PDA

View Full Version : Town outside San Antonio sold on Ebay for £1.45M

phyzik
11-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Dont know if its been posted yet....

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2613888.html?menu=

Town sold on eBay

A small, uninhabited town in Texas has been sold on eBay for £1,450,000.

The town, called Albert, 60 miles outside San Antonio, features a schoolhouse, a dancehall and a bar, reports the BBC.

Current owner, Bobby Cave, said he was checking the identity of the Italian buyer, to confirm the deal.

He added he had several other serious bids should the sale fall through.

Mr Cave, 47, an estate agent, said he sold the land after three-and-a-half years as he was ready to move on to his next project.

"I bought it with the intention of creating a little family camping venue where people could come out and drink and enjoy local live music," he said.

He said the town's population currently consisted of himself and a groundsman at weekends.

The winning buyer will take over an icehouse created from the frame of the old general store, a pavilion, an 85-year-old dance hall, a tractor shed and a three-bedroom house, together with peach and pecan orchards.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Actually, it's about $3.8M, IIRC.

CubanMustGo
11-26-2007, 12:59 PM
AKA £1.45M as stated in the story (but not the headline of the post)

phyzik
11-26-2007, 01:05 PM
ya, I always forget that website posts in euro

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
He said the town's population currently consisted of himself and a groundsman at weekends.

The winning buyer will take over an icehouse created from the frame of the old general store, a pavilion, an 85-year-old dance hall, a tractor shed and a three-bedroom house, together with peach and pecan orchards.

That's not a town...that's a ranch...an understaffed ranch. At $3.8M, someone overpaid.

jman3000
11-26-2007, 01:24 PM
I remember reading about this a loooong time ago (3 years according to the article) about the guy trying to turn it in to what he was saying... guess it didnt work out for him.

mrsmaalox
11-26-2007, 01:25 PM
That's not a town...that's a ranch...an understaffed ranch. At $3.8M, someone overpaid.
Must include acreage, no?

Slomo
11-26-2007, 03:09 PM
$ = Dollar
£ = UK Pound
€ = Euro

FYI

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-26-2007, 03:16 PM
I remember reading about this a loooong time ago (3 years according to the article) about the guy trying to turn it in to what he was saying... guess it didnt work out for him.

He kinda sorted did, actually.

IIRC, he's making a great profit on the town after putting in the dancehall and other small amenities. Plus, with the exposure he got, it drove the price up.

AlamoSpursFan
11-27-2007, 04:23 AM
Never been there, but they had some seriously hot chicks on their billboards north of town on 281...