PDA

View Full Version : Another Heath Ledger (Joker Talk) Interview

The Red Hood
11-23-2007, 11:18 PM
In a new interview from SFX magazine (#164) out now in the UK, Heath talks about the Joker. Some pretty big Spoilers below.

JOKER IN THE PACK

Heath Ledger yaks about playing The Dark Knight's arch-enemy

Q. Did the fact that Chris Nolan's take on the Batman franchise was very different from Tim Burton's give you room to completely redevelop the character of the Joker?

"A. It was the only way I could look at it really. I felt safe, having seen Chris's first take, which was drastically different from Tim's style. He had created a world that would permit a new version or take on the Joker. It's the most fun I've had on anything with any character. It's really exceeded my expectations - it's been fucking awesome!"

Q. Did you grow up on the Batman TV show from the '60s or Burton's two films?

"A. Burton's films. I loved what Jack Nicholson did. It took a while, when I was developing the character. I locked myself in a hotel room in London for a month, trying to find a vice that wouldn't sound like Jack. It was really hard to say a line without it sounding like Jack Nicholson! You couldn't help but slip into that mode. Eventually I did. It took a little tweaking."

Q. Were you not worried about coming onto such a huge-budget franchise?

"A. It's definitely a machine and you really feel it when you're on set. The awareness of it is creepy. But I could not turn down this character. I really enjoy working behind a mask and I'm actually working behind a mask. It's fucking sinister and psychotic and he's bloodthirsty. It's just twisted and I've really enjoyed it."

Q. Can you tell us about the Joker mask?

"A. It's made up of three pieces. It's a new technology. It's not a prosthetic. This guy created these silicone pieces and they stamp them on. It's a lot quicker and super flexible. You hardly even know it's on your face. If it were a prosthethic, I'd have to have my whole neck and jaw done."

Q. It's not too difficult to put on then?

"A. It's pretty easy to get into. I don't instantly act like the Joker when I'm in the make-up chair, but it's hard not to get a big grin on your face when you're sitting there and your hair goes green!"

Q. How have you found working with your on-screen nemesis, Christian Bale?

"A. He's remarkable, man. I don't know how he manages to crank out an amazing performance, while wearing a batsuit. He's very serious, into his job, very professional, super committed. I just don't know how he keeps a straight face wearing that suit. Luckily I don't have to!"