PDA

View Full Version : Toros Opening Day Roster

ChumpDumper
11-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Austin Toros Home Opener This Weekend at the Convention Center

AUSTIN, TX (November 21) - The Austin Toros finalized the opening day roster today and will start the season on the road against the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Friday in McAllen. The Toros tip-off their first home game of the 2007-08 season on Saturday, November 24th at 7 p.m. when they play the Bakersfield Jam at the Austin Convention Center.

The Toros will host a double header high school basketball series starting at 3:30p.m. on Saturday with Connally (Pflugerville) taking on Harker Heights (Killeen) and Round Rock versus Bowie (Austin) immediately following.

Pre-game ceremonies include the retiring of jersey number 3 in honor of the late Dennis Johnson, former head coach of the Austin Toros who passed away suddenly last February. The Johnson family will attend and youngest son, Daniel will pay special tribute to his father as part of the ceremony and banner unveiling.

Saturday’s game will be the first home game for the Toros in silver and black since the purchase of the team by the San Antonio Spurs this summer. Fans attending opening night will be the first to see the new court and players in Spurs colors. The Spurs also announced today the assignment of center Ian Mahinmi to the Toros.

“It should be a very special night honoring Coach Johnson and watching the high school rivalries before our game,” said Toros head coach Quin Snyder. “We are looking forward to the start of the season. We’ve been working hard in training camp and are ready to put it into action on the court.”

The Toros 2007 opening day roster includes:

Anthony Fuqua 24 6'11 225 C Texas-San Antonio
Carldwell "Squeeky" Johnson 10 5'10 180 G UAB
Daryl "Majic" Dorsey 4 6'0 170 G Southern Indiana
Eric Dawson* 50 6'9 235 F Midwestern State
Justin Bowen 18 6'7 210 F Illinois-Chicago
Keith Langford 15 6'4 215 G Kansas
Kenton Paulino 13 6'1 185 G Texas
Kevin Pittsnogle 34 6'11 240 F West Virginia
Patrick Fields* 21 6'6 210 G Baylor
Timothy Bush* 22 6'6 245 F Baylor
Ian Mahinmi** 32 6'11 230 C France

*Rookie **Assigned from San Antonio Spurs

Coach Snyder added, “I believe that our franchise truly has a commitment to the development of these young athletes on the court and off. I look forward to witnessing this process unfold given the average age of our players is pretty young. I think fans can look forward to seeing the future of the Spurs in Ian Mahinmi, in addition to the development of some really good athletes.”

http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/home_opener_071121.html

That's a good starting lineup that can compete with any team in the league. Got some gaping holes in the bench at the swing spots and scoring will be an issue when the starters are out. I expect to see some more acquisitions as the season goes by.

Bruno
11-22-2007, 12:19 PM
I guess that Patrick Fields will be the one to go when Williams will be back from his injury. A report said that he was cut during the preseason but they should have called him back after Marcus Williams injury.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-22-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm suprised they didn't find a few more UT guys to fill out the squad

spursincharge
11-22-2007, 12:52 PM
The Vipers down in McAllen got 3 UT guys..Craig Widner, Gabe Mueneke, and Kenny Taylor

Southwest Texas Fan
11-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Austin Toros Home Opener This Weekend at the Convention Center

AUSTIN, TX (November 21) - The Austin Toros finalized the opening day roster today and will start the season on the road against the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Friday in McAllen. The Toros tip-off their first home game of the 2007-08 season on Saturday, November 24th at 7 p.m. when they play the Bakersfield Jam at the Austin Convention Center.

The Toros will host a double header high school basketball series starting at 3:30p.m. on Saturday with Connally (Pflugerville) taking on Harker Heights (Killeen) and Round Rock versus Bowie (Austin) immediately following.

Pre-game ceremonies include the retiring of jersey number 3 in honor of the late Dennis Johnson, former head coach of the Austin Toros who passed away suddenly last February. The Johnson family will attend and youngest son, Daniel will pay special tribute to his father as part of the ceremony and banner unveiling.

Saturday’s game will be the first home game for the Toros in silver and black since the purchase of the team by the San Antonio Spurs this summer. Fans attending opening night will be the first to see the new court and players in Spurs colors. The Spurs also announced today the assignment of center Ian Mahinmi to the Toros.

“It should be a very special night honoring Coach Johnson and watching the high school rivalries before our game,” said Toros head coach Quin Snyder. “We are looking forward to the start of the season. We’ve been working hard in training camp and are ready to put it into action on the court.”

The Toros 2007 opening day roster includes:

Anthony Fuqua 24 6'11 225 C Texas-San Antonio
Carldwell "Squeeky" Johnson 10 5'10 180 G UAB
Daryl "Majic" Dorsey 4 6'0 170 G Southern Indiana
Eric Dawson* 50 6'9 235 F Midwestern State
Justin Bowen 18 6'7 210 F Illinois-Chicago
Keith Langford 15 6'4 215 G Kansas
Kenton Paulino 13 6'1 185 G Texas
Kevin Pittsnogle 34 6'11 240 F West Virginia
Patrick Fields* 21 6'6 210 G Baylor
Timothy Bush* 22 6'6 245 F Baylor
Ian Mahinmi** 32 6'11 230 C France

*Rookie **Assigned from San Antonio Spurs

Coach Snyder added, “I believe that our franchise truly has a commitment to the development of these young athletes on the court and off. I look forward to witnessing this process unfold given the average age of our players is pretty young. I think fans can look forward to seeing the future of the Spurs in Ian Mahinmi, in addition to the development of some really good athletes.”

http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/home_opener_071121.html

That's a good starting lineup that can compete with any team in the league. Got some gaping holes in the bench at the swing spots and scoring will be an issue when the starters are out. I expect to see some more acquisitions as the season goes by.

Will Mahinmi be a starter?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Will Mahinmi be a starter?
I think so, but whether he is or isn't he's expected to get around 35mpg.