PDA

View Full Version : Official Texas A&M New Coach (thread)

johngateswhiteley
11-24-2007, 02:05 PM
i want:

1. Butch Davis
2. Mike Sherman
3. TT

dont' want:

1. chris petersen
2. any other mid major that hasn't proved himself

...i realize many here, including capt. shithead (whose comments about the A&M program are unbelievably off-base), have confused the A&M football program with a second tier job b/c of recent results. don't be ignorant...recruiting, facilities, and financial resources put A&M right near the top. its a great job for just about any coach...

leemajors
11-24-2007, 02:07 PM
greg davis.

johngateswhiteley
11-24-2007, 02:10 PM
greg davis.

didn't he just get locked up at t.u.?

samikeyp
11-24-2007, 02:22 PM
didn't he just get locked up at t.u.?

He should be locked up....in an underground cell and throw away the key.

TheTruth
11-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Should have hired Butch Davis a few years ago when you had a chance. TAMU would be a power right now.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-24-2007, 02:36 PM
www.coachfran.com

Holt's Cat
11-24-2007, 03:37 PM
i want:

1. Butch Davis

Reportedly agreed to an extension with UNC.

2. Mike Sherman

Not necessarily a bad idea. Would have to have a solid DC to go along with him. His name has been floating around a lot lately. Frankly I'd rather see his boss hired but that won't happen.

3. TT

All things considered, probably the biggest name A&M could draw. Big game coach who's coached an undefeated team within the last 5 years and has recruited and coached well in the SEC. The powers that be at A&M seem to like him a lot and the feeling seems to be mutual. He's probably at the top of the list right now.

Tedford's name is still making the rounds.

johngateswhiteley
11-24-2007, 03:42 PM
i heard that about Butch Davis as well, but i am hopeful. Davis would be a great great hire, imo.

RonMexico
11-24-2007, 05:13 PM
i want:

1. Butch Davis
2. Mike Sherman
3. TT

dont' want:

1. chris petersen

...i realize many here, including capt. shithead (whose comments about the A&M program are unbelievably off-base), have confused the A&M football program with a second tier job b/c of recent results. don't be ignorant...recruiting, facilities, and financial resources put A&M right near the top. its a great job for just about any coach...

At least OSU's basketball team is better... oh, wait...

Brutalis
11-24-2007, 05:31 PM
BD would be at Arkansas before he'd be at aTm. And is it a trend to always be searching for a coach of some kind?

Didn't you guys just fire a coach?

Jimcs50
11-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Rich Rodriguez

I will accept no other

j-6
11-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Rich Rodriguez

I will accept no other

I don't think he'll go. Why leave your alma mater when you've got them in the top ten consistently? He replaced the guy that coached him (Don Nehlen) fifteen years before when he retired.

I know it's a different sport, but when Momma called Bob Higgins this summer, he came.

Extra Stout
11-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Mike Sherman is likely.

K-State Spur
11-24-2007, 06:54 PM
I don't think he'll go. Why leave your alma mater when you've got them in the top ten consistently? He replaced the guy that coached him (Don Nehlen) fifteen years before when he retired.

I know it's a different sport, but when Momma called Bob Higgins this summer, he came.

Rich Rodriguez has the perfect situation where he's at. It's a lot like the Big 8 was back in the day for UNL and OU. He basically plays a 2 game schedule every year.

He's paid, he's loved, he's home. Not much reason for him to jump anywhere else.

johngateswhiteley
11-24-2007, 07:23 PM
BD would be at Arkansas before he'd be at aTm.

...you're dumb, seriously dumb.

j-6
11-24-2007, 10:14 PM
...you're dumb, seriously dumb.

Butch played for the Hogs 25 or so years ago and coached high school ball in Arkansas.

Holt's Cat
11-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Mike Sherman is likely.

That's the name with the most noise of late. If he could leave the Texans now then it would be an ok hire. Not flashy, but flashy isn't necessarily needed. He would cost less than Tuberville, so perhaps more $ would be available for solid OC and DC hires.

Horry For 3!
11-25-2007, 02:45 AM
i want:

1. Butch Davis
2. Mike Sherman
3. TT

dont' want:

1. chris petersen

Not necessarily. Whoever the coach is will have the battle out Texas, Oklahoma, LSU & others for the top Texas recruits and A&M isn't really a big name school for that. They will have decent recruting classes every now and then but not enough to make them a real good football team. It is going to be tough for the new coach, whoever they are.

j-6
11-25-2007, 03:21 AM
Not necessarily. Whoever the coach is will have the battle out Texas, Oklahoma, LSU & others for the top Texas recruits and A&M isn't really a big name school for that. They will have decent recruting classes every now and then but not enough to make them a real good football team. It is going to be tough for the new coach, whoever they are.

Don't be delusional. The Ags play in the largest stadium in the Big 12. They have one of the highest enrollments in the country, just a couple thousand less than Texas. There's 5 million people less than an hour and a half away to influence.

Holt's Cat
11-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Looks like it's Sherman (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5326778.html)

Doug Collins
11-25-2007, 11:18 AM
BD would be at Arkansas before he'd be at aTm. And is it a trend to always be searching for a coach of some kind?

Because we all know how much RAZORBACK NATION!!!! :elephant :elephant want to keep Nutt. Arkansas is in the same position as ATM just got new bball coach and will be looking for new football coach. Except U of A will have fired both their major men's sports coaches :spin

But I agree that Butch would go to Arkansas before ATM due to his long standing ties with the university and the state.

Ps The amount of post-LSU victory cocksucking going on this state (Arkansas) is ridiculous. I should've stayed in Texas. :drunk

scott
11-25-2007, 02:55 PM
A&M is a top tier program.

How big is the top tier again?

Jimcs50
11-25-2007, 05:48 PM
A&M is a top tier program.

How big is the top tier again?

top tier because they have the best facilities, one of the biggest fan bases and richest alumni, that is why.

how dense are you?

scott
11-25-2007, 06:20 PM
top tier because they have the best facilities, one of the biggest fan bases and richest alumni, that is why.

how dense are you?

Well, I guess that makes up for the decade long absence of conference titles, derth of Top 25 finishes and pathetic bowl record since the Regan administration.

scott
11-25-2007, 06:21 PM
What's the name of the trophy they give out for having the best facilities and richest alumni? I can't remember...

leemajors
11-25-2007, 06:22 PM

how dense are you?
top tier programs usually put out top ten teams. a&m has not done that in a long time. a good hire may get them going in that direction, but to say they're in the top tier is a huge stretch to any non-aggie.

FromWayDowntown
11-25-2007, 07:01 PM
I think hiring a coach in Aggieland is a more difficult task than hiring in a lot of other places. Regardless of the name of the replacement, it seems that the most exacting requirement is that such a person "get" the Aggie thing. Aggies might not understand why some outside of their circle don't "get" the whole Aggie thing, but having experienced it first-hand on Friday, I can certainly see that there might be any number of fully reasonable people who might find a lot of the traditions and specifics of Texas A&M to be a bit, um, peculiar. I have no problem with those who embrace all of the things that it means to be an Aggie; my point is that I can understand why some might not "get" the whole deal.

At that, I think A&M's coaching search should focus on someone who not only gets the Aggie thing but also can entice players with the possibility of being groomed for success in the NFL. I don't know, frankly, whether Fran's offense was more pro-friendly and just became an option attack as personnel shuffled through or whether Fran intentionally recruited kids who would fit into a modified veer sort of offense. Regardless, it's clear to me that the offense that exists in College Station as of Friday is not one that will entice high schoolers who aspire to be drafted into the NFL. The most immediate way for the Aggies to improve their lot in the recruiting battle that they've badly lost to UT, OU, and LSU (and many national powers) of late is to give great athletes a reason to choose A&M. Fran didn't do that with his offense.

I don't see any argument for saying that A&M is much more than a pretty good regional program at this point -- they're very much like Texas Tech, though with far greater resources than are present in Lubbock. The only way that will change is to have a few stellar recruiting classes and to win some significant, non-rivalry games against ranked teams in or out of the conference. It will be a daunting task to make that happen, but the resources available at A&M make it possible.

Holt's Cat
11-25-2007, 08:00 PM
A&M didn't seem to have a problem recruiting back in the late 80s/early 90s back when Slocum sent on quite a few into the NFL. Winning seems to help recruiting more than anything else.

As for what will make a successful hire, it doesn't really have that much to do with understanding traditions. At any school the HC has big money donors breathing down his neck and a fickle fanbase ready to run him out at the first sign that the team won't be winning the next 5 national titles. What makes a success is focusing on building a program, hiring good coordinators and letting them do their job, and sending a decent amount of players on to the NFL draft every year.

As for Fran, he seems to have done well in his career when the pressure was off. I think he will do well at his next destination (say SMU or Ole Miss) because there will be lower expectations and a fanbase content with having a winning season and becoming bowl eligible. Frankly what seemed to happen at A&M was that the pressure made him conservative. Also, he never found a good DC.

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2007, 09:40 PM
...some of you arguing A&M's recruiting is down or can't compete with ou and t.u. either don't follow recruiting or chose to ignore it. while A&M has been less than stellar in 2006 and 2007, they were exactly that in 2004, 2005, and 2008(?). you need to check up on your facts...A&M gets great players, the coaching staff choses to waste most of them.

...A&M is a great job, just waiting for a coach who wants to get paid and have great players. if it isn't a top 10 job its damn close.

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Looks like it's Sherman (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5326778.html)

i was susprised Davie did not get more attention for the job...but i guess he has. he wouldn't be a bad choice. although, some of you probably remember Sherman was the guy i wanted last year and i think he makes sense and would do a great job.

Holt's Cat
11-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Davie? Was Emory Bellard unavailable?

scott
11-25-2007, 10:07 PM

...A&M is a great job, just waiting for a coach who wants to get paid and have great players. if it isn't a top 10 job its damn close.

Alright, I went through and I figure all of the below to be hands down "better" jobs taking into account a number of things like prestige, facilities, resources, fan base, etc. So A&M would fall somewhere behind these, making it the 19th best job at best. A&M's lone national championship back before the advent of electricity wasn't taken into account.

Michigan
Ohio State
LSU
Tennessee
USC
Oklahoma
Texas
Florida State
Penn State
Notre Dame
Florida
Alabama
Nebraska
Auburn
Georgia
Oregon
California
Virginia Tech

It's a great job, but I wouldn't call it "top tier" as I'd reserve those for teams that can finish in Top 10-15 year in and year out as opposed to a 23 rank in 1999.

Holt's Cat
11-25-2007, 10:22 PM
So it's Top 20.

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2007, 10:23 PM
So A&M would fall somewhere behind these, making it the 19th best job at best.

Michigan
Ohio State
LSU
Tennessee
USC
Oklahoma
Texas
Florida State
Penn State
Notre Dame
Florida
Alabama
Nebraska
Auburn
Georgia
Oregon
California
Virginia Tech

It's a great job, but I wouldn't call it "top tier" as I'd reserve those for teams that can finish in Top 10-15 year in and year out as opposed to a 23 rank in 1999.

i think you miss the point, a lot more than just recent success goes into account when you talk about how great a program's coaching vacancy is....oh yeah, and notre dame sucks.

imo, the list is more like this...in order:

1. Southern Cal
2. Michigan
3. Florida
4. Ohio State
5. Oklahoma
6. t.u.
7. LSU
8. Nebraska
9. Notre Dame
10. Alabama
11. Georgia
12. Penn State
13. TEXAS A&M
14. Tennessee
15. Auburn
16. Virginia Tech
17. Florida State
18. Oregon
19. Cal

...this could actually be conservative for the Aggies, i think you are too caught up in their recent non-success. Cause the Aggs have more money and better facilities than even some of the 12 teams ahead of them in my rankings...but i tried to be unbiased. just b/c A&M has been inefficient with their resources...don't confuse that with not being a top program. don't be ignorant.

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2007, 10:30 PM
meanwhile...there is a whole section dedicated to A&M and Fran, plus much coverage of the A&M vacancy.

and SC!...lol.

scott
11-25-2007, 11:00 PM
i think you miss the point, a lot more than just recent success goes into account when you talk about how great a program's coaching vacancy is....oh yeah, and notre dame sucks.

imo, the list is more like this...in order:

1. Southern Cal
2. Michigan
3. Florida
4. Ohio State
5. Oklahoma
6. t.u.
7. LSU
8. Nebraska
9. Notre Dame
10. Alabama
11. Georgia
12. Penn State
13. TEXAS A&M
14. Tennessee
15. Auburn
16. Virginia Tech
17. Florida State
18. Oregon
19. Cal

...this could actually be conservative for the Aggies, i think you are too caught up in their recent non-success. Cause the Aggs have more money and better facilities than even some of the 12 teams ahead of them in my rankings...but i tried to be unbiased. just b/c A&M has been inefficient with their resources...don't confuse that with not being a top program. don't be ignorant.

I think 13-19 are all at least somewhat debatable with the exception of Tennessee. A&M isn't anywhere near that caliber of a program.

I'd still put A&M at 19, if not lower (I think they are around the caliber of Miami, Wisconsin, etc).

"Don't be ignorant" is funny considering you are second only to CaptainMike in terms of the biggest joke of this message board. That point aside, I still can't remember when they award the trophy for having nice facilities and rich alumni.

scott
11-25-2007, 11:02 PM
So it's Top 20.

Yeah, I'd say so... its a job with a lot of potential. But the 15-20 teams on that list aren't on the same level as those above it, hence why A&M is not a "top tier job".

We'll just say it is though, and folks like Jim and JWG can hold their breath waiting for theannouncment that Pete Carrol is coming with Stoops as DC and Spurrier as OC.

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I'd say so... its a job with a lot of potential. But the 15-20 teams on that list aren't on the same level as those above it, hence why A&M is not a "top tier job".

We'll just say it is though, and folks like Jim and JWG can hold their breath waiting for theannouncment that Pete Carrol is coming with Stoops as DC and Spurrier as OC.

why would i want Pete Carroll to leave SC?

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2007, 11:13 PM
I think 13-19 are all at least somewhat debatable with the exception of Tennessee. A&M isn't anywhere near that caliber of a program.

I'd still put A&M at 19, if not lower (I think they are around the caliber of Miami, Wisconsin, etc).

"Don't be ignorant" is funny considering you are second only to CaptainMike in terms of the biggest joke of this message board. That point aside, I still can't remember when they award the trophy for having nice facilities and rich alumni.

yawn.

RonMexico
11-25-2007, 11:31 PM
What's the name of the trophy they give out for having the best facilities and richest alumni? I can't remember...

You're a moron - A&M and UT split the lead in football revenue in nearly every major category.

RonMexico
11-25-2007, 11:32 PM
I recant what I said since you just called "CaptMike" an idiot.

RonMexico
11-25-2007, 11:34 PM

Coming from you, this is even funnier.

And, he actually resigned.

We didn't fire him and then claim Billy Gillispie was on a plane to College Station.

Doug Collins
11-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Coming from you, this is even funnier.

And, he actually resigned.

We didn't fire him and then claim Billy Gillispie was on a plane to College Station.

They should just hire D-Mac to be AD and football coach that way RAZORBACK NATION!!! can continue fellating him into eternity.

scott
11-26-2007, 08:07 AM
You're a moron - A&M and UT split the lead in football revenue in nearly every major category.

So does A&M have a big crystal football like UT does?

RonMexico
11-26-2007, 09:31 AM
So does A&M have a big crystal football like UT does?

Yes, it's called 1939

MajorMike
11-26-2007, 09:32 AM
If Texas A&M goes 4-4 in conference play, i won't post about the Aggies until the next CFB season starts.

never gonna happen forum...

RonMexico
11-26-2007, 09:36 AM
CaptMike brings up the past... again.

MajorMike
11-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Boy, that CaptMike guy is an idiot.

I don't think atm is going to be able to get a head coach from a top 25-35 football school.

Are there any old NFL coaches with atm ties? That seems to be the new trend; NFL coaches that couldn't hack it going back to their schools.

That is where atm's coach will most likely come from.

TheTruth
11-26-2007, 10:11 AM
SHEEERMMMAAAN!!!! (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3127846)

Brutalis
11-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Go ahead and make the coaching search thread for next year too. At this rate why stop now.

RonMexico
11-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Go ahead and make the coaching search thread for next year too. At this rate why stop now.

The hypocritical humor continues.

I'd count the number of "Fire Nutt!" "Fire Broyles" "Fire [insert latest basketball coach here]!" threads you have created, but I don't think you can count that high.

Brutalis
11-26-2007, 01:55 PM
You only make sense to yourself. Make a point that relates to me otherwise shutup. Whatever subject you speak of pertains to another person apparently. If not then you pay zero attention to my posts or my history here. Keep posting and see how many others tell you the same.

RonMexico
11-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Your history here?

Nearly every thread you've created over the past year has been about getting rid of Nutt, Broyles, Billy Gillispie being on a plane to visit your sorry basketball program, and tell Mitch Mustain to cry to his mommy.

IcemanCometh
11-26-2007, 05:55 PM
The aggies got another savior, I guess we'll all have to get our licks in while we can again.