PDA

View Full Version : Hughes vs GSP III at UFC 79

dallaskd
11-24-2007, 10:44 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/files/2007/01/070128stpierre.jpg

Georges St. Pierre (14-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) will fill in for injured UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra and fight Matt Hughes (41-5 MMA, 15-3 UFC) for the interim title at UFC 79.

The five-round title fight will headline the Dec. 29 pay-per-view event, which takes place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The stunning announcement came Saturday evening from UFC.com. Hughes confirmed the fight on his official website, matt-hughes.com.

Additionally, a source close to the UFC today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that St. Pierre showed no hesitation in taking the fight on short notice.

We passed along the news from early Friday morning that Serra had suffered a herniated disc. The injury occurred during a workout session earlier this week, prompting an announcement that the fighter would be unavailable to compete at UFC 79. Serra, who won the title by upsetting St. Pierre at UFC 69 in April, coached opposite Hughes on the current sixth season of “The Ultimate Fighter.” The show was supposed to build up to their title fight.

Serra doesn’t know how long the injury will keep him sidelined.

However, possibly fearing the worst, UFC President Dana White decided to book the interim title fight. Apparently, though, it didn’t come without a few stipulations from Hughes.

“I’ve asked for this to be for an interim title, and if Matt Serra can’t fight in a year, then this would just be the title fight,” Hughes stated on his site. “But I don’t know if that is going to happen right now. I will keep you all posted.“

Hughes and St. Pierre have fought twice before. Hughes won the first match-up at UFC 50 in 2004. Facing an undefeated French-Canadian who has just begun to garner some international fame, Hughes submitted his opponent in the final seconds of the first round with an arm-bar.

After reclaiming top-contender’s status, St. Pierre again took on Hughes at UFC 65 in November 2006, where he picked apart the longtime MMA veteran to score a second-round TKO.

However, St. Pierre would lose his belt to Serra in his very next fight. Serra had earned the title shot by winning the welterweight division of a special comeback season of “The Ultimate Fighter.“

Hughes rebounded from his loss to St. Pierre with a victory over Chris Lytle at UFC 68. The win guaranteed him a title fight. And while he and Serra filmed “The Ultimate Fighter: Team Hughes vs. Team Serra,” St. Pierre got back into the title picture by scoring a unanimous-decision victory over Josh Koscheck at UFC 74, which earned him a title shot. His title shot was expected to come in March or April of 2008, when he’d face the winner of Hughes vs. Serra.

“Obviously, the loss of Matt Serra was brutal, but the great thing about the UFC is that we can put together great fights like Hughes-St-Pierre at a moment’s notice and bounce right back,” White stated. “I have the utmost respect for both Hughes and St-Pierre for stepping up for this fight, and not only are the fans going to see two of the greatest welterweights of all-time settle their score in a rubber match, but (they’re) going to do it in a five-round interim title fight, and the winner is going to face off next year against Matt Serra for the undisputed title.“

This is actually the second “interim” title White has created in the past two months. Sean Sherk, who’s currently awaiting an appeal of a failed UFC 73 drug test, will face the winner of an interim fight between Joe Stevenson and B.J. Penn when his suspension ends. White, saying he was fed up with the California State Athletic Commission’s handling of the appeal, recently decided to book the Stevenson vs. Penn bout for UFC 80, which takes place Jan. 19 in Newcastle, England.

http://mmajunkie.com/2007/11/24/ufc-79-matt-hughes-for-georges-st-pierre-iii-for-interim-title/

dallaskd
11-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Who do you think Serra is rooting for?

dallaskd
11-24-2007, 10:46 PM
WOW! This card is Stacked. amazing.

Avitus1
11-25-2007, 03:48 AM
I like Hughes but I gotta go with GSP I think the guy is awesome.

cornbread
11-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Who do you think Serra is rooting for?
I saw a quote where Serra said he's rooting for Hughes so he can still have the opportunity to kick his ass.

dbreiden83080
11-25-2007, 04:29 PM
The short notice has me a little worried but i am guessing that GSP has been basically in training of some sort to take the fight so quickly and sees about a month of hard training as enough time to get ready. As long as he is in shape and fights smart he will beat Hughes again. Matt can not stand with GSP and has trouble taking him down. GSP should win this fight he is a bad matchup for Hughes at this point in their careers.

ATRAIN
11-26-2007, 08:14 AM
When I heard that Serra got hurt I was thinking that would be bad ass to have GSP fill in. Well looks like I got my wish. GO GSP!!!

LEONARD
11-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Good...Hughes will never be champ again :fro

ATRAIN
11-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Good...Hughes will never be champ again :fro

ill drink to that :toast

Evan
11-26-2007, 02:06 PM
I actually like Hughes a lot but GSP much much more.

atxrocker
11-26-2007, 09:53 PM
i say GSP will dominate.

cornbread
11-26-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm not ready to write off Hughes in this fight. I may be alone in this opinion but I still think he poses a formidable threat to GSP, despite that last beatdown in their trilogy.

dbreiden83080
11-27-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm not ready to write off Hughes in this fight. I may be alone in this opinion but I still think he poses a formidable threat to GSP, despite that last beatdown in their trilogy.

He really has no advantages in the fight. GSP is the better striker, the better athlete and in my opinion every bit the wrestler that Hughes is. If GSP comes in ready, no way Hughes beats him.

desflood
11-27-2007, 11:04 AM
GSP might not be ready. Hughes is... well, Matt Freakin' Hughes, and (much as I hate him) he's pretty damn good. And this is short notice to prepare for an opponant of that caliber.

Evan
11-27-2007, 11:21 AM

Totally agree. Not sure why I am reading so many forums where people talk about Hughes like he is a spare. If that guy isn't a hall of famer then who the F is?

I think for some reason people who dont like his attitude are letting their point of view bleed over to their opinion of their skills. Yeah he is an arrogant @ss, but the guys is a fighter, not a volley ball player!

But I don't think Leonard is offbase when he says he may never be champ again. Its very possible. GSP in my opinion is that good.

oligarchy
11-27-2007, 12:50 PM
I think he has been relegated to a lower status because of his loss to GSP. There's the old fighter addage of "you're only as good as your last loss." Of course, I think it's idiotic to think that Hughes isn't one of best fighters and greatest champions. Yes, I said greatest champion.

Hughes may not be the crowd favorite and I may not like him personally, but to discard his accomplishments is a severe injustice to his career. Hughes has lost two title fights out of 11. His first title loss was to BJ Penn, who almost any MMA fan would consider one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world (his conditioning sometimes is another story). The second was to GSP in a re-match that he won the first time. Yes, GSP dominated in the second fight and had grown in skill level, but GSPs first outing as a champion had him quickly relinquishing the belt he just won. Maybe GSP will go on to win the belt and hold it for as long as he wants, but right now Hughes is the greater champion regardless of the fights outcome. Hughes is definitely a HOF'er as soon as he retires.

As I said, I don't personally like Matt Hughes. I don't think anyone has to like him. At the very least, though, you have to respect what he has done as a fighter and for the sport of MMA.

Evan
11-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Well said oligarchy. :toast

LEONARD
11-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Hughes has a chance, I just think it's a slim one. He's certainly a Hall of Famer for what he's done in the past, I just think the sport has caught up to him. Guys like GSP and Fitch are the future of the WW division...

oligarchy
11-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Hughes has a chance, I just think it's a slim one. He's certainly a Hall of Famer for what he's done in the past, I just think the sport has caught up to him. Guys like GSP and Fitch are the future of the WW division...
I think Hughes' problem was that he never had to work on his stand-up game because he was so dominate at controlling the fight to get it to the matt. I think he started his stand-up game a bit too late.

I'm still waiting for Fitch v. GSP. Should be a crappy fight :devil

dallaskd
11-27-2007, 07:24 PM
If Hughes loses is it possible for him to move up to MW? If Silva beats Hendo, im not sure who can. Filho isnt there yet and Kang just got Ko'd. Lindland aint gonna do anything. Franklin had his shot..I think Hughes could be the guy to be able to wrestle down Silva and maybe ground and pound or squeak out a decision. A lot of people laugh at that thought, but Hughes had ONE bad loss to GSP and now everyone is writing him off. The guy is the best WW of all time and next to Liddell as the greatest champ to grace the UFC. Idk about you guys, but I would love to see Hughes vs Okami or different combos Dana could put together.

oligarchy
11-28-2007, 08:04 AM
If Hughes loses is it possible for him to move up to MW? If Silva beats Hendo, im not sure who can. Filho isnt there yet and Kang just got Ko'd. Lindland aint gonna do anything. Franklin had his shot..I think Hughes could be the guy to be able to wrestle down Silva and maybe ground and pound or squeak out a decision. A lot of people laugh at that thought, but Hughes had ONE bad loss to GSP and now everyone is writing him off. The guy is the best WW of all time and next to Liddell as the greatest champ to grace the UFC. Idk about you guys, but I would love to see Hughes vs Okami or different combos Dana could put together.

Hughes has talked about it before, but I don't see Hughes beating Silva. Filho trains at Black House with Nog and Anderson, so I don't see them fighting. I believe Filho has said before that he doesn't wish to fight Anderson (but he would if he had to). Hughes also had a bad loss to BJ Penn when he lost his belt the first time. He lost by a RNC in the first round, but that is neither here nor there. Hughes has been a good champion, but you can see that some of the newer more well rounded fighters negate his wrestling, which causes him problems. He can't stand and fight, unless he's drastically improved his stand-up. With all that said; MW is a thin division and Matt would be at the top, but I think he would be in the same boat as Rich.

LEONARD
11-28-2007, 09:21 AM

Hughes and Liddell are the 2 most over-rated champions of all time :spin

Chuck made his name beating up non-strikers...

Hughes has been passed by bigger, more well-rounded WW's. I think Okami would be too much for him...big/strong enough to negate Hughes' strengths...

Evan
11-28-2007, 09:28 AM
LEONARD....your daft about Hughes.

LEONARD
11-28-2007, 10:23 AM
:ihit

:p:

Evan
11-28-2007, 11:00 AM
:wakeup

oligarchy
11-28-2007, 02:32 PM

Hughes has been passed by bigger, more well-rounded WW's. I think Okami would be too much for him...big/strong enough to negate Hughes' strengths...

Not sure I agree with that. Who's bigger than Hughes at WW? GSP is more well rounded, and BJ Penn is more well rounded, but who else as WW would take it from him? If Hughes was a much better striker, he would be great. And I say that Hughes can do well at MW. I just think it would dumb for him to move up.

Rip-Hamilton32
11-28-2007, 02:46 PM

your right but 2 of those wins are against randy and thats pretty good if you ask me, the other fights were just for his highlight reel

LEONARD
11-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Not sure I agree with that. Who's bigger than Hughes at WW? GSP is more well rounded, and BJ Penn is more well rounded, but who else as WW would take it from him? If Hughes was a much better striker, he would be great. And I say that Hughes can do well at MW. I just think it would dumb for him to move up.

GSP & Fitch are bigger...

I think Fitch can beat Hughes right now...I was actually hoping he'd replace Serra.

LEONARD
11-28-2007, 04:36 PM
your right but 2 of those wins are against randy and thats pretty good if you ask me, the other fights were just for his highlight reel

so maybe Randy is a tad over-rated too? Especially at LHW...

Beating up an injured, mediocre Tim Sylvia and getting the benefit of a fluke broken nose in the Gonzaga fight, which had a HUGE impact. I think Randy is great, but I think he might be over-rated...

oligarchy
11-29-2007, 11:08 AM
GSP & Fitch are bigger...

I think Fitch can beat Hughes right now...I was actually hoping he'd replace Serra.

Bigger how? GSP has stated that he cuts from 185-187 to 170. Hughes has stated that he cuts from 192-195. GSP says he cuts no more than 7-8lbs of water weight the week of the fight, Hughes says no more than 10. Fitch, also said he walks around at 185. I'm sure he just cuts water weight the last week.

LEONARD
11-29-2007, 12:19 PM
GSP & Fitch just seem bigger to me... :wtf

What a guy cuts from can vary...is that their weight when training for a fight, not training for a specific fight but in decent shape, or between fights in vacation mode...who knows.

I have a hard time believing that Hughes is 195 lbs in any sort of fighting shape...

oligarchy
11-29-2007, 12:25 PM
GSP & Fitch just seem bigger to me... :wtf

What a guy cuts from can vary...is that their weight when training for a fight, not training for a specific fight but in decent shape, or between fights in vacation mode...who knows.

I have a hard time believing that Hughes is 195 lbs in any sort of fighting shape...
http://www.matt-hughes.com/blog/ask-matt-archive/

He states that a month before his fight with Royce, he was 192

LEONARD
11-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Ok...that fight was also at 175 lbs...

Fitch and GSP still look bigger to me :fro

Rip-Hamilton32
11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
gsp by tko in the first round

LEONARD
11-29-2007, 02:22 PM
GSP sparring with the current reigning and defending WBA Light Middleweight Champion Joachim Alcine
http://www.jarrypark.com/2007/11/29/vas-y-gsp/

dallaskd
11-29-2007, 07:24 PM
umm idk about this one. hughes is alot stronger and is a better wrestler in my opinion. if hughes can clinch up and use that strength, it could get nasty.

dbreiden83080
11-29-2007, 08:30 PM
umm idk about this one. hughes is alot stronger and is a better wrestler in my opinion. if hughes can clinch up and use that strength, it could get nasty.

I disagree, in the rematch Hughes had his takedown attempts stuffed with ease by GSP. In GSP's last fight he outwrestled, Josh Koscheck, who many feel is the best wrestler in WW division in the UFC, at least until he got bested by GSP.

dallaskd
11-30-2007, 06:56 PM
I disagree, in the rematch Hughes had his takedown attempts stuffed with ease by GSP. In GSP's last fight he outwrestled, Josh Koscheck, who many feel is the best wrestler in WW division in the UFC, at least until he got bested by GSP.

GSP got in Hughes's head. Matt should have stuck to his gameplan. GSP kept nagging hughes and saying Matt couldn't stand with him so matt tried to throw hands and got picked apart until he finally shot in from way to far out and got that head kick. I think Hughes will stick to his gameplan and this fight will be a lot dfferent from the second time. Im picking GSP but Hughes has a hella good shot in this one.

dbreiden83080
12-01-2007, 06:23 PM
GSP got in Hughes's head. Matt should have stuck to his gameplan. GSP kept nagging hughes and saying Matt couldn't stand with him so matt tried to throw hands and got picked apart until he finally shot in from way to far out and got that head kick. I think Hughes will stick to his gameplan and this fight will be a lot dfferent from the second time. Im picking GSP but Hughes has a hella good shot in this one.

Matt is way too much of a pro and has way too much experience to allow anyone to get into his head. Especially a fighter that he beat once before. I don't remember a bunch of trash talk from GSP about Matt not being able to stand with him anyway. GSP is not really a trash talker. Matt got in there and tried to throw his shots mainly his jab and some rights to set up the takedown. Problem was GSP was badly outstriking him with, kicks and punches so Matt got desperate and started to telegragh his takedowns and they were stuffed with ease by GSP. I see this fight being much of the same. GSP outstrikes Hughes badly, Hughes goes for takedowns, GSP stuffs them and KO's Hughes, i say 2nd RD again.

dallaskd
12-01-2007, 09:02 PM
"I am not impressed with your performance"

dbreiden83080
12-01-2007, 10:52 PM
"I am not impressed with your performance"

He said one thing and then took it back 2 min later.

Rip-Hamilton32
12-01-2007, 10:55 PM
He said one thing and then took it back 2 min later.
and he only said it because hughes said something very similar to gsp

dbreiden83080
12-01-2007, 11:00 PM
and he only said it because hughes said something very similar to gsp

That's right and Hughes had a lot more to say about GSP then GSP did about Matt. Saying how he was "Too young to be champ, not experienced enough", that he had not improved enough to beat him since the first fight. I am sure Hughes is going to say that "He was not mentally ready to fight GSP last time, that he took him lightly" or some nonsense in promotion of this rubber match.