PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs to put aside fondness for Carlesimo

Spurs Brazil
11-25-2007, 08:18 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/mmonroe/stories/MYSA112507.14C.SpursSonicsAdvance.en.2fad932.html

Spurs to put aside fondness for Carlesimo

Web Posted: 11/25/2007 01:06 AM CST

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

When media members filtered into the locker room after the Spurs' victory over the Lakers on Nov. 13, they discovered an empty room. Not one player was going through the postgame dress-and-groom ritual that precedes postgame interviews.

Reporters wondered what could be keeping the players.

A roar from the team's private area gave a hint: The players had been watching the final moments of the Seattle-Atlanta game. Kevin Durant had just nailed a game-winning 3-pointer to give the SuperSonics their first victory of the season.

"We were all yelling and screaming," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

The reason for such glee: P.J. Carlesimo's first victory as Seattle's head coach after nine-straight losses.

Such was the relationship between Carlesimo, now in his third incarnation as an NBA head coach, and his former colleagues.

The Spurs will take little delight if they manage to keep the Sonics winless at home when the two teams meet tonight.

Carlesimo's biggest challenge is keeping a team that has young players with great potential from losing faith as the losses mount. He frets about the pressure put on former Texas star Kevin Durant, the second pick in the 2007 draft.

"Kevin has a great deal of resiliency," Carlesimo said, "and he's special. He's going to figure things out, but it's been difficult."

Carlesimo knows a thing or two about resiliency. He was out of the NBA for two years after the Golden State Warriors fired him as head coach in 2000 in the aftermath of an incident in which star player Latrell Sprewell attacked Carlesimo after a practice session.

Popovich added Carlesimo to his Spurs coaching staff in 2002 and Carlesimo immediately became a popular figure inside the organization.

"There's always kind of a yin to a yang when it comes to a coaching staff," Spurs guard Brent Barry said. "I don't want to call P.J. a yang, because that doesn't sound complimentary, but P.J. was a great balancing act for the coaching staff. But we could see that chemistry between Pop and Coach Carlesimo."

Spurs players believed Carlesimo would make a good head coach for another NBA team, but wondered if he ever would get another opportunity.

Popovich was Carlesimo's No. 1 booster when NBA head coaching vacancies arose, but Carlesimo watched less qualified coaches get jobs he sought. When jobs began to open again after the 2006-07 season, Popovich spoke as clearly as he could about his friend and trusted colleague: Those who ran NBA teams would have to be fools not to hire Carlesimo.

Sonics GM Sam Presti, the Spurs' former assistant GM, heeded Popovich's advice.

Now Carlesimo is grateful for the opportunity Presti gave him and appreciative for the experience he had with the Spurs.

"Even I could figure out how special a situation it was," Carlesimo said of his time with the Spurs. "When you do this as long as I've done it, it's not hard to figure out and appreciate what a unique situation that is, across the board, from ownership, management, fan support and working with a group of players as talented as that and working in an environment with Pop and the other coaches.

"It's so special to be in a situation where, when you begin the year, you realistically can say: Our goal is to improve all year and in June be playing for a championship. That's a realistic goal in S.A., and there aren't a lot of places it is realistic."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

MaNuMaNiAc
11-25-2007, 08:46 AM
2 - 11 for Seattle... I don't see that improving

exstatic
11-25-2007, 09:22 AM
2 - 11 for Seattle... I don't see that improving
Well, not today, anyways. I can see them winning 20-25 games once they get to feast on the East.

SpursIndonesia
11-25-2007, 09:30 AM
.......Carlesimo knows a thing or two about resiliency. He was out of the NBA for two years after the Golden State Warriors fired him as head coach in 2000 in the aftermath of an incident in which star player Latrell Sprewell attacked Carlesimo after a practice session......

Sprewell attacked Carlesimo in 2000 ? I thought he already was a Knick by then. :dizzy

I think the Sonics will be fine, but they must suck first for the next 1-2 yrs so Durant would get a good running mate or two.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Well, not today, anyways. I can see them winning 20-25 games once they get to feast on the East.
yeah that's what I meant :lol, 'cause season wise, from a .154 average, the only way is up

mikeanthony21
11-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Sprewell attacked Carlesimo in 2000 ? I thought he already is a Knick by then.

Sprewell was a Knick by 1999.

exstatic
11-25-2007, 09:37 AM
yeah that's what I meant :lol, 'cause season wise, from a .154 average, the only way is up
I was pretty sure you did. :lol So far, they've played 4 East teams and gone 2-2, losing to Orlando and Detroit. If they split 50/50 with the East, that's 15 wins right there. You figure late in the year, they'll develop and catch some West teams napping, too. It's not easy to pick up a motion offense. Give the kids a chance.

Obstructed_View
11-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Sprewell was a Knick by 1999.
Yeah, there's a lot wrong with that report. PJ left the Warriors in '99, two years after the choking incident and long after Sprewell was gone. That's a long fuckin' aftermath.

Seriously, how does Monroe have a fucking job? Is he the webmaster, too? It would certainly explain why it takes fifteen refreshes to get anything on mysanantonio to load.

exstatic
11-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Sprewell attacked Carlesimo in 2000 ? I thought he already was a Knick by then. :dizzy

I think the Sonics will be fine, but they must suck first for the next 1-2 yrs so Durant would get a good running mate or two.
PJ wasn't fired immediately. He coached for a while longer after Spree was shipped out.

edit: see above

Spurs Brazil
11-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Seriously, how does Monroe have a fucking job? Is he the webmaster, too? It would certainly explain why it takes fifteen refreshes to get anything on mysanantonio to load.

I liked Monroe when he was at Foxsports.com. I don't know what happened to him at the Express News

I miss Ludden

bdictjames
11-25-2007, 01:57 PM
I wish PJ the best.

1Parker1
11-25-2007, 02:16 PM
I missed the story on this but how was it that Carlismo was the one that got fired after Spreewell was the one that attacked him? Was it because of the team's losing record that they justified the firing?

Armando
11-25-2007, 07:49 PM

Hopefully the Sonics are patient enough to give Carlesimo time to develop the team.