PDA

View Full Version : Mavs @ Bucks Game Thread!!

BUMP
11-24-2007, 08:31 PM
ALRIGHT MAV FANS, CAN YOU FEEL IT??!! OUR BOYS ARE TRYING TO BOUNCE BACK FROM A HEARTBREAKING GAME TO INDIANA. THE BUCKS HAVE NO CHANCE TONIGHT! MAVS WILL COME OUT FIRING ON ALL CYLINDERS AND THEN CONTINUE ON FUMES! THERE IS NO STOPPING THE BIG BLUE MACHINE TONIGHT!!! PEOPLE IN MILWAUKEE SHOULD WATCH CSI: MIAMI, THE FOOTBALL GAME, OR GO BUY YOUR CHEESE HEADS FOR NEXT WEEKS GAME! JUST LOOKING AT THOSE UGLY THINGS MAKES ME WANT TO VOMIT, EAT MY VOMIT AND THEN VOMIT AGAIN!

PONKY, MONOSLAB, DIRK NOWITSKI, U2SARAJEVO, STRETCH, MABBER, FINDOG, JASON TERRY, AND ALL OTHER MAV FANS THAT I LEFT OUT START THE CELEBRATION BECAUSE IT IS ONLY 3 MORE HOURS UNTIL THIS VICTORY IS CONFIRMED!!! :clap :clap :elephant :elephant LETS GO MAVS!!!! :elephant :elephant :elephant :clap :clap :clap LETS GO MAVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap :clap :elephant :elephant :clap :clap :elephant :elephant

lurker
11-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Great Dirk impression, man.

Cry Havoc
11-24-2007, 08:55 PM
You guys need a few dancing pink elephants with the kind of post-presence you have.

mavsfan1000
11-24-2007, 09:45 PM
You guys need a few dancing pink elephants with the kind of post-presence you have.
Even though I'm a mavs fan I :lol on that one.

slayermin
11-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Uh, it's November.

SRJ
11-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Uh, it's November.

Exactly - it's Dallas' time to shine!

Findog
11-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Exactly - it's Dallas' time to shine!

You guys have a better record than we do. What ever happened to dipping your toes into the regular season?

boutons_
11-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Grizz + Wiz = 82 pts in the 4th qtr!

u2sarajevo
11-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Love the fake enthusiasm, however we are playing like garbage.

40% shooting. Nice. Bass and Howard came to play at least.

Findog
11-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Let's win these last three minutes. All I ask.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Bucks 88
Mavs 90
58.3 left
Let's go Dallas. Pull away with this W.

Warlord23
Flop by Devin Harris ... called for the foul .. priceless

Amuseddaysleeper
ouch

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Bucks 91
Mavs 90
41.3 left
:bang

Findog
11-24-2007, 11:24 PM
fat lady is clearing her throat

SpursFanFirst
11-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Let's go Dallas. Pull away with this W.

:wtf

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2007, 11:27 PM
:wtf
I'm a fan of Dallas as well. But you know, not as much as San Antonio.

SpursFanFirst
I'm a fan of Dallas as well. But you know, not as much as San Antonio.

ah...I didn't know.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Bucks 92
Dallas 87
33.7 left
:(

SpursFanFirst
11-24-2007, 11:28 PM
how much time is left? I know ESPN's site isn't correct with :33

edit: nevermind.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2007, 11:29 PM
how much time is left? I know ESPN's site isn't correct with :33
Yahoo reads 33.7 sec.

Findog
I say go for the quick two

Mr.Bottomtooth
Bucks 92
Dallas 90
26.3 left
:wow

Findog
Mil 93, Dal 90

26.3 seconds left, our ball

Findog
11-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Redd split free throws, it stays a one-possession game

Findog
11-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Terry with the quick two, they foul Redd with 21.1 seconds left

Mr.Bottomtooth
I'm gonna predict Dirk mans up and takes the 3 for the tie.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Well, nevermind....

Findog
11-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Game Over

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Damn.

SpursFanFirst
Game Over

Is it really? the scoreboard still shows time on it.

lurker
Are the Mavs only going to play hard against the Spurs this season?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2007, 11:34 PM
I want a failure pile in a sadness bowl:

http://blogs.webmd.com/healthy-recipe-doctor/uploaded_images/kfcbowl-meal-764007.jpg

:lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
Metaphorically, over.

Findog

I've been watching in real time.

jmard5
Bucks 97 - 95 Mavs. Final.

Lp26
11-24-2007, 11:36 PM
The Bucks are a good team. I've been watching them lately alot. Yi Jinilan is very good defensively. Who would've thought ?!

Mr.Bottomtooth
Record drops to 9-4.

jmard5

NBA.com usually is late. Use ESPN's Gamecast.

SpursFanFirst
Well, sorry, Mavs fans...

dirk4mvp
11-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Do the Bucks have any shitty Euro players? I'd hate to have to hear angel luv yip yap over this loss.

timvp
11-24-2007, 11:39 PM
:lol @ AJ

The Mavs play like the Spurs now. They don't give a crap in November, either (well, other than that game against the Spurs). After this game was over, they showed AJ and all he said was good game.

Last year AJ would have gone ballistic after such a loss. This strategy should help the Mavs be physically and mentally fresher at the end of the season. However, if I'm a Mavs fan I have wonder why Dirk plays so soft at the end of games . . .

u2sarajevo
11-24-2007, 11:39 PM
I swear the mavs board I frequent reminds me of you guys (Spurs fans) last year.

I try to tell them not to panic but you know they don't listen.

It's like pulling teeth.

No funeral.

dirk4mvp
11-24-2007, 11:40 PM

However, if I'm a Mavs fan I have wonder why Dirk plays so soft at the end of games . . .

Did you watch the end of the Rockets game Wednesday?

u2sarajevo
11-24-2007, 11:41 PM

The Mavs play like the Spurs now. They don't give a crap in November, either (well, other than that game against the Spurs). After this game was over, they showed AJ and all he said was good game.

Last year AJ would have gone ballistic after such a loss. This strategy should help the Mavs be physically and mentally fresher at the end of the season. However, if I'm a Mavs fan I have wonder why Dirk plays so soft at the end of games . . .Damn... can I recruit you over to a mavs board to try and talk some sense into them? Some of them are ready to trade Dirk. And I think, unlike mono, they are actually serious.

Unbelievable.

Warlord23
11-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Watched the full game ... Terry has balls ... Dirk Nowitzki on the other hand is a disgrace to the term "#1 option". Howard is their best offensive weapon easily.

I'm thinking Devin Harris is a good defender only when the opposing PG tries to outquick him (as Tony does). Any half-decent halfcourt PG can make him look average, as Mo Williams did today. Add to that the below average defense of Terry and Stackhouse, and that means good halfcourt-executing backcourts with shooting range can have a good day against them.

Milwauke exploited this to their advantage with Redd and Williams.

Bass is physical and decent in the low post. Juwan Howard is still a hack and Dampier a complete stiff. Bogut, who's a stiff himself, managed a very good game.

We all know that the Mavericks are built to beat the Spurs. The problem is how many other teams do they match up well with?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Do the Bucks have any shitty Euro players? I'd hate to have to hear angel luv yip yap over this loss.
They used to have Ersan Ilyasova, and she usually follows shitty Euros wherever they go, even if they end up at fuckin Jack-in-the-Box.

timvp
11-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Did you watch the end of the Rockets game Wednesday?Yeah, that was a vintage performance but tonight he was MIA. Although, with the Mavs in full Spurs-mode, it doesn't mean much.

AJ will let them coast until sometime around the All-Star break and then he'll build up the team so that it peaks during the playoffs and not during the regular season like it they did last year. It's a pretty good strategy ... and the Spurs can attest to.

:smokin

dirk4mvp
11-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Yeah, that was a vintage performance but tonight he was MIA. Although, with the Mavs in full Spurs-mode, it doesn't mean much.

AJ will let them coast until sometime around the All-Star break and then he'll build up the team so that it peaks during the playoffs and not during the regular season like it they did last year. It's a pretty good strategy ... and the Spurs can attest to.

:smokin

Let's (mavs fans) hope that strategy works out for the Mavs. :smokin
:elephant

Nashfan
11-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Where is all this great defense that some Mav fans claim their team has? :rolleyes You let the Bucks shoot 51%! Also you lose to the Pacers who are a under .500 team, what is up with the Mavs??

Now who was the poster that said the Mavs were the best team in the NBA right now? :lol

dirk4mvp
11-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Where is all this great defense that some Mav fans claim their team has? :rolleyes You let the Bucks shoot 51%! Also you lose to the Pacers who are a under .500 team, what is up with the Mavs??

Now who was the poster that said the Mavs were the best team in the NBA right now? :lol

This loss will surely stump the Mavs climb to the top of the power rankings!

Nashfan
11-24-2007, 11:51 PM
This loss will surely stump the Mavs climb to the top of the power rankings!

Sure will! :lol Like I told you in an earlier post, I could care less about power rankings right now. Still doesn't dispute the fact that the Mavs are playing horrible right now. :) Especially losing to two Leastern conference teams! :spin

mavs>spurs2
11-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Sure will! :lol Like I told you in an earlier post, I could care less about power rankings right now. Still doesn't dispute the fact that the Mavs are playing horrible right now. :) Especially losing to two Leastern conference teams! :spin

It's November
:stfu

dirk4mvp
11-24-2007, 11:52 PM

I'd rather them be playing bad now than in April/May :greedy

Nashfan
11-24-2007, 11:54 PM
It's November
:stfu

Ooh, tough guy! I'm scared! :lol

Nashfan
11-24-2007, 11:56 PM
I'd rather them be playing bad now than in April/May :greedy

I think you might want to rethink what you just posted. Who was still playing at that time last year? Not the Mavs, at least not for long. So that thinking doesn't work. :)

SpursIndonesia
11-24-2007, 11:59 PM
I watched the game live here, dang, Terry is deadly early this season from the downtown. Dirk is hitting his shot in the 4th after the rest, but somehow not trying much enough to beat Yi's defense. Harris is quick to the ball defensively, but too much flopping is not good. Dallas players are not really pumped for this November road game against eastern conf. opponent, it's pretty clear.

From the Bucks side, their twin towers line up can be deadly 2-3 yrs down the road, if their guards can adapt to inside-outside offense concept quickly, Bogut steps up his game, and Yi fulfills his potential. I love Yi's one on one defense, though he's clearly still lost most of the time in the team defense scheme. His two hand jam over Dirk & Diop is pretty nice too, showing quick first turning step & explosive finish at the basket. Overall, the Bucks have a nice potential to become a strong team in the east, if only they can play defense more consistently.

Pretty entertaining game overall, with the Bucks winning 5 straight games after 2-4 start. Dallas is pretty much sleepwalking throughout the game, but they're still a powerhouse whose pacing themselves more carefully this season.

ducks
11-25-2007, 12:07 AM
mavs might be tanking to take the pressure off
let the media pick another team to win it all dirk can not handle pressure

Purple & Gold
11-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Yi will be a Superstar.

ducks
11-25-2007, 12:10 AM
Yi will be a Superstar.
on the lakers? (when he is a fa)

Purple & Gold
11-25-2007, 12:12 AM
on the lakers? (when he is a fa)

Let's hope. Lamar Odom for Yi. Make it happen Mitch!! :smokin

Findog
11-25-2007, 12:14 AM
I think you might want to rethink what you just posted. Who was still playing at that time last year? Not the Mavs, at least not for long. So that thinking doesn't work. :)

Suns went one round further. Considering what they've done in the Nash part two era, their championship pedigree isn't better than ours.

u2sarajevo
11-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Sure will! :lol Like I told you in an earlier post, I could care less about power rankings right now. Still doesn't dispute the fact that the Mavs are playing horrible right now. :) Especially losing to two Leastern conference teams! :spinI see what you did there.... you added an L to Eastern making it Leastern!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

Like they are the lesser of the two Conferences right?

Wow. That is high humor.

wooooooooh boy.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-25-2007, 12:30 AM
:lol

Armando
11-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Bucks :sleep

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 12:39 AM
I see what you did there.... you added an L to Eastern making it Leastern!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

Like they are the lesser of the two Conferences right?

Wow. That is high humor.

wooooooooh boy.

Quite a few posters use that term to describe the Eastern conference. Nothing new about it. :)

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 12:43 AM
Suns went one round further. Considering what they've done in the Nash part two era, their championship pedigree isn't better than ours.

I realize the Suns only went one round further, Findog. Just giving that guy some of his own medicine. :) Seriously, what is wrong with the Mavs lately. They don't seem to be clicking very well as a team and are getting down by double digits in games and having to dig themselves out. I know it is early but they haven't had that tough of a schedule except for the game against the Spurs which they handled extremely well. What gives?

u2sarajevo
11-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Quite a few posters use that term to describe the Eastern conference. Nothing new about it. :)ahhhhhhh....

but OH so clever.

Armando
11-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Quite a few posters use that term to describe the Eastern conference. Nothing new about it. :)

Don't overlook the East. People get caught up in the Spurs/Mavs and Suns. But the East has some teams that can give the West trouble. Detroit you know will be there as well as Boston,Orlando and don't overlook Miami and Chicago. Just ask the Mavs fans about overlooking the East team in the Finals.

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 12:46 AM
ahhhhhhh....

but OH so clever.

Glad you like it, but I didn't invent the word. :lol

Dirk Nowitzki
11-25-2007, 12:52 AM
I am shocked we even stayed in the game. I expect us to get our asses kicked tonight. Meh unlike last year it took us our 13th game to lose our 4th of the year. I am not worried about the Champs especially the MVP Dirk! These guys are fighters with the heart of a champion! :clap :clap :clap

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 12:52 AM
Don't overlook the East. People get caught up in the Spurs/Mavs and Suns. But the East has some teams that can give the West trouble. Detroit you know will be there as well as Boston,Orlando and don't overlook Miami and Chicago. Just ask the Mavs fans about overlooking the East team in the Finals.

Oh, I'm not overlooking the Eastern conference, just having a little fun with that one poster. Honestly though I am not that impressed with Boston. I 've watched them a few times this year and they are just beating easy teams right now and just barely tonight against the Bobcats. If the Bobcats had not been so stupid on the inbounds pass they would have lost to them. Too many squeekers in my opinion. I want to see what they do against better teams first before I make a decision on them. I still don't think Miami is that good and for the life of me I don't know what happened to the Bulls since last year! They really need a low post player because all they have is jump shooters and that isn't going to get it done all the time. Yes, Detroit is still good and Orlando seems good but they got off to a good start last year and then fell apart. It is still too early to know about most teams right now.

mystargtr34
11-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Bestern Conference
Leasten Conference

How you like that u2sarajevo

Findog
11-25-2007, 12:54 AM
I realize the Suns only went one round further, Findog. Just giving that guy some of his own medicine. :) Seriously, what is wrong with the Mavs lately.

Not much. They're 9-4. On pace to win 55 games. They just lost a game that was their fourth in five nights. It's a long season.

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Not much. They're 9-4. On pace to win 55 games. They just lost a game that was their fourth in five nights. It's a long season.

Yeah, but they are getting down in games by double digits and having to work hard to win games. That is very unlike the Mavs of last year. They just seem really disjointed.

Armando
11-25-2007, 12:59 AM
Oh, I'm not overlooking the Eastern conference, just having a little fun with that one poster. Honestly though I am not that impressed with Boston. I 've watched them a few times this year and they are just beating easy teams right now and just barely tonight against the Bobcats. If the Bobcats had not been so stupid on the inbounds pass they would have lost to them. Too many squeekers in my opinion. I want to see what they do against better teams first before I make a decision on them. I still don't think Miami is that good and for the life of me I don't know what happened to the Bulls since last year! They really need a low post player because all they have is jump shooters and that isn't going to get it done all the time. Yes, Detroit is still good and Orlando seems good but they got off to a good start last year and then fell apart. It is still too early to know about most teams right now.

I know that Boston has not played an elite team but they can only play the schedule. Thier 8-0 record to start the season is impressive none the less.

u2sarajevo
11-25-2007, 01:00 AM
The biggest difference between last year and this year that I have noticed is that AJ isn't down the players throat every play... particularly Harris. Personally I think it's a good thing as I think AJ amped the team up throughout the year last year and when it came time to go to another level(playoffs) they didn't have it in them.

dirk4mvp
11-25-2007, 01:00 AM
I realize the Suns only went one round further, Findog. Just giving that guy some of his own medicine. :) Seriously, what is wrong with the Mavs lately. They don't seem to be clicking very well as a team and are getting down by double digits in games and having to dig themselves out. I know it is early but they haven't had that tough of a schedule except for the game against the Spurs which they handled extremely well. What gives?

Givin me some of my own medicine? Why, that's brilliant! Add that and the Leastern conference brilliance you thought of, some might claim you are a genius!

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:06 AM
Givin me some of my own medicine? Why, that's brilliant! Add that and the Leastern conference brilliance you thought of, some might claim you are a genius!

I understand you are mad that your team lost two in a row, but don't take your grumpiness out on me. :lol

spurspf
11-25-2007, 01:08 AM

Actually, AJ is just copying another Spurs thing. Usually the Spurs play like crap against the worst eastern teams.

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:08 AM
I know that Boston has not played an elite team but they can only play the schedule. Thier 8-0 record to start the season is impressive none the less.

This is true. Aren't they like 12 and 1 now? I just want to see how they play an elite team first before I make my decision on them.

Armando
11-25-2007, 01:11 AM

I think the 2 things Boston needs to do is,

1- Get Tony Allen going. He was playing well last season before the injury.

2- Get an experience point guard. Rondo is playing well but how will he handle the pressure in the playoffs? Damon Stoudemire?

Other then that I like thier bench. Posey,House,Davis and Pollard with his 6 fouls.

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:11 AM
The biggest difference between last year and this year that I have noticed is that AJ isn't down the players throat every play... particularly Harris. Personally I think it's a good thing as I think AJ amped the team up throughout the year last year and when it came time to go to another level(playoffs) they didn't have it in them.

Yeah, I have noticed that also. He better watch it though, he may give himself an ulcer keeping all that frustration inside. Kidding aside, maybe he is trying to take the pressure off the team as far as expectations go. If it works it is a brilliant plan. :)

dirk4mvp
11-25-2007, 01:13 AM
I understand you are mad that your team lost two in a row, but don't take your grumpiness out on me. :lol

You're right. 2 losses in a row is the end of the world. If only the Mavs were atop a power ranking or some guy claiming the mavs were close to being historically good or on hallowed ground would I feel a little bit better.

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:14 AM
I think the 2 things Boston needs to do is,

1- Get Tony Allen going. He was playing well last season before the injury.

2- Get an experience point guard. Rondo is playing well but how will he handle the pressure in the playoffs? Damon Stoudemire?

Other then that I like thier bench. Posey,House,Davis and Pollard with his 6 fouls.

Yeah, I think they need a more experienced point guard, especially as the year goes along. I'm not quite sure I agree about their bench, it seems the big three are playing a lot of minutes which could take its toll on them as the season goes on.

Findog
Yeah, but they are getting down in games by double digits and having to work hard to win games.

Yeah and they won two of those and were in a position to win the third. I don't really see what the big deal is. When Phoenix plays, a 20-point lead is never safe, no matter which team is ahead. You can look at it two ways: they are good enough to bear down and beat teams when they need to, and it's very hard to keep them down, or they are making things hard on themselves.

That is very unlike the Mavs of last year. They just seem really disjointed.

We were 9-4 at this point last year. I would say our biggest problems this year so far are threefold:

1) playing up (laid a beat-down on San Antonio) and down (road losses to Atlanta, Milwaukee and Indiana) to the competition.

2) Interior Defense is not that good with Dampier slowly working himself back from a shoulder injury. Laugh all you want at a guy who averages 7 and 7 for us, but he's a useful defender when 100%. He makes our interior D so much better.

3) Avery is trying to overhaul the offense from too much reliance on Dirk. He is being asked to be more of a facilitator and open things up for everybody else than take 25 shots a game. It's a response to the physical zone and blind-side double teams Golden State threw at us. Instead of him scoring 27 points and having 2 assists, Avery would rather have him go for 21 points and 5 assists. JET went to the bench so we could have a true PG starting.

Considering that we're not playing close to our best basketball right now, I'll gladly take 9-4. Basically it all comes down to getting a top-four seed, which shouldn't be a problem, avoiding Golden State, and avoiding Phoenix in the first two rounds. If we can do that, we'll have as good a shot as anybody.

Armando
This is true. Aren't they like 12 and 1 now? I just want to see how they play an elite team first before I make my decision on them.

12/19 - Detroit @ Boston

1/31 - Dallas @ Boston

2/10- Spurs @ Celtics

2/22 @Phoenix

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:16 AM
You're right. 2 losses in a row is the end of the world. If only the Mavs were atop a power ranking or some guy claiming the mavs were close to being historically good or on hallowed ground would I feel a little bit better.

You sure are uptight! :)

Findog
11-25-2007, 01:16 AM
Actually, AJ is just copying another Spurs thing. Usually the Spurs play like crap against the worst eastern teams.

Bucks were getting plenty of points in the paint tonight. They were not settling for jumpers. Our interior D has sucked so far this year, and it's because of Dampier slowly being worked back in because of his shoulder injury. I'm not about to argue that he's some elite Center or anything like that, but he's a big reason why our defense isn't shitty like in the Nellie years. Once he's back to 100%, teams won't be getting such easy looks from 8 feet in.

Armando
11-25-2007, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I think they need a more experienced point guard, especially as the year goes along. I'm not quite sure I agree about their bench, it seems the big three are playing a lot of minutes which could take its toll on them as the season goes on.

Posey is a good defender. He is a poor man's Bowen. He will be important for them in the playoffs when they have to deal with the Wades,Hamiltons or Rashard Lewis. I agree though that Rivers needs to rain in the minutes a little bit even if it means giving up some games.

ludda
11-25-2007, 01:19 AM
I think everyone expects the dominant regular season mavs of last year. I see a more chilled out Avery and a team that plays to the level of the competition. The question remains though if the whole pacing thing will work out for the mavs. Spurs are proven, but after last seasons failures, it makes sense that Avery is trying this. It didn't work for Detriot last season though, but I'm not sure of the specifics of that.

Findog
11-25-2007, 01:21 AM
And yeah, Dirk tonight played 33 minutes, Devin played 34, Jet played 24, Stack had 20 minutes. The only guy who logged heavy minutes was Josh with 40. Think the outcome might have been different if those guys had been on the floor a bit longer?

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:21 AM
Yeah and they won two of those and were in a position to win the third. I don't really see what the big deal is. When Phoenix plays, a 20-point lead is never safe, no matter which team is ahead. You can look at it two ways: they are good enough to bear down and beat teams when they need to, and it's very hard to keep them down, or they are making things hard on themselves.

We were 9-4 at this point last year. I would say our biggest problems this year so far are threefold:

1) playing up (laid a beat-down on San Antonio) and down (road losses to Atlanta, Milwaukee and Indiana) to the competition.

2) Interior Defense is not that good with Dampier slowly working himself back from a shoulder injury. Laugh all you want at a guy who averages 7 and 7 for us, but he's a useful defender when 100%. He makes our interior D so much better.

3) Avery is trying to overhaul the offense from too much reliance on Dirk. He is being asked to be more of a facilitator and open things up for everybody else than take 25 shots a game. It's a response to the physical zone and blind-side double teams Golden State threw at us. Instead of him scoring 27 points and having 2 assists, Avery would rather have him go for 21 points and 5 assists. JET went to the bench so we could have a true PG starting.

Considering that we're not playing close to our best basketball right now, I'll gladly take 9-4. Basically it all comes down to getting a top-four seed, which shouldn't be a problem, avoiding Golden State, and avoiding Phoenix in the first two rounds. If we can do that, we'll have as good a shot as anybody.

All good points Findog. For the record I am not taking the Mavs lightly. In one thread somebody said the Mavs were the best team in the NBA right now and I found that a little over the top as of now. :)

Armando
11-25-2007, 01:22 AM
I think everyone expects the dominant regular season mavs of last year. I see a more chilled out Avery and a team that plays to the level of the competition. The question remains though if the whole pacing thing will work out for the mavs. Spurs are proven, but after last seasons failures, it makes sense that Avery is trying this. It didn't work for Detriot last season though, but I'm not sure of the specifics of that.

Is a fine line to walk. You don't want the team to burn out but at the same time you just can't be giving games away.

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:22 AM
12/19 - Detroit @ Boston

1/31 - Dallas @ Boston

2/10- Spurs @ Celtics

2/22 @Phoenix

Yeah, I will be watching those games for sure to see how well Boston does.

Findog
11-25-2007, 01:24 AM

The Mavs just need to get a top-four seed. Everything the guys have said has been to the effect that they're not going to pull a Miami and assume they can just flip a switch when they need to. They understand the importance of winning regular season games. The Rockets won it all as a sixth seed in 95, the Knicks made the finals as an 8 seed in 99. Other than that, you need to have HCA for at least one round and get a top four seed. For all of the talk of the Spurs "coasting" last year, they still went 58-24. Most years that's good enough to get the 1 seed.

It would be nice to get the #1 seed, but if you're a title team, you don't need it. When we made it to the Finals, we clinched all three series on the road.

Armando
11-25-2007, 01:24 AM
And yeah, Dirk tonight played 33 minutes, Devin played 34, Jet played 24, Stack had 20 minutes. The only guy who logged heavy minutes was Josh with 40. Think the outcome might have been different if those guys had been on the floor a bit longer?

Relax the Mavs will be fine.

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:25 AM
Posey is a good defender. He is a poor man's Bowen. He will be important for them in the playoffs when they have to deal with the Wades,Hamiltons or Rashard Lewis. I agree though that Rivers needs to rain in the minutes a little bit even if it means giving up some games.

I like Posey and if he can hit the three regularly then it will open up things for them.

Armando
11-25-2007, 01:27 AM
I like Posey and if he can hit the three regularly then it will open up things for them.

He can be a difference maker for them. Haslem and Posey's defense on Dirk in the Finals is overlooked with how well Wade played. They held Dirk to 38% shooting.

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:28 AM

I don't think they should have to be on the floor that long to beat a team like the Bucks though. They should take care of business from the get go instead of letting it get down to the wire. I know I yell at the Suns a lot when they do that sort of thing. Frustrates the hell out of me when they just cruise along like they can just turn on a switch.

Findog
11-25-2007, 01:29 AM
All good points Findog. For the record I am not taking the Mavs lightly. In one thread somebody said the Mavs were the best team in the NBA right now and I found that a little over the top as of now. :)

"Best team in the NBA right now" means shit. Boston has the best record but they've had a light schedule and they're playing their Big 3 40 minutes a night each. I actually don't have a problem with that, because unlike Phoenix, San Antonio, Detroit, Dallas, they haven't ever played together before, so they need to develop some chemistry. But at some point, they'll need to scale minutes back. I haven't watched Phoenix at all this year, so the only thing I can say is that it looks like they're doing their usual thing, but looking at their schedule, they've played a bunch of cupcakes.

Last year I think both Phoenix and Dallas got suckered into trying to keep pace with each other. They both rattled off an insane stretch, both had 17-game winning streaks, both had an insane run like 31-3 or something like that. As I see it, the Mavs can't worry about what the Suns, Celtics or Spurs do when they don't play them. If they're taking care of their business, they'll have a top-four seed at the end of the year and as good a shot as anybody to come out of the West.

Findog
11-25-2007, 01:30 AM
I don't think they should have to be on the floor that long to beat a team like the Bucks though. They should take care of business from the get go instead of letting it get down to the wire. I know I yell at the Suns a lot when they do that sort of thing. Frustrates the hell out of me when they just cruise along like they can just turn on a switch.

Mavs were playing their fourth game in five nights, and I don't think the Bucks are going to be that bad this year. I think on a whole, the East has narrowed the gap somewhat this year.

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:32 AM
"Best team in the NBA right now" means shit. Boston has the best record but they've had a light schedule and they're playing their Big 3 40 minutes a night each. I actually don't have a problem with that, because unlike Phoenix, San Antonio, Detroit, Dallas, they haven't ever played together before, so they need to develop some chemistry. But at some point, they'll need to scale minutes back. I haven't watched Phoenix at all this year, so the only thing I can say is that it looks like they're doing their usual thing, but looking at their schedule, they've played a bunch of cupcakes.

Last year I think both Phoenix and Dallas got suckered into trying to keep pace with each other. They both rattled off an insane stretch, both had 17-game winning streaks, both had an insane run like 31-3 or something like that. As I see it, the Mavs can't worry about what the Suns, Celtics or Spurs do when they don't play them. If they're taking care of their business, they'll have a top-four seed at the end of the year and as good a shot as anybody to come out of the West.

The only tougher game the Mavs have had than the Suns is against the Spurs. Otherwise, they have had similar teams to play against.

Armando
11-25-2007, 01:33 AM

I agree with that. D'Antoni last season did mention something about trying to keep pace with the Mavs. That is why the Spurs win. They don't care what the Mavs,Celtics or Suns are doing. They go about thier business and people overlook them but when you look up they are holding the trophy.

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:35 AM
Mavs were playing their fourth game in five nights, and I don't think the Bucks are going to be that bad this year. I think on a whole, the East has narrowed the gap somewhat this year.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying about four games in five nights, but all teams have them. I could understand more if it was against tougher teams but it wasn't. I'm not sure what I think about the east this year. I have to watch a few more of their games first, which is hard to do because they can be so boring to watch at times, and with work it is hard to get time to watch all the teams play. :)

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:37 AM

This could be true, but I don't know if it will work for the Mavs, as the Spurs are use to doing this.

Findog
11-25-2007, 01:37 AM
The only tougher game the Mavs have had than the Suns is against the Spurs. Otherwise, they have had similar teams to play against.

I think what makes Phoenix such a great team in the regular season is that that style is so hard to prepare against. You're not used to playing a track-meet style and having to get back on defense in transition to prevent run-outs by Marion, or the Suns fastbreaking off a made basket, etc. Only a good defensive team with time to prepare can slow Phoenix down. And if you're on the second night of a b2b or it's your 4th game in 5 nights, Phoenix is the last team you want to play. Also, Phoenix is definitely better than 26 teams in the League for sure, so the only way they lose is if they're having an off-night.

Findog
11-25-2007, 01:40 AM
I agree with that. D'Antoni last season did mention something about trying to keep pace with the Mavs. That is why the Spurs win. They don't care what the Mavs,Celtics or Suns are doing. They go about thier business and people overlook them but when you look up they are holding the trophy.

Yeah, and where did going in fifth gear the entire regular season get the Suns and Mavs? Nothing but fool's gold.

Mavs have two pressing issues they need to solve before the playoffs: interior defense sucks right now, and trying to get a more balanced offensive approach. Dampier's return to 100% health will solve the former, and whether or not they can achieve the latter will determine how far they go in the playoffs.

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:44 AM
I think what makes Phoenix such a great team in the regular season is that that style is so hard to prepare against. You're not used to playing a track-meet style and having to get back on defense in transition to prevent run-outs by Marion, or the Suns fastbreaking off a made basket, etc. Only a good defensive team with time to prepare can slow Phoenix down. And if you're on the second night of a b2b or it's your 4th game in 5 nights, Phoenix is the last team you want to play. Also, Phoenix is definitely better than 26 teams in the League for sure, so the only way they lose is if they're having an off-night.

I suppose. I have my reservations about how this Suns team will do this year. I would really like to have another big man since Amare gets in so much foul trouble and another real point guard would be nice to help with Nash and his minutes. His minutes are down this year by a bit but I would like them down a bit more. Grant Hills minutes are ridiculous right now and really has me concerned. I wish our coach would give our rookies some playing time especially in blowouts so that they could maybe contribute down the stretch, but good luck with that. :lol

Findog
11-25-2007, 01:47 AM
I suppose. I have my reservations about how this Suns team will do this year. I would really like to have another big man since Amare gets in so much foul trouble and another real point guard would be nice to help with Nash and his minutes. His minutes are down this year by a bit but I would like them down a bit more. Grant Hills minutes are ridiculous right now and really has me concerned. I wish our coach would give our rookies some playing time especially in blowouts so that they could maybe contribute down the stretch, but good luck with that. :lol

D'Antoni's weakness has always been his unwillingness to use his bench. Sure, he's had some spares riding the pine, but you can't go 7-deep all year long for 100 games, which is what a title run would require. I don't know who I'd rather be a fan of right now, Phoenix or Dallas. They are both princes to the King right now, and they both have serious questions about their ability to get it done. If the Suns can avoid San Antonio, I'd have to make them the favorites though.

jmard5
11-25-2007, 01:48 AM
I am shocked we even stayed in the game. I expect us to get our asses kicked tonight. Meh unlike last year it took us our 13th game to lose our 4th of the year. I am not worried about the Champs especially the MVP Dirk! These guys are fighters with the heart of a champion! :clap :clap :clap

You might want to rethink some of the things you said.

Nashfan
11-25-2007, 01:55 AM
D'Antoni's weakness has always been his unwillingness to use his bench. Sure, he's had some spares riding the pine, but you can't go 7-deep all year long for 100 games, which is what a title run would require. I don't know who I'd rather be a fan of right now, Phoenix or Dallas. They are both princes to the King right now, and they both have serious questions about their ability to get it done. If the Suns can avoid San Antonio, I'd have to make them the favorites though.

This is true about our coach. If he would just use the bench for a least a few minutes every game it would give our starters a breather and make them fresher for the playoffs. The Spurs are the team to beat and the Mavs have proven they can beat them, until we do we will have trouble getting to the finals. Sorry to say, but I don't worry about the Mavs nearly as much as I do about the Spurs. I think the Sun have the Mavs figured out. Hope I didn't just jinx the team by saying that though! :lol

Findog
11-25-2007, 02:07 AM
. Sorry to say, but I don't worry about the Mavs nearly as much as I do about the Spurs. I think the Sun have the Mavs figured out. Hope I didn't just jinx the team by saying that though! :lol

As a Suns fan, you shouldn't. If we play Phoenix, I would prefer it to be the Conference Finals as opposed to earlier. And no disrespect to San Antonio, as great as they are, I would rather draw them than Phoenix.

When it comes to PHX/DAL/SAS, it's rock-paper-scissors.

jman3000
11-25-2007, 03:01 AM

i know phx have become the masters of speed ball... but i dont think that the "style" is that hard to prepare for... there are many teams in the NBA that employ or at least try to employ that pace... none are as effective at it... but it's still being used nonetheless.