PDA

View Full Version : Where did you see the 1999 Spurs win Game 5?

grindmouse
11-22-2007, 03:57 AM
Do any of you want to share where you was and what you was Doing the day Avery Johnson hit the winning basket to give the San Antonio Spurs their first ever NBA Championship after 25 long ass years?

(Warning this topic may be copied and pasted elsewhere.)

T Park.
11-22-2007, 04:18 AM
I was at a bar called the 50/50 on Broadway and I kissed everyone in the bar!

Then made a bad mistake and went to downtown SA with only a 1/4 tank of gas! :lmao

Zombie Terri Schiavo
11-22-2007, 04:21 AM
I was Drinking!

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2007, 04:38 AM
stayin up late at nite, to watch the replay game cast down under?

those were the days nba was free to air show casting game of the week on aussie tvs...

TampaDude
11-22-2007, 04:45 AM
Watching it on TV with my wife at home. We lived in NOVA at the time.

To me, the 1999 Championship is still the sweetest, because it was their first. :toast

XMas TRoLL
11-22-2007, 05:13 AM
I was still at work when everyone at Pizza Hut screamed so loud!
I almost quit my Job!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-22-2007, 07:04 AM
I was in my crappy loft in Elwyn House at Felsted School, Essex, UK. It was about 2am I think. It rocked!

All I could think was how Avery had proven Damon Stoudamire wrong, and how David, Sean and Avery finally got the ring they so richly deserved. :tu :D

dimsah
11-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Sitting on the living room floor of my shitty little apartment north of Coatesville, PA.
It was euphoric.

curtismedellin
11-22-2007, 09:17 AM
I don't remember ....I was drunk

MrChug
11-22-2007, 09:47 AM
I was at a dirty downtown place called "Nacho's De Knippa"...anyone remember that place?

You'd have to be pretty ghetto...plus Nacho was stabbed to death in the parking lot 4 months later (I think).

MrChug
11-22-2007, 09:47 AM
I was at a dirty downtown place called "Nacho's De Knippa"...anyone remember that place?

You'd have to be pretty ghetto...plus Nacho was stabbed to death in the parking lot 4 months later (I think).

R.I.P.

phyzik
11-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Fatso's sports garden. First time I've ever seen that section of Bandera road at a standstill.

samikeyp
11-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Hooters on Wurzbach hugging many a hooters girl.

twincam
11-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Do any of you want to share where you was and what you was Doing the day Avery Johnson hit the winning basket to give the San Antonio Spurs their first ever NBA Championship after 25 long ass years?

Do any of you want to share where you "were" and what you "were" "doing" the day Dirk choked in the playoffs? Oh wait, which year am I talking about? It really doesn't matter, since they are the opening act for the Spurs.
Grindmouse, judging from your choice or words, you must be a :fro . Get your grammar correct.
Oh and by the way, whenever you say the word "ask", it's not pronounced "aks". I hear that said EVERY day at my workplace. It's not a difficult word to prounounce. Tell your :fro folks to get it right.

Also, you don't say:...where you "was", it's where you "were". Jesus Christ. It's not hard.

nfg3
11-22-2007, 10:46 AM
In my living room. That was one of the most euphoric moments in my life. :clap :hungry: Right next to when my daughter was born and my successful passing of a long honored male intitiation ritual. After winning it I went outside and screamed at the top of my lungs for awhile. Kind of like howling at the moon. Then went inside and finished watching what was left on TV and ened the night by listening to the post show on the radio. I think it was Andy Everret who was the host. Damn I think I stayed up until 3 AM or so and was totally hoarse the next day.

TwelveGs210
11-22-2007, 10:56 AM
i was at the now defunct CICI's pizza on military and 90.. after the win ran about 2 miles home screaming, and slapping stop signs etc... waited till around 4:00 and broke into the local express-news vendor and stole all the commemerative special edition newspapers.. couldnt get downtown that year

lefty
11-22-2007, 11:18 AM
I was in France back then...

It was live at 2-3 AM :wakeup , but it was worth it.

The moment I was waiting for... :elephant

ShoogarBear
11-22-2007, 11:42 AM
I was watching the game with Mike Mitchell.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Hooters on Wurzbach hugging many a hooters girl.

Hey, I've been there a few times. Watched Spurs@Celtics there when I was over in February. My Hooter's girl was the best in the place, but I was too sick with Cedar Fever to use the accent to try and get a date... :depressed

samikeyp
11-22-2007, 09:06 PM
I was watching the game with Mike Mitchell.

:worthy:

Brodels
11-22-2007, 09:38 PM
In my mom's living room. I went to school 1500 miles away and ended up driving 22 hours straight so I wouldn't miss a game.

sa_kid20
11-22-2007, 09:43 PM
I was at Tiffany's sports bar even though i was under age but it was a special accoasion so i guess they didn't even care

timvp
11-22-2007, 09:48 PM
I was watching the game with Mike Mitchell.:rolleyes

timvp
11-22-2007, 09:48 PM
I was watching the game with George Gervin.

T Park
11-22-2007, 09:50 PM
sitting at the Del Mar race book watching on the huge big screen.

being the only one to cheer amongst hundreds of Knicks fans :lol

koopa
11-22-2007, 10:05 PM
i was visting my grandma for the summer, so i watched it her and my sister.........

JP le Requin
11-22-2007, 10:14 PM
it was 5am, i was in my house alone...spurs were so infamous at this time (NO TP, NO CHAMPIONSHIP WON BEFORE)
And I felt so happy for DAVE, SO HAPPY TO SEE THE FIRST TITLE OD TIM DUNCAN (only 2nd year, better than anyone in nba unless magic his own idoll!!!!)

DAMN..i remember

ashbeeigh
11-22-2007, 10:17 PM
I was living an hour and a half away from Green Bay in this hole in the wall town that only cared about the Packers. My mom and I cried. We moved back to San Antonio about three weeks later.

florige
11-22-2007, 10:51 PM
On the phone calling my sister making sure she was recording it!!!

I noticed the thread said where were you not what were you doing. I was home watching the game, I HAD to make sure that this was being recorded being as though it was the first time that a team of mine had won ANY kind of championship since the NY football Giants had in 91. Oh and the Baltimore CFL Stallions in 95 I think. I had to live through "Bulls fans" here in MD.... :rolleyes for decades. It was nice to see the good guys win for a change....

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2007, 10:58 PM
On the phone calling my sister making sure she was recording it!!!
Did she have the express written consent of the National Basketball Association??? :spin

SRJ
11-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Watching with the fam. Hugs all around in the end, and a congratulatory phone call from my best friend and Bulls fan - to whom I had confided, just one year before, that I doubted I would ever have this experience as a Spurs fan.

ShoogarBear
11-22-2007, 11:40 PM
:rolleyesThere needs to be a jealousy smiley.

It's twoo. I was at a house party of a lawyer friend of my dad's on the NW side. Before the game started he came in with his daughter. (I'm ashamed to say I didn't recognize him immediately.) He had just finished playing his last year in the Italian leagues and was now retired from ball for good. He still looked like he was in shape to play a few MPG in the NBA easily, though.

Anyway, during the game he didn't say much, but kept getting up and leaving the room at various points because he said watching the game was making him too nervous (it was cool beyond words that he still felt that kind of connection to the team).

During halftime we pumped him for stories about playing in the league back in the day. He said Larry Bird was easily the biggest trash talker around. Nonstop ultra-shit talker.

It was nice to see him get called on stage along with the other Spur Legends to hold up the LOB a few days later.

01Snake
11-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Cancun Mexico on a batchelor party. They setup a big screen in the lobby. The night they won it, the hotel brought us several bottles of champaign. Damn good time!!

bresilhac
11-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Cancun Mexico on a batchelor party. They setup a big screen in the lobby. The night they won it, the hotel brought us several bottles of champaign. Damn good time!!

I was at my Folks house in Gainesville, VA. I was so happy having supported the team since 1978 that I screamed until I was horse and then I wept saying that I could finally die in peace.

ashbeeigh
11-23-2007, 12:14 AM
I was at my Folks house in Gainesville, VA. I was so happy having supported the team since 1978 that I screamed until I was horse and then I wept saying that I could finally die in peace.

You went horse or hoarse? Because if you went horse that would have been more amazing then a lot of other stories. :D

bresilhac
11-23-2007, 12:17 AM
You went horse or hoarse? Because if you went horse that would have been more amazing then a lot of other stories. :D

Thanks for the correction. Yes I indeed went hoarse not horse after San Antonio won it all in '99.

florige
11-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Did she have the express written consent of the National Basketball Association??? :spin

Off the record... "yes" :lol

marini martini
11-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Ya know, I was at home w/ hubby & an other soccer parents, getting tipsy :oops & me & the other chick were sitting on my front porch tooo nervous to watch, as we both had high blood pressure :dramaquee We could not keep from peeking at the T. V. and when we realized they were goin to win, we jumped up & down & hugged each other :toast Then took more meds & passed out :dizzy

The End

Dave McNulla
11-23-2007, 02:03 AM
i was watching it on my black and white 5" portable tv because it was the only tv i had with an antenna (and the cable wasn't installed yet in my new apartment). i couldn't even see if the ball went in the basket. but i knew that spree did not make his shot when he got doubled by duncan and robinson.

where were you when the mavs won the championship?

VinnyTestesVerde
11-23-2007, 02:25 AM
in Port Aransas down on the Texas coast. watched it with my entire side of the family that is alllllllll from san antonio :toast

SpursWillOwn
11-23-2007, 10:55 AM
championship moments from nba.com

Jimcs50
11-23-2007, 11:16 AM
I was at home with a couple friend of ours and also was on this Spurs' forum chat celebrating with some of us long timers, like Travis, Cosmic Cowboy, Crazy One and a few others.

Mr. Body
11-23-2007, 11:32 AM
The Mr. Gatti's in Austin on MLK Boulevard not too far from campus. Good times, jovial room.

bigfundamental21
11-23-2007, 11:43 AM
I was watching at a friends apartment with co-workers. We all hugged each other and were jumping up and down! Then we piled into someone's SUV and drove downtown screaming out the windows all the way. I was driving and I was honking the horn so much that by the time we got back home in the wee hours of the morning, the horn was shot. That was the best of the four championships and I enjoyed celebrating every minute. That was when they actually let you go downtown to celebrate!

makedamnsure
11-23-2007, 11:57 AM
on the couch at home. I was 8.