PDA

View Full Version : The Mist

curtismedellin
11-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Okay with the way the weather was yesterday, Spurs not on till later, no Cowboys game. I figured it would be a good time to catch a flick. after consulting with my fiancee we decided to go see "The Mist".

I gotta admit the movie wasn't that bad. I'm not a big Stephen King fan (I've walked away from some of his other movies). The Mist had a nice pace to it not many dead spots and it kept me on the edge of my seat, as opposed to the Hostel and Saw franchises which regurgitate blood and gore and can't even hope to achieve what was done in this film.The Mist continually builds the suspense until the end, and my gosh what an ending!!!! . It's not a horror movie per se but more like a creature feature, which was a welcome break from some of the other movies that have recently opened.

Anyway I thought it was worth the hard earned cash I shelled out, and I can't say that about too many movies that I've seen lately.

Anyone else see it??? I'd like to hear what you thought about it.

E20
11-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I just felt like doing this Spoiler ALERT:

The dad kills off his son and 3 other people with the four bullets left in his gun to avoid getting eaten off by the monsters then he gets out of the car to die by the monsters and when he is about to die, the soldiers come in driving off the mist. Little did he know he was running away from safety and help. Then the soldiers come to help him, but he already killed his family/friends.

LuvBones
11-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Yeah the ending sucks but it was still a good movie.

peewee's lovechild
11-26-2007, 06:33 PM
This is one move I want to see.

I'll try and catch it this weekend.

PM5K
11-26-2007, 06:38 PM
King adaptations can be pretty hit or miss...

Medvedenko
11-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Great movie I say.....a nice reprieve from the teenager killing spree we've been fed lately. Oh, and I liked the ending....ironic and depressing. Very bleak indeed.

CuckingFunt
11-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Sounds similar in tone to the ending of Gerry.

Spurfect
11-26-2007, 07:28 PM
saw it yesterday, it's a pretty good movie. ending is.. messed up! wow. but overall i really enjoyed it.

E20
11-26-2007, 11:36 PM
How many creatures did they show? Did they show that humongous one that was described in the book as making a blue whale look like a trout and leaves 6 feet deep prints. That has to be one big ass mother fucker, because a blue whale is as big as the biggest dino's.

curtismedellin
11-27-2007, 08:50 AM
How many creatures did they show? Did they show that humongous one that was described in the book as making a blue whale look like a trout and leaves 6 feet deep prints.

yes

leemajors
11-27-2007, 09:56 AM
it had more FUCKING LEAVE/RUN ALREADY YOU DIPSHITS moments than any other movie i have seen lately.

703 Spurz
11-27-2007, 10:00 AM
How many creatures did they show? Did they show that humongous one that was described in the book as making a blue whale look like a trout and leaves 6 feet deep prints. That has to be one big ass mother fucker, because a blue whale is as big as the biggest dino's.

They showed that one towards the end. Fucker was a million times bigger then a Brontosaurus

BonnerDynasty
12-15-2007, 01:45 AM
Just saw it. Great ending.

I liked it a lot. When they wanted his son I started to have Storm of the Century flashbacks.

whottt
12-15-2007, 02:27 AM
Marcia Gay Harden deserves an Oscar for her role in this movie...that bitch had me cussing at the screen and ready to throw stuff at it...and I never do stuff like that. Anytime the bad guy pisses you off that bad...it's Oscar worthy.

And yes...I clapped, and I never usually do that either.

Crazy Bitch>Nurse Ratchet>Misery

ATRAIN
12-15-2007, 08:15 AM

That was the best part of the movie.......IMO!!

ATRAIN
12-15-2007, 08:16 AM
My advice is if you want to waste your money go watch it.......:)

ATX Spur
12-15-2007, 02:43 PM
It was worth watching. I felt the ending was a little predictable though. Marcia Gay Harden and William Sadler were awesome.

florige
03-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Just saw it. Great ending.

I liked it a lot. When they wanted his son I started to have Storm of the Century flashbacks.

:lol Really! I was thinking the same thing. The movie had that whole Storm of the Century feel too. But yeah I'm with you guys, a really F'ed up ending though. Especially when he has to look at the other kids driving by to safety in the humvees.

Spurminator
06-02-2008, 01:12 PM
I rented this last weekend and it was the most surprisingly great movie I've seen in the past year. I expected a sort of popcorn horror flick but it was actually a social commentary along the lines of the great Romero zombie moves. 9/10

ATRAIN
06-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I rented this last weekend and it was the most surprisingly great movie I've seen in the past year. I expected a sort of popcorn horror flick but it was actually a social commentary along the lines of the great Romero zombie moves. 9/10

Wow I would hate to see what you thought was a bad movie.

Spurminator
06-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Cloverfield

peewee's lovechild
06-03-2008, 07:18 AM
I saw the movie over the weekend.

I thought it was pretty good.

Frank Darabont really understands the Stephen King universe.

Oh, and any Dark Tower fans should know what the "mist" was even if they didn't read the book. Since we don't have Dark Tower movies, yet that is, this little glimpse into Roland Deshain's world will have to do.

florige
06-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Wow I would hate to see what you thought was a bad movie.

Man A I don't know dude. This movie was good man!

ATRAIN
06-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Man A I don't know dude. This movie was good man!

Hell no!!!!

leemajors
06-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Hell no!!!!

it was pretty good until the end. Very solid B movie for sure.

peewee's lovechild
06-03-2008, 08:11 AM

I thought the end was pretty good.
Ironic and depressing, but pretty good nonetheless.

florige
06-03-2008, 08:33 AM

I liked that ending. Totally unexpected.

SCdac
06-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I like the ending as well. It's bold, and definitely not the way the book ended, but it works in the cinema IMO.

All in all, it's one of my favorite movies of the 2007, despite some flaws and imperfections.

I saw the film a number of times when it came out in theaters...

But now I'm really interested in watching the black & white version on the double disc DVD.

Apparently, Darabont had always planned to shoot the film in black and white, but folded under pressure from the studio. Honestly, I can picture the movie in black and white. My family and I used to listen to the audiobook probably ten or so years ago, and it's the kind of story that doesn't necassarily need alot of color. Almost like an episode of the Twilight Zone, I don't think it would lose it's effect at all.

Has anybody seen it yet?

florige
06-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I like the ending as well. It's bold, and definitely not the way the book ended, but it works in the cinema IMO.

All in all, it's one of my favorite movies of the 2007, despite some flaws and imperfections.

I saw the film a number of times when it came out in theaters...

But now I'm really interested in watching the black & white version on the double disc DVD.

Apparently, Darabont had always planned to shoot the film in black and white, but folded under pressure from the studio. Honestly, I can picture the movie in black and white. My family and I used to listen to the audiobook probably ten or so years ago, and it's the kind of story that doesn't necassarily need alot of color. Almost like an episode of the Twilight Zone, I don't think it would lose it's effect at all.

Has anybody seen it yet?

See I knew I should had bought the two disc version....:bang

mexicanjunior
06-03-2008, 10:05 AM
I thought The Myst was a great movie, the ending was unexpected and suprising, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I hate watching movies were I already know everything is going to turn out ok for the main characters, this one went opposite on me, such a nice change of pace...I rented the DVD but it didnt come with the 2nd disc and B&W version...

MaNuMaNiAc
06-06-2008, 11:42 PM
I just watched it... interesting movie. I have to say though, the people depicted in the movie are complete. fucking. idiots. At one point, I felt like I was watching a Friday 13th fucking movie! They were THAT stupid. Shit, I half expected Jason to come walking out of the fog...

Also, I know most of you wished they had shot the crazy religious bitch early on in the movie. I spent the entire movie wishing someone would decapitate the bitch. I love the little dude with glasses is all I got to say!

rr2418
06-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Saw the movie the other day and like some many of you have already said, "WOW! What an ending!!" I liked it, but logic says that you stay in that car and wait for help or until you think it's o.k. to get out.

Kyle Smith
06-07-2008, 06:39 PM
I thought it was absolutely horrible.

:/

Nbadan
06-07-2008, 06:51 PM
I liked it...the premise was semi-original...the characters were semi-authentic....the frightened people leaning on religion was telling....

8 jalapenos/10 on the Ironman scale...

:lol

pawe
06-08-2008, 12:06 AM
I saw the movie last night and it was interesting. It was like war of the worlds type of shit. And yeah, the spiders on the pharmacy scene was awesome! I wonder what kind of crack Stephen King was smoking for him to imagine those kind of weird stories and scenarios.

leemajors
06-08-2008, 12:16 AM
I saw the movie last night and it was interesting. It was like war of the worlds type of shit. And yeah, the spiders on the pharmacy scene was awesome! I wonder what kind of crack Stephen King was smoking for him to imagine those kind of weird stories and scenarios.

he was drunk and flying off coke in the 70s.

Mister Sinister
06-08-2008, 12:19 AM
The spiders creeped the shit out of me.

peewee's lovechild
06-09-2008, 07:15 AM
he was drunk and flying off coke in the 70s.

The "Mist" is really a "thinny" from the Dark Tower series.

And, at the time he first wrote the Dark Tower, he was on a steady diet of cough syrup and whiskey.

You see a lot of weird shit when you're on cough syrup and whiskey.

MannyIsGod
06-09-2008, 07:35 AM
I thought it was pretty good. The ending was really fucking obvious and poorly acted though.

MannyIsGod
06-09-2008, 07:36 AM
The "Mist" is really a "thinny" from the Dark Tower series.

And, at the time he first wrote the Dark Tower, he was on a steady diet of cough syrup and whiskey.

You see a lot of weird shit when you're on cough syrup and whiskey.

I hate how King has gone back and tried to make the dark tower universe bigger than it is. I'm a big fan of the series for the most part, but after teh accident his ego really fucking took over and I hated some of the things he did and continues to do regarding those books.

peewee's lovechild
06-09-2008, 07:52 AM
I hate how King has gone back and tried to make the dark tower universe bigger than it is. I'm a big fan of the series for the most part, but after teh accident his ego really fucking took over and I hated some of the things he did and continues to do regarding those books.

He's doing it because he want's everything to come full circle.

I don't think he's doing it because of his ego.

He wasn't even going to finish the series at one point, but he said that he got fan mail from a couple of guys on death row that told him that they just wanted to know what was going to happen to Roland before they died.

What really affected him was an 80 year old woman who was dying of cancer begging him to tell her how the series would end because she only had a year to live.

That was what drove him to finish the series. The accident happened shortly after.

But in terms of expanding the Dark Tower series, I kinda like what he's doing. It gives me the feeling that everything is interconnected, and it gives a reason for the creepiness found in most of his novels.

ATRAIN
06-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Even though I thought the mist was crap I have heard awesome things about the Dark Tower series so until I read them, then MAAAAYBE I will change my opinion on it. As a stand alone movie though it blew ass!!

peewee's lovechild
06-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Even though I thought the mist was crap I have heard awesome things about the Dark Tower series so until I read them, then MAAAAYBE I will change my opinion on it. As a stand alone movie though it blew ass!!

If you read the Dark Tower series, you will gain a greater appreciation for it.

Once you read about the "thinnys" in Roland's world, you'll really understand The Mist.

ATRAIN
06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
If you read the Dark Tower series, you will gain a greater appreciation for it.

Once you read about the "thinnys" in Roland's world, you'll really understand The Mist.

OK ill give you that pee wee, but till then ill hold off on my bashing the mist movie.

jman3000
06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
it's a little known fact that atrain doesnt read above a 2nd grade level.

Strike
06-09-2008, 08:52 PM

The ending sucked? Why? Because it wasn't warm and fluffy?

The ending was very Stephen King-esque. The type of ending where you just sit there and go "ohhhhhh fuck." I love endings like that. I love endings where everything doesn't end up happy and pretty. I love endings where the bad guy wins.

Strike
06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Cloverfield

Sucked.

Slydragon
06-09-2008, 10:17 PM
when ever I even bring up this movie my mom gets so piss that he didn't wait until they was attack to do what he did.

MannyIsGod
06-09-2008, 10:38 PM
The ending sucked? Why? Because it wasn't warm and fluffy?

The ending was very Stephen King-esque. The type of ending where you just sit there and go "ohhhhhh fuck." I love endings like that. I love endings where everything doesn't end up happy and pretty. I love endings where the bad guy wins.

That ending was horrible. It wasn't very King esqe because it wasn't the way he ended the novella. In the novella you have no idea what happens to them, they completely made this ending up on their own.

I don't mind dark endings. I hate stupid endings that are transparent. I saw that shit coming for miles ahead. And the acting at the end was fucking horrible. The execution of the idea was piss poor, thats why it sucked ass for me. Are you kidding me with those fucking camera angles and the screaming? God, so cliche.

Yeah, the good guys come and save the day has been done over and over but that doesn't mean that the dark ending hasn't either. I thought the movie was a pleasant surprise that had a shitty ending.

Mister Sinister
06-09-2008, 10:39 PM
That ending was horrible. It wasn't very King esqe because it wasn't the way he ended the novella. In the novella you have no idea what happens to them, they completely made this ending up on their own.

I don't mind dark endings. I hate stupid endings that are transparent. I saw that shit coming for miles ahead. And the acting at the end was fucking horrible. The execution of the idea was piss poor, thats why it sucked ass for me. Are you kidding me with those fucking camera angles and the screaming? God, so cliche.

Yeah, the good guys come and save the day has been done over and over but that doesn't mean that the dark ending hasn't either. I thought the movie was a pleasant surprise that had a shitty ending.
This.

leemajors
06-10-2008, 12:01 AM
i really hope they never make the talisman into a movie. it's my favorite king book, and i loved the sequel too. i'm glad he left that story line open ended. i'd imagine if jack hadn't had to stay in the territories he may have made an actual dark tower appearance. ugh, i just saw TNT made it into a mini series with spielberg having a hand in it. hopefully it's more along the lines of the nightmares and dreamscapes thing they did - some of those were actually good.

peewee's lovechild
06-10-2008, 07:28 AM
The ending was very Stephen King-esque.

Wrong.

That's not King's ending, to begin with. And, in his stories, it is almost ALWAYS the child that survives. He has a fasination with giving children more strength than they are given credit for.

The major exception to that would be The Dark Tower series. But, even then, the child (Jake) serves as a major key to the story.

peewee's lovechild
06-10-2008, 07:36 AM
i really hope they never make the talisman into a movie. it's my favorite king book, and i loved the sequel too. i'm glad he left that story line open ended. i'd imagine if jack hadn't had to stay in the territories he may have made an actual dark tower appearance. ugh, i just saw TNT made it into a mini series with spielberg having a hand in it. hopefully it's more along the lines of the nightmares and dreamscapes thing they did - some of those were actually good.

Have you read the sequel, Black House?

It's fucking great. Straub and King are working on a third book.

I would actually like to see it, and the sequels, in movie form. Well, as long as the right director is involved. Frank Darabont seems to understand the King universe well. I think he could do something sweet with this material.

I'm up for anything related to the Dark Tower to be made into movies.

TNT's Nightmares and Dreamscapes was . . . well, it was hit and miss for me. I hate . . . fucking hate what they did with "Umney's Last Case" and "Crouch End". The butchering of "Crouch End" still hurts. But, "Battleground" and "The End of The Whole Mess" were damn near perfect. The rest of them were all right, but they could have done much better.

leemajors
06-10-2008, 08:30 AM

I would actually like to see it, and the sequels, in movie form. Well, as long as the right director is involved. Frank Darabont seems to understand the King universe well. I think he could do something sweet with this material.

TNT's Nightmares and Dreamscapes was . . . well, it was hit and miss for me. I hate . . . fucking hate what they did with "Umney's Last Case" and "Crouch End". The butchering of "Crouch End" still hurts. But, "Battleground" and "The End of The Whole Mess" were damn near perfect. The rest of them were all right, but they could have done much better.

black house is awesome. I think they should let genndy tartakovsky do the dark tower stuff, he has pitched it repeatedly.

Spurminator
06-10-2008, 09:11 AM
I was okay with the ending. Could have gone either way, but I think it fit with the natural progression of the story (loss of safety -> loss of sanity -> loss of hope)

leemajors
06-10-2008, 10:56 AM

some of straub's books are pretty good too. you should check out shadowland if you haven't.

peewee's lovechild
06-10-2008, 01:46 PM
black house is awesome. I think they should let genndy tartakovsky do the dark tower stuff, he has pitched it repeatedly.

Last I read, King sold the "first look" rights to J.J. Abrams for $1. Apparently, Abrams presented something to King that he really liked. But, King said that bringing it to the silver screen is still a ways off.

Tartokovsky would be an interesting choice, but I want to see what he does with The Dark Crystal's sequel before I pass judgement on his skills as a feature length director.

peewee's lovechild
06-10-2008, 01:46 PM
some of straub's books are pretty good too. you should check out shadowland if you haven't.

I haven't read it, but I'll have to check it out.

MannyIsGod
06-11-2008, 04:51 AM
Holy shit htere's a dark crystal sequel coming out? bad ass.

CuckingFunt
06-14-2008, 07:54 PM
I finally got around to seeing this one last night. I got more sucked in than I expected.

The CG was just atrocious, though. Bad enough in some parts that I couldn't help laughing.

peewee's lovechild
06-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Holy shit htere's a dark crystal sequel coming out? bad ass.

Coming out next year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460907/