PDA

View Full Version : Bee: Udrih struggled in San Antonio

Bruno
11-26-2007, 05:14 AM
http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/520379.html

Udrih struggled in San Antonio
A string of injuries derailed the point guard's progress.

By Sam Amick
Last Updated 12:10 am PST Monday, November 26, 2007

The injuries have healed, but the wounds have not.

Beno Udrih talking about his time in San Antonio, the large majority of it spent in the proverbial doghouse of coach Gregg Popovich? It's love-hate in every way, respect and appreciation coupled with resentment and confusion.

Udrih, the 25-year-old Slovenian whose career stalled during the Spurs' drive for two titles in his three seasons there, says he has no problems with the coach known as "Pop" just before pointing out a few of his complaints. He tells a riveting tale of the 2005 NBA Finals Game 7 – how he was sure his heart stopped before Tim Duncan saved the day and the Spurs rallied for the title – yet will never understand how his own role in the series disappeared midway through what was truly the beginning of the end.

He hears the relayed words of Popovich, who said recently about his former player that "when he did get opportunities, he seemed to be injured," and has had enough.

"It's not like I got hurt for nothing," Udrih says while dining at Chris Webber's Center Court restaurant near Arco Arena. "Stuff happens. Sorry that I tried to get ready for training camp." Not just once, but three times.

Before his second season, there was the twisted knee suffered while playing with the Slovenian national team that forced him to miss training camp. It was the continuation of his downturn, as the 28th overall pick in 2004 had seen his role as Tony Parker's backup disappear in the most meaningful moments as he was benched after Game 4 of the Finals. The ominous signs continued into the offseason, when the Spurs signed Nick Van Exel and the veteran took the backup role while Udrih went from being featured in the Rookie-Sophomore game on All-Star Weekend as a rookie to playing in just 54 games in Year No. 2.

Before his third season, Udrih pulled a hamstring doing wind sprints just before camp in another setback. Point guard Jacque Vaughn was signed, too, with Udrih expecting to give up minimal minutes but eventually losing the backup role once again. He even said Popovich promised him playing time "no matter what," that the role eventually held by Vaughn would be that of a defense-first, third point guard. Udrih said he turned down an "amazing" offer from the Barcelona team in the Euroleague because of the promise but lost his job to Vaughn after 30 games.

Then came the final ailment, the broken finger suffered by Udrih just three days into training camp this season that came some three weeks before he was traded to Minnesota, waived, and signed by the Kings on Oct. 27.

"I remember (the Spurs) had a tipoff lunch (with season-ticket holders), and (Popovich) was like, 'This guy doesn't do nothing the whole summer, and the minute he comes back he breaks his finger,' " Udrih said. "What do you mean I did nothing? I went home for one month and a week, and from Monday to Thursday every week, I was in there lifting, getting better, getting stronger, trying to be ready again. Like I wanted to break my finger? ... I didn't appreciate him saying I didn't do nothing the whole summer."

Nor did he feel appreciated.

In that sense, Udrih would swap his old scenery for the new setting every time – even though there's no talk of titles in this town. With the Kings, he has freedom again, not to mention playing time. He's averaging 33.4 minutes for a group that so desperately needs him, with the thumb injury to Mike Bibby suffered just before the regular season leaving Kings coach Reggie Theus in quite a bind.

Since returning from his broken finger, Udrih has averaged 12.7 points, 4.3 assists and two turnovers, shooting 42.5 percent from the field while hitting just 5 of 21 three-pointers.

The hard part for him and them, though, is that their virtual training camp together continues even though the schedule says this is Game No. 14 tonight. Not until Sunday's practice had Udrih run a full-speed, five-on-five scrimmage with his new teammates.

"We struggled to get guys shots without having that point guard who can really get things done," Theus said. "Beno is what we need in a lot of ways to help us get better. I would like for him to push (the tempo) harder at times, but I think that in the open floor, making decisions, getting into the guts of the defense, he's done a great job."

Orien Greene was the first player to be given the job before Udrih. But the third-year player lasted just two games in the starting point-guard spot, with Theus and his staff frowning on his point-guard skills before he was waived shortly thereafter.

Francisco Garcνa and Quincy Douby – for all their offensive skills – don't qualify as true point guards, either. It's a distinction that Udrih understands as well as anyone.

Udrih's 30-year-old brother, Samo Udrih, plays for Club Baloncesto Granada in Spain, and his younger brother describes him as a shooting guard who is sometimes forced to play the point. Udrih, on the other hand, said he has always seen himself at the point.

"From when I was like 12, 13, I was always playing point guard," said Udrih, who grew up in the Slovenian town of Sempeter where he estimates there are approximately 5,000 people. "For a year or two, I played (shooting guard in the Slovenian League)... and they would put me in the two position to score the ball, but I still saw myself as a point guard."

He only wishes Popovich saw him as he saw himself. Udrih said the Spurs' coach was consistently requesting that he play more aggressively, though Popovich partially blamed himself when asked why Udrih's time in San Antonio wasn't more successful.

"When a player's (role) is jumping around that much, one place you have to look is the coach," Popovich said. "I think I did a poor job of creating an environment where he could get better and better.

"He's a natural at the position. I just wish I would've done a better job with him. It just didn't work out."

timvp
11-26-2007, 05:20 AM
:rollin

I had to split this article out into its own thread. Once I stop laughing I will reply.

Slomo
11-26-2007, 05:23 AM
:corn:

some_user86
11-26-2007, 05:23 AM
Vasileios Spanoulis 2.0

Kori Ellis
11-26-2007, 05:32 AM
"I remember (the Spurs) had a tipoff lunch (with season-ticket holders), and (Popovich) was like, 'This guy doesn't do nothing the whole summer, and the minute he comes back he breaks his finger,' " Udrih said. "What do you mean I did nothing? I went home for one month and a week, and from Monday to Thursday :lol every week, I was in there lifting, getting better, getting stronger, trying to be ready again. Like I wanted to break my finger? ... I didn't appreciate him saying I didn't do nothing the whole summer."

Don't ruin your weekend party schedule by working out. :lol

RADECK
11-26-2007, 05:44 AM
Udrih's brother isn't 30, but 28. He'll get just fine in Kings uniform.

timvp
11-26-2007, 05:47 AM
The injuries have healed, but the wounds have not.Poor choice of words with regards to Beno. There's like a 40% chance Beno finds a way to get injured before the game tonight.

Beno Udrih talking about his time in San Antonio, the large majority of it spent in the proverbial doghouse of coach Gregg Popovich? It's love-hate in every way, respect and appreciation coupled with resentment and confusion.:dramaquee

Udrih, the 25-year-old Slovenian whose career stalled during the Spurs' drive for two titles in his three seasons there, says he has no problems with the coach known as "Pop" just before pointing out a few of his complaints. He tells a riveting tale of the 2005 NBA Finals Game 7 – how he was sure his heart stopped before Tim Duncan saved the day and the Spurs rallied for the title – yet will never understand how his own role in the series disappeared midway through what was truly the beginning of the end.He will never understand? Seriously?

He didn't see himself getting owned by Lindsey Hunter every time he brought the ball up the court? Beno was horrendous in that series.

He hears the relayed words of Popovich, who said recently about his former player that "when he did get opportunities, he seemed to be injured," and has had enough.That's true. Every time Pop gave Beno a shot, Beno got injured. It never failed.

And it's not Pop's fault, either. Beno was injury prone in Europe. He's been with the Kings for a couple weeks and has already missed playing time with an injury. Beno is just an injury prone player, to put it nicely.

"It's not like I got hurt for nothing," Udrih says while dining at Chris Webber's Center Court restaurant near Arco Arena. "Stuff happens. Sorry that I tried to get ready for training camp." What a little sarcastic cry baby.

Not just once, but three times.Actually it was all four times. He was hurt going into his rookie season's training camp and got hurt again at the end of training camp.

Before his second season, there was the twisted knee suffered while playing with the Slovenian national team that forced him to miss training camp. It was the continuation of his downturn, as the 28th overall pick in 2004 had seen his role as Tony Parker's backup disappear in the most meaningful moments as he was benched after Game 4 of the Finals. The ominous signs continued into the offseason, when the Spurs signed Nick Van Exel and the veteran took the backup role while Udrih went from being featured in the Rookie-Sophomore game on All-Star Weekend as a rookie to playing in just 54 games in Year No. 2.The Nick Van Exel excuse again :rolleyes

Everyone forgets that Pop gave the backup job back to Beno at the end of the regular season ... until Beno got injured yet again. It wasn't like Pop didn't give Beno every chance in the world to win that backup spot.

Before his third season, Udrih pulled a hamstring doing wind sprints just before camp in another setback. Point guard Jacque Vaughn was signed, too, with Udrih expecting to give up minimal minutes but eventually losing the backup role once again. He even said Popovich promised him playing time "no matter what," that the role eventually held by Vaughn would be that of a defense-first, third point guard. Udrih said he turned down an "amazing" offer from the Barcelona team in the Euroleague because of the promise but lost his job to Vaughn after 30 games.Beno sucked and got beat out fairly by Vaughn. "No matter what" doesn't mean you can shoot like 30% and not guard anyone.

Then came the final ailment, the broken finger suffered by Udrih just three days into training camp this season that came some three weeks before he was traded to Minnesota, waived, and signed by the Kings on Oct. 27.

"I remember (the Spurs) had a tipoff lunch (with season-ticket holders), and (Popovich) was like, 'This guy doesn't do nothing the whole summer, and the minute he comes back he breaks his finger,' " Udrih said. "What do you mean I did nothing? I went home for one month and a week, and from Monday to Thursday every week, I was in there lifting, getting better, getting stronger, trying to be ready again. Like I wanted to break my finger? ... I didn't appreciate him saying I didn't do nothing the whole summer."
:lmao :lmao

I don't know what's funnier:

1) Pop's joke about Beno.

2) Beno not being able to laugh at himself.

3) Beno claiming to workout Monday through Thursday (what happened the other half of the week?)

(Well, actually, we know what he did the other half of the week.)

:danceclub

He only wishes Popovich saw him as he saw himself. Udrih said the Spurs' coach was consistently requesting that he play more aggressively, though Popovich partially blamed himself when asked why Udrih's time in San Antonio wasn't more successful.

"When a player's (role) is jumping around that much, one place you have to look is the coach," Popovich said. "I think I did a poor job of creating an environment where he could get better and better.

"He's a natural at the position. I just wish I would've done a better job with him. It just didn't work out."I agree that Beno has a lot of natural ability but I'm not sure what else Pop could have done. And really, I'm sure Pop knows he tried everything. In fact, Pop has never given a player as many chances and as he gave Beno. Pop tried repeatedly to get Beno to succeed here.

And after all that, Beno comes across as a bitter b!tch.

I want the Spurs to smash his whiny azz tomorrow :hungry:

some_user86
11-26-2007, 05:49 AM
He tells a riveting tale of the 2005 NBA Finals Game 7 – how he was sure his heart stopped before Tim Duncan saved the day and the Spurs rallied for the title – yet will never understand how his own role in the series disappeared midway through what was truly the beginning of the end.

Really, Beno? He must be incredibly stupid if this is true.

EDIT: TimVP beat me to it.

L.I.T
11-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Some days I forget what type of player Beno is and go...man all that talent and the Spurs just couldn't make it work, too bad.

Then I read an interview with him and think...what a fucking waste of time. This guy has been in the league three years and he still doesn't get it. He was in the perfect situation, a practically guaranteed back-up job and it seemed that he always found a way to snatch a spot on the bench from the jaws of playing time.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-26-2007, 08:14 AM
And we're meant to cry for a point guard who can't bring the ball up? :dramaquee

Oh, Beno... Pop gave you every chance in the world to succeed and you failed at every turn. There was some bad luck, but at the end of the day not enough desire. You could do with a little growing up.

I hope they trap him tomorrow and exploit his weakness... although I sorta don't because he's on my Dynasty team. :lol

Dex
11-26-2007, 08:22 AM

http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com/temp/wahmbulance.jpg

exstatic
11-26-2007, 08:42 AM
I hope they put on a full court trap on his lazy, bad ballhandling azz.

yeahone
11-26-2007, 09:21 AM
so glad he not in a spurs unifrom anymore...poor beno burning all his bridges

Obstructed_View
11-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Beno trained four days a week for five whole weeks in preparation for the season. He probably went for over an hour sometimes. What do they want from him? Blood?

Kobayagi
11-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Beno should do himself a favor and stop giving statements and interviews for the media.

ducks
11-26-2007, 09:31 AM
I am thinking fall court traps are coming today

VaSpursFan
11-26-2007, 09:36 AM
what a whiner. full court presses and traps should be on the menu for the game!

GoSpurs21
11-26-2007, 09:59 AM
while I dont appreciate what Beno is saying these days, it's funny how some want to re-write history. Pop stunted Beno's growth by consistantly going to washed up NVE over him. I guess the NVE backers will always see the truth differently.

CubanMustGo
11-26-2007, 10:25 AM
For all his faults (and they were legion) at least NVE would play through hangnail injuries as well as lightly abraded skin contusions.

MoSpur
11-26-2007, 10:37 AM
I am anxious to see tonight's game to see how Beno does against Parker.

Extra Stout
11-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Popovich did not have reasonable expectations. Beno's game is an art form, and you can't expect the artist to perform when he is not 100%. Would you expect Michelangelo to sculpt with a bruised hand?

SpursFanFirst
11-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Poor Beno...so "misunderstood."

Didn't I read that he's listed as "day-to-day" with a leg injury?

easjer
11-26-2007, 12:36 PM
This thread is awesome.

Those comments just reinforce that Beno is a crybaby bitch. I won't begin to pretend that the Spurs weren't culpable for some delay in his development (cough *NVE* cough), but ultimately, he was his own worst enemy. He truly doesn't get what the problems in his game were, or how he brought his bench time on himself. He whines that he didn't get playing time when he was guaranteed it, but he did nothing to earn it.

And everytime I think back to the quote about the Spurs being prejudiced against European players, I remember just how much I loathed him before he got shipped out.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-26-2007, 01:15 PM
The Monday through Thursday part just cracks me up.

I'd of slapped him upside his head for that comment alone.

dbestpro
11-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Just a casual observation, but most of the posts here seem to be more crybaby than anything Beno has said.

2centsworth
11-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Pop should put Bowen on Beno. hahahaha

BeerIsGood!
11-26-2007, 02:05 PM
PRESS THE HELL OUT OF THIS BITCH TONIGHT!! I've never wanted the Spurs to flat out decimate another player on the court as much as I want them to turnover Beno tonight. Make his ass cry.

ChumpDumper
11-26-2007, 02:08 PM
while I dont appreciate what Beno is saying these days, it's funny how some want to re-write history. Pop stunted Beno's growth by consistantly going to washed up NVE over him. I guess the NVE backers will always see the truth differently.We're not even NVE backers. Beno kept losing his spot to Nick because he kept getting injured and, when he wasn't injured, couldn't bring the ball up the court against D-League power forwards.

2centsworth
11-26-2007, 02:11 PM
one thing I will say is that Nick not so quick was a hair worse than Beno.

ChumpDumper
11-26-2007, 02:12 PM
one thing I will say is that Nick not so quick was a hair worse than Beno.Beno never proved that.

Spurs Brazil
11-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Beno sucks

I'm tired of all his excuses.

He could bring the ball to midcourt against the Pistons and he doesn't know why he lost his job

Poor Beno :flipoff

smrattler
11-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Unlike most of you guys, I don't want TP making a fool of Beno. I want Washington to slap on that full court press and pick his pocket a half dozen times to make it crystal clear to Beno why he is not here anymore. That would be all I would need for Christmas.

daslicer
11-26-2007, 02:44 PM
You guys all gotta to admit that for a regular season game this game will be exciting. Beno's words makes a useless regular season game against a lottery more exciting then it normally would be. Give Beno credit for that he made a pointless regular season game more entertaining then it would be. I'm look forward to seeing how he responds tonight win or lose it should be exciting to watch.

Bruno
11-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't think Spurs will try to have a kind of "payback" against Beno tonight. He wasn't hated by his teammates, I don't see why they will be that motivated against Beno.
If Spurs do a full court press defense on Beno, the goal will be to win the game and not to give a lesson to Beno.

baseline bum
11-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Pop should put Bowen on Beno. hahahaha

LMAO! That was miy first thought after reading the article, and I would have posted it if you hadn't. I wanna see at least one Bowen + Udoka trap on his china-doll ass.

E20
11-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Beno is a little bitch.

ShoogarBear
11-26-2007, 03:52 PM
while I dont appreciate what Beno is saying these days, it's funny how some want to re-write history. Pop stunted Beno's growth by consistantly going to washed up NVE over him. I guess the NVE backers will always see the truth differently.The only one rewriting history is Beno.

There are no NVE backers. There are people who say that Beno didn't take advantage of his chances, and there are poeple who say that Beno should have been given even more chances, but there are no NVE backers.

E20
11-26-2007, 03:53 PM
I actually liked NVE. :lol He was a boss.

sendman
11-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Beno ruined Hilary Duff.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I hope they put on a full court trap on his lazy, bad ballhandling azz.

I honestly don't think I would stop laughing for days if the Spurs just did that for a quarter or so.

sendman
11-26-2007, 04:11 PM
I honestly don't think I would stop laughing for days if the Spurs just did that for a quarter or so.
Really? And what do you do for living? Do you go out? Any friends?.....Naaaahhh!

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-26-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm surprised Beno hasn't blamed the ball coming loose on during the Finals on Manu's magnets or something.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Really? And what do you do for living? Do you go out? Any friends?.....Naaaahhh!

Shouldn't you be preparing for the ABA training camp, Samo?

ShoogarBear
11-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Really? And what do you do for living? Do you go out? Any friends?.....Naaaahhh!True, Blaze needs to get out more often. Perhaps you can invite him to one of the weekly Friends of Beno meetings.

duncan228
11-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Beno has got to keep his mouth shut. After the 2 interviews the past couple of months you would think he'd have learned.

He's got some talent. He should shut up and let his game speak for him. He wasn't a good fit in SA, let it go. He has 2 rings for his time spent here. If he's going to talk that should be enough for him to say nothing but good things about SA.

I thought Pop saying that he wished he could have done better for him was incredibly generous.

ChumpDumper
11-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Hey, I'm the one with no job or friends. Get it straight, Slovie!

sendman
11-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Shouldn't you be preparing for the ABA training camp, Samo?
I trained last monday and tuesday for 27 minutes each day. I AM READY!
:p:

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-26-2007, 04:20 PM
True, Blaze needs to get out more often. Perhaps you can invite him to one of the weekly Friends of Beno meetings.

Batman already gave me the hookup on VIP fliers.

Obstructed_View
11-26-2007, 04:37 PM
NVE pwned Jalen Rose.

polandprzem
11-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't think Spurs will try to have a kind of "payback" against Beno tonight. He wasn't hated by his teammates, I don't see why they will be that motivated against Beno.
If Spurs do a full court press defense on Beno, the goal will be to win the game and not to give a lesson to Beno.

I think Pop will harase him tonight, it will be fun to watch. ( hopefully they will torrent it).

No matter if the colleuges hated him or not - this will be a must win, must show D (after not so good defensive effort in Seattle) game. And press Beno from start to finish.

timvp
11-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Pop should put Bowen on Beno. hahahahaThat would be disgusting. If Pop put Bowen on Beno for the whole game, I'd seriously think Beno would score under five points with at minimum seven turnovers.

Too bad they have Kevin Martin and Ron Artest to deal with. :depressed

Slomo
11-26-2007, 05:17 PM
We need to calm down a little. Bowen on Beno? That's like going hunting for quail with a howitzer.

Assuming that it's going to be Tony on Beno, I think it's more than enough.

sendman
11-26-2007, 06:17 PM
No let's put Bowen on him. Bruce is dirty, he will injure him with ease.

Slomo
11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
:stirpot:

ShoogarBear
11-26-2007, 06:19 PM
No let's put Bowen on him. Bruce is dirty, he will injure him with ease.Putting Eva on him has a 25% chance of injuring him.

sendman
11-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Putting Eva on him has a 25% chance of injuring him.
Oh Eva HURT ME SOME MORE!

T Park
11-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Glad to see the ones of us who always said NVE was the third stringer, is backed up by TIMVP.

I see some other idiots, still think Beno's GROWTH was hurt by NVE.

Give me a fuckin break.

romsho
11-26-2007, 07:31 PM
"This guy doesn't do nothing the whole summer, then he breaks his finger".
Pop

It's fun just to hear Pop quoted using improper english. The Monday thru thursday workout schedule is right up there though.

Cherry
11-26-2007, 07:51 PM
wtf Beno GET OVER YOURSELF!!! :wtf