PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: The Spurs' shrinking 7-footer

Kori Ellis
12-26-2004, 02:46 AM
The Spurs' shrinking 7-footer
Web Posted: 12/26/2004 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122604.1C.BKNspurs.nesterovic.429448d0.html

Rasho Nesterovic earned the praise of teammates and coaches alike for his assertive performance on the evening of Nov. 18. He scored 10 of his season-high 16 points in the fourth quarter of the victory over Philadelphia, peppering the Sixers with a series of jump shots from the free-throw line.

Tim Duncan complimented Nesterovic not only for his shooting but also for holding his position on the block. Coach Gregg Popovich likewise commended his center's sudden aggressiveness. The Spurs hoped it was a sign of things to come.
It wasn't.

The following night in Boston, Nesterovic missed all but one of his seven shots and finished with two points in 23 minutes. In the 19 games since his performance in Philadelphia, he has averaged 4.4 points on 35.4percent shooting.

Nesterovic showed a glimpse of his abilities in Thursday's final 18 minutes against Minnesota. He threw down a two-handed dunk, made a 15-foot baseline jumper and calmly swished a step-back turnaround over the head of Kevin Garnett.

The brief flurry, however, came only after Popovich blistered him in the locker room at halftime and benched him to start the third quarter.

"We want him to look for his offense," Popovich said. "Sometimes he defers to everybody else on the court, but we love when he does what he did (Thursday).

"He's got a real ability offensively, but not if he's not demonstrative. It's not just going to happen."

The Spurs had few questions about Nesterovic's scoring capabilities when they signed him to a six-year, $42 million contract in July 2003. He had a dependable mid-range jump shot and nice footwork in the low post, both of which he used to average a career-best 11.2 points in his final season in Minnesota.

Nesterovic saw his shot attempts decline with the Spurs, in part, because he occasionally deferred too much to Duncan. But he averaged career highs in rebounds (7.7) and blocks (2.01) last season, and his 8.7 points per game on 46.9 percent shooting were slightly better than what David Robinson averaged (8.5 points on 46.9 percent shooting) during his final season.

Nesterovic also showed his potential, averaging 13.3 points and 10.3 rebounds during the 13 games Duncan was sidelined.

"He just looks like a powder-puff, so people say he's not doing anything," Popovich said earlier this season. "But when Tim was out ... he averaged a double-double. When Timmy came back, he went back into the shadows. We didn't want that to happen again."

So much for good planning. Twice in the past eight games, Popovich has given Nesterovic a seat to start the second half. He didn't play him in the final two quarters of the Dec. 8 loss to Seattle, calling his zero-point, two-rebound effort "awful."

Nesterovic played better the following night in Houston and responded well to Popovich's tough love Thursday. But he has struggled to generate any offense consistently — albeit sometimes with good reason.

The Spurs rarely run plays for Nesterovic, which means he often has to get his shots out of the team's motion or off offensive rebounds. And the ball doesn't swing to him as often as it does to other players.

"It's hard because you have Timmy, Manu (Ginobili), me and also Brent (Barry) and Bruce (Bowen)," Tony Parker said. "He just has to be aggressive, go to the boards and try to get what he can."

There's a thin line, Nesterovic said, between being aggressive and forcing shots. It also doesn't help he is not the strongest finisher at the rim.

"You do what you can do," he said, "but you don't do something you're not capable of."

Nesterovic has been capable enough in other areas. His rebounding and blocks are down slightly from last season, but so are his minutes. He helped shut down the Timberwolves in the second half Thursday, grabbing five boards and blocking three shots.

Said Popovich: "He's probably our best team defender as far as being in the right place at the right time."

Nesterovic's offense still has room to grow. In an attempt to cure his horrendous free-throw shooting (38.9 percent), he has begun experimenting with shooting with one hand. The coaches also have worked with him on a sweeping hook shot.

"We're following the policies of Iran and trying to keep it as secret as possible," Popovich said, laughing. "It will be explosive when we let it go. It will amaze you.

"He has a natural hook, so we're just trying to get him to use it."

The Spurs hope to see more shots from Nesterovic, regardless of their variety.

"He's in a slump now, but we trust him," Ginobili said. "He's our starting center, and we're behind him."

pjjrfan
12-26-2004, 03:38 PM
I love Manu's last quote. "We trust him, He's our starting center and we're behind him." This is the kind of teammate that I don't think Rasho had in Minnesota, and I believe the whole team is behind him and wants him to succeed, I know as Spur's fan I want him to be successful and become a force.

angel_luv
12-26-2004, 06:29 PM
I have every confidence in Rasho. He is under Pop's guidance and working hard. He will be just fine.