PDA

View Full Version : Those who thought Grant Hill wasn't much of a signing...

The_Game
11-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Are idiots

the guy is balling. 15 points per game, 4 boards, 3 assists. 47% shooting.

he could be the x-factor in suns taking that step and winning the title.

Dalhoop
11-24-2007, 07:45 AM
... Or he could land wrong and be out the rest of the season. I love seeing Grant do well, but he is damaged goods.

sa_butta
11-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Lets see what his numbers are come playoff time, or if he will even be playing.

Obstructed_View
11-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Are idiots

^Excellent example of premature ejaculation. I don't think anybody thought Grant wasn't capable of putting up the above numbers through 12 games, particularly because he's in Phoenix. That system combined with D'Antoni playing him 35-40 minutes a night is going to give him decent stats. Most of us are predicting he won't make it through the season due to that minutes stat.

As a Spurs fan, wake me when he learns to play defense and I might be concerned about him in the playoffs. Oh wait, he'd get benched for playing defense. Nevermind.

mikeanthony21
11-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Are idiots

...and he is still a non-factor on defense like the rest of the Suns. I'll be surprised if he makes it through the season without some kind of injury.

BacktoBasics
11-24-2007, 09:48 AM
If they get 45 games out of this guy I would consider it a huge success. Its a long season and if he helps them win 5 or 6 games that could be the difference. Help is help and as of now he's contributing, even if he gets injured and can't finish the season that doesn't mean he didn't make a difference. Not only is he not the focus of the team but I highly doubt they expected him to play anywhere above 70 games for the season.

timvp
11-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Grant Hill is averaging more minutes than anyone on the Spurs. If his body holds up playing this many minutes, the Suns' trainers should win the Nobel Prize for medicine.

Either that or Hill was faking it all those years with the Magic and was just taking extended vacations to cash his check . . .

urunobili
11-24-2007, 10:00 AM
troll thread

ShoogarBear
11-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Grant Hill is averaging more minutes than anyone on the Spurs.Sig Material Of The Year

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Grant Hill is averaging more minutes than anyone on the Spurs.

That's just sad. Phoenix what are you doing??? At least give him around 5mins off.

Extra Stout
11-24-2007, 12:55 PM
If you take Jim Jackson's 2004-05 stats with the Suns, per 40 minutes, he scored 14 points on 44% shooting, with 6 rebounds and 4 assists.

:jack

Walter Craparita
11-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Phoenix Stats

We'll see how he does against Defense.

itzsoweezee
11-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Are idiots

:blah
hahahahah. wait till playoff time dumbass. the loss of kurt thomas is much worse than any benefit grant over the hill can provide.

thispego
11-24-2007, 01:29 PM
good thread the game :tu

PoleSmoking
11-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Suns are 11-2. Leading the league in scoring again, and playing well enough to jack-stomp lesser opponents on a nightly basis. We'll see how good they are when they play the Mavs and Spurs. Until then, all stats are meaningless. Let's all re-visit this subject after December 17th. Personally, I expect the Suns to come out with venom/anger/hatred/resentment/passion when they play the Spurs again for the first time. I expect the Spurs will perhaps get blown out in that game, and that the Suns will attempt to run up the score on them.

Just my prediction. Who knows what happens in the playoffs?

Jeremy
11-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Actually, it's Grant Hill's defense that has impressed the Suns the most.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't miss a game all year (pre-season, regular season, and playoffs).

PoleSmoking
11-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Actually, it's Grant Hill's defense that has impressed the Suns the most.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't miss a game all year (pre-season, regular season, and playoffs).

I agree. I don't know what all these people are talking about when the dog Grant Hill's defense. He's always been known as a well-rounded player who could play good defense as well as score and make plays. I don't understand why he's suddenly considered a defensive liability by Spurs fans just because he's on the Suns roster now. Kinda silly and biased. Spurs fans, "know thy enemy" rather than just talking smack about them. That is all ... nothing follows.

Jeremy
11-24-2007, 02:35 PM
And to those who thought Brian Skinner wasn't much of a signing:

He's the league's top shot-blocker (per 48 minutes). Link (http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Blocks.jsp?league=00&season=22007&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=3&splitDD=All%20Teams)

And he is 14th in rebounds per 48 minutes. Link (http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?league=00&season=22007&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=7&splitDD=All%20Teams)

Now if only D'antoni would play him more...

kskonn
11-24-2007, 02:38 PM
I agree. I don't know what all these people are talking about when the dog Grant Hill's defense. He's always been known as a well-rounded player who could play good defense as well as score and make plays. I don't understand why he's suddenly considered a defensive liability by Spurs fans just because he's on the Suns roster now. Kinda silly and biased. Spurs fans, "know thy enemy" rather than just talking smack about them. That is all ... nothing follows.

Anyone who goes to the suns often gets weaker on defense, their system is not based on defense. Anyone who comes to the spure usually looks like a better defender than at any other point in time during their carreer. it is not crazy to think he is a defensive liabilty with hill being slower than he used to be, playing heavy minutes, and playing on a offensive(not defensive) minded team.

Spurs Dynasty 21
11-24-2007, 02:51 PM
but the Suns still can't play D for shit, that's all that matters

they will always score, but and he's just taking shots away from other players on that team

JMarkJohns
11-24-2007, 03:02 PM
And to those who thought Brian Skinner wasn't much of a signing:

He's the league's top shot-blocker (per 48 minutes). Link (http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Blocks.jsp?league=00&season=22007&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=3&splitDD=All%20Teams)

And he is 14th in rebounds per 48 minutes. Link (http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?league=00&season=22007&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=7&splitDD=All%20Teams)

Now if only D'antoni would play him more...

I think the issues with most fans regarding Hill and Skinner was they figured D'Antoni would run Hill into the ground and bury Skinner on the bench. So far, 13 games in, I haven't seen anything to disagree with that stance. Hill has played great, but needs to play significantly fewer minutes early in this season, and Skinner has played great, but needs to play significantly more minutes throughout the season.

Unfortunately, I don't see D'Antoni giving in to reason.

PoleSmoking
11-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Anyone who goes to the suns often gets weaker on defense, their system is not based on defense. Anyone who comes to the spure usually looks like a better defender than at any other point in time during their carreer. it is not crazy to think he is a defensive liabilty with hill being slower than he used to be, playing heavy minutes, and playing on a offensive(not defensive) minded team.

Okay. It's not "crazy" to think it, but it's wrong nonetheless. Watch the games.

JMarkJohns
11-24-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't know if you can say that defensive impact has been there, but Hill has certainly put forth an all-out defensive effort in the past 13 games. Whether it maintains through 100 games is debateable, but as of now, I would say Hill has been a pleasant surprize on the defensive end.

PoleSmoking
11-24-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't know if you can say that defensive impact has been there, but Hill has certainly put forth an all-out defensive effort in the past 13 games. Whether it maintains through 100 games is debateable, but as of now, I would say Hill has been a pleasant surprize on the defensive end.

That was kinda my point. I didn't say Hill has been a defensive stalwart, but I'm bemused by those who want to say he's a liability simply because he's on the Suns roster now. He's never been considered a bad defender before, but suddenly just because he's on the Suns, he's a putrid defender? Really? I say that line of reasoning (not yours) is just blatant homerism on the part of Spurs & Mavs fans.

JMarkJohns
11-24-2007, 03:27 PM
No doubt. He's played hard on each end of the court, for 40 minutes a game. I doubt it can last without an eventual wearing down, but if his minutes can be scaled back to 32ish a night, then I think, barring injury, he should be better capable to sustain his energy and effort throughout the season(s).

He's been a great addition. Whether he remains such was the exception I believe most took to his signing. D'Antoni has never been one to avoid heavy minutes for his best players for fear of wear and tear or injury. In fact, he practically triple-god-dares the basketball gods to call down the thunder on his band of fun-n-gunners.

I'd say his dares haven't benefitted the Suns as of yet.

exstatic
11-24-2007, 03:54 PM
The bad thing about not playing Skinner much is that he will be expected to go 35-40 against Duncan, and he won't have the legs or endurance to do it.

JMarkJohns
11-24-2007, 04:00 PM
The bad thing about not playing Skinner much is that he will be expected to go 35-40 against Duncan, and he won't have the legs or endurance to do it.

You live, you learn, you ignore, you repeat the same mistakes that got you into trouble last season... That's D'Antoni's vicious circle.

Extra Stout
11-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Last year the Suns had a guy named Kurt Thomas who could guard Tim Duncan one-on-one. They got rid of him and got Grant Hill, who probably cannot guard Tim Duncan one-on-one.

So while they augmented their ability to run fast and play pretty in the regular season, they did nothing to increase their chances of getting by their nemesis. Instead, they went in the wrong direction.

They deserve to be mocked because their coach is so in love with himself and his "strategy" that he refuses to see the forest for the trees. The solution to every problem is "more scoring." That is why they won't win a title

JMarkJohns
11-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Last year the Suns had a guy named Kurt Thomas who could guard Tim Duncan one-on-one. They got rid of him and got Grant Hill, who probably cannot guard Tim Duncan one-on-one.

Nobody in this, or any other Grant Hill thread has even suggested Hill will attempt to defend Duncan. I've never even heard D'Antoni mention it.

Someone may have said it in jest, but it wasn't to be taken seriously.

As exstatic has pointed out, they have brought in Skinner for thr 30-minute per game assignment of Duncan. While it's reasonable to think that going from Thomas to Skinner is a step backwards, and that going from Thomas at 15 mpg to Skinner at 11 mpg is not learning from from previous inadequate experience, I wouldn't parade around and state that Hill's acquisition hurts the Suns defense because Hill can't defend Duncan. That simply won't be the case.

So while they augmented their ability to run fast and play pretty in the regular season, they did nothing to increase their chances of getting by their nemesis. Instead, they went in the wrong direction.

They deserve to be mocked because their coach is so in love with himself and his "strategy" that he refuses to see the forest for the trees. The solution to every problem is "more scoring." That is why they won't win a title

There's not much here I can take exception to or disagree with. I think they, again, can contend with the Spurs, but do feel they've weakened their chances to defeat them, so unless they get some luck in the playoffs, I'd agree that D'Antoni stratery won't amount to a Title as long as the Spurs are the Spurs.

sprrs
11-24-2007, 05:41 PM
#23 Quentin Richardson | GF

YR TM G GS MIN FG FG% 3P 3P% FT FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
04-05 Pho 79 78 35.9 5.2-13.2 .389 2.9-8.0 .358 1.7-2.3 .739 1.2 0.3 1.3 2.5 1.2 4.9 6.1 2.0 14.9

JMarkJohns
11-24-2007, 05:46 PM
#23 Quentin Richardson | GF

YR TM G GS MIN FG FG% 3P 3P% FT FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
04-05 Pho 79 78 35.9 5.2-13.2 .389 2.9-8.0 .358 1.7-2.3 .739 1.2 0.3 1.3 2.5 1.2 4.9 6.1 2.0 14.9

I don't get what you're arguing here.

That players can tend to have very good seasons with the Suns? Not even Phoenix fans would argue against that.

That Hill is a product of the Phoenix system? Last season's averages are pretty much the same per-minute rate, only this seasons MPG is greater than last season's MPG, thus the slight increase in statistical production.

That if your good in Phoenix you'll fail elsewhere? Richardson certainly hasn't played well after Phoenix, but Joe Johnson has. Hunter certainly hasn't played any worse.

Again, I'm just not catching on to the line of thought for the post, is all...

sprrs
11-24-2007, 05:57 PM
I don't get what you're arguing here.

That players can tend to have very good seasons with the Suns? Not even Phoenix fans would argue against that.

That Hill is a product of the Phoenix system? Last season's averages are pretty much the same per-minute rate, only this seasons MPG is greater than last season's MPG, thus the slight increase in statistical production.

That if your good in Phoenix you'll fail elsewhere? Richardson certainly hasn't played well after Phoenix, but Joe Johnson has. Hunter certainly hasn't played any worse.

Again, I'm just not catching on to the line of thought for the post, is all...

I'm just responding to the original post. He's having more or less the same impact as Quentin Richardson, at least statistically. I haven't seen all but maybe one or two Suns games, so I won't argue whether he's actually making a bigger impact, but statistically, calling him an X-factor doesn't make sense.

JMarkJohns
11-24-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm just responding to the original post. He's having more or less the same impact as Quentin Richardson, at least statistically. I haven't seen all but maybe one or two Suns games, so I won't argue whether he's actually making a bigger impact, but statistically, calling him an X-factor doesn't make sense.

And, as a seven-year statistician, I'll point to this as Exhibit A as to why statistics don't always tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Hill's ballhandling, leadership and savvy have been critical. Overused thus far, yes, but still absolutely critical, so yes, I can see him as an X-factor in the wing. Problem is, while his particular skills were absolutely needed, so were things he doesn't bring, like size, strength, box-out rebounding, shot-blocking and low-post offense. I won't blame Hill for failing to address such, because such is not his game. If Phoenix can get such without trading too much of its core, then perhaps they'll have their last needed X-factor in place for a Title run. Skinner has potential, but I don't see him being IT. Maybe part of IT, but not entirely IT.

Richardson and Hill may have similar ppg and rpg, but it's not always the destination, but the journey. I'll take Hill's journey to the similar end over Richardson's.

ShoogarBear
11-24-2007, 06:41 PM
The other big argument advanced for signing Hill was that, because of his ball handling skills, he would take pressure and--more importantly--minutes off of Steve Nash's year.

Well, so far his MPG trend is:

05-06 35:23
06-07 35:17
07-08 33:47

So, maybe playing Hill so many minutes has allowed them to give Nash 1-2 minutes of rest a night. But it also would indicate that if they cut Hill back to a more reasonable level, Nash will be right back where he always was in MPG.

Bottom line: I think Mike D'Antoni is the Mike Martz of the NBA.

Extra Stout
11-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Nobody in this, or any other Grant Hill thread has even suggested Hill will attempt to defend Duncan. I've never even heard D'Antoni mention it.

Someone may have said it in jest, but it wasn't to be taken seriously.
What they most need to get by the Spurs is a guy who can credibly guard Tim Duncan, so that he doesn't eat them alive, and so that Amare Stoudemire doesn't miss half the series in foul trouble. They had such a guy in Thomas, but because he doesn't make Dan Tony's bunghole feel all tingly running the floor, they ditched him. And what is their big offseason acquisition? Grant Hill! Whoopee! This would be like if the Spurs lost to Dallas this year, and responded by dumping Bruce Bowen and trading for Carlos Delfino.

As exstatic has pointed out, they have brought in Skinner for thr 30-minute per game assignment of Duncan. While it's reasonable to think that going from Thomas to Skinner is a step backwards, and that going from Thomas at 15 mpg to Skinner at 11 mpg is not learning from from previous inadequate experience, I wouldn't parade around and state that Hill's acquisition hurts the Suns defense because Hill can't defend Duncan. That simply won't be the case.
The Hill acquisition is like responding to the fact that the roof leaks and the toilet is broken by buying spinner rims for the SUV.

When Steve Nash looks back at his career, he will realize that 2003 was his best shot at a championship, and that Mike D'Antoni rather than Tim Duncan was the wall he could not get past.

sprrs
11-24-2007, 06:48 PM
And, as a seven-year statistician, I'll point to this as Exhibit A as to why statistics don't always tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Hill's ballhandling, leadership and savvy have been critical. Overused thus far, yes, but still absolutely critical, so yes, I can see him as an X-factor in the wing. Problem is, while his particular skills were absolutely needed, so were things he doesn't bring, like size, strength, box-out rebounding, shot-blocking and low-post offense. I won't blame Hill for failing to address such, because such is not his game. If Phoenix can get such without trading too much of its core, then perhaps they'll have their last needed X-factor in place for a Title run. Skinner has potential, but I don't see him being IT. Maybe part of IT, but not entirely IT.

Richardson and Hill may have similar ppg and rpg, but it's not always the destination, but the journey. I'll take Hill's journey to the similar end over Richardson's.

Point taken, and that's why I don't believe Hill's signing was a lateral move. My point was to the original post who was using stats to prove his greatness.

JMarkJohns
11-24-2007, 06:51 PM
The other big argument advanced for signing Hill was that, because of his ball handling skills, he would take pressure and--more importantly--minutes off of Steve Nash's year.

Well, so far his MPG trend is:

05-06 35:23
06-07 35:17
07-08 33:47

So, maybe playing Hill so many minutes has allowed them to give Nash 1-2 minutes of rest a night. But it also would indicate that if they cut Hill back to a more reasonable level, Nash will be right back where he always was in MPG.

Maybe he'll rotate the minutes? In November Nash gets the slight break in minutes, Hill gets the increase, but then in December Nash gets more minutes and Hill gets the break? I don't think he's this smart.

I'd still rather see Nash and Hill's minutes around 32 per game and Banks in there for the 10 minutes trimmed off the pair. It can be early in the game, when the game isn't at risk of being lost. There's zero reason Banks and Tucker can't see 10 mpg early to give Nash and Hill a break, with Skinner netting 15-to-25 minutes at random, instead of the 5-to-15 minutes he gets at random now.

Bottom line: I think Mike D'Antoni is the Mike Martz of the NBA.

Hmmm... (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2042172&highlight=Mike+Martz#post2042172 ) :)

ShoogarBear
11-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Hmmm... (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2042172&highlight=Mike+Martz#post2042172) :)There is no proof I was ever in that thread. :downspin:

JMarkJohns
11-24-2007, 06:58 PM
The Hill acquisition is like responding to the fact that the roof leaks and the toilet is broken by buying spinner rims for the SUV.

When Steve Nash looks back at his career, he will realize that 2003 was his best shot at a championship, and that Mike D'Antoni rather than Tim Duncan was the wall he could not get past.

That's not true. The Suns team desperately needed another wing ballhandler. DESPERATELY! Part of the Suns offensive issues with the Spurs has been San Antonio's ability to hastle Nash and force Amare to win the games. The Suns, even going back to 2004-05, have not had that healthy third ballhandler to take the pressure of Nash and Amare. Johnson could have been it in 2005, but his injury fucked with his percentages. The Spurs have been able to better focus on Nash and Amare, knowing no other Phoenix wing had the ability to generate offense from the perimeter.

I, however, have nothing good to say in defense of D'Antoni, so I cannot, or rather, will not argue that he's the ball and chain around the ankles of the Suns.

JMarkJohns
11-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Point taken, and that's why I don't believe Hill's signing was a lateral move. My point was to the original post who was using stats to prove his greatness.

Fair enough. I think I've commented on the initial post as well. It is certainly WAY too early to say whether Hill was a great signing (with sustained effort, production and health), good signing (reasonably sustained above), lateral signing (lack of effort due to injury/fatigue) or unfortunate bad signing (due to prolonged injury).

Stats can be effective, so I'm not saying your use wasn't, just that comparing Richardson to a player like Hill by statistical analysis will only ever tell you half the story because the latter does so many things that don't show up in the statistics.

JMarkJohns
11-24-2007, 07:05 PM
There is no proof I was ever in that thread. :downspin:

Then it just speaks to my posts' impact :spin :)

Vingianx
11-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Remember the playoffs are totally different where every shot counts and that every mistake is very costly, and where the season's wear shows on players....

da_suns_fan__
11-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Spurs fans can talk all the shit and mitigate Hill's presence all they want. I don't care.

Im just still in shock how he went from this old guy who couldn't hit a three to this unbelievably effective slasher/scorer/jump shooter in the span of about a week.

LMAO at anyone comparing him to Quentin Richardson. When someone makes an analogy like that, it makes you want to throw out anything and everything any Spurs fan will ever say because its so ridiculous.

Jealousy forum.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2007, 10:25 AM
I'll keep my comments about Hill to myself until playoff time.

Obstructed_View
11-25-2007, 10:28 AM
LMAO at anyone comparing him to Quentin Richardson. When someone makes an analogy like that, it makes you want to throw out anything and everything any Spurs fan will ever say because its so ridiculous.
Why? Stat-wise, he's identical to Q. Unless I've made yet another mistake in my math, Grant's played the equivalent of less than three seasons so far this century. If anything, he's evidence that you guys will chuck him aside, blame him for failures and minimize his contributions by this time next year.

Walter Craparita
11-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Jealousy forum.

Not quite.

Obstructed_View
11-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Not quite.
Yeah, when I heard the report that Grant picked the Suns because their practices were easier I sort of decided that we could do without him.

Extra Stout
11-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Spurs fans can talk all the shit and mitigate Hill's presence all they want. I don't care.

Im just still in shock how he went from this old guy who couldn't hit a three to this unbelievably effective slasher/scorer/jump shooter in the span of about a week.

Jealousy forum.
Yes we long for power rankings championships. They're better than the NBA championships.

da_suns_fan__
11-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Why? Stat-wise, he's identical to Q. Unless I've made yet another mistake in my math, Grant's played the equivalent of less than three seasons so far this century. If anything, he's evidence that you guys will chuck him aside, blame him for failures and minimize his contributions by this time next year.

Stat wise, he's identical to Q?

My God. This is what Im talking about.

Q averaged 14.9 pts on 35% shooting.

Grant Hill is averaging 15.2ponts on 47% shooting.

Q shot an AVERAGE of 8 three pointers a game.

Hill is shooting 2.7 three pointers a game.

Q shot free throws at a 73% rate.

Hill shoots 87% (and he gets to the line more).

Hill averages more assists.

Q averaged more rebounds.

Thats just statistics. Nevermind that Q was completely dependant on others for getting his shot off. He basicallly just camped out at the three point line. Hill is extremely effective at taking his man off the dribble and scoring off the fast break.

Hill is also light years ahead of Q defensively. He very effective at slapping balls away from big men when theyre down low.

I can't say enough good things about this guy. He's really impressed.

ShoogarBear
11-25-2007, 03:40 PM
I can't say enough good things about this guy. He's really impressed.Better say them now, because thanks to D'Antoni there won't be much to say in April.

Jeremy
12-02-2007, 09:35 PM
28 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals in 36 minutes.

OldDirtMcGirt
12-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Hill was playing like a man possessed at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Jeremy
12-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention that he singled-handedly won the game for the Suns in the early part of the fourth quarter, at least on the offensive side. Skinner's defense really helped, too.

da_suns_fan__
12-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't know how it happened.

He went from this old guy screwing up the chemistry to Nash's target of choice in the half court.

He is freaking MONEY from 15-17 feet out.

How many consecutive jumpers did he hit to start the fourth?

Budkin
12-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Bump this thread in february when he is out for the season again.

RonMexico
12-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Bump this thread in february when he is out for the season again.

Or when Duncan is.

Budkin
12-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Or when Duncan is.

MRI negative bitch! Poor Suns are going to lose to us again come playoff time.

RonMexico
12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I know - I have to pray for the uber disaster of Manu getting fouled and falling into TD, Parker, and Oberto and knocking them all out for the rest of the year.

Rip-Hamilton32
12-04-2007, 02:14 PM
I know - I have to pray for the uber disaster of Manu getting fouled and falling into TD, Parker, and Oberto and knocking them all out for the rest of the year.lol who cares about oberto

BonnerDynasty
12-04-2007, 02:34 PM
He'll quietly score 10 pts before the other team even knows he is suited up.

RonMexico
12-04-2007, 05:02 PM
lol who cares about oberto

He went 11-for-11 against the Suns in the first regular season matchup last year. I can't risk that kind of production again.

Extra Stout
12-04-2007, 05:06 PM
He went 11-for-11 against the Suns in the first regular season matchup last year. I can't risk that kind of production again.
Dude, you could probably go 4-8 against Amare.

PoleSmoking
12-04-2007, 08:26 PM
He's doing it again tonight against the Pacers. 12 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds and a steal, on 5-6 shooting. In the first half.

lefty
12-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Hill signing won't mean shit when Suns will lose to the Spurs in the 2008 playoffs

DubMcDub
12-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Hill signing won't mean shit when Suns will lose to the Spurs in the 2008 playoffs

Or when he a) suffers a season-ending injury or b) is worn out by the playoffs from the 35+ minutes a game all season on his old ass body.

RonMexico
12-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Dude, you could probably go 4-8 against Amare.

Yes, but Amare went for 42 tonight, which is probably what he'd get on me in the 1st qtr.

TheAuthority
12-05-2007, 12:45 AM
Bottom line: Grant Hill > Ime Udoka

... and that's coming from a Spurs fan.

BeerIsGood!
12-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Hill is a good signing, but it seems like their defense is worse than ever. Giving up 117 to the Pacers? That's what's going to kill them, whether or not Hill is on the court. You can't win 7 game series against the elite competition by trying to outscore people in a race to 120. The coaching staff in Pho is too tied to their style and can't see the forest through the trees.

PoleSmoking
12-05-2007, 01:21 AM
Bottom line: Grant Hill > Ime Udoka

... and that's coming from a Spurs fan.

Yeppers. No doubt about that. And what if he actually does play the whole season? Everyone assumes he'll break down at some point, but he's missed so many games over the years that he might have more in the tank than people expect. Less mileage, you know. Then again he could collapse into a formless mass in the middle of the court as every one of the bones in his body shatters simultaneously. It could happen.

ShoogarBear
12-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Yes, but Amare went for 42 tonight, which is probably what he'd get on me in the 1st qtr.Not if you knocked down Steve Nash early in the game.

ShoogarBear
12-05-2007, 01:25 AM
Hill is a good signing, but it seems like their defense is worse than ever. Giving up 117 to the Pacers? That's what's going to kill them, whether or not Hill is on the court. You can't win 7 game series against the elite competition by trying to outscore people in a race to 120. The coaching staff in Pho is too tied to their style and can't see the forest through the trees.Not that I'm defending the Suns' defense, but the Pacers are a different style of team under Jim O'Brien. Any day now, I'm expecting them to announce that they've traded for Antoine Walker.

PoleSmoking
12-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Hill is a good signing, but it seems like their defense is worse than ever. Giving up 117 to the Pacers? That's what's going to kill them, whether or not Hill is on the court. You can't win 7 game series against the elite competition by trying to outscore people in a race to 120. The coaching staff in Pho is too tied to their style and can't see the forest through the trees.

Uh, actually the Pacers were the 10th highest scoring team going into the game. Maybe higher now. It's no shame to give up those points. Especially since the Pacers have already dropped big points and hung losses on Dallas (111 points), Denver (113), Utah (117) & New Orleans (105) so far this season. I'm just sayin.

BonnerDynasty
12-05-2007, 01:50 AM
I can honestly say that I am not worried about the Suns at all this year.

BeerIsGood!
12-05-2007, 01:54 AM
Ok, let's run this down. Here's the Suns defense on the season - 99 to SEA, 119 to LAL, 92 to Cle, 83 to Cha, 105 to ATL, 101 to Mia, 96 to Orl, 102 to NYY (THE KNICKS!!), 102 to Chi, 105 to Hou, 98 to Sac, 111 to Sac, 94 to LAC, 129 to GS, 100 to Hou, 106 to Orl, 104 TO THE KNICKS!!!, and 117 to Ind.

See a trend? This team relies on the run and gun to out run people to 110 or 120, and that will get you absolutely nowhere in a series against the best. No frontcourt on defense, MVP is a complete defensive liability, it all adds up to the same old story for this team and they won't change. It's comical. It's not like this is just early season time to adjust the defense, they actually expect to win it all that way.

Really, who gives a fuck about the Pacers? They may be pushing the ball more and putting up decent offensive numbers against the shit teams of the EC, but they're still a nothing team going nowhere. The Suns are a high scoring team getting worse on defense.

PoleSmoking
12-05-2007, 02:08 AM
Ok, let's run this down. Here's the Suns defense on the season - 99 to SEA, 119 to LAL, 92 to Cle, 83 to Cha, 105 to ATL, 101 to Mia, 96 to Orl, 102 to NYY (THE KNICKS!!), 102 to Chi, 105 to Hou, 98 to Sac, 111 to Sac, 94 to LAC, 129 to GS, 100 to Hou, 106 to Orl, 104 TO THE KNICKS!!!, and 117 to Ind.

See a trend? This team relies on the run and gun to out run people to 110 or 120, and that will get you absolutely nowhere in a series against the best. No frontcourt on defense, MVP is a complete defensive liability, it all adds up to the same old story for this team and they won't change. It's comical. It's not like this is just early season time to adjust the defense, they actually expect to win it all that way.

Really, who gives a fuck about the Pacers? They may be pushing the ball more and putting up decent offensive numbers against the shit teams of the EC, but they're still a nothing team going nowhere. The Suns are a high scoring team getting worse on defense.

Fantastic. But what does that have to do with Grant Hill? And what do any of those other scores have to do with the fact that it's unremarkable that the Pacers dropped 117 on the Suns, since they're 10th in scoring and the Suns allow more possessions?

BeerIsGood!
12-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Fantastic. But what does that have to do with Grant Hill? And what do any of those other scores have to do with the fact that it's unremarkable that the Pacers dropped 117 on the Suns, since they're 10th in scoring and the Suns allow more possessions?

Grant Hill is atrocious on defense.

And my original point was that the Grant Hill signing was a good signing, but it will be moot because their defense is worse than ever. You need to quit using the scoring stats in your argument as those are easily skewed by the remarkably horrendous level of competition in the EC outside of the top 3 or maybe 4 teams. After Orlando, Boston, and Detroit there is nothing but possibly the Bulls if they decided on a decent way to put the ball in the hole. I will laugh at anyone who suggests the Pacers have the 10th best offense in the NBA.

BeerIsGood!
12-05-2007, 02:15 AM
The Pacers have played 3 really good games against Dallas, NO, and Utah. Other than that they haven't done jack shit other than put up 117 against the worst defense in the NBA.

Xylus
12-05-2007, 02:23 AM
Grant Hill has actually been pretty decent on the defensive end this year, so I'm not sure what games you've been watching...anyone who says Grant Hill has played atrocious defense this season is just spouting anti-Suns rhetoric. it's still Amare's defense that is worth being concerned over. Big men eat us alive every night.

Anyway, I'm not too worried right now. It's the beginning of the season, and teams almost never play the same in May as they do in November/December. Half of our core (Nash, Bell, Amare, Barbosa) have been dealing with lingering injuries that have hampered their performance, particularly on defense.

What I'm most worried about this regular season is D'Antoni's distribution of minutes. Can we fire this guy already?

BeerIsGood!
12-05-2007, 02:26 AM
Grant Hill has actually been pretty decent on the defensive end this year, so I'm not sure what games you've been watching...anyone who says Grant Hill has played atrocious defense this season is just spouting anti-Suns rhetoric. it's still Amare's defense that is worth being concerned over. Big men eat us alive every night.

Anyway, I'm not too worried right now. It's the beginning of the season, and teams almost never play the same in May as they do in November/December. Half of our core (Nash, Bell, Amare, Barbosa) have been dealing with lingering injuries that have hampered their performance, particularly on defense.

What I'm most worried about this regular season is D'Antoni's distribution of minutes. Can we fire this guy already?

Any old jackass from the Y standing next to Nash and Amare would look like a decent defender. Obviously you're not used to watching actual defense being played since it's been about 6 months since you've had a chance to witness it.

BeerIsGood!
12-05-2007, 02:27 AM
I take that back, this season Nash has added the "take out shin kick" to his defense.

mavs>spurs2
12-05-2007, 02:33 AM

The problem is that Amare is an offensive minded player, but playing him at center means you are relying on him to anchor the defense. I know he's listed 6'10'' or whatever, but he's really only about 6'9'' and thin at that. He's not really the typical big man with great help side shotblocking to anchor the defense.

Take the Mavs for instance. As bad as Dampier may suck, the Mavs are instantly 10 times better with him on the court as opposed to playing Nowitzki at center. Throw in the fact that you need a Tim Duncan type defender in the paint for when Nash gets blown by, and you have a problem. The Suns lack of a real center is what's hurting them more than anything.

UV Ray
12-05-2007, 02:44 AM
The problem is that Amare is an offensive minded player, but playing him at center means you are relying on him to anchor the defense. I know he's listed 6'10'' or whatever, but he's really only about 6'9'' and thin at that. He's not really the typical big man with great help side shotblocking to anchor the defense.

Take the Mavs for instance. As bad as Dampier may suck, the Mavs are instantly 10 times better with him on the court as opposed to playing Nowitzki at center. Throw in the fact that you need a Tim Duncan type defender in the paint for when Nash gets blown by, and you have a problem. The Suns lack of a real center is what's hurting them more than anything.

You are dead on.

ShoogarBear
12-05-2007, 02:46 AM
I'm convinced you could put Bill Russell on the Suns and D'Antoni wouldn't give him any minutes.

ShoogarBear
12-05-2007, 02:48 AM
(waiting for someone to say "well, yeah, he's 73 years old. . . ")

Xylus
12-05-2007, 03:01 AM

I completely agree with you, which is why I've been a proponent of starting Brian Skinner.

K-State Spur
12-05-2007, 03:10 AM
I'm convinced you could put Bill Russell on the Suns and D'Antoni wouldn't give him any minutes.

of course not. he can't shoot a 3 with 21 seconds left on the shot clock.

Supergirl
12-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Let's see if he's still standing in 2 months. Dude hasn't played a full season since 1812. He and T-Mac are co-presidents of the Could Be NBA Greats If They Could Stop Being Injured Long Enough.

Extra Stout
12-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Grant Hill Is A Very Nice Player Who Does Nothing To Solve The Suns' Biggest Weakness.

The Suns' Coach Stubbornly Refuses to Acknowledge That Interior Defense Matters, Even Though Their Nemesis Has The Greatest Power Forward of All Time, and A Point Guard Who Is The League's Best Finisher Around The Rim.

He Is Too Much In Love With Himself to Make The Necessary Adjustments. Rather, His Solution to Every Problem Is More Scoring.

Stargazer
12-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Any old jackass from the Y standing next to Nash and Amare would look like a decent defender. Obviously you're not used to watching actual defense being played since it's been about 6 months since you've had a chance to witness it.

As of right now, the Spurs and Suns have EXACTLY THE SAME defensive efficiency rating.

travis2
12-05-2007, 11:32 AM
As of right now, the Spurs and Suns have EXACTLY THE SAME defensive efficiency rating.

That's fine. But in terms of team defense, the Spurs' numbers will be going down as the season goes on. The Suns' won't, if history is any judge.

The defense wasn't THIS out of whack last season, but the Spurs definitely didn't start the season firing on all cylinders defensively.

BeerIsGood!
12-05-2007, 01:25 PM

Which is why I made a point to state that with the Suns this isn't some beginning of the year issue with getting the defense ready. This is how they play it in the playoffs. The Spurs will be right at the top defensively come April and you know it. I anticipated someone bringing this weak argument and made a statement early to avoid it, and you still did it anyway. Try reading the posts.

Sec24Row7
12-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Until Amare gets a brain transplant, he isn't going to be able to guard Duncan. Sadly... he is the only person on your team that had a chance.

Kurt Thomas was a KILLER last year and you let him go for what?

For an old Brent Barry?

Good Job.

da_suns_fan__
12-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Lot of wishful thinking in this thread from Spurs fans.

News flash: Brian Skinner is playing better than Kurt Thomas ever did.

I find myself trying to ignore how great Grant Hill is playing because Im worried he will eventually go down.

I can't believe what a steal he was. He's playing like a top 30 player in the league right now. Thank god he gave up on the three point shooting and just went to playing his game.

The on-court connection he has made with Nash in the last month is amazing.

Kerr for GM of the year?

travis2
12-05-2007, 01:49 PM
:lmao:lmao

Pass that shit down this way! :smokin

Extra Stout
12-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Skinner is so awesome that D'Antoni plays him 12 whole minutes per game!

PoleSmoking
12-05-2007, 02:55 PM
The Pacers have played 3 really good games against Dallas, NO, and Utah. Other than that they haven't done jack shit other than put up 117 against the worst defense in the NBA.

Dude, there's no way the Suns have the worst D in the NBA. That's a real stretch. And Grant doesn't play atrocious defense at all. He's been surprisingly solid on D so far. And just to clarify, nobody was saying the Pacers were the 10th best offense; it was only pointed out that they are averaging the 10th highest PPG, for whatever it's worth. So it's not surprising to see them put up 117 on an up-tempo team like the Suns, in my opinion.

Xylus
12-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Skinner is so awesome that D'Antoni plays him 12 whole minutes per game!
That's evidence of D'Antoni's ineptitude, not Skinner's.

PoleSmoking
12-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Grant Hill Is A Very Nice Player Who Does Nothing To Solve The Suns' Biggest Weakness.

The Suns' Coach Stubbornly Refuses to Acknowledge That Interior Defense Matters, Even Though Their Nemesis Has The Greatest Power Forward of All Time, and A Point Guard Who Is The League's Best Finisher Around The Rim.

He Is Too Much In Love With Himself to Make The Necessary Adjustments. Rather, His Solution to Every Problem Is More Scoring.

Was all of that the title of your post or something? What's with capitalizing every word? Hard on the eyes.

[giggle] ... I just said hard on ...

Findog
12-05-2007, 03:12 PM
That's evidence of D'Antoni's ineptitude, not Skinner's.

They're going to run into the same problem with Skinner that they had with Kurt Thomas. Kurt Thomas didn't play much during the regular season, since they didn't need him to beat Charlotte or Memphis. And the same is true with Skinner. But should they go up against San Antonio in the playoffs, Skinner will surely be summoned from the bench to play heavy minutes. I think that hurts their offense, since he won't have 30 minutes a night, 80 games a year, to develop chemistry with the starting lineup. At least Thomas consistently hit that mid-range jumper when the Spurs funneled the ball to him. And even so, the Suns offense was still slowed down and not as effective. I don't see Skinner being able to match what Thomas did.

Stargazer
12-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Which is why I made a point to state that with the Suns this isn't some beginning of the year issue with getting the defense ready. This is how they play it in the playoffs. The Spurs will be right at the top defensively come April and you know it. I anticipated someone bringing this weak argument and made a statement early to avoid it, and you still did it anyway. Try reading the posts.

Whatever. Pointing to past accomplishments when current performance doesn't support your argument is a little weak, but common and understandable. But insisting that the Suns defense is poor because you imagine that the Spurs D will improve sometime in the future whereas the Suns' D will not isn't any sort of argument at all.

At any rate, my point wasn't that the Spurs defense is no good -- of course it is. My point was that both the Suns and Spurs are in the top-10 NOW in defensive efficiency. Insisting that the Suns' defense is the worst in the league may be comforting to Spurs fans, but it simply isn't true anymore. Even in the Pacers game, the Pacers were held to just 43% from the field.

(By the way, the Spurs are currently number 1 in offensive efficiency. Kind of amusing, in a way.)

da_suns_fan__
12-05-2007, 10:23 PM
17 points, 9 assists and 4 rebounds.

O-Factor
12-05-2007, 10:39 PM

and 0 defense played....

PoleSmoking
12-06-2007, 01:15 AM
They're going to run into the same problem with Skinner that they had with Kurt Thomas. Kurt Thomas didn't play much during the regular season, since they didn't need him to beat Charlotte or Memphis. And the same is true with Skinner. But should they go up against San Antonio in the playoffs, Skinner will surely be summoned from the bench to play heavy minutes. I think that hurts their offense, since he won't have 30 minutes a night, 80 games a year, to develop chemistry with the starting lineup. At least Thomas consistently hit that mid-range jumper when the Spurs funneled the ball to him. And even so, the Suns offense was still slowed down and not as effective. I don't see Skinner being able to match what Thomas did.

Actually, Kurt Thomas never really found his shooting touch with the Suns, especially not last year. In fact, Thomas missed tons of games and never got integrated into the Suns rotation because of injuries. And he was injured in the playoffs too. Kurt Thomas never had any substantive impact for the Suns, and his importance has been greatly exaggerated. People talk about how the Suns will miss him against Duncan, but I seem to remember Thomas giving up huge numbers to Duncan in the playoffs. Skinner is just as good if not better for the Suns so far, because he fits the Suns' style better.

Stargazer
12-06-2007, 01:29 AM

And 3-5 from behind the line. If you throw out game 1, he's hitting above 35% (and climbing) for the season from 3. I don't know why this surprises anybody, either. He's always had a smooth shot. Why shouldn't he hit from 3 as well?

Xylus
12-06-2007, 02:56 AM
Grant Hill is a fucking stud.

BeerIsGood!
12-06-2007, 03:06 AM
Whatever. Pointing to past accomplishments when current performance doesn't support your argument is a little weak, but common and understandable. But insisting that the Suns defense is poor because you imagine that the Spurs D will improve sometime in the future whereas the Suns' D will not isn't any sort of argument at all.

At any rate, my point wasn't that the Spurs defense is no good -- of course it is. My point was that both the Suns and Spurs are in the top-10 NOW in defensive efficiency. Insisting that the Suns' defense is the worst in the league may be comforting to Spurs fans, but it simply isn't true anymore. Even in the Pacers game, the Pacers were held to just 43% from the field.

(By the way, the Spurs are currently number 1 in offensive efficiency. Kind of amusing, in a way.)

FG % is entertaining, but the whole point of defense is to keep the other team from scoring. The Suns can't do that when they need to, especially when they run up against a team that can keep them from scoring big.

Xylus
12-06-2007, 03:52 AM
A low FG% allowed implies that you kept the other team from scoring. The Suns and Spurs are currently tied in points allowed per 100 possessions, which means they're equally as effective as keeping the other team from scoring. This stat doesn't take into account the amount of offensive rebounds allowed, however.

Stargazer
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
A low FG% allowed implies that you kept the other team from scoring. The Suns and Spurs are currently tied in points allowed per 100 possessions, which means they're equally as effective as keeping the other team from scoring. This stat doesn't take into account the amount of offensive rebounds allowed, however.

I agree FG% doesn't take rebounds into account, but points per 100 possessions does, doesn't it? Or do they count an offensive rebound as a new possession, which would screw up the stats a bit.

I completely disagree with the above comment that implies that the Suns play decent defense but can't make the stop when it matters. The problem is exactly the opposite: the Suns can play very good defense in spurts when the game is on the line, but they tend to lose interest in defense in the middle of games and allow teams back into games.

RonMexico
12-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Suns need to get better on the defensive glass. They induce enough misses with their serviceable defense and fast pace, but they need to protect against 2nd shot opportunities and they'll be golden... basically another reason Skinner should be playing more than 12 mins per game.

Aggressive game out of Diaw last night... good to see. D'Antoni says he should get "starter minutes" so maybe he should play him more and give Hill, Nash, and Marion some rest.

At 29 MPG, Amare will be the only rested one for the playoffs... but that's cause he fouls too much.

Extra Stout
12-06-2007, 11:37 AM
I agree FG% doesn't take rebounds into account, but points per 100 possessions does, doesn't it? Or do they count an offensive rebound as a new possession, which would screw up the stats a bit.

I completely disagree with the above comment that implies that the Suns play decent defense but can't make the stop when it matters. The problem is exactly the opposite: the Suns can play very good defense in spurts when the game is on the line, but they tend to lose interest in defense in the middle of games and allow teams back into games.
The Suns always have been able to play defense in spurts against the NBA at-large. Even last year, they were mid-pack defensively, rather than terrible.

They have terrific individual defenders like Marion and Raja Bell. What they don't have, and won't ever have as long as D'Antoni is their coach, is a coherent team defensive scheme. This is what nails them in the playoffs.

Specifically against the Spurs, they're setting themselves up for failure. Their best offensive lineup has no chance even at slowing down Tim Duncan. Purportedly, Brian Skinner is their designated Duncan-stopper, but he's a below-average offensive player, and at 12 minutes a night, he's not going to be integrated into the team offense the way, say, a Fabricio Oberto is in San Antonio, so if Duncan is ripping up the Suns in a contentious fourth period, D'Antoni can't put Skinner in because he'll be such an offensive liability.

What does Grant Hill solve against the Spurs? What does Hill do to change the status quo of Parker and Ginobili running wild and free when playing the Suns?

The player the Suns needed to solve their matchup problems against San Antonio was a low-post presence who credibly could guard Tim Duncan, and who could provide a shot-blocking threat when Parker or Ginobili beat their man on the perimeter, without being such a liability on offense that D'Antoni won't play him.

They don't have that guy.

Extra Stout
12-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Oh, and the Spurs went through a defensive "lull" last year, too. That stopped in March when they shifted into their title-winning gear.

They like to run and score, but they also know from years of experience what it really takes to win a championship.

The Suns close their eyes and pretend it isn't true.

RonMexico
12-06-2007, 11:54 AM
They don't have that guy.

I deleted the rest for brevity. If Joe Johnson didn't bolt for a contract, the Suns would probably have had a Finals appearence by now.

Only thing Grant Hill adds is a midrange game and smart decisions from the SF position... things Joe could do. I don't know if he would take Bowen away from guarding Marion/Nash, which is what JJ did in the only game the Suns won in '05.

Interior defense remains relatively unchanged, but Skinner is a hard worker and would pour everything he's got into 30 minutes guarding Duncan. He's got a much better jumper than I thought he had, but I still don't think he's going to have the pick and roll skills with Nash that Thomas had. D'Antoni's best bet is to have Skinner and Amare on the floor at the same time to keep Stoudemire out of foul trouble.

batboy
12-06-2007, 05:13 PM
I deleted the rest for brevity. If Joe Johnson didn't bolt for a contract, the Suns would probably have had a Finals appearence by now.

Only thing Grant Hill adds is a midrange game and smart decisions from the SF position... things Joe could do. I don't know if he would take Bowen away from guarding Marion/Nash, which is what JJ did in the only game the Suns won in '05.

Watch JJ any this year?

Rummpd
12-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Suns - Thomas <<< Suns + Hill

Sublime for Suns fans to think otherwise. Marion by the way is also very over-rated as a defender, Raja Bell is ok but when was the last time Marion stopped a Spurs scorer? Answer never. Marion has historically choked against Spurs in playoffs and Suns should have packed him off by now.

Finally, get back to me in mid-season and lets see if Grant Hill holds up - would not bet the farm on that one.

RonMexico
12-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Watch JJ any this year?

Yeah - inconsistent. But when you have Anthony Johnson as your PG instead of Steve Nash, things get tougher.

He would have remained a great fit on the Suns instead of trying to get a max deal and becoming a 30-shot per night guy.

RonMexico
12-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Suns - Thomas <<< Suns + Hill

Sublime for Suns fans to think otherwise. Marion by the way is also very over-rated as a defender, Raja Bell is ok but when was the last time Marion stopped a Spurs scorer? Answer never. Marion has historically choked against Spurs in playoffs and Suns should have packed him off by now.

Finally, get back to me in mid-season and lets see if Grant Hill holds up - would not bet the farm on that one.

Answer - Game 2 v. Tony Parker, which is the only game he actually tried to play defense.

He just plays D now based on reputation and doesn't actually try.

ehz33satx
12-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Let's see first if he makes it through a whole NBA season unscathed before you start to anoint him the saviour of the Suns franchise.

da_suns_fan__
12-07-2007, 10:50 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=ArR.r8_bYqn_f1o3PVI9itWQvLYF?gid=200 7120727

18 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds against Washington.

ShoogarBear
12-07-2007, 11:15 PM
And 36 minutes in a game where they led by 24 going into the fourth.

Stargazer
12-08-2007, 01:08 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, when Hill suits up tomorrow, it will be the first time in years (ever?) that he's started more than 20 games in a row. I suppose you could read that either way.

I don't really get the obsession everyone has with player minutes and the Suns. I'm sure it's a good workout playing 36 whole minutes of a game and all, but it's not exactly grueling to run up and down the court for 36 minutes, rest for 48 hours, then do it again. Maybe for the really big guys it's hard on the knees, but for more normal players, I just don't see it. They're professional athletes, after all.

Anecdotes and opinions aside, does anyone have any actual evidence to suggest that playing longer minutes leads to more injuries or less energy for the playoffs?

Xylus
12-08-2007, 01:51 AM
I don't think the few extra minutes is as big a deal as these Spurs fans would like you to believe. I heard recently that the Suns practice a lot less than other teams, which has to make it easier to play 35 minutes a game as opposed to 33 minutes.

RonMexico
12-08-2007, 02:16 AM
I don't think the few extra minutes is as big a deal as these Spurs fans would like you to believe. I heard recently that the Suns practice a lot less than other teams, which has to make it easier to play 35 minutes a game as opposed to 33 minutes.

Tony Parker plays more minutes than Steve Nash. And they must be much harder minutes since Spurs fans will remind you that he plays defense.

Purple & Gold
12-08-2007, 02:42 AM

I wonder if that less practice helps their defense...

da_suns_fan__
12-08-2007, 04:53 PM
WASHINGTON - Tonight against the Timberwolves, Grant Hill will play his 21st straight game for the Suns. That might not sound like anything extraordinary. But for Hill, it will represent the longest regular-season run of health since he was a Detroit Piston eight years and a half-dozen surgeries ago.

Not only is Hill playing, but he’s playing at a level few thought they would see again. Over the last 13 games, Hill was averaging 18 points and shooting 57 percent from the floor. His 3-pointers are starting to drop (7-for-13 over the last five games) and his athleticism belies his 35-year-old birth certificate – injury history or not.

To watch Hill flash from the deep corner to the hoop on one dribble or race ahead of the pack on the fast break is becoming more and more common.

“There have been a few moments here lately when I said, 'Wow, that’s a move I haven’t made since Detroit.’ I can’t tell you how good that feels,” Hill said after collecting 18 points, eight assists and five rebounds in front of his dad, former NFL star Calvin Hill, and about a dozen other friends and family Friday night.

Hill grew up in nearby Reston and starred at South Lake High School before moving on to Duke and the NBA.

“I wanted to keep trying, keep coming back because I really felt like this was still there. And to play with players who are so talented, unselfish and enjoy playing together, with a guy like Steve (Nash) orchestrating … even if two or three guys are off on a given night, we have the firepower to keep going. I don’t know how teams go about preparing for that.”

Coach Mike D’Antoni feels having Hill around makes it that much harder for foes.

“He was an All-Star before he got hurt, I guess he shouldn’t be surprised that he’s playing at an All-Star level now that he’s healthy,” D’Antoni said. “He’s not 35, you know. He hasn’t played for years, he’s taken care of his body, he’s the first one in to work and he’s dedicated to his craft. He’s getting more comfortable showing us what he can do, and I think there is even more to come.”