PDA

View Full Version : Bill Russell is an idiot

phyzik
11-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Not that thats a big suprise to anyone but... did anyone see the part where him and Smith where saying what they where thankfull for as far as NBA?

Bill Russell says something like:

"Im thankfull for the suns because they saved basketball"

Steve Smith says something stupid and loud like always.

then, not 30 seconds later Bill comes back with...

"Im Thankfull for the Spurs because they play basketball how its meant to be played"

umm. WTF? make up your fucking mind retard!

.....it made me laugh at least.

Findog
11-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Not that thats a big suprise to anyone but... did anyone see the part where him and Smith where saying what they where thankfull for as far as NBA?

"Im thanking fur the suns because they saved basketball"

Great, we'll never hear the end of that now from dsf. I thought Bill Russell was all about defense and half-court execution.

phyzik
11-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Great, we'll never hear the end of that now from dsf. I thought Bill Russell was all about defense and half-court execution.

dammit, didnt edit my post fast enough!! :lol

I had to look at what I typed and was like "what the fuck is thanking fur????" :lol

bdictjames
11-22-2007, 12:09 AM
SAS Im ok with it, but the great Russell?

One, he's old. That must have to do something with it, old players are never really that good to listen for great NBA discussion. Just look at Dick Vitale.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-22-2007, 12:12 AM
The problem here is that, depending on what he meant, both of those statements are true.

The Suns have saved the NBA...'s ratings. Admittedly they are fun to watch. They won't win shit with that approach, but at least they'll have ratings.

The Spurs are playing basketball the way its meant to be played. Team first, defensively oriented basketball is the key to success.

SO Russell could be on to something... I doubt it... be he could :lol

Findog
11-22-2007, 12:17 AM
As much as we like to rag on d_s_f for that mantra, it is true that the Suns have generated a lot of buzz and hype with their style of play. Casual fans are more likely to be drawn to them, and Nash is a likeable personality. But there's more than one flavor of ice cream, and there's more than one style of play to enjoy.

I think the Spurs get a bad rap as far as being "boring" goes because of the 2005 Finals. Their series against Dallas was great, those playoff battles against the Lakers were exciting, as was the series last year against Phoenix.

phyzik
11-22-2007, 12:17 AM
maybe I will e-mail him and ask for clarification because to me that just doesnt make sense unless what ManuManiac says is true. I will even give him the benefit of the doubt and not be condiscending in the e-mail.

Stargazer
11-22-2007, 02:05 AM
I think his statement was more true around 2004-05, which may be the time period he's thinking of. I don't judge teams by ratings, but if I earned my money from the game, I certainly would. After all, sports have no inherent value other than as entertainment. From the fan's perspective, the point of the game is to win. But from the league's perspective, the point of the game is to convince people to pay money to watch it. If it's true that the Suns saved the NBA's ratings (I don't know) then Walton's statement isn't crazy.

baseline bum
11-22-2007, 02:21 AM

Nah man, Russell's Celtics were all about running the break. They were the original great running team before Magic's Lakers.

whottt
11-22-2007, 02:45 AM
You can't call out Bill Russell as an idiot(Unless he's describing one of his delusions about how he would defend Shaq).

#1. He's always had nothing but praise for the Spurs....in particular Tim Duncan. He compares Tim Duncan...to himself.

#2. It's possible for him to mean both...it may not be so much about the Suns as it is the style of ball they play....

But can anyone prove to me the Suns are a ratings draw? Phoenix is one of the crappiest sportstowns ever...they don't even root for their own football team...and it's not like anyone else gives a crap about Phoenix. They aren't LA or NY themselves...they aren't even Dallas or Houston.

whottt
11-22-2007, 02:53 AM
I don't get what's so exciting about

Rebound...run...shoot.

Manu and Parker are 10 times more fun to watch than Steve Nash...

NBA players like to watch Manu play...

While it may be true the Spurs don't draw...it's most definitely not true that they are boring.

They lead the league in blowout wins every year...and also usually play in the most close gams every year.

Anyone that thinks the Spurs are boring...is just stupid.

Rebound, run, shoot...is boring.

bdictjames
11-22-2007, 03:01 AM
Its boring once you get to the part where neither team really tries on defense. Maybe its just me being a Spurs fan. Perfect execution on both ends is better.

whottt
11-22-2007, 03:36 AM
For me it's about close games...close games are never boring. I don't care if the score is 2-1 in the fourth...it's not boring. It's as intense as basketball gets...and the harder it is to score, the more every shot means...the more intense it is.

Now the Spurs annually lead the league in blowout wins...but they also usually lead the league in games decided by 3 points or less as well, and that's freaking exciting...whereas Phoenix just blows people out or wins comfortably...I guess they are exciting when they trail, because they can get back into a game quickly...but that doesn't happen to them often.

Spawn
11-22-2007, 05:59 AM
You can't call out Bill Russell as an idiot(Unless he's describing one of his delusions about how he would defend Shaq).

#1. He's always had nothing but praise for the Spurs....in particular Tim Duncan. He compares Tim Duncan...to himself.

#2. It's possible for him to mean both...it may not be so much about the Suns as it is the style of ball they play....

But can anyone prove to me the Suns are a ratings draw? Phoenix is one of the crappiest sportstowns ever...they don't even root for their own football team...and it's not like anyone else gives a crap about Phoenix. They aren't LA or NY themselves...they aren't even Dallas or Houston.

I don't know if they are or not, but the media pimps them about how "revolutionary" they are that the idiots who allow the media to think for them start to believe that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread even though they aren't much different than many other teams who have played the same style and certainly not any more successful.

Shred
11-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Obsession noted.

islandmon
11-22-2007, 10:53 AM

"Im Thankfull for the Spurs because they play basketball how its meant to be played"

islandmon
11-22-2007, 10:55 AM
You Mean BILL WALTON not Bill Russell... YOU see How eroneous information get started.. I saw the segment!!

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2007, 11:08 AM
You Mean BILL WALTON not Bill Russell... YOU see How eroneous information get started.. I saw the segment!!
:lmao

Oh dear lord...

1Parker1
11-22-2007, 11:54 AM
:lmao It was Bill WALTON, not Bill Russell....I saw that segment. And there was nothing wrong with it except for the fact that he put the current Celtics team in the same class as the Spurs regarding their championship ability. Steven A responded by saying the Celtics haven't won anything yet...

Walter Craparita
11-22-2007, 11:57 AM
SAS and Walton.

Was it special Olympics week in the studio?

PoleSmoking
11-22-2007, 01:46 PM

What's the problem? I don't see the contradiction. The two statements aren't really mutually exclusive or anything. Besides, he gave the Spurs their props, right?

And really, if you think about it, the intense rivalry that has developed between the two teams
is the gem of the league right now. It's such a good rivalry precisely because the style and public perception of these two teams is so opposite.

Last year's playoffs series confrontation was the showpiece of the post-season; and you'll remember that most (not some) in the national media anointed the series as "the real championship series."

I guess my point is that if not for the Suns, the Spurs would probably be running down everyone else in the league like the Patriots are doing in the NFL right now. Therefore it's not insane for Russell to say that the emergence of the Suns as a contender, and the torrid style of basketball that they have popularized, have revitalized and saved the league from the disparity we see in the NFL.

Err, ok. So it was Bill Walton.

PoleSmoking
11-22-2007, 02:18 PM

I certainly agree with you that the two statements are not mutually exclusive of each other.

BTW, the AZ Cardinals have sold out every game this season. Just FYI.
:spin

Tippecanoe
11-22-2007, 02:45 PM
i see nothing wrong with either statement.

without its fans, the NBA would be dead. and like it or not, the suns did save basketball by attracting the average basketball fans (whom you guys would refer to as idiot fans who dont know shit). the average basketball fan hates the spurs style of play because it is boring. they dont care about good basketball. they dont care about good defense. they just wanna see run and guy style offense, slam dunks, ally oops, and ankle breakers. thus suns' uptempto style appeals to the average joe. like it or not, if not for the suns and their style of play, the average basketball fans would not be watching basketball at all today.

and his second statement is right on the dot too. the spurs do play basketball the way it is meant. defense wins championships. the extra pass. sharing the ball. and since its a spurs board, i wont bother expanding on that because you guys already know.

BeerIsGood!
11-22-2007, 03:01 PM
TP and Manu are two of the most exciting players on the planet. That boring label is complete bullshit.

Walter Craparita
11-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Diamondbacks couldn't sell out their playoffs...

Extra Stout
11-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Here's an analogy.

Let's say that basketball is like the beef industry. The Suns are like going out to eat at McDonald's, while the Spurs are like cooking prime rib au jus at home.

1. McDonald's generates much more revenue for the beef industry than prime rib au jus does.

2. Obese mentally retarded idiots with spittle running down their shirts can understand how to order a McDonald's hamburger, and will enjoy the taste.

3. If an obese mentally retarded idiot tries to prepare prime rib au jus at home, either he will get confused and bored very quickly, or he will burn his house down.

4. Talented chefs understand that prime rib au jus is an example of beef being prepared the way it was meant to be prepared. People with means and with developed palates, who would never be seen in a McDonald's, enjoy prime rib au jus.

This analogy works perfectly, especially where Suns fans would be the obese mentally retarded idiots with spittle running down their shirts. Anyway, McDonald's saves the beef industry by keeping it in business, so that people who know better can enjoy prime rib au jus with reasonable availability.

Similarly, the Suns drum up interest in basketball among casual fans and morons, thus making it possible for Spurs basketball to be more widely distributed for those with superior taste.

E20
11-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Here's an analogy.

Let's say that basketball is like the beef industry. The Suns are like going out to eat at McDonald's, while the Spurs are like cooking prime rib au jus at home.

1. McDonald's generates much more revenue for the beef industry than prime rib au jus does.

2. Obese mentally retarded idiots with spittle running down their shirts can understand how to order a McDonald's hamburger, and will enjoy the taste.

3. If an obese mentally retarded idiot tries to prepare prime rib au jus at home, either he will get confused and bored very quickly, or he will burn his house down.

4. Talented chefs understand that prime rib au jus is an example of beef being prepared the way it was meant to be prepared. People with means and with developed palates, who would never be seen in a McDonald's, enjoy prime rib au jus.

This analogy works perfectly, especially where Suns fans would be the obese mentally retarded idiots with spittle running down their shirts. Anyway, McDonald's saves the beef industry by keeping it in business, so that people who know better can enjoy prime rib au jus with reasonable availability.

Similarly, the Suns drum up interest in basketball among casual fans and morons, thus making it possible for Spurs basketball to be more widely distributed for those with superior taste.
So you're saying without McDonalds (the Suns), the NBA (the beef industry) would go down taking the Spurs (Prime Rib) with them. The Spurs owe the Suns a lot. Thank god for the Suns..I mean Mcdonalds.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Here's an analogy.

Similarly, the Suns drum up interest in basketball among casual fans and morons, thus making it possible for Spurs basketball to be more widely distributed for those with superior taste.Bravo! :clap :hungry:

ShoogarBear
11-22-2007, 06:02 PM
You Mean BILL WALTON not Bill Russell... YOU see How eroneous information get started.. I saw the segment!!And this thread immediately vaults into the Classic Stage.

phyzik
11-23-2007, 12:24 AM
And this thread immediately vaults into the Classic Stage.

ehh, I was drunk when posting. Oh well.

mavs>spurs2
11-23-2007, 01:07 AM
ehh, I was drunk when posting. Oh well.

:lol Trying to save face?

MaNuMaNiAc
11-23-2007, 02:30 AM
How does one mistake Walton for Russel is beyond me... even if he was drunk. I mean, come on!

islandmon
11-25-2007, 07:04 AM
How does one mistake Walton for Russel is beyond me... even if he was drunk. I mean, come on!

Please kids dont do drugs before posting in a serious forum.. To confuse bill walton and bill russell that takes some serious drugs! What a Spurstalk Classic!
Let this be a lesson to all kids... Dont do drugs.. Please

mikejones99
11-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Steve Smith was a NBA guard who does not get quoted much anymore

Spurminator
11-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Here's an analogy.

:tu :tu

Also, if you put a McDonald's hamburger patty against prime rib au jus in a beef competition, well...

da_suns_fan__
11-26-2007, 01:50 PM
If your gonna do a food analogy, the Spurs are like a crust of bread and glass of water.

They'll keep you alive, but youre not gonna enjoy it.

Extra Stout
11-26-2007, 02:53 PM
If your gonna do a food analogy, the Spurs are like a crust of bread and glass of water.

A better food analogy would be grape Kool-Aid vs. Petrus.

If you give a child grape Kool-Aid, he'll think it's yummy. If you give a child Petrus, he'll think it's gross. He won't understand why anybody would ever choose to drink Petrus when he could have grape Kool-Aid.

ShoogarBear
11-26-2007, 03:01 PM
A better analogy would be the Suns are shit.

DarkReign
11-26-2007, 03:02 PM
If you give a child grape Kool-Aid, he'll think it's yummy. If you give a child Petrus, he'll think it's gross. He won't understand why anybody would ever choose to drink Petrus when he could have grape Kool-Aid.

^ way better analogy.

Side note: When did the Spurs get labeled as boring? They consistently score well over 100 points, yet can grind out 87-82 victories when need be.

Most boring should really be most versatile. Phoenix either runs and wins or runs and dies. Pistons, well, they arent worth talking about anymore.

The Spurs are the most versatile team in the league. Thats fun to watch.

703 Spurz
11-26-2007, 04:25 PM

U gotten laid recently pal? Is there any chance you did?

703 Spurz
11-26-2007, 04:26 PM
^ way better analogy.

Side note: When did the Spurs get labeled as boring? They consistently score well over 100 points, yet can grind out 87-82 victories when need be.

Most boring should really be most versatile. Phoenix either runs and wins or runs and dies. Pistons, well, they arent worth talking about anymore.

The Spurs are the most versatile team in the league. Thats fun to watch.

Lots of folks say they are boring. First they were soft, then dirty. Yet they still know how to win more games then most of the NBA teams.

Touche

yourcheatinheart
11-26-2007, 06:17 PM
the spurs are like the shit that girl took in the video 2girls1cup.com, while the league is the cup holding the shit in its place. spurs fans are like the girls eating the shit, spit swapping the shit, and eventualy throwing up the shit in each others mouths, because they can't wait to eat up the shit they just pushed out of thier own ass. the suns are like the background music because it's the most entertaining thing about the movie.

ShoogarBear
11-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks to Sun Fan for imparting his basketball knowledge on us all. He certainly deserves all the success his team has brought him.

Extra Stout
11-26-2007, 07:16 PM
I would like to clarify that yourcheatinheart is not one of my trolls.

Leetonidas
11-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Obsession noted.

That's getting really old already. You don't contribute shit but you're tired ass one liners and a big gay asterisk. Please, for the sake of the forum, never post again.

Leetonidas
11-26-2007, 07:29 PM
the spurs are like the shit that girl took in the video 2girls1cup.com, while the league is the cup holding the shit in its place. spurs fans are like the girls eating the shit, spit swapping the shit, and eventualy throwing up the shit in each others mouths, because they can't wait to eat up the shit they just pushed out of thier own ass. the suns are like the background music because it's the most entertaining thing about the movie.
Funny how all the other analogies by Spurs fans are more thought out and clever yet all SunFan can come up with is calling the Spurs shit.

Lame. :td

ShoogarBear
11-27-2007, 02:40 AM
I would like to clarify that yourcheatinheart is not one of my trolls.We could tell by the lack of capitalization.

PoleSmoking
11-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Diamondbacks couldn't sell out their playoffs...

Spurs couldn't sell out their playoffs either, idiot. Don't try to throw stones out of a glass house, fool. Your comments make Spurs fans look like morons.

Rummpd
11-27-2007, 07:39 PM
"If your gonna do a food analogy, the Spurs are like a crust of bread and glass of water.

They'll keep you alive, but youre not gonna enjoy it."

In reality the Spurs are the real thing, a true steak while the Suns are soft and runny and over-hyped kind of like thick crust pizza.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Don't try to throw stones out of a glass house, fool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcwfdFT1ohE

See 2:47.