PDA

View Full Version : Bucks Retire Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's Jersey

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Kareem honored by Bucks
By Charles F. Gardner
Wednesday, Nov 21 2007, 08:18 PM

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was honored in a halftime ceremony by the Bucks tonight, as the team re-dedicated his No. 33 jersey and hung a new banner from the rafters.

The Hall of Famer and former Bucks center thanked the Bradley Center crowd as the Bucks saluted his six years with the team, from 1969-'75, which included an NBA title in 1971 and a Western Conference title in 1974. Abdul-Jabbar won three league MVP trophies while with the Bucks and three more with the Los Angeles Lakers, the Bucks' opponent on Wednesday.

"I've been here since Monday, and seeing old friends and teammates has been a wonderful experience for me," the 60-year-old Abdul-Jabbar said.

"When I first came to Milwaukee, I didn't know what to expect and I had no idea what the fans were all about."

Abdul-Jabbar said he still can recall a road playoff victory over Philadelphia and finding 200 to 300 fans at the airport when the Bucks returned home.

"Their support never faltered the whole time I played here," Abdul-Jabbar said.

Also participating in the ceremony were Bucks owner Herb Kohl, former Bucks player and longtime broadcaster Jon McGlocklin, former players Sam Williams and Len Chappell, former Bucks trainer Arnie Garber and former Bucks player and general manager Wayne Embry.

"Kareem, you traveled the world, but to us you will always be the guy that came to Milwaukee and won a championship for Milwaukee," Sen. Kohl said. "You're a guy we regard as a son, and thank you for coming back tonight."

http://blogs.jsonline.com/bucks/archive/2007/11/21/kareem-honored-by-bucks.aspx

Harry Callahan
11-22-2007, 10:33 AM
KAJ took a dump on the great city of Milwaukee. I'm not surprised it took this long to retire his Bucks number. As a young kid, I really enjoyed watching Lew Alcindor when he played for the Bucks. Jabbar/Alcindor demanded a trade from the Bucks as he refused to return to the team in 1975 (contract dispute). Kareem was a great player but one sorry dude.

baseline bum
11-22-2007, 11:33 AM
The number had been retired before; they were just acknowledging all the retired numbers again in a ceremony. Kareem's a prick though, and doesn't deserve it after forcing a trade to either New York, LA, or Philly because he didn't want to play in a white city.

Walter Craparita
11-22-2007, 12:00 PM
He's not Chinese is he..

exstatic
11-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I'm actually surprised they ever retired it. He fucked that franchise, bad.

G-Money
11-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Some one said he left because he didn't want to play in a white city? Fuck that racist.

SRJ
11-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I'm actually surprised they ever retired it. He fucked that franchise, bad.

Maybe he did. He definitely delivered a championship, one of the greatest championship teams in NBA history, to that franchise. And he didn't fuck the franchise for 36 years - that's been bad luck or mismanagement.

He was the best player on their lone championship team and one of the best players in NBA history. That's worth a retirement IMO.