PDA

View Full Version : Manu will not make the all-star team

rob5
11-26-2007, 10:49 AM
While so far this season it looks like the big 3 should make the all star team, Manu will probably not make it. Unfortunately it is very unlikely for non starters to make it even when putting up decent numbers. Unlike Duncan and Parker, he would have to put up outrageous numbers to even be considered. I guess you can add that to the many sacrifices Manu has made for this team.

ducks
11-26-2007, 10:56 AM
manu will make it if he keeps this up

urunobili
11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
why don;t you start a poll on this?

boutons_
11-26-2007, 10:59 AM
If Manu doesn't win a beauty context, WGAF?

All-star voting is the NBA $pandering to the $public, bread and circuses.

Real all-stars would be selected by players and coaches.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-26-2007, 11:10 AM
While so far this season it looks like the big 3 should make the all star team, Manu will probably not make it. Unfortunately it is very unlikely for non starters to make it even when putting up decent numbers. Unlike Duncan and Parker, he would have to put up outrageous numbers to even be considered. I guess you can add that to the many sacrifices Manu has made for this team.

Somehow, that fact doesn't bother me, I don't know why...

TDMVPDPOY
11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
he make it over parker

parker will have trouble tryin to beat out guys like deron and paul for the reserve spots...

spurschick
11-26-2007, 11:39 AM
He might not make it as a starter via All-Star balloting, but he has a chance to make it as a reserve via the coaches and GMs.

samikeyp
11-26-2007, 11:42 AM
That's cool.....let him rest over that weekend and get ready for SPAM.

mikejones99
11-26-2007, 11:46 AM
He is a lock to make it this year.

telecomguy
11-26-2007, 12:17 PM
He is a lock to make it this year.

if he continues to play this effectively, it would be a travesty if the coaches don't pick him.

Manu has been the best player for the Spurs so far, and his PER, Efficiency, and other stats are out of this world, as well as his ability to change the game when he gets on the court.

xamila rey
11-26-2007, 12:32 PM
manu was in the discussion last year,
this year he is playing much better,
why do u think that he wont be consider?
i think if he keeps playing like this he will be in.

SpursIndonesia
11-26-2007, 12:56 PM
If the Spurs can get the no. 1 spot in the west by all stars break, and the big three can keep up their current production, i think they all can make it to the game. Tony is having great year statistically, Manu is even better as a sixth man off the bench with great efficiency & impact to the game, while Duncan is Duncan, no question should be asked. Ofcourse, some stomping down game against other powerhouses can help a little too.

Kori Ellis
11-26-2007, 01:00 PM
If the Spurs have the best (or near best) record in the league, I think the coaches will make sure there's 3 Spurs on the roster. So they would both make it. If the Spurs falter a little bit, then one of Tony or Manu won't make it.

But it's really early to project anyway - it's a couple more months before that decision needs to be made. There's a lot of good guards in the West though. It will be rough.

TMTTRIO
11-26-2007, 01:12 PM
I can't really see Manu being an All Star this year. Manu's been awesome lately but there's just too many other great players out there to compete against him (including Tony). I do hope he continues to play well like he has. He's been somewhat consistant with his scoring. If he continues his good play I at least can see him getting the 6MOY award. I just think there's too much competition for AS besides I don't think Manu cares. Like he said he already planned a vacation during that time :).

ATX Spur
11-26-2007, 01:39 PM
I think it would be cool if we had a v-bookie on this. Because I think Manu's got a great chance, but alot can happen between now and when the coaches make their picks.

SpurOutofTownFan
11-26-2007, 01:41 PM
He might not make it as a starter via All-Star balloting, but he has a chance to make it as a reserve via the coaches and GMs.

Correct, as it happened the first time he was an all-star.

Bruno
11-26-2007, 02:00 PM
It will be very difficult for Manu and Parker to be all star this year.
Kobe and McGrady will be WCF starting guards.
Coaches will then select 2 or 3 guards among Steve Nash, Baron Davis, Allen Iverson, Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Kevin Martin, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili...
Manu's edge is that most of these players are PGs. If Coaches take a true SG as backup SG, Manu is likely the better one.

SpursIndonesia
11-26-2007, 02:18 PM
SO, 3 guards for back ups in AS, they can be Nash, Parker, Ginobili, right ? :smokin

Deimosfobos
11-26-2007, 03:09 PM
manu will make it if he keeps this up

Agreed

I don't see how he can not make it if he keeps playing like this, even if it's not by popular vote, i think the coaches will bring him. Many of them wish they had a player like Manu.

And he's playing better than ever so far...

ducks
11-26-2007, 03:10 PM
will ai and mcgrady be healthy at allstar game?
will bibby still be a king?

ArgSpursFan.
11-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I can't really see Manu being an All Star this year. Manu's been awesome lately but there's just too many other great players out there to compete against him (including Tony). I do hope he continues to play well like he has. He's been somewhat consistant with his scoring. If he continues his good play I at least can see him getting the 6MOY award. I just think there's too much competition for AS besides I don't think Manu cares. Like he said he already planned a vacation during that time :).

Something that people don't realize is that S.A is a low scoring team, so if you can manage to get 16/20 PPG in about 28 mins playing for the Spurs,you can actually translate those same minutes to a run and gun kind of team and will give you about 25 PPG at the very least.
What I'm trying to say is that I don't see another SG playing 28 MPG putting Manu's MONSTER numbers.Even playing for a faster paced team like the Suns or the Lakers.

E20
11-26-2007, 03:24 PM
If 4 Pistons and 3 Suns could make the team, I don't see why not 3 Spurs. Tony and Manu have a good chance of being reserves, because Coaches/GM's pick them.

41times
11-26-2007, 04:19 PM
If they keep Manu off the All Star team i would f#cking boycott the game if i were the other Spurs who actually get selected.

Manu has be the best all around and most consistent player for season thus far for the Spurs.

The all star balloting and selection is a joke anyway. Hell Shaq will probably make it in the East and he is a shell of his former self.

Every year we have to look at Vince Carter, AI, Shaq, DumbWade and a bunch of other "hasbeens" and why, because ignorant fans who don't watch the games every day vote for names that they recognize.

I know it is supposed to be a game for the fans, but if you want the best players to play in the All Star game then let the coaches and players choose at least half the players who go.

remingtonbo2001
11-26-2007, 05:34 PM
If the Spurs have the best (or near best) record in the league, I think the coaches will make sure there's 3 Spurs on the roster. So they would both make it. If the Spurs falter a little bit, then one of Tony or Manu won't make it.

But it's really early to project anyway - it's a couple more months before that decision needs to be made. There's a lot of good guards in the West though. It will be rough.

Hmmm...I'm going to go CIA. If the Spurs have the best record by All-Star break, I think Pop will ask Tim, Tony, and Manu to take a paid vacation. You gotta save those games for when they count. The All-Star game has basically turned into a fluff ass showboat! It's like Pheonix basketball, it's fun to watch for about the first 5 minutes. It's a novelty item.

Let the rest of the NBA have their cake.
Let the rest of the league be KING for the day.
See what it feels like to be something sepecial.
Cause when June comes around we'll be wearing the crown.

I say pass. We don't need one game a year to show off our abilities.
Our guys do it every game.
WE, essentially speaking, have our own All-Star team.

Yuixafun
11-26-2007, 05:41 PM
The All-star game is to reward the players for having a great year and also for fans to see their favorite players.

It's bad etiquette to simply turn your nose at an all-star selection, especially when the fans vote you in.

When someone wants to praise you at least have the manners to say thank you.

da_suns_fan__
11-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Who's a lock?

Yao
Duncan
Dirk
Bryant
McGrady

Bench:
G Nash
G
F
F Boozer
C Amare

Util
Util

4 Positions up for grabs:

Melo, AI, Shawn Marion, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, Ginobili, Josh Howard and Chris Paul are candidates

My guess is Melo, Marion, Ginobili and Paul get the last four spots.

ShoogarBear
11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
:wtf

If there wasn't a fan vote, Manu right now would be the frontrunner among the Big 3 to make the All-Star game.

bdictjames
11-26-2007, 05:49 PM
There's a big possibility of one going down to injury. I dont think Stoudemire's a lock for the All-Star team.

I'd say if Spurs got the #1 record in the West, so be it.

timvp
11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
If the Spurs keep playing like their playing now, they will all three make it. Manu might have a better chance to make it than Parker due to the depth at point guard in the West.

If it were up to me, none of them would make it and would instead rest.

WalterBenitez
11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Manu and the little French must go, so start voting!!!! :danceclub

remingtonbo2001
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
:wtf

If there wasn't a fan vote, Manu right now would be the frontrunner among the Big 3 to make the All-Star game.

Manu's got the Argentina vote secured.
It's no China, but I'm sure it will help.

What's the tally at anyways?
When do they release those numbers?

mystargtr34
11-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Who's a lock?

Yao
Duncan
Dirk
Bryant
McGrady

Bench:
G Nash
G
F
F Boozer
C Amare

Util
Util

4 Positions up for grabs:

Melo, AI, Shawn Marion, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, Ginobili, Josh Howard and Chris Paul are candidates

My guess is Melo, Marion, Ginobili and Paul get the last four spots.

Manu may be improving in the popularity contest but theres no way he gets voted in... T-Mac and Kobe are locks...

I dont think Marion makes it this year either... Josh Howard for one has been more valuable to the Mavs than Marion has for the Suns this year.. but i dont see him making it either.

I also think Carmelo will beat out Dirk for the other Forward spot... which i dont agree with, but its the fans game. Either way Dirk will be selected and Chris Paul will get the other PG spot with Nash on the bench.

Then there are the remaining two utility spots for...

Marion
Manu
Howard
Parker
AI
Deron
Martin

I think of these guys, Manu and AI get in... i just cant see the coaches giving Parker the nod over AI... and Manu is more of a 'sexy' player and a little more appealing. JMO

MaNuMaNiAc
11-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Manu's got the Argentina vote secured.
It's no China, but I'm sure it will help.

What's the tally at anyways?
When do they release those numbers?

You're seriously overestimating how many people here watch basketball, let alone the percentage of them that bother to vote. No offense, but I'm willing to bet that Manu has more voting fans in the US than it does here.

Magic_Johnson
11-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Manu will make the ASG but it will be hard for Tony
reserve guards=Nash
Manu
CP3 or Tony

Kori Ellis
11-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Hmmm...I'm going to go CIA. If the Spurs have the best record by All-Star break, I think Pop will ask Tim, Tony, and Manu to take a paid vacation. You gotta save those games for when they count. The All-Star game has basically turned into a fluff ass showboat! It's like Pheonix basketball, it's fun to watch for about the first 5 minutes. It's a novelty item.

Let the rest of the NBA have their cake.
Let the rest of the league be KING for the day.
See what it feels like to be something sepecial.
Cause when June comes around we'll be wearing the crown.

I say pass. We don't need one game a year to show off our abilities.
Our guys do it every game.
WE, essentially speaking, have our own All-Star team.

The problem is that the players can't just pass on it. If the coaches select them, they have to go. If they come up with an "injury" that prevents them from playing, they still have to go on the trip, do all the media events, etc. They can't just decide to stay home and rest.

Josepatches
11-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Nash,D-Will or Paul and AI will be the reserve guards.Williams or Paul never was All-Star so i think that coaches give them that honour.
5 guards-5 forwards and 2 centers

C Yao
F Duncan
F Melo
G T-Mac
G Kobe

G Nash
G AI
G CP3
F Boozer
F Nowitzki
F Marion
C CHRIS KAMAN :smokin .I hope it but i guess that Amare will be the second C
I add baron Davis if he is healthy.25pts 9 assist per game.Too difficult to Tony and Manu

timvp
11-27-2007, 01:58 AM
The problem is that the players can't just pass on it. If the coaches select them, they have to go. If they come up with an "injury" that prevents them from playing, they still have to go on the trip, do all the media events, etc. They can't just decide to stay home and rest.True plus I think the NBA makes a player miss a couple regular season games if they say they are injured for the All-Star game.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-27-2007, 02:00 AM
Do you guys agree with the ruling on the All Star Game? i think it's almost unfair to some players. While, yeah, it's an honor to be selected, I think if a veteran player wants to give up his spot so that they can rest, then why not give the spot to another deserving player? I'm sure a lot of these guys would kill to get a whole week off, instead of having to report to practice for a meaningless game.

ShoogarBear
11-27-2007, 02:09 AM
The NBA puts more effort into All-Star weekend than they do for The Finals. They are going to make damn sure that the players show up for it. Otherwise, you'd never seen Tim Duncan there again.

I don't have a problem with them having a requirement for the players to be there. Yeah, you can argue it's a meaningless game, but the guys who are paying a premium for the tickets and the advertising are not doing it so that the top stars can give up their spots to the David Wests of the league.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Well of course Manu won't make the All-Star Game now that Beno can be a write-in candidate.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-27-2007, 02:22 AM
The NBA puts more effort into All-Star weekend than they do for The Finals. They are going to make damn sure that the players show up for it. Otherwise, you'd never seen Tim Duncan there again.

I don't have a problem with them having a requirement for the players to be there. Yeah, you can argue it's a meaningless game, but the guys who are paying a premium for the tickets and the advertising are not doing it so that the top stars can give up their spots to the David Wests of the league.

well said.

Martin R
11-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Coaches will pick him.

SpurOutofTownFan
11-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Manu this year has serious changes of being picked up by the coaches. Last year he had no chance but he's going to be selected this time around. I would be very surprised or shocked if that doesn't happen.

TMTTRIO
11-28-2007, 10:51 PM
there's been a lot of talk on how well Tony has been doing but Manu has seemed more consistant with his scoring lately and has really been scoring well. The other night was really the only night that he scored in single digits. I wonder if he can continue to average 19 points a game for the season? I hope he can keep it up.

RC's Boss
11-28-2007, 11:06 PM
I hope Manu does, but the coaches WILL pick Tony. After all, he's their primary focus on defense. Duncan could maintain what he's avgng' now and still get it IMO> Hopefully they'll get the "Detroit Treatment". All 3 of them deserve it just like the Pistons did when they all got rewarded.

coachmac87
11-28-2007, 11:15 PM
nba should add a best 6th man spot. one for both teams.....but only the coaches pick who makes it