PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Sonics - Nov. 25

timvp
11-26-2007, 12:44 AM
I know this was an early season game and it’s still November but I didn’t like how the Spurs played at all. An early season win is usually an early season win but this was a game the Spurs deserved to lose. They are lucky that the Seattle Supersonics are just a horrible team.

My problem was with the defense the Spurs played – or the lack thereof. Early in the game, the defense was downright horrible. The Sonics were given more open shots than the Spurs usually allow over the course of two weeks. The disappointing aspect of the poor defensively play was that the defense was soft. The Spurs were getting swallowed by screens or were going for steals instead of playing real defense. It was almost as if the Spurs felt bad early on for trying to defend against PJ Carlesimo's team, which is a rather weak excuse.

Yeah, I know it’s November and I know the Spurs won but I wasn’t happy at all with how they played.

As far as the Sonics are concerned, I wasn't impressed with them much either. Carlesimo has them playing almost zero defense. Instead, it’s like he instituted a cheap rip off version of a Phoenix Suns-type philosophy. Wally Szczerbiak got going but that was mostly off of isolation moves. Kevin Durant might have had his best game as a pro, however he was far from impressive. He scored mostly due to bad Spurs defense and he just doesn’t look nearly as smooth as I expected him to look at the NBA level.

-Tim Duncan early on was one of the few Spurs who came out ready to play. He got his offense rolling early and kept it rolling for much of the game. Truth be told, however, that many of his baskets were the result of atrocious defense on the part of Seattle. To Duncan’s credit, he brought good energy and he had a couple stretches where he played decent defense. Duncan was one of the better Spurs tonight but it wasn’t really anything to write home about.

-First of all, it was nice to see Manu Ginobili bounce back from a tough shooting outing with a great shooting night. His stroke looked as good as it’s been all season, especially from beyond the arc. On the other hand, Ginobili’s defense was horrendous for most of the night. In the first half, he was consistently out of position and wasn’t fighting around picks. As the game progressed, he was on Durant at times and Durant ate him up. This was by far Ginobili’s worst defensive game of the season and was compounded by his lack of effort on the boards. Luckily, most of it was correctable and the Spurs rarely have to put him on a top flight scorer.

-Tony Parker had a decent game. His shooting percentage was down and that was mostly due to him not attacking the basket enough. Parker dribbled too much today and wasn’t as aggressive with his play as he’s been in recent games. His passing was pretty good as he finished with seven assists and two turnovers. However, he got in stretches where he wasn’t running the offense well at all. Defensively, the players he was assigned to guard didn’t do much of anything but that was more because of their lack of skill and opportunity than anything Parker did on that end of the court.

-Bruce Bowen’s defense in the first half was horrible. It was the worst defense I’ve seen him play since Adam Morrison lit him up last year. The bad part was a lot of it was laziness and not beating his opponent to positions on the court. The main player who was doing the damage against him was Szczerbiak, who Bowen allowed to repeatedly get good looks. You have to give some credit to Szczerbiak but Bowen’s defense was a huge part of the problem. Luckily, Bowen bounced back in the second half and played better. Not very good, but better.

-Michael Finely hit some nice shots from the outside. However, he too was a problem defensively. That said, Finley isn’t expected to be much of a defender and with everyone else playing bad defense, it probably made him look worse than he really was. Offensively, you can’t complain about him scoring 11 points in 19 minutes on 3-for-3 shooting from beyond the three-point line.

-Fabricio Oberto had a decent enough game. His rotations were slow at times but he led the team in rebounding with nine. He took advantage of the porous Sonics defense to get some easy baskets around the rim. Overall, Oberto has played well as of late and this wasn’t a step back from that.

-Brent Barry had another good outing. He continues to be a spark off the bench. Eight points, two rebounds and two assists in 16 minutes is about all you can ask out of Barry. His defense wasn’t anything special but he was one of the few who brought energy to that end of the court.

-You know the Spurs defense is playing poorly when Matt Bonner is played big minutes because of his defense. But you have to give credit to Bonner who had been playing so bad as of late that he found himself out of the rotation. Tonight his energy defensively and on the boards was needed and Pop rewarded him with 23 minutes. Offensively, Bonner was efficient shooting the ball and even chipped in with three assists.

-Even Jacque Vaughn appeared a step slow defensively. Not that Vaughn is a very good defender but he usually gives good effort. That effort wasn’t overly apparent tonight. On the offensive end of the court, Vaughn was 0-for-1 from the field with three assists – the type of line you like to see out of Vaughn.

-I’m not sure exactly what is wrong with Francisco Elson. Either his eye is bothering him, he’s sick or his head is elsewhere but he gave a pretty pathetic effort in his limited time on the court. Hopefully there is a reason for it because Elson has now taken a dramatic fall from how well he was playing earlier in the season.

-Ime Udoka got an early look after Pop decided to bench Bowen in the first half due to Bowen’s lackluster defense. Udoka responded by allowing Szczerbiak to hit yet another shot. Hopefully one of these times Pop puts Udoka out there early in a game Udoka does something to earn minutes. As of now, Udoka hasn’t earned anything more than his spot on the bench.

-I don’t know whether to blame Pop or praise Pop. The Spurs playing too soft and nice against Carlesimo’s Sonics might be traced back to Pop who some contend struggles with putting personal relationships on the back burner and concentrating on winning games. Some point to that as reason why the Spurs lost to the Mavericks in 2006 (Avery Johnson) and almost lost to the Pistons in 2005 (Larry Brown). On the good side, Pop’s adjustment to send a double-team trap at Durant basically won the game. Durant wasn’t able to try to use his advantage over whoever was guarding him and instead was forced to do something he does painfully bad – pass the ball. Pop also benched players for poor defense and gave extended minutes to Bonner after Bonner brought some toughness to the lineup, so Pop handled that part of the game nicely. Bottomline though is the Spurs should never play this pathetically defensively, even in a game that barely counts and is against an old friend.

K-State Spur
11-26-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm not sure how much PJ can do when his roster is counting on so many poor defenders to be key cogs in the team's rotations.

I'm sorry Texas fans, I don't care who voted who first team all defense last year, KD was a bad defender in college and he's a bad defender in the pros.

T Park
11-26-2007, 12:54 AM
The Spurs playing too soft and nice against Carlesimo’s Sonics might be traced back to Pop who some contend struggles with putting personal relationships on the back burner and concentrating on winning games. Some point to that as reason why the Spurs lost to the Mavericks in 2006 (Avery Johnson) and almost lost to the Pistons in 2005 (Larry Brown).

Mike Brown's Cavaliers

oops....

G-Nob
11-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Starting a thread within a thread. Please get well soon Robert. Too much Bonner. He's hurting more than he's helping. Its pathetic how defenses exploit him every night and he fouls almost every time someone comes inside to him in the paint. Anyone but Bonner. I hope that sticks. Pastey better never see the light of day on minutes in the home stretch and if he does he better stay outside the 3 pt line. Curse management for extending this guy.

E20
11-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Timvp, what is harder to do? Grades or Game Thoguhts?

timvp
11-26-2007, 12:58 AM
Re: Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Sonics - Nov. 25
Timvp, what is harder to do? Grades or Game Thoguhts?

Huh?

:smokin

T Park
11-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Starting a thread within a thread. Please get well soon Robert. Too much Bonner. He's hurting more than he's helping. Its pathetic how defenses exploit him every night and he fouls almost every time someone comes inside to him in the paint. Anyone but Bonner. I hope that sticks. Pastey better never see the light of day on minutes in the home stretch and if he does he better stay outside the 3 pt line. Curse management for extending this guy

Yeah the 12 points 6 rebounds hustle he brought tonight is not needed whatso ever.

Genius :tu

whottt
11-26-2007, 01:00 AM
The only guy I've seen Pop go stupid against for what were probably personal reasons was AJ...the Pistons were the defending champions and were built to match up with the Spurs, not to mention the fact that Brown's teams are notoriously resilient in the post season.

I didn't watch this game, but I have read about 30 articles talking about how beloved PJ was by players on the team...perhaps they had more to do with it than Pop himself.

G-Nob
11-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Yeah the 12 points 6 rebounds hustle he brought tonight is not needed whatso ever.

Genius :tu

Quite simply, he's a defensive liability. Can't say the entire team wasnt this particular game, but it makes me cringe when tim is playing perfectly good defense on Chris Wilcox and Bonner comes over the back on a foul. It happens every F'n time with this guy. Every team exploits Bonner with match ups. Who's scared of him? Be a Bonner apologist all you want.

E20
11-26-2007, 01:07 AM
Quite simply, he's a defensive liability. Can't say the entire team wasnt this particular game, but it makes me cringe when tim is playing perfectly good defense on Chris Wilcox and Bonner comes over the back on a foul. It happens every F'n time with this guy. Every team exploits Bonner with match ups. Who's scared of him? Be a Bonner apologist all you want.
Kevin Garnett.

roycrikside
11-26-2007, 01:10 AM
I blame the schedule. When you play so many teams back-to-back that are all offense/no defense teams, eventually your stars get too comfortable playing at the fast pace and concentrate less on defense. And every team we play is worse than the last, so every game we get less concerned with defense, just thinking it's okay, we'll shoot our way to a victory.

This is why Pop feels more comfortable when we're scoring in the low 90s than the mid 100s.

I don't know how much better it's going to get against Sacramento tomorrow. The guys need to play a tough meat and potatoes kinda team like Detroit or Utah.

T Park
11-26-2007, 01:15 AM

Duncan and Bonner both hacked Wilcox on the arm.

Go ahead and be a blind Bonner hater.

T Park
11-26-2007, 01:16 AM
I blame the schedule. When you play so many teams back-to-back that are all offense/no defense teams, eventually your stars get too comfortable playing at the fast pace and concentrate less on defense. And every team we play is worse than the last, so every game we get less concerned with defense, just thinking it's okay, we'll shoot our way to a victory.

This is why Pop feels more comfortable when we're scoring in the low 90s than the mid 100s.

I don't know how much better it's going to get against Sacramento tomorrow. The guys need to play a tough meat and potatoes kinda team like Detroit or Utah.

It doesn't get better.

Sacramento tommarow, wednesday vs the Wizards.

ShoogarBear
11-26-2007, 01:18 AM
Tomorrow will be another tough game, because of Pop's soft spot for Beno.

T Park
11-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Im hoping for many and thousands of backcourt presses.

Gauranteed to ruin him for the rest of the season.

SpursFanFirst
11-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Tomorrow will be another tough game, because of Pop's soft spot for Beno.

:lol

G-Nob
11-26-2007, 01:23 AM
Duncan and Bonner both hacked Wilcox on the arm.

Go ahead and be a blind Bonner hater.

That isn't what I saw. But I won't battle blog you over it. Agree to disagree!

:wakeup

Walter Craparita
11-26-2007, 01:38 AM

On that play towards the end...WTF was he going to do...leave the guy open on the perimeter? He had to switch because the other defender got away from the guy with the ball.

Bonner has good games and yet after every "good game" people say "He finally had a good game." Makes no fucking sense.

HE'S NEVER GOING TO BE HORRY. PERIOD. But knock down your 3's, hustle on rebounding/defense, and it's all good.

With Beno gone, everyone wants to jump on the next player they can find to fill the spot imo.

Walter Craparita
11-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Also, the Spurs are so deep that they can get by 85% of the other teams without playing good defense.

We are in trouble if they keep winning but not improving on defense. Luckily, with a 4 time NBA champ team that obviously won't happen.

boutons_
11-26-2007, 01:52 AM
I noticed Tony was shooting his jumper getting way up, straight up, under control, pulling his legs up for a little more hang time (which he has started to do on his layups), and releasing right at top dead center. He usually has been shooting by weak girly-jumping and shooting forward rather than jumping straight up and shooting up.

His jumper just looked so different and much better tonight.

T Park
11-26-2007, 02:02 AM
That isn't what I saw. But I won't battle blog you over it. Agree to disagree!

Of course you didn't see it that way, cause you have a hatred for Bonner.

BeerIsGood!
11-26-2007, 02:03 AM
I thought it was a nice win for the Spurs. This is during this incredibly busy stretch with game after game and b2b after b2b, so I don't expect the defense to be there in playoff or finals form for some of these games. The Spurs were able to take a night off, have some fun, fill it up, play defense when they needed to to get and maintain a 7 to 12 pt lead, and get a road win. Give the Sonics credit. The Spurs didn't go balls out defensively against them but the Sonics moved the ball fairly well at times and knocked down looks at a high clip - some contested fairly well and some not. They played one of their best games of the season and they played hard, the difference was the Spurs have the offense going at a level to dispose of this level of team with only playing defense in spots. They have to get that defense ramped up come March/April, but I have no doubt that they will do that. The question is whether their offense will be this sharp and shooting this good at that time too, because that will make them nearly unbeatable in a 7 game series no matter who they play.

gospursgooo
11-26-2007, 02:09 AM
I think the original intention was to let the SuperSonics win. Poor PJ!

xamila rey
11-26-2007, 02:22 AM
Thanks Timvp. Nice thoughts, i agree that the defense was horrible.
I also dont understand why Elson cant catch a ball.
I hope he gets better, because we need his athletism.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-26-2007, 02:37 AM
Nice work timvp.

And good post, BeerIsGood, I agree. :tu

However, I saw the second half, and something I noticed was that we don't seem to know how to get inside on a zone. Thankfully we have a great 3pt shooting team, so zone busting playing outside isn't very difficult, but on a night when the 3s aren't falling I worry about us vs a zone. Tonight TP overdribbled against the zone and there weren't enough cutters. You have to throw 2-3 dummy cutters through a zone to get them out of shape and create a space down low, but we didn't do that at all.

Anyway, things aren't too bad when you can beat a lesser team like this and still say there's a mile of improvement yet to come (which there is on D, certainly).

Good times. :smokin :D

AFBlue
11-26-2007, 08:15 AM
HE'S NEVER GOING TO BE HORRY. PERIOD. But knock down your 3's, hustle on rebounding/defense, and it's all good.

I think you hit the nail right on the head.

Because Bonner can hit the outside shot (suprisingly adept from mid-range) and hustles his ass off, everyone wants to build him up as the "Horry Replacement".

I think it's apparent after watching him play these extended minutes that is not the case. He just flat out doesn't have the athleticism (underrated characteristic of Horry) and the clutchness (if that's a word) of Horry.

So please....let it go.

As the poster quoted above says, stop trying to compare Bonner to Horry because he'll never live up. Just appreciate him for what he brings.

Side Note: Stop billing Udoka as the "Bowen Replacement" too....because he'll also fall short of that expectation. I just hope he can hit open jumpshots enough to matter on this team.

AFBlue
11-26-2007, 08:16 AM
I’m not sure exactly what is wrong with Francisco Elson. Either his eye is bothering him, he’s sick or his head is elsewhere but he gave a pretty pathetic effort in his limited time on the court. Hopefully there is a reason for it because Elson has now taken a dramatic fall from how well he was playing earlier in the season.

He sucks...badly.

MajorMike
11-26-2007, 09:18 AM
I agree on the general idea behind the thread - the Spurs deserved to lose this one the way they played. That being said, wouldn't you rather win a couple you were supposed to lose instead of losing a couple you could have won (hello, Dallas losing to Indy with no O'Neal on a barfed inbounds pass and Dallas being up on the Bucks with 3 mins to go)?

SAGambler
11-26-2007, 09:54 AM
The way the Spurs offense is going right now, I think they feel they only need to play about 4 or 5 minutes of shutdown defense during the game. A couple of minutes like the start of the 3rd to get a couple of turnovers and get the lead and then the last 2 or 3 minutes of the 4th to finish it out.

I look for some full court pressing tonight. Try to get Beno flustered and some better D throughout the game.

SpurYank
11-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Yup. You are my Spurs fans alright: "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"
Oh, woe is us.

boutons_
11-26-2007, 11:03 AM
The Spurs aren't going to give tremendous effort that defense requires, not for 48 minutes/game.

At least the Spurs know how to play defense, play it more often and better than almost any team, rather than just pretending and talking defense, like the Suns.

When the Spurs need defense, it will be there.

Cry Havoc
11-26-2007, 11:16 AM
The Spurs are probably just tired of playing top-flight defense for 48 minutes and blowing teams out by 20+ by halftime. Other teams are playing so sloppy that we have stopped respecting them.

telecomguy
11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
I noticed Tony was shooting his jumper getting way up, straight up, under control, pulling his legs up for a little more hang time (which he has started to do on his layups), and releasing right at top dead center. He usually has been shooting by weak girly-jumping and shooting forward rather than jumping straight up and shooting up.

His jumper just looked so different and much better tonight.

Still not very consistent, although to his credit, he is not completely shying away from hitting big jumpers late in close matches when in the past he would freeze and not attempt a wide-open jumper.

Is there a site where we can see what TP's field goal % is on jumpers? I suspect it's not that great when compared to other PG's in the league.

nfg3
11-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks timvp for your thoughts. I was concerned about the D as most others are but realize that it's early. Much room for improvement with plenty of time to get that done.

RROS had a good point about our cutters/lack of movement. I noticed the overdribbling myself and wondered where did our ball/player movement go. At times we moved it well and then it just kinda went away. We won't be hitting the 3's at that clip on a regular basis so we had better focus on movement.

All in all it was a nice win with plenty of ammo for Pop to use in the film sessions. I have all the faith in these guys to work on the D so when it's deep in the season they are clicking on all cylinders. These guys will become the MACHINE we all know and love.

ShoogarBear
11-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Still not very consistent, although to his credit, he is not completely shying away from hitting big jumpers late in close matches when in the past he would freeze and not attempt a wide-open jumper.

Is there a site where we can see what TP's field goal % is on jumpers? I suspect it's not that great when compared to other PG's in the league.www.nba.com/hotspots

FYI, Tony is shooting .358 on all non-layups. If you take out three-point attempts he is shooting .359. That's not as good as he has been the last couple of years.

For the sake of comparison, Manu is shooting .412 on all non-layups. However, if you take out three-point attempts he is shooting .343.

Over the past couple of years, Tony has consistently shot equal or higher than Manu on jumpers if you exclude three-pointers. This has been covered before in other threads.

1Parker1
11-26-2007, 03:09 PM
So in summation: Parker rocks and is clearly a better basketball player than Manu. :stirpot:

:devil

telecomguy
11-26-2007, 03:15 PM
www.nba.com/hotspots

FYI, Tony is shooting .358 on all non-layups. If you take out three-point attempts he is shooting .359. That's not as good as he has been the last couple of years.

For the sake of comparison, Manu is shooting .412 on all non-layups. However, if you take out three-point attempts he is shooting .343.

Over the past couple of years, Tony has consistently shot equal or higher than Manu on jumpers if you exclude three-pointers. This has been covered before in other threads.

yes but Manu also is not a good mid-range jump shooter so why compare TP to Manu?

What is the % on non 3pt. jumpers for the other dominant PG's like Deron, Paul, Billups, Nash, Kidd, etc.?

.358 average on all non-layups confirms what I have been seeing with my own eyes this year....that Parker has been missing a LOT of easy jumpers. I don't have the stats but I have to believe that this is a very poor number when compared to some of the top PG's who almost in all cases are also very good 3 point shooter unlike TP.

TP is still predominantly a slasher, penetrator and for someone who drives so hard so often, one thing that puzzles me is why he doesn't get more fouls.

Anyway the good thing is that he is still improving and the season is still young and i see some good things coming out of him, especially in terms of his reduced turnover and better judgements/ball movement.

Kori Ellis
11-26-2007, 03:21 PM
yes but Manu also is not a good mid-range jump shooter so why compare TP to Manu?

What is the % on non 3pt. jumpers for the other dominant PG's like Deron, Paul, Billups, Nash, Kidd, etc.?

I'm not going to go thru and calculate them all, but it looks like Deron is 38%, Paul is 31% on midrange shots. There aren't many good midrange shooters in the league.

And Jason Kidd is only shooting 36% overall this season, and has never shot even 45% overall in his entire career.

ducks
11-26-2007, 03:25 PM

wow his three point shooting is better then anything

ShoogarBear
11-26-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm not going to go thru and calculate them all, but it looks like Deron is 38%, Paul is 31% on midrange shots. There aren't many good midrange shooters in the league.Yup. They really need to do automatic cumulative zone % calculations in hotzone (among the 9,839,394,394 other improvement nba.com should make).

Anyway, if you look at hotzone numbers since TP went away from the three-pointers, you can put his FG% inside the arc up against probably just about anyone you want to name. Yes, it could get better (especially this year), but for the past couple of seasons, when he has an open J in the fourth, I expect it to go in just as much as I expect Manu's or any other elite player's.

Solid D
11-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Trapping with a big (Bonner) helped the Spurs gain control of the game. The Sonics folded like a lawn chair in the last 2 minutes.

telecomguy
11-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Yup. They really need to do automatic cumulative zone % calculations in hotzone (among the 9,839,394,394 other improvement nba.com should make).

Anyway, if you look at hotzone numbers since TP went away from the three-pointers, you can put his FG% inside the arc up against probably just about anyone you want to name. Yes, it could get better (especially this year), but for the past couple of seasons, when he has an open J in the fourth, I expect it to go in just as much as I expect Manu's or any other elite player's.

except for Nash.

I sweare when I see Nash go for 2 or 3 point jumper, unless he is under extreme pressure or tight defense, it always seems go in. His % must be close to 50% in mid-range and definitely over 40% in 3pt range. I believe this is why it's so hard to guard Nash because you simply can't leave him alone but if you run at him, he will dribble penetrate or make a precision pass to an open player.

ShoogarBear
11-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Nash is the exception, which is why I didn't mention him. I haven't confirmed this, but he might have the best mid-range FG% in the game.

telecomguy
11-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Nash is the exception, which is why I didn't mention him. I haven't confirmed this, but he might have the best mid-range FG% in the game.

offensively, Nash is untouchable. No ifs, buts or ands. That Phonix team would be an average to below -average team without Nash, even with Amare.

ShoogarBear
11-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Just crunched them for Nash:

this year on mid-range shots = 38/74 = .514
last year = 189/372 = .509

which is just sick. That's how guys like Walt Frazier and Gervin used to shoot back in the day when everyone's mid-range games were more developed and defenses weren't as intense.

telecomguy
11-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Just crunched them for Nash:

this year on mid-range shots = 38/74 = .514
last year = 189/372 = .509

which is just sick. That's how guys like Walt Frazier used to shoot back in the day when everyone's mid-range games were more developed and defenses weren't as intense.

like i said, he rarely misses when he has an open jumper......usually he only misses because time is running out or he has a tough defender crawling all over him when he can't find anyone else open or the play breaks down.

telecomguy
11-26-2007, 03:44 PM
like i said, he rarely misses when he has an open jumper......usually he only misses because time is running out or he has a tough defender crawling all over him when he can't find anyone else open or the play breaks down.

also when tony is open for jumper and shoots it, he is WIDE OPEN as the defenders actually will slide under the screen and dare him to shoot it. Very rarely would defenders do that with Nash as they know he would kill them with jumper after jumper unless they force it out of his hands.

mookie2001
11-26-2007, 03:50 PM
timvp didnt you say that durant was gonna be like darius miles?

ShoogarBear
11-26-2007, 03:59 PM
also when tony is open for jumper and shoots it, he is WIDE OPEN as the defenders actually will slide under the screen and dare him to shoot it. Very rarely would defenders do that with Nash as they know he would kill them with jumper after jumper unless they force it out of his hands.Nash gets as many open jumpers as anyone in the league because of the Suns' style. How many times do you really see somebody in his face? Which is what makes what Bowen does to him so special.

As for Tony, the reason he gets jumpers is because teams know he will kill them in the paint. The fact is that he still hits them about on par with other point guards, despite perceptions.

MoSpur
11-26-2007, 04:48 PM
I have more confidence in Parker when he is about to shoot a mid-range jumper than what I had a few seasons ago. He has improved, but he is nowhere near Nash. That guy can shot.

telecomguy
11-26-2007, 04:51 PM
I have more confidence in Parker when he is about to shoot a mid-range jumper than what I had a few seasons ago. He has improved, but he is nowhere near Nash. That guy can shot.

5. Steve Nash, Suns guard -- Some people ask what's wrong with the Suns, but they have a great record (11-2), and in my view he's the whole reason that they have it. Still hasn't missed a free throw this year (36-for-36) and is shooting 55 percent from the field.

bdictjames
11-26-2007, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=xamila rey]
I also dont understand why Elson cant catch a ball.
QUOTE]
Was he wearing his mask?

Then, he's affected by it, or just thinks so. :lol

bigfundamental21
11-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Great points, timvp. I agree the defense sucked azz, but thankfully we were draining threes left and right in the first just to keep up. In the second half we started out the first few minutes with better D, but then went back to the poor showing from the first half. I don't know what was up with Bowen. He definitely dogged it last night. In the end, a win is a win, no matter how you get it. Lots of room for improvement. We'll see how they respond tonight.

Que Gee
11-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Kevin Durant might have had his best game as a pro, however he was far from impressive. He scored mostly due to bad Spurs defense and he just doesn’t look nearly as smooth as I expected him to look at the NBA level.

I don't necessarily agree with your view of Durant, but I saw this on Bill Simmons site this AM. Thought it was interesting.

"Note to all the media people picking apart Kevin Durant even though he's 19 years old and he's been in the league for exactly four weeks: According to this Seattle Times feature, Durant lives with his mom and plays video games with 10 year old kids, and yet, we're seeing articles with headlines like "Analyzing Durant's Early Struggles." Really? Did you expect Durant to light it up right away as a 19 year old kid playing out of position on a terrible team that doesn't have a single decent point guard? We're not giving him a couple of months to adjust? Talk to me on April 1st."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2003980398_durant29.html

ShoogarBear
11-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Seeing Durant struggle should just make everyone appreciate how fricking amazing LeBron really is.