PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs Grizzlies - Nov. 23

timvp
11-23-2007, 11:24 PM
The Spurs handled the Memphis Grizzlies about as easily as a team can be handled. The Spurs got up by double figures early and didn't break a sweat as they rolled to a 101-88 victory.

The game was basically over when Marc Iavaroni, head coach of the Grizzlies, started the game with Rudy Gay on Tim Duncan. How Iavaroni thought Gay, a small forward, was going to guard Duncan I don't know. Then again, when your previous job was the defensive coordinator of the Phoenix Suns, we probably shouldn't expect too much out of him.

The most impressive aspect of what the Spurs did tonight was their defense. The Grizzlies actually have quite a few players who are talented and can score, but the Spurs never let them get rolling. The Spurs had great energy defensively and managed to stay in front of the Grizzlies, even though they were playing a small ball lineup against the Spurs' regular lineup.

-Tim Duncan was really good. He played as if he was insulted to be guarded by Gay to start the game. He played only three quarters but still managed to finish with a season-high 28 points. Duncan's defense in the first half was fantastic. He was about as active as he's been all season. He even dove on the court a couple times going after loose balls. Great overall effort by Duncan.

-Manu Ginobili brought great energy yet again. Although his shot was off (5-for-15 from the field), Ginobili made up for it with his overall play. He had a couple of big rebounds (finished with four for the game) and also dished out four assists. His intangibles were evident in the plus/minus stat as he finished with a team best +21.

-Tony Parker in the first half was awesome. He had 17 points, seven assists and four rebounds in the first half. In the second quarter, he was unguardable; whether it was him looking to score or setting up his teammates. Parker didn't play too well in the second half but the game was basically over by that point.

-Bruce Bowen was mostly on Mike Miller and he did a decent job on him. He didn't have a typical Bowen outing but he wasn't overly needed tonight. Bowen did chip in with five rebounds and led the starters in plus/minus at +11.

-Michael Finley had another cold outing. He hit only 1-of-7 shots, including 0-for-3 on three pointers. To his credit, Finley was at least playing well defensively. He had six rebounds and did a good job of staying in front of the younger and quicker players on the Grizzlies.

-Fabricio Oberto did a good job of battling Pau Gasol on the defensive end when called to do so. On offense, he also attacked the small lineup Iavaroni was trying to trot out there. Eight points and five boards is about all you need out of the center spot in 24 minutes of action.

-Brent Barry was again very good. His hesitation was back a bit early in the game but as the game went on, he started letting it fly again. Barry finished with 14 points, four assists, three rebounds and two steals while bringing a Manu-esque level of energy to the court. Barry is looking as comfortable as he's ever looked in a Spurs uniform.

-Tonight was a step in the right direction for Francisco Elson. His rebounding was great as he finished with nine in 20 minutes. More importantly, he got back to playing smart basketball as he was earlier in the season. He went through a period where he was just going through the motions but against the Grizzlies, he was back to his previous form.

-It appeared as if Jacque Vaughn was trying to set a personal record for field goal attempts tonight. He shot nine times (making four) in 19 minutes of playing time. That's a lot of shots for a player who doesn't have much of an offensive game. I'd rather him pass more but if he's open like he was tonight, he's going to have to shoot. Let's just hope that he doesn't shoot this much in an important game.

-Matt Bonner, Ime Udoka and Darius Washington got some minutes when the game was over. The most notable news is that it appears as if Bonner has fallen out of the regular rotation. Since Bonner hasn't played well since the preseason and the very beginning of the regular season, that isn't much of a surprise. Udoka came in and quickly airballed a three-pointer. It appears as if he has been stricken with the “I can't shoot in my first year as a Spur” disease. Washington was sloppy in his short time on the court, which isn't something you want to see out of a young player.

-Pop didn't have to do much coaching tonight. Duncan's inspired play pretty much ended the contest in the first quarter. It's interesting to see how his rotation is working out. Barry appears to have earned more minutes, while Bonner has earned his additional minutes on the bench. Perhaps the best part of the game is that no Spur played more than 30 minutes. That should pay dividends as the Spurs embark on a road back-to-back against the Sonics and Kings on Sunday and Monday.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-23-2007, 11:26 PM
:tu

myhc
11-23-2007, 11:28 PM
always enjoy the game summary timvp! :wakeup

HighLowLobForBig-50
11-23-2007, 11:31 PM
nicely done

ploto
11-23-2007, 11:32 PM
The most notable news is that it appears as if Bonner has fallen out of the regular rotation. Since Bonner hasn't played well since the preseason and the very beginning of the regular season, that isn't much of a surprise.
Don't you find this one of the biggest let-downs of the young season as Bonner was expected to really get some playing time with Horry out. Wonder if he is soon to become the new "guy the Spurs have to get rid of because of his contract?"

T Park
11-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Don't you find this one of the biggest let-downs of the young season as Bonner was expected to really get some playing time with Horry out. Wonder if he is soon to become the new "guy the Spurs have to get rid of because of his contract?"

Wow, that post wasn't expected...

timmy21_4rings
11-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Then again, when your previous job was the defensive coordinator of the Phoenix Suns, we probably shouldn't expect too much out of him.

Sweet

ChumpDumper
11-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Don't you find this one of the biggest let-downs of the young season as Bonner was expected to really get some playing time with Horry out.Not really.
Wonder if he is soon to become the new "guy the Spurs have to get rid of because of his contract?"Not really, but thanks for not taking a holiday from your agenda.

jman3000
11-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Whenever I see Timmy's jersey untucked, I know he means business.

duncan228
11-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks timvp, I was waiting for you.
I love watching a game and then having you sum up what I saw.
Having no Spurs fans around me in my "real life" I look forward to your thoughts. They wrap up the night for me.

I've been an NBA fan for years but I find I still learn a lot from your insight.

All I want to add is the emphasis on Duncan tonight. As great as Parker has become, as wonderful as it is to see Manu returning to form, as exciting as it is to see this team so jelled this early, there's nothing like watching a Spurs game when Duncan plays like he did tonight. This is his team and on nights like this he reminds us all that he is the best player on both ends of the court. Energy, focus, drive, it was all there tonight. And it was a joy to watch.

whottt
11-23-2007, 11:48 PM
-Brent Barry was again very good. His hesitation was back a bit early in the game but as the game went on, he started letting it fly again. .

He wasn't hesitating...you just don't understand his game. He likes to make passes...that's why he's good at making them. Plus he doesn't like chucking up crap shots. Punish the dude for being unselfish why don't you.

I promise you...the Grizz were aware of what he did in his last game. And Ivaroni was familiar with him for other reasons as well.

T Park
11-23-2007, 11:51 PM
He wasn't hesitating...you just don't understand his game. He likes to make passes...that's why he's good at making them. Plus he doesn't like chucking up crap shots. Punish the dude for being unselfish why don't you.

He was hesitating.

He passed up alot of shots in the second quarter he should've shot.

Quit it.

whottt
11-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Sorry...you're just projecting.

People have been projecting Barry as a heartless choker who plays afraid since the day he signed here...

And he's made them look stupid for it..

Meanwhile...you were the biggest Rasho and Hedo fan on the board when they signed...and TimVP is MBon Fan num 1...

The last two guys that need to be giving lectures on who plays afraid...are you two.

whottt
11-23-2007, 11:57 PM
I just want to make sure I got the logic right...

Not afraid VS the 10-1 Magic

Afraid VS the 3-7 Grizz?

Got it.

T Park
11-24-2007, 12:01 AM
I just want to make sure I got the logic right...

Not afraid VS the 10-1 Magic

Afraid VS the 3-7 Grizz?

Got it

You don't understand agressive vs tentative do you.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2007, 12:01 AM
Whenever I see Timmy's jersey untucked, I know he means business.
:lol

T Park
11-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Meanwhile...you were the biggest Rasho and Hedo fan on the board when they signed

I was also the orginal Ginobili homer, and having to defend him when it was popular to think "Giricek> Ginobili"

whottt
11-24-2007, 12:08 AM
You don't understand agressive vs tentative do you.

He's an agressive passer...not an agressive scorer. And it's got nothing to do with fear...and it never has.

You want to say he's not selfish enough for something go right ahead...but you guys have been trying to gloss it as some kind of fear since the day he signed here...and...jeez...I'd just shut up if I'd been proven wrong as much as you guys have.

IT's really not hard to figure out why Barry plays the way he does...

His dad is the ALL TIME SHOT CHUCKER in NBA history, he makes AI look like John Stockton...Barry had an estranged relationship with his dad for most of his life, his Dad divoreced their mom and partied and was never around when he was a kid...he doesn't want to be his dad...is it really so hard to figure out?

It's not fear...he just doesn't want to be a ball hog. And I've never seen a guy get hated more for being unselfish than Barry has by Spurs fans.

BeerIsGood!
11-24-2007, 12:53 AM
He's an agressive passer...not an agressive scorer. And it's got nothing to do with fear...and it never has.

You want to say he's not selfish enough for something go right ahead...but you guys have been trying to gloss it as some kind of fear since the day he signed here...and...jeez...I'd just shut up if I'd been proven wrong as much as you guys have.

His dad is the ALL TIME SHOT CHUCKER in NBA history, he makes AI look like John Stockton...Barry had an estranged relationship with his dad for most of his life, his Dad divoreced their mom and partied and was never around when he was a kid...he doesn't want to be his dad...is it really so hard to figure out?

It's not fear...he just doesn't want to be a ball hog. And I've never seen a guy get hated more for being unselfish than Barry has by Spurs fans.

I agree that Barry's not afraid to shoot and prefers to make plays for others, but that bit about his dad and not wanting to be like him is way out in left field and very Oliver Stone-esque.

E20
11-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Whottt's racist.
Barry is White.
Fin is Black.
What else is new?

whottt
11-24-2007, 01:01 AM
I agree that Barry's not afraid to shoot and prefers to make plays for others, but that bit about his dad and not wanting to be like him is way out in left field and very Oliver Stone-esque.

Actually...it's not at all. In fact he or Jon said as much in an interview....none of them liked Rick when they were kids, and they were pretty honest about why. And Barry has said he's not a chucker like his dad many times.

One of them liked him...it might have been Brent...but he has always said he's not a chucker like his dad.

BeerIsGood!
11-24-2007, 01:11 AM
That may be true, but I doubt Brent made it a point to not shoot as much because of his dislike for his dad. It's probably just his personality and the way his game developed. You do what you're comfortable with, and Barry isn't comfortable taking a ton of shots.

whottt
11-24-2007, 01:16 AM
That may be true, but I doubt Brent made it a point to not shoot as much because of his dislike for his dad. It's probably just his personality and the way his game developed. You do what you're comfortable with, and Barry isn't comfortable taking a ton of shots.

I'll concede that Barry may be the Barry son that didn't dislike Rick(because in the article I read one of them liked being his son and it might well have been Brent)....but I know for a fact that the reason he doesn't jack up a lot of shots is because he wants to be a different player than his Dad...he's flat out said it.

Plus...his Dad was a legendary NBA asshole that wasn't liked by a lot of his teamates because of the fact that he was a ball hog...Rick was the original selfish ballhogging player rep....this is easy to verify.

whottt
11-24-2007, 01:19 AM
Whottt's racist.
Barry is White.
Fin is Black.
What else is new?

:jack

DieMrBond
11-24-2007, 01:39 AM
Whottt, id say it probably is Brent that gets along with his Dad, as Rick is quite often seen at Spurs games, and he was there for most of both Finals trips ... I dont remember hearing anything about him being around for Jons games (although, that doesnt mean much!)

Dirk Nowitzki
11-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Thanks timvp, I was waiting for you.
I love watching a game and then having you sum up what I saw.
Having no Spurs fans around me in my "real life" I look forward to your thoughts. They wrap up the night for me.

I've been an NBA fan for years but I find I still learn a lot from your insight.

:jack :jack :jack :jack forum! :) :lol :lol

whottt
11-24-2007, 01:46 AM
Whottt, id say it probably is Brent that gets along with his Dad, as Rick is quite often seen at Spurs games, and he was there for most of both Finals trips ... I dont remember hearing anything about him being around for Jons games (although, that doesnt mean much!)

They all get along with him now....but they didn't all get along with him when they were kids...he wasn't the guy that raised them.

whottt
11-24-2007, 02:01 AM
Found the article:

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-25018.html

Original link is gone now.

http://slamonline.com/magazine/features/Bones85

Brent Barry :: The Problem is the Solution
WORDS :: MICHAEL WEINREB

Brent Barry, high-priced offseason free-agent acquisition of the San Antonio Spurs, would like you to know that, in addition to his wife and 4-year-old son, he has a girlfriend in every Western Conference city and a set of 22-inch spinners on his ride.

There is only one problem with this: Brent Barry is lying. And he’s doing a poor job of it, too. No doubt, he would like to make more of an effort to fit what he thinks of as the SLAM stereotype, and he’d like to do a better job of forcing his ego upon us—to insist that he’s not happy coming off the bench for what may be the League’s deepest team, and to assure us that almost a decade after he became the palest man to win an NBA Dunk Contest, he can still throw down with the best of them.

But the truth ain’t quite so sexy. The truth is this: Brent Barry drives a Volkswagen Euro Van with a surfboard in tow. The truth is, Brent Barry’s got no issues being a sixth man, especially if it means he’s got a shot to win a ring (and we are convinced he actually means this). The truth is, Brent Barry attempted a routine dunk in practice a couple of days before we spoke to him, at the start of ’04-05 season, and Tim Duncan, having witnessed the ugliness that ensued, said, “You’re the same guy who won the Dunk Contest?”

So how, exactly, did this happen? How did a 34-year-old California beach bum with sporadic knee tendonitis become one of the League’s most coveted free-agent prizes, eventually signing a four-year deal with the Spurs worth about $23 million? How is it that so many intelligent people in this League are convinced a shaggy-haired 6-6 swingman might be the difference between a team that falls short just like last year and a team that wins its third NBA title since 1999?

“I don’t know, but it’s kind of flattering,” Barry says. “It’s flattering to hear from a lot of people in the offseason, to hear from teammates you used to play with, and to realize that people in and around the NBA appreciate the kind of game you have. Then again, a lot of people are talking about how I can get this team over the hump, but they were only a few seconds away [from beating the Lakers in the Western semis] last season. That sounds more like an anthill than a hump to me.”

And Barry thinks he can manage that. It’s apropos of the kind of player he is: He makes a difference without anyone realizing he’s made much of a difference—at least, not until it’s too late. He can penetrate and score, and he can penetrate and dish. He can play the point, and he can play on the wing. And he’s one of the most accurate three-point shooters in the League because he knows how to pick his spots; because he’s a shooter, and not a “chucker.”

“Not like my dad,” Bones says. “My dad was a chucker. No matter how many times it took him to score, he was going to shoot.”

There was a time, of course, when Brent Barry was known almost solely because of his dad, when he was just one of the Sons of Rick, offspring of the only man to lead the NCAA, NBA and ABA in scoring, the Hall of Famer who never met a jumper he didn’t like. Of the Sons of Rick, there was Drew (who played in the League from ’97-00), there was Scooter (who’s been playing in Europe for more than a decade), there was Jon (who’s still hanging around with the Hawks) and there was Brent, the tallest of them all, who came out of Oregon State in 1995 and, in February of his rookie year with the Clippers, threw down a smirking dunk from the free-throw line that seemed like it might be his 15 minutes of fame. His was an unconventional family dynamic, and it was exposed publicly in a 1991 Sports Illustrated story that detailed his parents’ divorce and the family divisions it created, and portrayed Rick—who called the article a “hatchet job”—as an aloof father. Brent, the story went, was the one who “likes being Rick Barry’s son,” according to Drew.

But instead of getting caught up in the considerable shadow of his father’s legacy (“I don’t think I’d use the word ‘burden,’” he says), something happened to Brent Barry over the years. People began to realize certain things about him: That he had an array of skills, that he wasn’t just a white boy with hops and good bloodlines, wasn’t just a rampant shooter like his dad. After his first four journeyman seasons, he became a valuable man over the course of five years in Seattle, so valuable that Sonics coach Nate McMillan, in the midst of last season, called Barry “the glue to our team.” And so it goes with the Spurs, who will use Barry to spell Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen, who will use him as an outside shooting threat when teams collapse on Duncan, and who will use him at point guard when Tony Parker needs a blow. Which has Bowen saying things like, “With his athleticism out there on the wing, he can really create something very positive for the city of San Antonio.”

And we all know what that means, don’t we?

It could be argued that Brent Barry didn’t need San Antonio as much as San Antonio needed him. He didn’t have to take up a spot on the bench for a team that has more than its share of established talent. He could’ve started somewhere else, could have put up better numbers and more shots in another city. But Barry’s been around long enough to recognize this as a pivotal moment in his career, as a chance to win a title, a chance to branch off from the family name and establish his own legacy. And so he waited until all the big names on the market had made their decisions, and then, when it was over, he couldn’t stop thinking about the Spurs.

“There’s a viability here,” he says. “It’s a different sense of team than what I’ve been a part of in the past.”

What does that mean, exactly? Well, it took some time for Barry to straighten that out himself. And then one day last summer, it came clear. This was on a July afternoon in San Antonio, and all things being equal, Barry would rather have been surfing. Four or five days a week in the offseason, he’s at the beach, and each summer for the past few years he’s gone to Costa Rica to surf and relax and get the taste of, say, a frigid December road trip to Milwaukee out of his mouth.

But Barry had just agreed to his deal with the Spurs, and there were papers to be signed, details to be worked out, and so he sat in an office with the general manager, RC Buford, and the director of basketball operations, Danny Ferry, next to a window that overlooked the SBC Center floor. The blinds were pulled low, but Barry peeked out, and he could see a pair of legs out there on the court, a pair of legs sheathed in rubber bands, doing defensive slide drills. The Spurs’ new prize poked a finger between the slats, and there was Tim Duncan, the best player in the League, maybe the best player in the world, sweating through a hellish summer routine.

“Yeah, he had the Olympics to get ready for, but still, I’m thinking, What’s going on in the other gyms in the middle of July?” Barry says. “And here he is, doing the most monotonous, most boring, ****tiest drill you can be doing.” So this is what Barry means by viability. This is what he means when he says there’s an “understanding” among the players on the San Antonio roster, that a championship is one of those unspoken goals that lingers during each and every practice. This is all new for Barry, and he’s soaking it all in, step by step. In Seattle, he was the crux of a young team aiming for the playoffs, and before that, he was in transition in Chicago and Miami, and before that he was with the Clippers, where he channeled most of his talents into finding a way to survive. “I’ve missed out on the winning,” he says. “And I know the opportunity is going to be there this time.”

For more on Brent Barry, pick up SLAM 85

link (http://slamonline.com/magazine/features/Bones85/)

timvp
11-24-2007, 02:08 AM
His hesitation was backI smiled when I wrote those four words because I knew what would ensue . . .

Kori Ellis
11-24-2007, 02:16 AM
I don't think any of the Barry boys had a good (or even decent) relationship with their dad when they were kids. One of them (maybe Brent) worked out their differences sooner than the others but that was still well into their NBA careers, just a few years ago.

whottt
11-24-2007, 02:16 AM
I smiled when I wrote those four words because I knew what would ensue . . .

The funny thing is...his D tonight was a pretty good target....he didn't have the same defensive intensity he did in the Orlando game. Maybe he saves that for when he gets to play PF or something....

timvp
11-24-2007, 02:20 AM
The funny thing is...his D tonight was a pretty good target....he didn't have the same defensive intensity he did in the Orlando game. Maybe he saves that for when he gets to play PF or something....Speaking of positions, I've been waiting for you to break out your "Barry is hitting shots because he's playing point guard" take.

Or at least your "fine, maybe he wasn't playing point guard but he was initiating the offense without dribbling" take.

Those are my favorite. :smokin

whottt
11-24-2007, 02:20 AM
I don't think any of the Barry boys had a good (or even decent) relationship with their dad when they were kids. One of them (maybe Brent) worked out their differences sooner than the others but that was still well into their NBA careers, just a few years ago.

I was just watching my first few basketball games when Rick Barry was retiring...and he wasn't liked.

It's funny because a lot of the things that people are critical of the modern NBA players(selfishness, greed)...Rick Barry was the prototype
of that type of player...

Holding out for more money or a bigger role, demanding trades....making racially insensitive comments, being a ballhog...Rick Barry won the triple crown in those things.

It's not hard to see why they would try to separate themselves from that rep just a bit, and might try to play a diffferent game.

The funny thing is...I think it's Jon that doesn't get along with him that much...but Jon is the one that is the most reminiscent of Rick Barry personality wise...Brent got his game...but Jon got his attitude.

whottt
11-24-2007, 02:27 AM
Speaking of positions, I've been waiting for you to break out your "Barry is hitting shots because he's playing point guard" take.

Or at least your "fine, maybe he wasn't playing point guard but he was initiating the offense without dribbling" take.

Those are my favorite. :smokin

He is...

It's almost like Pop is throwing him a bone for jacking up more shots and putting out more effort on D...

Pop is definitely expanding his role...

I've got to find ways to get him on the court

It's like he had to play the way Pop wants him to play, before Pop was going to let him play the way he wants to play. And now that he has...Pop is letting him have some fun out there.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-24-2007, 02:59 AM
Bonner's in the doghouse already? So much for him being our white horry.

phyzik
11-24-2007, 03:09 AM

Sounds like a Disney movie.... do they reconcile after Barry retires or does his dad show up for the last game of his career and sheds a tear while saying "Im proud of you!"?

Barry was passing up shots. end of story.

whottt
11-24-2007, 03:11 AM
Sounds like a Disney movie.... do they reconcile after Barry retires?

Like others have mentioned...they already have reconciled. Rick shows up at Spurs games to watch Brent play. He's not going that because he's a Spursfan.

wildbill2u
11-24-2007, 03:11 AM
1. Bonner may have been on the pine because the Griz were going small ball. He hasn't played particularly well in the last couple of games, but Pop has praised him this season. Pop is all about matchups and I think he'll give Bonner minutes.

2. I'm down with starting Barry over Finley in the SG spot. He's earned it. Let Finley find his missing shot stroke (4-20 for the last two games?) from the second unit.

whottt
11-24-2007, 03:12 AM
I choose to be ignorant. end of story.

Because one Finley isn't enough?

Be my guest...but whatever you do...don't read the article I posted from the year Brent was signed...

timvp
11-24-2007, 03:17 AM
He is...He is what?

"Playing point guard" or "initiating the offense without actually initiating the offense"? Which one are you going to claim this time? All he's really doing is hitting open shots, making some good passes and playing defense. Yet I'm sure you have him doing much more than that.

I'm not sure Barry has dribbled the ball in the last two games but I'm sure you'll find a way to explain how he's been free to be Steve Nash out there.

whottt
11-24-2007, 03:31 AM
He is what?

"Playing point guard" or "initiating the offense without actually initiating the offense"? Which one are you going to claim this time? All he's really doing is hitting open shots, making some good passes and playing defense. Yet I'm sure you have him doing much more than that.

LMAO...you and I just see a different game....I had everyone from every journalist in SA to Manu to I think evne Pop saying that Barry got minutes at the point...not to mention the fact that we had no healthy PG's on the roster at that time to bolser my argument...you said otherwise. I really don't know how to argue with that...

Secondly...he sure as hell was acting as the point at times tonight, and he was dribbling the ball.

I'm not sure Barry has dribbled the ball in the last two games but I'm sure you'll find a way to explain how he's been free to be Steve Nash out there.

Proof you and I see completely different games....

To me the Orlando game was entirely different than this one...they ran small ball a hell of a lot more in the Orlando game and Barry was being played as one of the (interchangeble)bigs in it, at least defensively...which hadn't been done with him much since a couple of times in 05(the big comeback against the Nets immediately comes to mind).

I can't think of many times we've run small ball since with a lineup utlizing both Barry and Finley....it's usually one or the other.

In any case...I never claimed the Orlando game was a game he got used at the point to benefit him, comepletely different...but they did run at least one play for him to get a shot off, which is something they haven't done since like the 20th game of his first season here...

IF you want proof of this...well there was a pregame interview with Barry tonight explaining that it helps a lot when you know when and where you are going to be getting the ball.

timvp
11-24-2007, 03:38 AM
LMAO...you and I just see a different game....I had everyone from every journalist in SA to Manu to I think evne Pop saying that Barry got minutes at the point...not to mention the fact that we had no healthy PG's on the roster at that time to bolser my argument...you said otherwise. I really don't know how to argue with that...What does preseason Brent Barry have to do with anything?

Secondly...he sure as hell was acting as the point at times tonight, and he was dribbling the ball. When? Give me a time/date/quarter anything as proof. He dribbled a couple times in a half court set but thats about it.

Do you have proof or do you wear second Brent Barry Point Guard goggles that allow you to see things that don't happen?

In any case...I never claimed the Orlando game was a game he got used at the point to benefit him, comepletely different...but they did run at least one play for him to get a shot off, which is something they haven't done since like the 20th game of his first season here...
Ben ROFLsberger.

Barry has plays drawn up for him all the time. Even in the playoffs. Remember the Barry Lucky Bounce? You think that play drew up itself? Even during last year's playoffs Pop drew up plays for him at least five times throughout the playoffs. Barry probably ranks second to Finley as far as plays drawn up specifically to get a shooter a shot.

IF you want proof of this...well there was a pregame interview with Barry tonight explaining that it helps a lot when you know when and where you are going to be getting the ball.Yeah notice he didn't say anything about dribbling.

Please point me to where Barry was dribbling the ball up the court. In either of the last two games. The one time he got the ball in the backcourt he stood still until someone came to get the ball.

Please point toward proof.

Thanks.

whottt
11-24-2007, 03:46 AM
What does preseason Brent Barry have to do with anything?

When? Give me a time/date/quarter anything as proof. He dribbled a couple times in a half court set but thats about it.

Do you have proof or do you wear second Brent Barry Point Guard goggles that allow you to see things that don't happen?

LMAO...go back watch, he sure as hell did do it.

LMAO..Bruce Bowen even brought it up once tonight. Bad night to ask that question....

To you that defines being the PG I guess...to me it doesn't. I guess that means Bruce got a minute at the point tonight. I'm sure that technically your definition is probably accurate...but it's not exactly what I mean..and I have other knowledgable people that agree with mine...including Manu..and the two guys announcing the game tonight on Fox.

Barry has plays drawn up for him all the time. Even in the playoffs. Remember the Barry Lucky Bounce? You think that play drew up itself? Even during last year's playoffs Pop drew up plays for him at least five times throughout the playoffs. Barry probably ranks second to Finley as far as plays drawn up specifically to get a shooter a shot.

I think it's rare that the Spurs draw up a play for a shooter to get a shot as the first option, except in the most extreme of circumstances..and Barry usually isn't on the court in the most extreme of circumstances.

Yeah notice he didn't say anything about dribbling.

And you notice I didn't say he was doing any dribbling in the Orlando game...

In fact, I said that game was the game where he was finally the player everyone expected him to be(but never had been before in his career).

Spot up shooter who hustles on D...

Please point me to where Barry was dribbling the ball up the court. In either of the last two games. The one time he got the ball in the backcourt he stood still until someone came to get the ball.

Please point toward proof.

Thanks.

You have some stict purist and narrow definition of playing hte point or something...but guess what? He did do that tonight, at least once...and like I said earlier...even Bruce actually did it once tonight. No shit...bad night to ask for that example.

ShoogarBear
11-24-2007, 03:52 AM
I agree that Barry's not afraid to shoot and prefers to make plays for others, but that bit about his dad and not wanting to be like him is way out in left field and very Oliver Stone-esque.I can't believe that you are even trying to argue with Brent's mom about this.

ShoogarBear
11-24-2007, 03:55 AM
The game was basically over when Marc Iavaroni, head coach of the Grizzlies, started the game with Rudy Gay on Tim Duncan. How Iavaroni thought Gay, a small forward, was going to guard Duncan I don't know. Then again, when your previous job was the defensive coordinator of the Phoenix Suns, we probably shouldn't expect too much out of him.

I wrote in the game blog that at least Iavaroni has got them not playing defense and not rebounding just like The Master would.

Spurs Brazil
11-24-2007, 08:03 AM
The game was basically over when Marc Iavaroni, head coach of the Grizzlies, started the game with Rudy Gay on Tim Duncan. How Iavaroni thought Gay, a small forward, was going to guard Duncan I don't know. Then again, when your previous job was the defensive coordinator of the Phoenix Suns, we probably shouldn't expect too much out of him
:lol True

Capt Bringdown
11-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Back to the game, that 3-quarter court bounce-pass that Duncan threw was a thing of beauty. Sa-wheat!

Obstructed_View
11-24-2007, 08:43 AM
There was some speculation that Iavaroni was the brains behind the Suns. If that's true, then Phoenix is in deep shit.

MONTENEGRINO
11-24-2007, 09:25 AM
@timvp:
Dude, you're good... you are really good...

loveforthegame
11-24-2007, 11:30 AM
My only concern with starting Barry over Finley is the scoring off the bench. Ginobli is a given and Barry has really matched his energy and is shooting lights out. That's a nice a punch off the bench.

With Udoka struggling on both ends I'm not sure Pop is willing to give him a chance at starting just yet.

BeerIsGood!
11-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Theres no reason to start Barry right now. Barry is playing good ball off the bench and the starting lineup is the TD and TP show anyway. Finley fits well in that role when he makes a couple of shots.

That Barry article was interesting, but nowhere did it say he isn't a chucked solely because of his dad. He just said he doesn't chuck up shots like his dad used to, and with Barry's personality that could just be a wry little shot anyway.

whottt
11-24-2007, 03:14 PM
That Barry article was interesting, but nowhere did it say he isn't a chucked solely because of his dad. He just said he doesn't chuck up shots like his dad used to, and with Barry's personality that could just be a wry little shot anyway.

That wasn't what you said...what you said was that my suggestion was Oliver Stone-esque...and as you can see, there was ample reason for me to draw that conclusion. You are now saying...well there's no absolute proof...

Who's the one being Oliver Stone-esque now?

Don't tell me you're another lawyer?

Ultimately...my theory makes a hell of a lot more sense than saying, he's afraid to shoot or whatever. Like I said...not afraid against the 10-1 Magic but afraid against the 3-8 Grizz? That makes absolutely no sense. Not to mention the fact that his best games have come almost exclusively in big games.

Guy's old man had a bad rep and was disliked for being a selfish ball hog...

If you don't think a lot of kids try to separate themselves from their parents idelogically, by doing the exact opposite...you must have missed the 1960's...not to mention every other generation of youth. Especially when one of the parents was considered, "the bad guy", in the marriage.

JMarkJohns
11-24-2007, 03:18 PM
I just wanted to say after seeing the so-called highlights, that Duncan's bounce passes are incredably boring. I mean, where's the no-look? Where's the lob? I mean, sure, they led to layups, but fundamentally sound bounce passes = snoozeville.

No wonder your ratings suck!

Signed
Duh_Suns_Fanatic__

jman3000
11-24-2007, 03:22 PM
speaking of that bounce pass... that thing was about an inch from being kicked ... the accuracy of that fucker was amazing.

JMarkJohns
11-24-2007, 03:29 PM
speaking of that bounce pass... that thing was about an inch from being kicked ... the accuracy of that fucker was amazing.

:sleep

I, of course, am just teasing, as I loved the bounce passes. They were amazing. Both of them. The one to Barry to start the break was exceptional, and the one to Parker in the half-court set was one of the best half-court passes I've seen in a while.

BeerIsGood!
11-24-2007, 03:49 PM
I never said Barry was scared to shoot, I said the opposite. Im sure Brent had the normal adolescent desires to create his own identity, but the man is about 16 years past the end of all of that. His NBA game developed as a result of his own unique personality and the coaching he received along the way, not a diabolical plan to be the exact opposite as his father. I'll give you that his dealings with his parents played a role in shaping his personality, but thats not the exclusive reason why he likes to pass the ball and hesitates to shoot sometimes.

urunobili
11-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Bonner>Scola

smeagol
11-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Bonner's in the doghouse already? So much for him being our white horry.
At least he is > than Scola

Bruno
11-24-2007, 05:59 PM
:rolleyes
While saying that Spurs have made a mistake with Scola and that they should have gone after him instead of Bonner is a respectable opinion, you can't say anything to defend it.
Bonner is a three year nba vet, he has done a lot of good things in this league. You can't put aside these 3 years and call him the worst player in the league because he has had a bad start of the season.
It's way to soon to throw Bonner under the bus. Let's wait a couple of month to see what he will do. There are no reasons to think that he won't be at least as good as last year.

ShoogarBear
11-24-2007, 07:03 PM
There are no reasons to think that he won't be at least as good as last year.Well, that will certainly have Sequ turning cartwheels.

bdictjames
11-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Its like a play made by three playmakers. Such a beauty.

I guess what makes Nash alley-oops boring is that he does it all the time. You never know when exciting plays come from Timmy. :lol