PDA

View Full Version : UT Basketball Legit Again?

BeerIsGood!
11-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Last year it was Durant shooting and shooting and shooting surrounded by 4 freshman and a sophmore.

This year the team looks more like a team, and Augustine, Mason, Abrams, and even Atchley look a hell of a lot better than they did last season. They just smoked the #7 team in the country tonight on a neutral court, and were 3 pts shy of their 3rd straight 100 pt game, with last night's 100 pt game coming against NCAA tourney team NMSU. I know the depth is an issue and Gary Johnson might or might not be on the court, but can this team really fight with Kansas and potentially the aggs for the Big XII or more?

LaMarcus Bryant
11-24-2007, 10:20 PM
I don't buy our starting backcourt which i still consider a gimmick, and a defensive liability.

But you know the team is playing well when Conner friggin Atchley grabs 14 rebounds.

BeerIsGood!
11-24-2007, 11:51 PM
I think the backcourt will be fine, Abrams really gets after it and did a good job on defense in the few minutes he had to take Lofton when both Mason and Augustine were on the bench. The big key is the play of Atchley, Wangmene, that goofy freshman kid with the shaggy hair, and Pittman, and whether or not Johnson will be here to add some depth to the front court. Mason looks really good this year, Augustine and Abrams both look better than they ever have in the past. What's encouraging is it's not just the 3 ball, both Augustine and Abrams were able to take the Tenn guards off the dribble and either get assists or score inside - which is something I never saw from Abrams before this year.

Atchley played this game like he just saw Bruce Pearl slap his mother, he was aggressive and tore the Vols up inside - beating them down court several times and playing good defense.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-25-2007, 12:10 AM
I think the backcourt will be fine, Abrams really gets after it and did a good job on defense in the few minutes he had to take Lofton when both Mason and Augustine were on the bench. The big key is the play of Atchley, Wangmene, that goofy freshman kid with the shaggy hair, and Pittman, and whether or not Johnson will be here to add some depth to the front court. Mason looks really good this year, Augustine and Abrams both look better than they ever have in the past. What's encouraging is it's not just the 3 ball, both Augustine and Abrams were able to take the Tenn guards off the dribble and either get assists or score inside - which is something I never saw from Abrams before this year.

Atchley played this game like he just saw Bruce Pearl slap his mother, he was aggressive and tore the Vols up inside - beating them down court several times and playing good defense.

how was abram's in between game? I am still kicking my own ass for missing this game.

BeerIsGood!
11-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Abrams actually made 3 10 to 12 ft jumpers off the drive - it shocked the hell out of me. I knew Augustine added that to his game for this season, and he made a few as well, but I've never seen Abrams do anything like that before. If he can keep it up that will free up his shot against good teams as they will have to respect his dribble. The kid already has a very quick release so just an extra bit of space is what got his shot off today against the Vols when they closed out a bit more cautiously after he beat them off the bounce a few times.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-25-2007, 02:47 AM
AJ Abram's nickname as a Senior will, in fact, be "Quick Release" as it is both uninspiring and belittling to call a Senior "The Baby".

mookie2001
11-25-2007, 09:29 PM
conner atchley is the shit

mookie2001
11-25-2007, 09:31 PM
the whole season is on atchleys shoulders

i like chapman because he allows texas to play a big lineup, he was out there pittman and atchley

j-6
12-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Just hit the half at Pauley with the Horns leading #1 UCLA by 12. The Bruins went about eight minutes without scoring mid-half where UT went on a 17-0 run. UCLA keeps trying to hit from outside but they've missed about ten-eleven 3's in a row.

Midgets look good and nobody's in foul trouble.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-02-2007, 09:41 PM
We need an appearance from The Baby.

StylisticS
12-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Solid team this year. Very solid.

StylisticS
12-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Hell FUCK YESSSSS!!!!! Damion James Baybe.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Great pickup for Coach Gillespie! :tu

degenerate_gambler
12-02-2007, 10:04 PM
helluva win...

and on the road, in Pauley.

too bad a&m couldn't win in tucson and made it a great day for the big 12

eh, who am i kidding? fuck 'em... :lol

thispego
12-02-2007, 10:20 PM
LA sucks

BeerIsGood!
12-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Smoked the then #7 Vols on neutral court and follow that up by taking down the #1 team in the country on their court? Yep, they're for real. Hope they keep improving on what they've got right now.

That was a damn good game. I thought the officials were letting UCLA bump on the hedge move a lot more than they let Texas, but that's the deal with playing on the road at UCLA. Even though UT didn't shoot particularly well in spots, Abrams never got going, and the offense was too stagnant - they still took down the top dogs in the land.

Big XII > Pac 10. Especially at the top.

travis2
12-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Is Kori looking for a ledge yet? :D

Ballcox
12-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Damn! I haven't posted shit recently since I'm still holding a gun to my head every night while watching game tape of UT football from this season and our soon to be ass kicking at the hands of Arizona St.

BUT, what a fucking game against UCLA, simply an amazing performance. At the beginning of this season I didn't know what to make of this team, but I'm amazed at how quick the pieces have come together. I think it has a lot to do with all the returning players we have this season. Mason, Augustine, James, Abrams, Atchley, Pittman, Hill, Smith, Lewis, etc. That kind of 'corporate' knowledge as Pop likes to say is paying big time dividends this season.

And just think, Gary Johnson, our highest ranked recruit is supposed to get clearance to play pretty soon. I would think after this win against UCLA at their HOME court we should be in the top 5 when rankings come out.

Also, have to say that despite having a bad 2nd half, a&m looks good, very good. Just a question of who directs the offense since Law is gone and who makes the tough/clutch shots. Kansas also looked pretty tough in their win against usc. Should be an interesting Big XII basketball season.