PDA

View Full Version : Official Texas A&M RPI (thread)

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2007, 11:21 PM
...as of right now A&M is #1 in Sportsline.com's RPI ranks (and it doesn't even include the win over ohio state). granted it doesn't mean a whole lot and its way too early...and this thread may come back to haunt me, but i thought capt. shit head should be aware of this pertinent information.

good times. oh, where is oklahomo state?

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/polls/rpi/index1

RonMexico
11-25-2007, 11:29 PM
CaptMike is trying to come up with some maps of T. Boone's plans for the OSU sports facilities in one of his typical non-sequitors.

Doug Collins
11-25-2007, 11:47 PM
An RPI thread isn't official until Capt. Mike cristens it. We might have to bump this thread until that happens.

Doug Collins
11-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Damn Winthrop is all the way down at #58 I wonder how much that'll hurt our resume later in the season...

leroyjenkins
11-25-2007, 11:53 PM
bump

johngateswhiteley
11-26-2007, 05:30 AM
lmao.

RonMexico
11-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Marcus Dove is 10 times the player DeAndre Jordan is.

johngateswhiteley
12-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Currently #3. still can't believe we lost to 'zona.

MajorMike
12-20-2007, 09:55 AM
good times. oh, where is oklahomo state?

who gives a fuck, he was probably just covering his ass...or making an irrelevant joke. btw, i doubt he has you blocked, i don't give a fuck what he says.

Obviously... I know when I don't give a fuck about someone I constantly start new threads directly aimed at them and continuously verbally attack them.

Ballcox
12-20-2007, 12:49 PM
damn Capt. Mike, jgw just can't help himself from looking like an idiot, it just seems to come so naturally to him!

He's kind of like one of those young guys in prison that gets punked out for making store, but just keeps coming back for more. Kind of disturbing actually........

johngateswhiteley
12-20-2007, 01:03 PM
damn Capt. Mike, jgw just can't help himself from looking like an idiot, it just seems to come so naturally to him!

He's kind of like one of those young guys in prison that gets punked out for making store, but just keeps coming back for more. Kind of disturbing actually........

i like picking on him b/c he is ridiculous and uptight. sure, sometimes i go out on a limb with A&M, but its only b/c i support them and am optimistic. plus, its fun when he only remembers and sigs my inaccurate guesses.

he's a loser...what can i say, like yourself.

Ballcox
12-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Oh man, good one! You're so clever, it makes me just wish I could be more like you every day. :toast

But if you want to go on making generalizations about UT, feel free. The problem is it completely removes any kind of objectivity you might have about college sports/athletics and makes you out to be a huge homer. Although I don't think you really have a problem with that since you've been doing it for over a year now.

Also, if you look at my posts you'll see I actually give credit to teams like a&m when they play well. It's called objectivity jgw, you know, standing back to take in the bigger picture? Give it a try sometime.

MajorMike
12-20-2007, 04:11 PM
So much fun to watch gooners and aggies show their intelligence.

Ballcox
12-20-2007, 06:17 PM
^In a battle of wits, jgw arrives...................

UNARMED :lol

Doug Collins
12-20-2007, 07:10 PM
An RPI thread isn't official until Capt. Mike cristens it. We might have to bump this thread until that happens.

So much fun to watch gooners and aggies show their intelligence.

It's Official! :clap

johngateswhiteley
12-21-2007, 02:55 AM
Oh man, good one! You're so clever, it makes me just wish I could be more like you every day. :toast

But if you want to go on making generalizations about UT, feel free. The problem is it completely removes any kind of objectivity you might have about college sports/athletics and makes you out to be a huge homer. Although I don't think you really have a problem with that since you've been doing it for over a year now.

Also, if you look at my posts you'll see I actually give credit to teams like a&m when they play well. It's called objectivity jgw, you know, standing back to take in the bigger picture? Give it a try sometime.

38-30 A&M won.

johngateswhiteley
12-21-2007, 02:59 AM
^In a battle of wits, jgw arrives...................

UNARMED :lol

ignorant.

Ballcox
12-26-2007, 02:14 PM
^still unarmed :lol

misterx91578
12-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Currently #3. still can't believe we lost to 'zona.

Zona is getting better
:clap

johngateswhiteley
12-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Zona is getting better
:clap

no, they're a solid team and its nothing against them...its just that we were up by 20.

johngateswhiteley
02-05-2008, 11:17 PM
A&M with 4 wins in a row now, all impressive. oklahomo state was a big road win, smashing t.u., beating oklahomo, and now ending iowa state's 9 game home winning streak...great stuff. gig'em.

...we'll have to see where our RPI is after this win, right now its 33. next game is a tough one @ Mizzou.

Doug Collins
02-06-2008, 09:35 AM
A&M with 4 wins in a row now, all impressive. oklahomo state was a big road win, smashing t.u., beating oklahomo, and now ending iowa state's 9 game home winning streak...great stuff. gig'em.

...we'll have to see where our RPI is after this win, right now its 33. next game is a tough one @ Mizzou.

Bryan Davis' improvement has been awesome. When he's not getting called for traveling, the guy can be a beast down low. The breakaway dunk he had after the steal was sweet.

Next couple of games are gonna be real tough @Mizzou, capt. state, and @ texas.

johngateswhiteley
02-06-2008, 09:45 AM
rpi of 25

Brutalis
02-06-2008, 09:55 PM
jgw still at his dumbass level I see. Still making threads about Mike and going on about how big his dick is.

When will you realize, you're just another squirrel looking for a nut? It's like you get off on coming to ST and fucking with other people. You need to mature dude.

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2008, 12:40 AM
jgw still at his dumbass level I see. Still making threads about Mike and going on about how big his dick is.

When will you realize, you're just another squirrel looking for a nut? It's like you get off on coming to ST and fucking with other people. You need to mature dude.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

George Orwell

MajorMike
02-07-2008, 09:25 AM
I think it all has become fairly stable now. Most teams in the 25-40 range have stayed in the same relative place even after a loss. UT had a good win last night, and it looks like they will get around a 4 seed. KSU is a 5-6 seed right now (the loss to Mizzou is bad). They can help themselves with games @ ttek, @ BU and home against UT. atm & BU are 6-8 seeds, while uo looks like a 8-10 seed. ttek could feasably get in, but highly unlikely. A win last night would have gone a long way.

RonMexico
02-07-2008, 11:20 AM

You're the one who is missing a Nutt.

IcemanCometh
02-19-2008, 02:21 AM
1. Tenn
2. Memphis
3. Duke
4. UNC
5. Texas
6. Kansas
7. UCLA
8. X-Men
9. Georgetown
10. Drake
11. UConn
12. Vandy
13. Wisconsin
14. Mich St.
15. Louisville
16. Marquette
38. Texas A&M

How come you stopped the RPI updates?

johngateswhiteley
02-19-2008, 02:27 AM
1. Tenn
2. Memphis
3. Duke
4. UNC
5. Texas
6. Kansas
7. UCLA
8. X-Men
9. Georgetown
10. Drake
11. UConn
12. Vandy
13. Wisconsin
14. Mich St.
15. Louisville
16. Marquette
38. Texas A&M

How come you stopped the RPI updates?

:tu

degenerate_gambler
02-26-2008, 09:31 AM
rpi doesn't mean much these days does it ags?

Doug Collins
02-26-2008, 10:00 AM
rpi doesn't mean much these days does it ags?

Hey, we're working for a Top seed in the NIT every game matters. Maybe we can win the post season one too! :elephant

MajorMike
02-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Wow... I haven't paid much attention (with OSU in the 100s haven't needed to) but I didn't realize how bleak it looks for atm.

They currently sit at 52 and 6-6 in conf. They have lost 3 in a row and still have to play @ uo, @ BU and KU at home, plus ttek at home. They are a distant 6th in the B12 rpi (UT 3 KU 9 uo 26*ya I don't get that either* BU 35 KS 38 atm 52).

Unless atm goes 3-1 their last 4 games, they do not get into the NCAA at 8-8 and 6th place in the B12. No 8-8 teams from the B12 have ever made it, only 4 9-7 teams have made it and all but one was 5th place (UT 2 years after their Final Four), and there has even been a 10-6 team left out from the B12.

Doug Collins
02-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Wow... I haven't paid much attention (with OSU in the 100s haven't needed to) but I didn't realize how bleak it looks for atm.

They currently sit at 52 and 6-6 in conf. They have lost 3 in a row and still have to play @ uo, @ BU and KU at home, plus ttek at home. They are a distant 6th in the B12 rpi (UT 3 KU 9 uo 26*ya I don't get that either* BU 35 KS 38 atm 52).

Unless atm goes 3-1 their last 4 games, they do not get into the NCAA at 8-8 and 6th place in the B12. No 8-8 teams from the B12 have ever made it, only 4 9-7 teams have made it and all but one was 5th place (UT 2 years after their Final Four), and there has even been a 10-6 team left out from the B12.

Unless they make a huge run to end the season and get really deep into the tourney, I don't see them making the tourney. The only real quality win is against Texas at home and we've had some really bad losses.

johngateswhiteley
02-27-2008, 10:47 PM
...todays win was so fucking sweet, 'bout time we smashed tekk.

degenerate_gambler
02-28-2008, 09:42 AM
...todays win was so fucking sweet, 'bout time we smashed tekk.

bout time aggy won......period.

RonMexico
02-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Hopefully the energy carries over to the next 3 games. I think 2 wins on the road v. OU and Baylor, even if they lose at home to Kansas would be a decent enough resume at 9-7 to make the tourney.

If not, they just need to make a decent showing at the Big 12 tournament to make the final push. The Big 12 is 2nd in RPI according to ESPN and a 20-win season with a winning record in conference should be enough. If the Big East can get 8 teams each year, the 4th place team (hopefully) in the Big 12 should as well.

Doug Collins
02-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Hopefully the energy carries over to the next 3 games. I think 2 wins on the road v. OU and Baylor, even if they lose at home to Kansas would be a decent enough resume at 9-7 to make the tourney.

If not, they just need to make a decent showing at the Big 12 tournament to make the final push. The Big 12 is 2nd in RPI according to ESPN and a 20-win season with a winning record in conference should be enough. If the Big East can get 8 teams each year, the 4th place team (hopefully) in the Big 12 should as well.

But the Big East has Jay Bilas' and ESPN's blessing, the Big 12 does not. We should just give the entire Big East, ACC, and Big 10 automatic bids.

RonMexico
02-28-2008, 01:40 PM
And it shouldn't be the MOP of the Final Four anymore. It should just be the Joakim Noah.

I've never seen a kid with such heart and energy. Such a good kid, too. Did you know his dad was a tennis player? Here's another shot of him in the stands in case you forgot.

Kermit
02-28-2008, 06:38 PM
"Did you know his mom was a model?"

That one was my favorite. Seriously, your mom is a model. Miss Sweden. What the fuck happened to you?

johngateswhiteley
02-29-2008, 08:42 PM
...currently 42, they'll make it if they stay in the top 5 of conference....for sure. A&M will make the tourney, EASILY, at 9-7...8-8 i am not so sure, but inclined to say yes. there are a couple 'experts' that say A&M could get in at 7-9, but thats wildly speculative, imo. A&M should finish no worse than 8-8 and that should get them in, we'll see.

MajorMike
02-29-2008, 10:54 PM
...currently 42, they'll make it if they stay in the top 5 of conference....for sure. A&M will make the tourney, EASILY, at 9-7...8-8 i am not so sure, but inclined to say yes. there are a couple 'experts' that say A&M could get in at 7-9, but thats wildly speculative, imo. A&M should finish no worse than 8-8 and that should get them in, we'll see.

The problem is not their record, per se, it is that at 8-8, they will be at best 6th in the B12 behind KSU, BU and uo. BU will be 9-7 and uo will either be 9-7 or 8-8. uo's rpi is MUCH higher than atm's (high 20s/low 30s vs 40-50). There is absolutely no way the NCAA takes 3 teams from the B12 with 9-7/8-8 records. With atm finishing not only behind them in the standings but behind them in rpi, they won't all make it.

To get in they have to have an upset @ uo or BU and then have whomever they upset lose again. If they can do it at uo and OSU can beat uo in Stillwater they have a shot at a higher finish.

The flipside to this is that they will be in a 3-4 way tie because OSU would also finish 8-8. Additionally, if Neb were to beat uo and not OSU, Neb would finish 8-8 and in that quagmire. The last thing atm wants is no lose a tiebreaker and finish behind in the standings to OSU (who will be around 80 RPI) or Neb (who will be around 90).

I don't see a real logical way that atm gets in unless they go 9-7, which means they most likely win @ uo and @ BU and thus finish ahead of both them and OSU and Neb in 4th. Its the only real way.

johngateswhiteley
03-01-2008, 04:28 PM
the most disgusting thing i have seen in a long...long...long time. we shouldn't make the tournament based on this game (ou) alone.

MajorMike
03-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Whew

RonMexico
03-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Of course CaptMike comes on.

MajorMike
03-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Well ttek's win over UT made it a 4-way tie for 5th. Additionally, atm has a good tiebreaker if UT finishes #1 but loses that tiebreaker if KU finishes #1.

Extra Stout
03-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Let's see... in A&M's last two road games, they've scored a combined 28 points in the first half. They're setting all-time NCAA records for offensive futility. Yeah, that looks like a tourney team to me. Hey, maybe if they made it, they could go scoreless for an entire half in the opening-round game!

RonMexico
03-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Big 12 Tourney it is.

degenerate_gambler
03-03-2008, 10:51 AM
- 10 total points in the first half??

- over 16 minutes without scoring a single point???

that's CYOish...

Doug Collins
03-03-2008, 11:38 AM
- 10 total points in the first half??

- over 16 minutes without scoring a single point???

that's CYOish...

Aggies completely blow. We're not even NIT worthy. I mean Marist would probably beat us.

Extra Stout
03-03-2008, 11:52 AM
I especially loved Turdgeon throwing the team under the bus after the game. "I don't understand this team" and "they had that deer in the headlights look." If only there were a means of getting an adult in there to give direction to that assemblage of young men... to "coach" them if you will...

Turdgeon needs to be one and done. He is a failure as a coach.

RonMexico
03-03-2008, 12:39 PM
He needs to stop playing Mike D'Antoni and start playing role of motivator. We have quiet leaders on the floor, so he needs to be the one to take charge.

johngateswhiteley
03-07-2008, 03:55 PM

degenerate_gambler
03-07-2008, 04:12 PM

guess that's what you have to hold onto when your team isn't ranked.

ReggieF
03-07-2008, 05:02 PM
guess that's what you have to hold onto when your team isn't ranked.

who exactly is your team?

degenerate_gambler
03-07-2008, 05:22 PM
who exactly is your team?

the one that i bet on that covers the number..

but UT runs a close 2nd..

ReggieF
03-07-2008, 05:27 PM
the one that i bet on that covers the number..

but UT runs a close 2nd..

I figured

K-State Spur
03-08-2008, 08:11 PM
The problem is not their record, per se, it is that at 8-8, they will be at best 6th in the B12 behind KSU, BU and uo.

Didn't matter to the committee last year when they took 5th place Tech (9-7) over 4th place K-State (10-6)....just 3 days after K-State spanked Tech on a neutral floor.

K-State Spur
03-08-2008, 08:13 PM
I especially loved Turdgeon throwing the team under the bus after the game. "I don't understand this team" and "they had that deer in the headlights look." If only there were a means of getting an adult in there to give direction to that assemblage of young men... to "coach" them if you will...

Turdgeon needs to be one and done. He is a failure as a coach.

I wouldn't fire him after one year, but that's stupid of Turgeon to say. In terms of recent collapses down the stretch, there is only one common denominator on that team, and it's not any of the players.

You'd think at some point he'd start to realize that when most of his teams collapse at the end of the season (sometimes monumentally), it might - just MIGHT - have something to do with what he is doing...

johngateswhiteley
03-09-2008, 07:10 AM
...bad loss at home. i expected A&M to be more competitive. at this point i think A&M is in the tourney, but a conference tourney win would be nice.

ReggieF
03-10-2008, 11:56 AM
better not lose to 14-17 ISU or the committe may have to leave us out.

degenerate_gambler
03-10-2008, 12:58 PM
i expected A&M to be more competitive.

lol...why?

MajorMike
03-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Didn't matter to the committee last year when they took 5th place Tech (9-7) over 4th place K-State (10-6)....just 3 days after K-State spanked Tech on a neutral floor.

ttek had a better rpi and better resume in general than KSU did.

This year, atm is last amongst all those teams in rpi and SOS:

(rpi as per CBS: uo - 24, BU - 38, KSU - 39, atm - t50)

(rpi as per NCAA: uo - 28, BU - 33, KSU - 42, atm - 46)

(as per Realtime RPI: uo - 24, BU - 36, KSU - 44, atm - 47)

(SOS as per CBS: uo - 12, BU - 37, KSU - 20, atm - 58)

as per Realtime RPI: uo - 10, BU - 31, KSU - 26, atm 57)

Therefore this year, atm is competing with a team that finished 3rd in the B12 with a 10-6 record as their closest rpi.

At this point UT, KU and KSU have bids locked up.

I would say uo was a sure thing because they are 4th seed with a 1st round bye and will play either the 5th seed BU or CU if they upset BU. Therefore if they would happen to lose to BU there is no stigma loss as BU is most likely in as well or even if they lose to CU because they will have also just upset the 5-seed.

For the same reasons listed above, I also say BU is in. They beat CU and lose to uo, they were supposed to. They lose to CU and they were still the 5th seed and last team with a winning B12 record, PLUS have a sub-40 rpi. Only 2 or 3 teams have EVER been left out of the NCAA when from a BCS conf and an rpi in the 30s.

That means atm is competing with itself for a spot. No worry about ttek or OSU getting a spot unless they win it all (and then only one of them because those 2 teams play the 1st game on Thurs). atm has a poor resume, poor SOS, no good road wins, 3-6 vs the rpi top 50, 2 bad losses at home, non-conf SOS that ranks outside the top 200. Only real nice win on paper is a rivalry game.

So here is the skinny:

Teams in:

- ACC (4): Duke, North Carolina, Clemson, Miami

- Big 12 (5): Kansas, Texas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Baylor

- Big East (7): Connecticut, Georgetown, Louisville, Marquette, Notre Dame, - Pittsburgh, West Virginia

- Big Ten (4): Indiana, Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin

- Pac-10 (4): Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington State

- SEC (3): Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State

- West Coast (2): St. Mary's, Gonzaga

- Others (9): Butler (Horizon), BYU (Mountain West), *Drake (Missouri Valley), Memphis (C-USA), Xavier (Atlantic 10), *Cornell (Ivy League), *Winthrop (Big South), *Austin Peay (Ohio Valley), *Belmont (Atlantic Sun)

* -- denotes automatic bid

- Other leagues (15): America East, Big Sky, Big West, Colonial, MAC, Metro Atlantic, MEAC, Northeast, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Summit, Sun Belt, SWAC and WAC

That is 53 teams that I call in, and the only ones to argue would be the B12 ones. Fact is atm WANTS all those B12 teams as automatics because atm will be, no kidding, the 6th team taken from B12 or stay home.

I also think that after this weekend you HAVE to include the following before atm:

- arKy (rpi 40 beat Vandy, Baylor, Miss State)
- UK (rpi 52, SOS 11, beat Tenn & arKy, and only losses in last 13 games are @ Tenn and @ Vandy); Plus they are 12-4 in SEC
- Ohio St (rpi 48, SOS 16, beat Mich St, Purdue, Cuse) won back-to-back games against Top 25 teams to end season

56 teams and 9 bids left. You have to figure at the VERY least one team that is not in will win someone's tourney (like the A-10 or CUSA) that will lessen even further your error of margin.

Teams not listed but ahead of atm in rpi are the ones atm fighting with:
UNLV - rpi 29
Zona - rpi 32, SOS 2
UMass - rpi 37
Ole Miss - rpi 45, 6-3 vs rpi Top 50
Cuse - rpi 47, SOS 7
New Mex - rpi t50

Needless to say, atm is fighting for one of the last bids left. A loss to ISU and they are out. I wouldn't feel safe unless they are still playing Sat.

atm is looking to become the 1st EVER 8-8 team from the B12 taken in the NCAA.

RonMexico
03-11-2008, 12:10 AM
So CaptMike copied and pasted a lot of other people's thoughts into this thread to make a single point that all A&M fans already knew: the Ags can't fall to Iowa State and probably need to beat KSU to get to Saturday in order to bolster their tourney resume.

Otherwise, if they lose to Iowa State, then they're going to have to prepare heavily for Marist in the NIT.

Mike is to bias as Fox is to Fair and Balanced.

johngateswhiteley
03-11-2008, 12:34 AM
So CaptMike copied and pasted a lot of other people's thoughts into this thread to make a single point that all A&M fans already knew: the Ags can't fall to Iowa State and probably need to beat KSU to get to Saturday in order to bolster their tourney resume.

Otherwise, if they lose to Iowa State, then they're going to have to prepare heavily for Marist in the NIT.

Mike is to bias as Fox is to Fair and Balanced.

i bet A&M is in if they beat Iowa State...they don't have to beat k-state to get in.

MajorMike
03-11-2008, 08:23 AM
2 more spots went last night: San Diego wasn't in yet SM and Zags are, plus S Bama lost and they will be in for sure.

- ACC (4): Duke, North Carolina, Clemson, Miami
- Big 12 (5): Kansas, Texas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Baylor
- Big East (7): Connecticut, Georgetown, Louisville, Marquette, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, West Virginia
- Big Ten (4): Indiana, Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin
- Pac-10 (4): Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington State
- SEC (3): Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State
- West Coast (3): St. Mary's, Gonzaga, San Diego
- Sun Belt (2): South Alabama, tourney champ
- Others (12): Butler (Horizon), BYU (Mountain West), Memphis (C-USA), Xavier (Atlantic 10), *Drake (Missouri Valley), *Cornell (Ivy League), *Winthrop (Big South), *Austin Peay (Ohio Valley), *Belmont (Atlantic Sun), *George Mason (Colonial), *Siena (MAAC), *Davidson (Southern)
* -- denotes automatic bid
Other leagues (12): America East, Big Sky, Big West, MAC, MEAC, Northeast, Patriot, Southland, Summit, Sun Belt, SWAC and WAC

That's 56.

Other teams I think are in:
(7) arKy, UK, Ohio, UNLV, one more from BEast (either Cuse or Nova), at least one more from P10 (Zona, ASU, Ore), New Mexico.

That's 63. I would say that atm would be next-ish on that list. Teams not on this list are VaTek (9-7 in ACC), IllSt (lost in MVC champ game), Temple (beat Xavier and UMass - 2nd in A10), Ole Miss, Florida, Fla St

The A10 tourney is coming up; Xavier is in regardless and I have UMass as an at-large. If anyone else wins it that will be one more spot gone.

P10 tourney coming up. Zona plays Ore State then Stanford, ASU plays USC and Oregon plays Wazzu. I can easily see 2 of these 3 P10 schools getting in, depending on what happens in the tourney, with Ore and Zona having the best chances.

degenerate_gambler
03-11-2008, 08:48 AM
i bet A&M is in if they beat Iowa State...they don't have to beat k-state to get in.

they will crush iowa st...

and they don't play k-state in manhattan this time....so they'll win that one too...but barely.

probably go into the tourney as a 8-9 seed..

MajorMike
03-11-2008, 09:13 AM
They will not go in any higher than a 10 seed; I figure a 12 - 13 as one of the very last at-large selections. They had a much better season/resume in 2006 when they were a 12-seed.

degenerate_gambler
03-11-2008, 09:20 AM
They will not go in any higher than a 10 seed; I figure a 12 - 13 as one of the very last at-large selections. They had a much better season/resume in 2006 when they were a 12-seed.

my memory's too bad to remember '06 and i'm too lazy to research this stuff so you may be right about being seeded that low.

but wherever they end up seedwise, i think the committe is going to give them a bitch of a draw the first two rounds.

Extra Stout
03-11-2008, 09:23 AM
If A&M goes in as an 11 or 12 seed, and draws a really good defensive team, could something like a 65-25 loss happen?

And shouldn't the fact that I can quite credibly ask that question tell you all you need to know about whether A&M belongs in the NCAA Tournament?

johngateswhiteley
03-11-2008, 09:39 AM

and they don't play k-state in manhattan this time....so they'll win that one too...but barely.

i could see that.

johngateswhiteley
03-11-2008, 09:41 AM

thats silly, depends what A&M does in the tournament. if A&M is on they can hang with any team in the country...problem is, this is probably the most inconsistent team i have ever seen.

johngateswhiteley
03-11-2008, 09:44 AM
If A&M goes in as an 11 or 12 seed, and draws a really good defensive team, could something like a 65-25 loss happen?

And shouldn't the fact that I can quite credibly ask that question tell you all you need to know about whether A&M belongs in the NCAA Tournament?

(sigh) A&M belongs in the tourney...and i'd bet they win their first round game.

MajorMike
03-11-2008, 09:45 AM
They of course will be trying to win only their 2nd B12 Tourney game... ever; only win in B12 tourney was in 2006 86-53 over CU.

johngateswhiteley
03-11-2008, 09:48 AM
They of course will be trying to win only their 2nd B12 Tourney game... ever; only win in B12 tourney was in 2006 86-53 over CU.

don't think they will beat iowa state? i'll take that bet...?

RonMexico
03-11-2008, 10:10 AM

WOW!!! OMG!! You're so right, Mike. I wish I had such stats at my disposal.

Everyone already knows this. Remember last year when OSU beat A&M by 1 and the Ags dropped to a 3-seed and you guys scored Marist at home in the NIT?

Maybe when you lose this year, I'll come on this board and create a thread and simply say "scoreboard" in it like your smart ass (I would link to that thread, but Kori has disabled the search right now... wait until I have the opportunity).

Doug Collins
03-11-2008, 10:17 AM

On the other hand they're also capable of beating a top 10 Texas team with a high potential for a number one seed by double figures. So what's your point? We all know they are the most bi-polar team in the Big 12 and maybe the country, but that doesn't mean they're not capable of beating quality opponents. If they beat ISU they're probably in, if they beat ISU and KSU they're locks.

RonMexico
03-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Andy Katz was on the radio this morning and he said that we're in.

Stewart Mandel on CNNSI said we're in and put as at a 9 seed.

Lunardi has us at a 9 seed as well.

I can see anything from 8-12 depending on how the Big 12 tourney plays out.

I find it incredibly humorous that CaptMike denounced our 2006 tourney resume last year (quoting Seth Davis by saying that our win against Texas "singlehandedly got us in the tournament"). Then we promptly destroyed Syracuse and were 2 seconds away from a Sweet 16 berth. Mike also has disappeared from this RPI thread until this week, another sign of a fairweather pussy.

Hey Mike, Winthrop is in the tournament again this year. How do you like them apples?

AggieJV2006
03-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Andy Katz was on the radio this morning and he said that we're in.

Stewart Mandel on CNNSI said we're in and put as at a 9 seed.

Lunardi has us at a 9 seed as well.

I can see anything from 8-12 depending on how the Big 12 tourney plays out.

I find it incredibly humorous that CaptMike denounced our 2006 tourney resume last year (quoting Seth Davis by saying that our win against Texas "singlehandedly got us in the tournament"). Then we promptly destroyed Syracuse and were 2 seconds away from a Sweet 16 berth. Mike also has disappeared from this RPI thread until this week, another sign of a fairweather pussy.

Hey Mike, Winthrop is in the tournament again this year. How do you like them apples?

LOL. Youre so right... I remember when CaptMike questioned the RPI of Winthrop and now they've made the tournament for 3 straight years.

Wasn't 3 years ago the last time OSU was in the tournament? What's your excuse these days?

RonMexico
03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
LOL. Youre so right... I remember when CaptMike questioned the RPI of Winthrop and now they've made the tournament for 3 straight years.

Wasn't 3 years ago the last time OSU was in the tournament? What's your excuse these days?

Yeah, Mike tends to make up excuses for his disappearence a lot:

1. His imaginary daughter was in the hospital.
2. His "wife" is sick.
3. It's the anniversary of the plane crash.
4. He's hanging out with the Woods brothers.
5. He's consoling Bobby Reid.
6. He has "friends" and "co-workers"

K-State Spur
03-11-2008, 11:15 AM

...yeah, because that first game was so close that it could just be chalked up to home court advantage.

degenerate_gambler
03-11-2008, 11:20 AM
...yeah, because that first game was so close that it could just be chalked up to home court advantage.

i dont know...conference-wise, what was your home vs. road record this year?

johngateswhiteley
03-11-2008, 12:23 PM

home court is huge. A&M killed t.u. in college station and then got killed in austin. we'll see...

K-State Spur
03-11-2008, 01:31 PM

7-1, 3-5. With the exception of a 14 point loss in lawrence, the Cat's did not get soundly defeated in any conference road game. They certainly struggled in some ball games, but they had plenty of opportunities to defeat mizzou, baylor, tech, and unl on the road - just didn't make enough plays down the stretch.

I'm just saying that even the statisticians who give the biggest home/road edge will attribute home court to being equal to roughly 10 points.

So when a team gets beat by 21 in Manhattan, it's pretty likely that had those two teams matched up instead in College Station, the result would likely have been similar.

This is in no way to say that A&M can't beat KSU if the two teams matched up on Friday. But when discussing the first game, I don't think you can just chalk it up to home court and dismiss it.

Doug Collins
03-11-2008, 03:58 PM
7-1, 3-5. With the exception of a 14 point loss in lawrence, the Cat's did not get soundly defeated in any conference road game. They certainly struggled in some ball games, but they had plenty of opportunities to defeat mizzou, baylor, tech, and unl on the road - just didn't make enough plays down the stretch.

I'm just saying that even the statisticians who give the biggest home/road edge will attribute home court to being equal to roughly 10 points.

So when a team gets beat by 21 in Manhattan, it's pretty likely that had those two teams matched up instead in College Station, the result would likely have been similar.

This is in no way to say that A&M can't beat KSU if the two teams matched up on Friday. But when discussing the first game, I don't think you can just chalk it up to home court and dismiss it.

K-State thrashed the Aggies pretty good. Neutral site (not really since it's in KC) I think it would be a much closer game, as long as the aggies dont do their typical freak out at the beginning of the game and turn the ball over 10 straight times. Trying to predict how they'll play is impossible. We could either have a good clsoe game or another blowout. Who knows, but I certainly think the aggies are capable of beating KSU.

K-State Spur
03-11-2008, 04:18 PM
K-State thrashed the Aggies pretty good. Neutral site (not really since it's in KC) I think it would be a much closer game, as long as the aggies dont do their typical freak out at the beginning of the game and turn the ball over 10 straight times. Trying to predict how they'll play is impossible. We could either have a good clsoe game or another blowout. Who knows, but I certainly think the aggies are capable of beating KSU.

It may also depend on how the game is called. Beasley got into foul trouble early in the first match-up, and that allowed A&M to have the lead for most of the first half.

On the flip side, he's the type of player who can put A&M's entire front line into foul trouble when he's pushing the ball to the hoop.

Doug Collins
03-11-2008, 04:47 PM
It may also depend on how the game is called. Beasley got into foul trouble early in the first match-up, and that allowed A&M to have the lead for most of the first half.

On the flip side, he's the type of player who can put A&M's entire front line into foul trouble when he's pushing the ball to the hoop.

Should be a good match-up either way. Walker pretty much destroyed us last game, he cant be left open at the 3pt line this time. I expect the refs to let them be pretty physical with each other. Of course they have to beat ISU first.

RonMexico
03-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Can we call this the Official CaptMike Disappearence Thread?

Because all he does is post bracketology from other websites, delete's A&M's name from those predictions, states no 8-8 team from the Big 12 has made it, and then leaves without defending his thoughts.

I guess World of Warcraft was big today at work.

Has no 8-8 from a conference ranked 2nd in RPI made it, Mike? That's a more practical Q&A, especially coming from a guy who always likes to trumpet the Big 12 as a strong conference in every sport. It's just another hypocritical post from you... I'm pretty sure if OSU were a bubble 8-8 team in the 2nd ranked conference in the nation, you'd be tooting their horn as much as you could. You're quick to protect Big 12 football, even when they suck.

The above is no different than the other non-sequitor you've posted in this thread: A&M has only won a single Big 12 tourney game in 11 years. What does that matter now? In the 10 years prior to Gillispie's arrival, the school won 90 games total. In the past 4 years, they've won 92. Based on your logic, none of these previous 20-win seasons were possible because they only averaged 9 wins per year for 10 years.

How has the Historic Record in the Historic G-Iba Arena in Historic Stillwater with Historic Drug-related Suspensions with a Historically Drunk Coach and his Historically Sweaty Offspring aided you this year?

MajorMike
03-11-2008, 07:19 PM

I think the game turns more on whether Beasley's supporting staff decides to show up or not.

MajorMike
03-11-2008, 07:22 PM

lol, yeah Winthrop. Hell even OSU was better rpi than them this year, and that's not saying much. That means that atm could have probably finished a game ahead of them in their conf, too.

Trying to justify Winthrop being good because they are in the tourney 3 years in a row is like trying to say atm has a good basketball tradition because they could make the tourney 3 years in a row.

MajorMike
03-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Nova kills Cuse to take them out of the picture.

RonMexico
03-12-2008, 02:59 PM
lol, yeah Winthrop. Hell even OSU was better rpi than them this year, and that's not saying much. That means that atm could have probably finished a game ahead of them in their conf, too.

Trying to justify Winthrop being good because they are in the tourney 3 years in a row is like trying to say atm has a good basketball tradition because they could make the tourney 3 years in a row.

It's also like saying Eddie Sutton is the greatest coach of all time because he stuck around enough to get 800 wins.... at San Francisco.

johngateswhiteley
03-13-2008, 11:15 PM
A&M is now playing for tournament seeding...big game against k-state.

Doug Collins
03-13-2008, 11:19 PM
A&M is now playing for tournament seeding...big game against k-state.

Hopefully Jordan and Jones are feeling better tomorrow and no one else gets sick.

johngateswhiteley
03-15-2008, 01:32 AM
rpi

degenerate_gambler
03-15-2008, 07:14 AM

and they don't play k-state in manhattan this time....so they'll win that one too...but barely...

gee, looks like someone knows what they're talking about..

and he makes $$$ at it too..

johngateswhiteley
03-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Let's see... in A&M's last two road games, they've scored a combined 28 points in the first half. They're setting all-time NCAA records for offensive futility. Yeah, that looks like a tourney team to me. Hey, maybe if they made it, they could go scoreless for an entire half in the opening-round game!

yeah, they don't look like a tourney team to me.

johngateswhiteley
03-15-2008, 07:33 AM
gee, looks like someone knows what they're talking about..

and he makes $$$ at it too..

you thought we'd lose to baylor...but i'm not keeping a tally. anyway, good picks. ku will be tough...but A&M is playing more like they were earlier in the season it appears...so maybe we have a decent chance.

RonMexico
03-15-2008, 10:05 AM
KU game will be tough.

johngateswhiteley
03-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Lunardi has A&M up to an 8 seed now, sure would be nice to beat kansas.

Doug Collins
03-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Lunardi has A&M up to an 8 seed now, sure would be nice to beat kansas.

Beating KU would potentially set up the perfect storm of shit talking with Texas. But KU is gonna be really tough, especially after they blew us out last week. We played pretty good D against them for the majority of the first half, but as always stupid fuckin turnovers did us in. Keeping Arthur out of the paint is gonna be a pain as well.

johngateswhiteley
03-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Beating KU would potentially set up the perfect storm of shit talking with Texas. But KU is gonna be really tough, especially after they blew us out last week. We played pretty good D against them for the majority of the first half, but as always stupid fuckin turnovers did us in. Keeping Arthur out of the paint is gonna be a pain as well.

wont be able to watch the game...again! got a rugby game @ 1pm today...but this time i didn't forget to DVR.

johngateswhiteley
03-15-2008, 07:59 PM
rpi+

johngateswhiteley
03-16-2008, 03:23 AM
damn, Lunardi has A&M as a 6 seed...wow.

degenerate_gambler
03-17-2008, 08:55 AM
you thought we'd lose to baylor...

for posterity's sake...refer to post #66.

MajorMike
03-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Silly wabbit, jgw only remembers what was said in the past if it benefits him.

degenerate_gambler
03-17-2008, 09:18 AM

no doubt..

johngateswhiteley
03-17-2008, 09:26 AM
for posterity's sake...refer to post #66.

for posterity's sake...refer to post # 70.

johngateswhiteley
03-17-2008, 09:28 AM

do you even realize what you are posting? it helps your ridiculous claim, a few posts ago, not at all. anyway, not sure why degenerate rambler is feeding you...

johngateswhiteley
03-17-2008, 09:43 AM

johngateswhiteley
03-17-2008, 09:48 AM

no.

MajorMike
03-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Good job in proving my point. This was before the B12 tourney, when BU was clearly a better seed and atm was a 10-12. BU loses, atm upsets KSU and they move up to all the way to a 9 seed.

So yes, when this statement was made, it was, in fact, correct.

When one spot in history suits you, you are all about it. When it doesn't, you act like it never happened.

samikeyp
03-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Good job in proving my point. This was before the B12 tourney, when BU was clearly a better seed and atm was a 10-12. BU loses, atm upsets KSU and they move up to all the way to a 9 seed.

When one spot in history suits you, you are all about it. When it doesn't, you act like it never happened.

Actually it wasn't.

The seeds were not set until last night after the B12 tournament was over so your statement was an opinion, not fact.

johngateswhiteley
03-17-2008, 10:02 AM

you're a funny kid. its this simple...you thought A&M would be a 12-13 seed b/c you figured baylor wouldn't lose to colorado and A&M wouldn't beat k-state. you were wrong and A&M is now a 9 seed, never mind they should be an 8 or a 7.

you post and never take a stand or really say anything...posters are expected to assume what you meant and then you can always back track when you feel it necessary. i never forget what i post and i have no problem owning up to it...you just like to either a) take me out of context or b) be an idiot.

its quite the treat when you perform a & b....but that laugh is surely running out. you should try something new.

degenerate_gambler
03-17-2008, 10:02 AM
for posterity's sake...refer to post # 70.

that tells me nothing...other than i was right and you partially agreed with me.

MajorMike
03-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Wow, you just made a great analysis of yourself.

I, on the other hand, always stand behind what I say. The only problem is trolls like you (and ronnie even tho I only get to see his ramblings in quotes) like to jump on one thing and make it absolute.

I don't know why you haven't gone ape-shit about the fact I said no way UGA will make the NCAA, or Tenn was one of my #1s. Things change, life is funny that way.

Those who speak up rule the world while those that just sit around and make fun of those that speak up just wish they were more like them.

johngateswhiteley
03-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Wow, you just made a great analysis of yourself.

I, on the other hand, always stand behind what I say. The only problem is trolls like you (and ronnie even tho I only get to see his ramblings in quotes) like to jump on one thing and make it absolute.

I don't know why you haven't gone ape-shit about the fact I said no way UGA will make the NCAA, or Tenn was one of my #1s. Things change, life is funny that way.

Those who speak up rule the world while those that just sit around and make fun of those that speak up just wish they were more like them.

its possible i speak up more than anyone on this forum. i don't mind being wrong or sig material...i have nothing to fear (some of your older sigs can attest to that).

its easy for you to stand behind what you say....cause its rare you say anything.

edit: and even though you're a douche bag i am keeping my word not talking about ____football till next season. thats just 1 of many many examples.

RonMexico
03-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Actually it wasn't.

The seeds were not set until last night after the B12 tournament was over so your statement was an opinion, not fact.

Bam... correct.

degenerate_gambler
03-17-2008, 11:03 AM
what do you aggys think about your draw this first weekend?

if they can get by byu, they could pose a big problem for ucla.

Jimcs50
03-17-2008, 11:44 AM

freaking sucks, I would rather be an 11 seed like K St or Baylor. Aggies have UCLA virtually at home in 2nd game...wheraas Baylor and KSt as 11 seeds have 6 seed then 3 seed.....much better than 8 seed and 1 seed as opponents.

MajorMike
03-17-2008, 01:55 PM
its easy for you to stand behind what you say....cause its rare you say anything.

Yes, obviously, that's why you are always bitching about what I say. If I didn't say anything, you wouldn't have anything to say either because all you do is counter.

You and ronnie are like the really annoying kid on the play ground that just sits there and says, "I know you are, but what am I?"

Done with this thread, please continue to make a fool of yourself at my expense. Have the last word, we know you want it.

Doug Collins
03-17-2008, 02:59 PM

I think UCLA would murder the aggies in their current state. Love down low would foul out all three of our bigs, especially with the home cooking officiating. And Ucla can pressure our perimeter players which will then cause a plethora of turnovers. Honestly, I really don't see how the aggies could win unless they pull the greatest game of their lives out. I'd love to see them do it, but I really see no chance of it happening. That being said, they should beat BYU.

I'll still be rooting for them to do it! :elephant

Extra Stout
03-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Over their last 14 regular season games, BYU gave up an average of 60.3 ppg. Then they gave up 62 and 54 in the MWC tournament before UNLV exploded and put up 76 on them.

Doug Collins
03-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Over their last 14 regular season games, BYU gave up an average of 60.3 ppg. Then they gave up 62 and 54 in the MWC tournament before UNLV exploded and put up 76 on them.

Those mormon boys wont know what to do when they see DeAndre glaring at them.

johngateswhiteley
03-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Yes, obviously, that's why you are always bitching about what I say. If I didn't say anything, you wouldn't have anything to say either because all you do is counter.

You and ronnie are like the really annoying kid on the play ground that just sits there and says, "I know you are, but what am I?"

Done with this thread, please continue to make a fool of yourself at my expense. Have the last word, we know you want it.

there is a difference between bitching about what you say and asking for clarification. i do the latter...until you refuse. you're worthless and i'm glad you're not posting in this thread anymore. go work on your communication skills.

johngateswhiteley
03-17-2008, 09:58 PM

truthfully, i think A&M beats BYU by 7-8 and then loses to uchla by 4-5. i do think A&M will hang with uchla, but in the end, like the kansas game we will fall slightly behind. A&M is playing some pretty good ball at the moment so i suppose the sweet 16 isn't completely out of the question. and i don't think Love will give us as much trouble as some think...he may get his, but i don't think he'll destroy us and take away our bigs.

johngateswhiteley
03-20-2008, 09:00 PM
big win for Ags! now we have to get ready to beat uchla...which is a must since SC lost.

MajorMike
03-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Why was it a big win? You said yourself they were better than BYU and they should beat UCLA.

johngateswhiteley
03-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Why was it a big win? You said yourself they were better than BYU and they should beat UCLA.

every win in the tourney is a big win...ask Duke, but don't ask oklahomo state. anyway, i said don't be surprised if A&M beats uchla...don't put words in my mouth bitch.

MajorMike
03-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Don't be suprised if they don't.

johngateswhiteley
03-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Don't be suprised if they don't.

kill yourself you stupid white trash motherfucker...A&M had that game won. fucking free throws!!!

RonMexico
03-22-2008, 11:34 PM
I've said for 3 years they need to learn how to shoot FTs to win.

Brutalis
03-22-2008, 11:34 PM
john who is that scrawny blond in your avatar? klum?

Brutalis
03-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I've said for 3 years they need to learn how to shoot FTs to win.
Goes for both my teams. Spurs and the 'backs.

johngateswhiteley
03-22-2008, 11:51 PM
john who is that scrawny blond in your avatar? klum?

a starving girl in africa according to all the jealous wenches...though i am not sure how get a great booty and D-cups by starving yourself. in other words, she's hot as fuck and some people (girls) hate her for it.

MajorMike
03-23-2008, 12:14 AM
kill yourself you stupid white trash motherfucker...A&M had that game won. fucking free throws!!!

Yah, losing a game you deserved to win by missing free throws is almost as bad as losing a game you deserved to win by missing an extra point twice.

Brutalis
03-23-2008, 12:25 AM
a starving girl in africa according to all the jealous wenches...though i am not sure how get a great booty and D-cups by starving yourself. in other words, she's hot as fuck and some people (girls) hate her for it.
so it is klum i assume

johngateswhiteley
03-23-2008, 12:30 AM
so it is klum i assume

marisa miller.