball player.

That said, I don't want him anywhere near these Spurs. Like Beno, I don't think Hedo is all about winning. Hedo is happy to get some playing time, cash his check and whatever happens or doesn't happen is gravy. Like Beno, Hedo is a quality talent. But talent alone doesn't a championship player make.

And really, like whottt said, if Hedo wanted to win he would have stayed with the Spurs. The Spurs offered him a contract and only went to Barry after Hedo turned them down. Hedo didn't want to take less like everyone on the team has so he decided his own fate.

angel_luv
11-22-2007, 01:04 AM

That said, I don't want him anywhere near these Spurs. Like Beno, I don't think Hedo is all about winning. Hedo is happy to get some playing time, cash his check and whatever happens or doesn't happen is gravy. Like Beno, Hedo is a quality talent. But talent alone doesn't a championship player make.

And really, like whottt said, if Hedo wanted to win he would have stayed with the Spurs. The Spurs offered him a contract and only went to Barry after Hedo turned them down. Hedo didn't want to take less like everyone on the team has so he decided his own fate.

I disagree with you about Hedo's desire to win.

Hedo was really fired up several times throughout the game tonight.
You don't improve as much as he has without putting some consistent hard work in.

Also, Hedo competed really hard in the E.C. this summer and did very well.

I think , it shows a lot of character and passion to go to a team where you can contribute rather than just staying along for the ride with a championship team.

The Spurs and Hedo were not a great fit. He was wise to move on.

As for the similarities between Beno and Hedo, the only one I see is that both play better for teams not coached by Pop.

ShoogarBear
11-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Hedo went to a team where there wouldn't be any pressure. That and money were the basis for his decision.

angel_luv
11-22-2007, 01:16 AM
Hedo went to a team where there wouldn't be any pressure. That and money were the basis for his decision.

It's not like any of us can say for certain what his motives were.

I am assuming none of you have hung out with him.

Because if you had surely you would have invited me. :)

baseline bum
11-22-2007, 01:26 AM
Hedo has no desire. My Turkish friend grew up with him and has known Turkoglu since they were kids, and said he has always been a lazy ass who doesn't care about anything but himself. Plus, he bailed on his friends once he got rich. What an ass.

whottt
11-22-2007, 01:31 AM
Angel...you're a doll, but you really have a thing for chokers.

Hedo could not get out of town fast enough.

This game tonight well, it wasn't the same kind of pressure as a playoff game. It was just a game...

With Pop, Hedo and Beno...Hedo and Beno have the distinction of being 2 players Pop handled with kid gloves. He was probably nicer to those two than he has been to anyone. It's a joke that Beno complains about his treatment by Pop. No one since Pop became the coach, has gotten more butt chewings and callouts by Pop than Tony Parker. And we're not just talking in meaningless games against the Clippers or something...we're talking the NBA finals in front of the world. Pop has completely dressed him down in front of a hundred million people...yanked him in embarrasing fashion seconds into a game. Called him out in the media...he did that to him when he was a 20 year old kid.

Hedo was put in the starting lineup over Manu just to boost his confidence. I never saw Pop get on him one time...and he wanted Hedo to come back too.

Hedo didn't leave because of Pop...he left because he wanted no part of that pressure. He went to the team with the worst record in the NBA.

They don't want it Angel...but I give you props for your loyalty and determination to see the good in people.

BradLohaus
11-22-2007, 01:31 AM
Hedo has no desire. My Turkish friend grew up with him and has known Turkoglu since they were kids, and said he has always been a lazy ass who doesn't care about anything but himself. Plus, he bailed on his friends once he got rich. What an ass.

Well, if any of us still had any questions about Hedo, BB just answered them. :lol

whottt
11-22-2007, 01:35 AM
It's not like any of us can say for certain what his motives were.

At best...he went to Orlando for the money. They had the worst record in the NBA when he signed there.

taruky
11-22-2007, 01:44 AM
From what I have heard (I also have a friend who knows Hedo), Hedo apparently banged Baseline's sister. Baseline was willing to forgive Hedo if he loaned him some money, but Hedo refused. So Baseline thinks Hedo is prejudiced against Kurds, and thus the Hedo hatred.

timvp
11-22-2007, 01:48 AM
From what I have heard (I also have a friend who knows Hedo), Hedo apparently banged Baseline's sister. Baseline was willing to forgive Hedo if he loaned him some money, but Hedo refused. So Baseline thinks Hedo is prejudiced against Kurds, and thus the Hedo hatred.A guy from Turkey stirring the pot on Thanksgiving. Gotta love it.

:smokin

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2007, 01:50 AM
:lol

baseline bum
11-22-2007, 02:08 AM
Taruky's just pissed because no one gives a shit about Turkoglu. My Turkish friends never miss a Jazz game when Okur comes to town, but no one even thinks twice to see Hedo's fat ass. Turkoglu is just another in a list of great what ifs. God blessed him with unreal talent and potential, but he must have been out drinking or something when it was time to insert the heart.

jman3000
11-22-2007, 02:26 AM
it feels like freaking forever when he played here... but it's only been 4 years. i remember being all excited because we got him in that 3 team trade that basically cost us danny ferry. if he could only hit a wide open 3 pointer we might have had a nice little three peat there.

taruky
11-22-2007, 02:27 AM
Taruky's just pissed because no one gives a shit about Turkoglu. My Turkish friends never miss a Jazz game when Okur comes to town, but no one even thinks twice to see Hedo's fat ass. Turkoglu is just another in a list of great what ifs. God blessed him with unreal talent and potential, but he must have been out drinking or something when it was time to insert the heart.

Something isn't quite right about that. Who has the double chin? You think Okur is a super hard worker? :rolleyes Hedo has worked on his game much more than Okur, who hasn't improved his post-up game one iota. If anything, Okur regressed. I know plenty of Turks who are fans of Hedo.

BeerIsGood!
11-22-2007, 02:50 AM
I was always somewhat of a fan of regular season Hedo. It's playoff Hedo that I couldn't stand in the silver and black. You'll see it again in April once Howard, Nelson, Turkey, and Lewis lead this very good team to a top 4 seed and suddenly once game 1 of the playoffs starts it's down to Howard, Nelson, and possibly Lewis who bother to show up.

whottt
11-22-2007, 02:59 AM
Gotta disagree on Rashard Lewis...he might be worse than Hedo in the playoffs.

BeerIsGood!
11-22-2007, 03:04 AM
That's why I said possibly, because we don't know what he'll do against an Eastern Conference caliber 8 seed. We know he couldn't hack it against the likes of the Spurs in the WC, but this will be his first real crack at the EC suckiness, and with that small style of play he could get some favorable matchups. Turkey, OTOH, will flat out choke just like last season and every season before it.

ChumpDumper
11-22-2007, 04:04 AM
The Spurs offered him a contract and only went to Barry after Hedo turned them down. Hedo didn't want to take less like everyone on the team has so he decided his own fate.
Wait, what contract did the Spurs offer Hedo? What was the amount?

I don't remember seeing anything about an offer.

atxrocker
11-22-2007, 04:25 AM
why do spur fan insist on hating on Hedo? if so many people hate em, prove it. fucking weak.

WalterBenitez
11-22-2007, 05:01 AM
Hedo is doing well this season, his best season in terms of PPG

00-01 SAC 5.3
01-02 SAC 10.1
02-03 SAC 6.7
03-04 SAS 9.2
04-05 ORL 14.0
05-06 ORL 14.9
06-07 ORL 13.3
07-08 ORL 18.1

The rest of stats are in the same level, what I always doubt about him is ... how good is him when he must put his balls in those hard games.

I assume that playing next to Howard is better than playing next to Darko.

whottt
11-22-2007, 05:09 AM
All I know is that I'm glad taruky came back...taruky, please don't wait another two years before posting again. At least have the decency to stop in and place a curse on the Spurs and wish us ill during the Spurs Orlando games twice a year. For old times sake if nothing else...

ploto
11-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Hedo is playing well and it makes Spurs fans mad. Who would have guessed?

George Gervin's Afro
11-22-2007, 09:05 AM
TURKEYGLUE!!!!!

I love the guy..

ploto
11-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Wait, what contract did the Spurs offer Hedo? What was the amount?

I don't remember seeing anything about an offer.
Spurs went after Jax and Barry- not Hedo. They even rescinded his rights.

MB20
11-22-2007, 09:42 AM
What's everybodies impression about Hedo now that he is a older and playing for the Magic? It's November and early in the season, but he's been playing well.

You answered your own question.

Russ
11-22-2007, 10:08 AM

I would generally agree, but I think Hedo is more talented than Beno and, on the other hand, Beno was never the choker that Hedo was/is.

Sean Elliott kept saying that the Spurs wanted to keep Hedo but just didn't have the money after '04. That's not quite the way I remember it. By the end of the season, Hedo seemed a bit scared of the situations that playing for the Spurs would place him in. I think the Spurs took a nice one year flyer on Hedo but made up their mind fairly quickly thereafter. Bottom line -- Brent Barry was a huge upgrade over Hedo, whether that was the original plan or not.

nfg3
11-22-2007, 10:11 AM
He had a good first half. I liked him when he was here but he just wasn't mature enough at the time. I didn't like the fact that he bolted out of town so quickly. With that Hedo came across to me as having a "Money first" priority, which IMO disqualifies him as Spur material. Seemed to have grown up a little since then but still has the same type of game - starts fast and fades down the stretch. :downspin:

Russ
11-22-2007, 10:12 AM
So Baseline thinks Hedo is prejudiced against Kurds, and thus the Hedo hatred.
Not to even mention Hedo's problems with the Armenians . . . :spin

angel_luv
11-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Well whatever.

Hedo's is still one of my favorites. Always has been, always will be.

AFBlue
11-22-2007, 10:41 AM
No offense but are you comparing the 2003-2004 Lakers to the Cavs who would have been the 8th seed in the Western Conference?

Hedo is playing well and good for him.

It was being suggested that a 24yr old with 4 years of experience shouldn't be expected to play big in big games and that he shouldn't be able to grasp the game of basketball.

I'm not saying that Hedo is Tony's equal talent-wise. What I'm saying is that his youth and relative inexperience shouldn't be an excuse for how poorly he played for the Spurs.

Does that make sense?

TwelveGs210
11-22-2007, 10:47 AM

will never happen because the scouts are doing such a good job, parker will only be 31, and the spurs/duncan have geared the future contract-wise to be able to sign another max player in a few years.. and the spurs have a long term deal with the city so, sorry all that bs you typed is meaningless..

Harry Callahan
11-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Ginobili had also finished his rookie contract at the end of the '04 season. Denver was trying to get him and the Spurs retained him with a 5 yr/ $52MM contract. Hedo received a 5 or 6 year contract in the $35-$40MM range. Keep in mind that Tony Parker and Tim Duncan were due for new contracts in the next year or two. The Spurs' budget would not allow for retention of all the talented players they had in that time frame. They chose Parker and Ginobili as the key complementary players and would fill in around that. I think the results speak for themselves since that time. 2 titles in three years. It could easily been three in a row if not for a couple of situations we have hashed over many times.

diego
11-22-2007, 11:37 AM
seriously, wgaf about hedon't. dude didnt live up to 1/3 of his potential and ran away to the magic. is he doing well for them?? i dont know, i dont care. im too busy celebrating the two titles we won since he left. for the spurs, devin brown, brent barry, and a 34 yr old mike finley are all > hedo. and dont even compare that choker to manu fucking ginobili!!! enjoy your eastern conference joy ride!

taruky
11-22-2007, 12:02 PM
will never happen because the scouts are doing such a good job, parker will only be 31, and the spurs/duncan have geared the future contract-wise to be able to sign another max player in a few years.. and the spurs have a long term deal with the city so, sorry all that bs you typed is meaningless..

Quallity free agents who come to the Spurs now just want to hitch a ride to the championship, and they are all on the downside of their careers. Not so sure you get a max player once you stink. San Antonio came close to losing their team once before, and it will happen again once the Spurs stop winning. Chances of another tank job landing another Duncan are slim.

baseline bum
11-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Quallity free agents who come to the Spurs now just want to hitch a ride to the championship, and they are all on the downside of their careers. Not so sure you get a max player once you stink. San Antonio came close to losing their team once before, and it will happen again once the Spurs stop winning. Chances of another tank job landing another Duncan are slim.

We can sign Hedo back for the tank job. Maybe make Derek Fisher or Rick Fox an assistant coach so he'll be scared as hell on every open shot when he sees them out of the corner of his eye. We'd be guaranteed lots of lottery balls.

Extra Stout
11-22-2007, 03:00 PM
With the revenue streams available at the AT&T Center, the Turks will give up pederasty before the Spurs leave San Antonio.

taruky
11-22-2007, 03:25 PM
With the revenue streams available at the AT&T Center, the Turks will give up pederasty before the Spurs leave San Antonio.
Does saying that make you feel better about the Spurs inevitable departure? The "revenue streams" can disappear. Give it a few years.

Extra Stout
11-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Does saying that make you feel better about the Spurs inevitable departure? The "revenue streams" can disappear. Give it a few years.
Well, since I don't live in San Antonio, I could just as easily follow them in any city, but again, since the facility and the lease largely determine the viability of the team, the Turks will admit to their attempt to exterminate the Armenians before the Spurs leave San Antonio.

E20
11-22-2007, 03:45 PM
LMAO @ the use of country smack.

angel_luv
11-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Hedo is on the All Star Ballot. :fro

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Hedo probably pulled a Yi but actually got in.

Brodels
11-22-2007, 09:32 PM
This is freakin' hilarious. I never thought I would see Taruky's name again, and now he's back defending the third biggest pussy in franchise history. And the country smack is great.

Good times.

Demo Dick Marcinko
11-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Well, since I don't live in San Antonio, I could just as easily follow them in any city, but again, since the facility and the lease largely determine the viability of the team, the Turks will admit to their attempt to exterminate the Armenians before the Spurs leave San Antonio.

They'll admit to the Hellenic Genocide before they do that. What is it about 2,000,000 Greek men, women and children?

Methinks that turnkey is a little bitter that neither Hedon't and Orlando haven't won squat. btw the Spurs aren't going anywhere. Baseline quit banging his mom.

TheAuthority
11-22-2007, 09:41 PM
I wish Hedo played with the same fire in the playoffs FOR the Spurs, as he did AGAINST the Spurs last night. You could tell the guy was out to prove something last night, and he played extremely well. He was killing everyone; Bruce, Manu, Duncan... you name it. He killed it last night.