PDA

View Full Version : More So Cal Wildfires ...

missmyzte
11-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Again in Malibu ...
There was one last week where I live. I was at work, my Finance Director came to my desk and said, "Did you know there is a fire?" He gave me the cross streets of where the fire was at, which are the exact cross streets of where I live. I took off pretty quick but thankfully there was no damage, the firefighters got it under control very fast.

Wildfire burning homes in Malibu
By ROBERT JABLON, Associated Press Writer
Originally published 08:21 a.m., November 24, 2007
Updated 09:47 a.m., November 24, 2007

MALIBU, Calif. (AP) -- A fast-moving wildfire destroyed about 20 homes and spread through the canyons and hills above Malibu today, forcing hundreds of residents to flee. No injuries were reported.

The blaze, feeding on brush and trees and driven by the dry Santa Ana wind, began shortly before 3:30 a.m. PST near Malibu Lake on state park land and burned roughly 1,500 acres in about five hours, said Los Angeles County fire Capt. Mike Brown.

Thirty five homes have been lost so far, said Insepctor Sam Padilla of the Los Angeles County Fire Dept.

"We have about 300 firefighters out there and it is zero per cent contained," he added.

The Ventura County Fire Department sent a strike team consisting of five engines to Malibu this morning to aid in firefighting efforts there.

American Red Cross has set up a shelter for fire victims at Agora High School, 28545 W. Driver Ave., Agoura Hills.

The Ventura County Chapter of the American Red Cross is on standby to give mutual aid if needed, said Monica Buckhout, director of emergency services for the Ventura chapter.

"Because of the winds, we've been on standby all week," she said.

About 200 homes in three communities were evacuated, Brown said. An evacuation center was set up at a local high school.

Officials at Pepperdine University told their students to move to a campus shelter as a precaution. However, the university was largely empty because of the holiday weekend.

"Prior to the Thanksgiving holiday I was told the weather conditions was Santa Ana winds and we all know what that means," said university spokesman Jerry Derloshon.

The blaze was blowing downhill toward the Pacific Ocean. It jumped Pacific Coast Highway, the main thoroughfare along the coast, spreading small spot fires.

About 500 firefighters were at work on the blaze, aided by 10 water-dropping helicopters, but had not contained any part of the fire by midmorning.

"We're at the mercy of the winds right now," Brown said.

Hundreds of firefighters had been placed on watch for the weekend as the Santa Ana wind returned to Southern California. Gusts up to 60 mph were reported in some mountain passes during the night.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2007/nov/24/wildfire-burning-homes-malibu/

ashbeeigh
11-24-2007, 01:01 PM
I was watching the weather channel earlier this morning and Jennifer Lopez, the weather girl, said the winds should start to die down later today. That's no compensation for any of the damage that's already been done, but my thoughts are with everyone with everyone out there again.

missmyzte
11-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Saw on the news that there is also a fire in San Diego county but all the fire coverage is geared towards Malibu so I'm having trouble finding that info.

duncan228
11-24-2007, 02:03 PM
We have "critical fire alert" conditions here in Orange County today because of the winds. I haven't heard of any fires yet.

missmyzte
11-24-2007, 02:16 PM
There was a woman on the news saying, "I saw the fire so I went over Minnie Driver's house and woke her up, then went to Matthew McCounaghy's house..."
Tells you the kind of neighbor this fire is in.

samikeyp
11-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Glad to hear you are ok....stay that way! :)

baseline bum
11-24-2007, 02:57 PM
There was a woman on the news saying, "I saw the fire so I went over Minnie Driver's house and woke her up, then went to Matthew McCounaghy's house..."
Tells you the kind of neighbor this fire is in.

I heard Flea (from RHCP) lost his house. :(

ShoogarBear
11-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Tells you the kind of neighbor this fire is in.Are you saying you live near Minnie Driver?

missmyzte
11-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Are you saying you live near Minnie Driver?
Define near ...