PDA

View Full Version : A Double Triple-Double Occurs as the Warriors Defeat the Wizards

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Golden State 123, Washington 115

By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Sports Writer
November 23, 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Don't get Baron Davis wrong.

Of course he was excited about his first triple-double of the season. Of course he was thrilled his Golden State Warriors beat Washington 123-115 to end the Wizards' six-game winning streak.

Still, Davis knew something wasn't right Friday night: Gilbert Arenas wasn't there.

"It was great. It was just playoff atmosphere. The only person we were missing out there was Gilbert," Davis said. "That would have been it."

In a rare instance of double triple-doubles, Davis had 33 points, 15 assists and 11 rebounds to outdo Washington's Caron Butler, who finished with 26 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists.

They're the first pair of NBA opponents with double digits in three statistical categories in the same game since Orlando's Tracy McGrady and New Jersey's Jason Kidd did it on Feb. 23, 2003.

"The fans got their money's worth tonight, definitely," said Stephen Jackson, who scored 28 points, including 10 in a 2 1/2 -minute stretch of the third quarter and two key 3s in the fourth as the Warriors pulled away late.

"We're learning how to finish games," Jackson added. "That's a big plus we're going to need."

Butler, coming off a career-high 39-point effort Wednesday, did his best to keep Washington unbeaten without Arenas, its sidelined All-Star point guard. He had help, too: Antawn Jamison had 30 points and 12 rebounds, and rookie Nick Young scored a career-high 18.

Washington was 3-0 without Arenas, expected to miss at least three months after having left knee surgery Wednesday.

"This basketball team knows how to win without our super-duper-star," Butler said. "Myself and Antawn as the leaders on this team just got to continue to step it up and continue to pull out-of-body performances out of a lot of guys."

Davis' teammates have come to expect brilliant showings from him.

"Baron can do that every night as long as he keeps getting to the rack," said Al Harrington, back in the lineup after missing one game for personal reasons. "The more games he has like that, the more games we're going to win."

As Wizards coach Eddie Jordan put it: "Baron Davis controlled the game pretty much."

Actually, Jordan uttered that exact phrase twice in the span of a couple of minutes.

Davis already had his triple-double by midway through the third quarter, while Butler accomplished the first of his career 4 minutes into the fourth.

After Butler's 3-pointer as the shot clock expired tied it at 108 with 3 1/2 minutes left, Jackson came down and put Golden State ahead with a 3 of his own, then jawed a bit as he ran past the Wizards' bench.

Davis' jumper with 1:08 left put the visitors up 117-112, and his three-point play with 38 seconds to go made it 120-113.

Both of these teams are known far more for skill on offense than intensity on defense -- no one in the NBA allows more points per game than Golden State, which came in giving up 110.1.

So it should come as no surprise that Golden State and Washington both made 51 percent of their field-goal attempts. And the Warriors went 16-of-31 on 3-pointers.

"A lot of times, all you can do is put a hand up and hope they miss," Washington guard Antonio Daniels said.

Davis made it all go, and he took some inspiration from the NBA's active leader in triple-doubles.

"I made a conscious effort of trying to hit the boards a little bit more. I've been watching Jason Kidd a lot, and the way he rebounds, to me, is impeccable," said Davis, who only had one turnover. "He's always been one of the guys that I've always looked up to and I've admired his game and tried to pattern my game after."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2007112327&prov=ap

Cry Havoc
11-24-2007, 01:13 PM
I had both guys on my fantasy team. Score.

Purple & Gold
11-25-2007, 12:32 AM
Lamar for Caron or Jamison. Make it happen Mitch!!!

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2007, 12:33 AM
Shouldn't have traded Caron in the first place.

Purple & Gold
11-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Shouldn't have traded Caron in the first place.

It was Odom over Caron. Which wasn't horrible at the time. But who knew Odom would never progress as a player.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2007, 12:35 AM
It was Odom over Caron. Which wasn't horrible at the time. But who knew Odom would never progress as a player.
True dat.

JamStone
11-25-2007, 12:39 AM

What do you mean it was Odom over Caron? They had both and they didn't need to trade either.

Purple & Gold
11-25-2007, 12:44 AM
What do you mean it was Odom over Caron? They had both and they didn't need to trade either.

Caron was due for a big payday (which he got) and they weren't gonna pay Kobe, Caron, and Lamar all big money. If you're gonna give out big money to 3 players one of them has to be a big. At the time Caron was horrible on defense, something he's improved, but he still isn't a big. The Lakers gambled on Kwame and came up snake eyes. But they did take a chance. Looking back at it now, they should have traded Lamar instead, which would have netted them somebody better than Kwame.

JamStone
11-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Caron was due for a big payday (which he got) and they weren't gonna pay Kobe, Caron, and Lamar all big money. If you're gonna give out big money to 3 players one of them has to be a big. At the time Caron was horrible on defense, something he's improved, but he still isn't a big. The Lakers gambled on Kwame and came up snake eyes. But they did take a chance. Looking back at it now, they should have traded Lamar instead, which would have netted them somebody better than Kwame.

Caron got 5 years, $46 million from the Wizards.

That same summer (2006), the Lakers gave Radmanovic 5 years, $31 million. This past summer, the Lakers gave Luke Walton 6 years, $30 million and Brian Cook 3 years, $10.5 million. (At least the Lakers got rid of Cook's contract)

Hmmmmmm, Caron Butler for 5 years, $46 million or Radmanovic, Walton, and Cook for $71 million over the next 3-6 years.

My point, keep the fucking talent. If he's worth the money, then it's better paying a player that's worth it than throwing stupid money at scrubs.

Purple & Gold
11-25-2007, 01:11 AM

That same summer (2006), the Lakers gave Radmanovic 5 years, $31 million. This past summer, the Lakers gave Luke Walton 6 years, $30 million and Brian Cook 3 years, $10.5 million. (At least the Lakers got rid of Cook's contract)

Hmmmmmm, Caron Butler for 5 years, $46 million or Radmanovic, Walton, and Cook for $71 million over the next 3-6 years.

My point, keep the fucking talent. If he's worth the money, then it's better paying a player that's worth it than throwing stupid money at scrubs.

Caron has improved his game since then. He's much better now than he was with the Lakers. Is Caron's contract a good deal now? Yes, but at the time it wasn't because the Lakers where in desperate need of a center. While Kwame sucks at many things, one thing he does do is give the Lakers a defensive presence in the post. That's what the Lakers needed badly. And he was a former #1 pick and still young, so of course the "potential" word was still out there.

Caron is making a good amount more than all of those other players. The Radmanovic signing had me scratching my head as well, but he can also play the 4 and even the 5 when the Lakers go small. Walton is actually a pretty good player and earns his paycheck. Cook is gone, but he was making nowhere near what is considered big money. Caron is stuck at the 2 or 3 nothing more. He was a luxury that we couldn't afford. It would be nice to keep him, but there was no way they were gonna pay 3 perimeter players big money, while having no bigs at all. It was between him and Odom.

You can't always keep the talent. You have to actually balance out a roster. Especially in today's CBA. Ask the Wizards how their big 3 are doing in a weaker Eastern Conference.

JamStone
11-25-2007, 01:20 AM
You're dishing out Laker company line bullshit. If it was about being fiscally responsible for the Lakers and Kupchak and choosing Odom over Butler, then don't sign Radmanovic to the full MLE for five years. If the Lakers are going to be well over the salary cap anyway with these other moves, it wasn't about not being able to afford Caron. The Lakers continue to add stupid salaries on their payroll. They added Derek Fisher over the summer. Trading Caron Butler did not have to be done. And, there's no real way to justify it. It was a stupid move. And, that move did not help balance out the roster. How the Wizards are doing as a team has nothing to do with the fact that trading Caron Butler for Kwame Brown was beyond idiotic, and even more so by the stupid money the Lakers dished out to other players when they could have had Caron Butler instead.

Purple & Gold
11-25-2007, 01:33 AM
Please... It had everything to do with it. The Lakers didn't even make the playoffs when Caron was there. Yes the coaching changes had something to do with it, but he was a defensive liability. Not so much anymore. He has improved his game. And Radmanovic is better than you think. Fisher was a Kobe signing. We needed a leader because Kobe wasn't filling that role. Fisher did have a very nice playoff run last year and fills that leadership role for the Lakers now.

I'm not saying it was a good move. What I'm saying is that either Odom or Caron was going to get moved. The Lakers just chose the wrong one to trade.

And it does have everything to do with how the Wizards are doing as a team. Their team is flawed because they are all perimeter orientated. There is no way you can win if all your players are guards and small forwards. It's a flawed lineup and the proof is in teams like the Wizards and New Jersey that aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Kidd, Carter, Jefferson and Arenas, Butler, Jamison are not that much different than Kobe, Caron, Odom. While the Lakers big 3 would be a bit better, it's nullified by having to go through Western Conference teams in the playoffs. It's still a big mans game and will probably always be.

jman3000
11-25-2007, 02:51 AM

it was already his 5th or 6th year in the league when he came to the lakers... he was a finished product when yall got him IMO.

Medvedenko
11-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Yeah, the trade for Kwame over Caron was sad....we meant to start Kwame at the 4 and put Lamar at the 3....well, Kwame can't play the 4 worth shit....so we had to put him @ centre. :(

1Parker1
11-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Butler is very underrated as an NBA player.

Here's a question: Which player would you rather have on your team: Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, or Shawn Marion??

Personally, I like Butler. Lamar is injury prone and very inconsistent, Marion is a known whiner when he's unhappy and I don't think he can create his own shot as easily as Butler. Add to it that I think Butler is a much better passer and better team player, I think he has the better all around game out of those three players.

bdictjames
11-25-2007, 08:59 PM

Here's a question: Which player would you rather have on your team: Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, or Shawn Marion??

Personally, I like Butler. Lamar is injury prone and very inconsistent, Marion is a known whiner when he's unhappy and I don't think he can create his own shot as easily as Butler. Add to it that I think Butler is a much better passer and better team player, I think he has the better all around game out of those three players.
I'd rather have Marion.

Great on defense, and can run. That's if Im on a run-and-gun team.

Yeah, Butler's quite underrated, I was quite mad when they chose him with the All-Star team last year but I realized that selection wasn't bad.

dallaskd
11-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Id take Butler

jman3000
11-26-2007, 01:52 AM
tinsley was an assist away from matching lebrons triple double tonight.

Purple & Gold
11-28-2007, 02:00 AM
Taking contracts into account, I'd have to say Butler. But just overall game, I'd take Marion. His defense sways it in his favor.

Purple & Gold
11-28-2007, 02:02 AM
it was already his 5th or 6th year in the league when he came to the lakers... he was a finished product when yall got him IMO.

Yeah we should have known better. But not only didn't he improve, he actually regressed. He was much better in Miami. Now he's as inconsistent as they come. But he would do much better on a fast break team.

dubsball
11-28-2007, 02:04 AM
None of them, I'd take Baron anyday, with Stephen Jack by his side and Nellie calling the (occassional) shots. LOL. Then again, we did beat the Suns yesterday with a 5 guard lineup so, whatever.

Purple & Gold
11-28-2007, 02:08 AM
None of them, I'd take Baron anyday, with Stephen Jack by his side and Nellie calling the (occassional) shots. LOL. Then again, we did beat the Suns yesterday with a 5 guard lineup so, whatever.

Other than Dallas and the Suns. Not too many teams you can beat with a 5 guard lineup.

I did see that game though and it was great how they just took it to Nash everytime. :lol :lol

dubsball
11-28-2007, 02:14 AM
Well Nash is great for the 8 minutes he plays each game now, the rest he spends laying on his back. LOL. Baron calls him Nasty Nash, I wonder if that's why...

Purple & Gold
11-28-2007, 02:34 AM
Well Nash is great for the 8 minutes he plays each game now, the rest he spends laying on his back. LOL. Baron calls him Nasty Nash, I wonder if that's why...

:lol :lol

ShoogarBear
11-28-2007, 03:43 AM

Personally, I like Butler. Lamar is injury prone and very inconsistent, Marion is a known whiner when he's unhappy and I don't think he can create his own shot as easily as Butler. Add to it that I think Butler is a much better passer and better team player, I think he has the better all around game out of those three players.I'd take Butler over Marion if only because you don't have to babysit his attitude.

timvp
11-28-2007, 04:18 AM
JamStone laid some serious ownage in this thread.

Purple & Gold
11-29-2007, 10:31 AM
JamStone laid some serious ownage in this thread.

You really think so?? :wtf

No way you pay 3 perimeter players big money. They took a chance and crapped out. But they took a chance on a former #1 pick big. Looking back at it now of course it's a bad trade, but one of the 100 SF's had to be moved. It should have been Lamar though.

Let me ask you this. Kobe and Duncan aren't that much different in terms of who's a better player or not. While I think Duncan is a bit better, he is but not by much. If you traded Duncan for Kobe. How good do you think a trio of Parker, Ginobili, and Kobe would be? Do you think they could win it all or do you think they would be exposed as being charmin soft in the middle? Could that trio win a ring?

DarkReign
11-29-2007, 02:33 PM
You really think so?? :wtf

No way you pay 3 perimeter players big money.

NJ did. Though I wouldnt put Jefferson anywhere near this argument in terms of ability.

VC and Kidd with anything but the Human Crutch and NJ would have soared.

NBA Junkie
11-29-2007, 03:25 PM

For once, you and I agree on something. :lol

Purple & Gold
11-30-2007, 02:10 AM
NJ did. Though I wouldnt put Jefferson anywhere near this argument in terms of ability.

VC and Kidd with anything but the Human Crutch and NJ would have soared.

And what has NJ done?? They're also not doing anything soon neither.

Jefferson is as good as Odom (more consistent) and very close to Jamison.