PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Beno bites hand that fed him in Kings' victory over Spurs

some_user86
11-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Beno bites hand that fed him in Kings' victory over Spurs

Web Posted: 11/27/2007 01:16 AM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Little more than three weeks ago, coach Reggie Theus heralded Beno Udrih's arrival in Sacramento with the kind of cavalry-is-coming melodramatics that only sound authentic in old western movies.
"Help is on the way," Theus announced after the Kings signed the Spurs castoff to play point guard Nov 1.

That over-the-top proclamation doesn't sound so sappy now. Mostly because Udrih has, indeed, helped the Kings.

Putting together the best game of his life Monday, Udrih scored a career-high 27 points — and outplayed the point guard he backed up for three seasons — to aid his new team in beating his old one at Arco Arena, 112-99.

"I tried not to let my emotions get to me," said Udrih, who never scored more than 25 points in 207 games with the Spurs. "I was just trying to play the game."

Brad Miller had 17 points to go with 10 rebounds and seven assists for the Kings, who had all five starters score in double digits.

Tim Duncan led the Spurs (12-3) with 15 points but had only five after the first quarter. Tony Parker, under whom Udrih apprenticed in San Antonio, had 12 points, seven assists and a team-best seven rebounds but struggled to get to the rim.

Sacramento's victory snapped a five-game winning streak for the Spurs, who were off to the best start in franchise history. It also broke a three-game losing streak for the Kings (5-9).

The Spurs' first-round pick in 2004, Udrih spent three mercurial seasons in San Antonio. Shipped to Minnesota for next to nothing before the start of the season — the Timberwolves hastily waived him — Udrih landed in Sacramento. He landed on his feet.

The Kings were in the market for a point guard after Mike Bibby was sidelined by thumb surgery in October. Udrih was a point guard in search of playing time, which he wasn't going to get behind Parker and Jacque Vaughn.

"Quite a bit of what we needed, he offers," Theus said.

Udrih left town quietly upon his trade in October but recently told a Sacramento newspaper he felt unappreciated by the Spurs. He took a less forceful tack Monday — "I am thankful to them," he said. "They are the reason I am here."

One didn't have to remind Spurs coach Gregg Popovich of that. Much as another jettisoned former Spurs first-round pick — Houston's Luis Scola — did earlier this month, Udrih came back to haunt his former team.

It turns out Udrih isn't the only one who believes he might have been mishandled in San Antonio. Popovich agrees.

"I did a poor job of creating an environment where he could get better," Popovich said. "He's a natural at the position. I just wish I had done a better job with him."

On Monday, Udrih discovered winning basketball games to be the best revenge.

The Kings grabbed control midway through the third quarter, scoring on 12 of 13 possessions during a 28-10 run that allowed them to break open the game.

With 2:57 left in the fourth, Udrih made his closing statement. He grabbed a loose ball, weaved the length of the floor for a transition layup, drew a foul and completed a 3-point play.

That sequence put Sacramento ahead 106-92. It also allowed Udrih to match his career high, against the team with whom he'd spent all but eight games of his career.

The Kings had the signature victory of the Theus era. Their losing streak was finished. And Udrih, if he were inclined to claim it as such, had his revenge.

Afterward, Udrih would only go so far as to admit the obvious.

"Winning games is the sweetest," Udrih said. "It just feels great to win."

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112707.01D.BKNspurs.kings.gamer.2eedc96.html

AlamoSpursFan
11-27-2007, 06:48 AM
Putting together the best game of his life Monday, Udrih scored a career-high 27 points — and outplayed the point guard he backed up for three seasons — to aid his new team in beating his old one at Arco Arena, 112-99.

And in June, he'll be wondering why he doesn't have to be at shoot-around tomorrow...

:lol

dbestpro
11-27-2007, 08:09 AM
One of the most annoying things on this board has been the constant Beno bashing. I have been a Spurs fan since the 70's, went to my first game in 78 and over the years I never heard of anyone taking so much heat for so being a second/third string option. The heat also seemed to stem from a mob mentality on this board that does not reflect the general public. Well, to all the Beno bashers at Spurstalk, How does crow taste for breakfast this morning? I know some of you will be in denial and continue to bash him which will put you in the same class as Maverick and Suns fans. You will not be able to admit your wrong.

urunobili
11-27-2007, 08:23 AM
One of the most annoying things on this board has been the constant Beno bashing. I have been a Spurs fan since the 70's, went to my first game in 78 and over the years I never heard of anyone taking so much heat for so being a second/third string option. The heat also seemed to stem from a mob mentality on this board that does not reflect the general public. Well, to all the Beno bashers at Spurstalk, How does crow taste for breakfast this morning? I know some of you will be in denial and continue to bash him which will put you in the same class as Maverick and Suns fans. You will not be able to admit your wrong.
you truly sound like a Spurs fan.... and yes.. class is the word that still defines us ALL... despite i do not always agree with the beno bashing spirit.. you have to admit... he deserved it... and being in Pop's doghouse is one of the big reason's why we post here... that's why he is so popular among us... he was always there... give us a break would you? :devil

some_user86
11-27-2007, 08:50 AM
The Beno bashing is not undeserved. The guy still can't understand why he was pulled in the 2005 series (really?) and he still can't understand what Pop wanted out of him. He was here for three miserable years. It was frustrating knowing he had talent but no brains to use that talent. I predict he will be successful on any team that has a philosophy of just scoring. Until he matures, he won't be able to understand schemes and systems that are required for higher level basketball. He does not yet possess a high basketball IQ.

I think all along, many of us (at least I felt this way) had the talent to succeed. He was given so many opportunities. Pop kept starting him off as the main backup option at the point guard, but he always seemed to be back at the end of the bench by the end of the season. It was unbelievably frustrating, and for a series as close as the 2006 Dallas series was, it may have cost us a championship. But the frank truth was that the coaching staff felt they couldn't trust him on the floor (even with a hobbling NVE). The 2005 Finals proved that, and he showed no signs that he improved his decision making or handling skills since that time. In fact, it's arguable that he still hasn't learned anything. He hasn't shown anything which was not known about him - that he had potential and a good stroke.

Cherry
11-27-2007, 08:59 AM

He deserved it.

Beno was a big frustration for 3 years. No heart, no desire, he did nothing!

I don't miss him.

nkdlunch
11-27-2007, 09:22 AM
TP and the Spurs have been owned by Beno!

MoSpur
11-27-2007, 09:45 AM
He played a really good game. I'm sure he is on cloud nine right now and rightfully so.

ArgSpursFan.
11-27-2007, 09:49 AM
It's easier to play in a losing team with no presure whensoever, tham playing for a championship team,where you have to come in and produce in limited minutes,and play Alot of D.
But still,I wish him well.

sendman
11-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Thank you Sir, I hope majority of Spurs fans are like you.

VI#21
11-27-2007, 10:24 AM
I really have a hard time understand the extent of the Beno bashing too. I think some of our fans get carried away by jumping all over Beno. Give dude a break. I think both sides were a disappointment here. We could have given him more opportunities and he could have taken better advantage of those opportunities he did get. I liked the pace he had to his game, and he has a much better jump shot than many give him credit for. He did struggle at times handling the ball, but compared to some other PG we had, I think he was a decent back up. In any case, good luck Beno. Cant Hate

Harry Callahan
11-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Beno would be gone next year anyway when his rookie contract would have expired. There was NO WAY he was coming back to SA.

He and TP are the same age and Beno's ego would not have allowed him to be a backup here. This guy was gone sooner or later. What a croc that he showed so little interest in being a quality player for the Spurs who drafted him with that last No. 1 pick in 2004 and guaranteed him millions of dollars.

The Spurs drafted a talented guy who can be a good NBA player, but the heart and desire cannot always be measured. The attitude displayed by Beno especially in the last year or so was simply unacceptable. He would rather get the PT, roll up some numbers, and be with a mediocre team instead of being a good soldier here.

SAGambler
11-27-2007, 10:47 AM

Well stated. I too have never understood all the bashing of Beno that has gone on here. No doubt he had talent. It was Pops JOB to bring that talent to the front. Instead he let it rot away in favor of the NVE experiment. If making mistakes means being benched, the why wasn't Pop benched in 2006 when he was obviously unprepared for what the Mavs threw at him in the WC Finals? Then trying to go "small ball on the fly" without any preparation. Shouldn't that have earned him a few days to "think about his mistakes"? His only salvation was the Spurs were talented enough to almost pull it off.

But like the man said, Beno got his revenge last night.

SpurOutofTownFan
11-27-2007, 11:00 AM
The Beno bashing was somewhat deserved under some circunstances as he repeteadly failed to admit he failed more than once. Still, no one could argue his talent. People in this board are very cruel sometimes when a guy is playing bad and then out of the blue he becomes a hero when he plays great. It's just not the true spirit of fan.

Beno was an outcast, I think everyone sees that now, including Pop:

"I did a poor job of creating an environment where he could get better," Popovich said. "He's a natural at the position. I just wish I had done a better job with him."

Beno knows the Spurs inside out, I'm not surprised he was able to contain Parker; although I didn't watch the game.

Manu says something which is very important as our D is falling apart. I hope this is a wake-up call (and please don't tell me this is November):

"We have had games where we score 128, 115 and 110,'' San Antonio's Manu Ginobili said. "It's always fun in the game, but that's not who we are. We've really got to find our defense and hold teams under 90 points.''

What I just don't understand is why a player like Beno has to make an statement, like he crossed this game in the calendar, sort of "I will show them what they did to me and make them pay for it". That just doesn't show how great you are, it shows how pitiful you can be (scoring carrier-high just this game)

"They didn't have to trade me,'' Udrih said. "I could still be sitting on the bench. They helped me. ... I didn't let myself get happy looking across the court. I stayed focused on my game. They're my team and I was three years with them. It was special, but I can't take it for myself.''

Why is Beno waiting to score a carrier high last night? Couldn't he do that before, during his 3 years tenure with the spurs?

So, I have mixed emotions now - he was definitely our demise last night and it was premeditated with details. He is a good player and probably deserved to be taken into account and not being mishandled by people, but us the fans are in a great deal responsible for it. He was an outcast and he is showing that now.

diego
11-27-2007, 11:10 AM
most of beno's biggest critics were once his biggest supporters. i thought beno had a chance to push tony for the starting job back in 04, 05, then.... he disappeared.

i dont care if he parties or wears a tu-tu, but it was extremely disappointing to see him get worse instead of improve. manu and duncan play injured all the time, but beno would pull out for months with the smallest of ailments. and then, when you add the pathetic interviews, disappointment turns to hate. do i hate beno the individual? of course not. but beno the player? he's weak and weaklings have no place on a champ team. enjoy playing on a bottom dweller beno.

SenorSpur
11-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Beno had a fabulous game. No doubt about it. I would have liked to have seen more of Darius on Beno. Ah, but one game does not a career make.

Beno is a classic underachiever, who shifts blame for his situation onto everyone else. He takes no personal accountability for the situation he was in. Hopefully he matures and goes onto have a nice NBA career.

SouthernFried
11-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Beno just couldn't handle the pressure that was put on him.

He couldn't come in and play a super "controlled" game within a very regimented system. He was asked to do things he just couldn't do. "Come off the bench and control yourself and the game. Don't fuck us up!"

Too much thinking for Beno. He could never relax with all that pressure on him.

Give him a ball and tell him..."just go play," he does fine.

SAC is fine for him. No pressure, no thinking...."just go play." He can do that.

Spurs play a very cerebreal, controlled (sans Manu :) ), defense first game. Lotta players can't/won't play that type of ball. It's not so much fun for them individually.

Have fun Beno.

Pero
11-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Why is Beno waiting to score a carrier high last night? Couldn't he do that before, during his 3 years tenure with the spurs?

:lol :lol :lol

Hmmm you know, the point of a career high is that it is CAREER HIGH. You can put up a new career high you know? :lol

SenorSpur
11-27-2007, 12:58 PM
He still has trouble bringing the ball up court against pressure. That hasn't changed

telecomguy
11-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Yeah i never understood that. It's like sharks in feeding frenzy. Everyone was ready to kill Beno for some reason. I always thought Beno actually played a very intelligent game, certainly lot more intelligent than Parker who everyone here seems to think is the greatest PG (never mind, greatest player in NBA period) what with all the talk of him being the first option over Duncan, etc.etc.

Anyway, i knew Beno was a good PG, a REAL PG who may have been managed too aggressively by Pop and it is unfortunate that he didn't get to stick with the Spurs because on nights like this when no one can get the ball into TD, Beno might have done better.

spurschick
11-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Bill Land was saying that Beno was the victim of unfortunate circumstances – every time the opportunity came for him to shine, he would get injured or something. I call bullshit. I'll be the first one to admint that Van Exel was a huge mistake, but that didn't mean that Beno was foresaken. If he had stepped up, Pop would've gladly given him minutes over Van Exel. Beno had plenty of game opportunities and he choked them away. I have the utmost respect for Pop for taking the blame in not creating the right atmosphere, but that's typical of a great leader.

"They didn't have to trade me,'' Udrih said. "I could still be sitting on the bench." Sounds like he was expecting to ride the pine towards another ring. From what I saw last night, it took getting traded for Beno to find some motivation, and that's just sad.

Kibic
11-27-2007, 01:39 PM
This is really funny. Why on earth would he rather play behind Parker for 5-7 minutes (or zero) if he could play against him or even against any other really good player in NBA in every game for 30+ min?

Is this so hard to understand?

You all see him as he should be happy as a TP's backup and he say’s “NO”. And then you go and call that as “lack of desire”
:wakeup

SRJ
11-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Beno bites hand that overpaid, overfed him in Kings' victory over Spurs

Headline fixed.

SenorSpur
11-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Some guys can handle coaching (Parker), some guys can't (Beno). Pop's decision to go with NVE was a colossal mistake. I don't think Pop ever forgave Beno for how he screwed up in the 2005 NBA Finals. Perhaps there may have been some things that Pop could have done differently.

However Beno definitely should have done some things differently. First, he needed to become a bit more self-aware. I don't believe he ever accepted any responsibility for why he wasn't getting minutes. He simply expected everything to be handed to him. He acted like a spoiled brat. He also needed to have dedicated more time developing his game. He's a very talented player. He's just mentally soft.

MoSpur
11-27-2007, 01:46 PM
As some have said, I think Beno is a good ball player. I just think that he felt he deserved more playing time. I think he thinks he's a very good point guard in this league and therefore wanted to show that, but here in S.A that wasn't going to happen when you have Tony Parker who is getting around 36 minutes a game. Beno wanted to go to a team where he would get playing time and he got it.

spurschick
11-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Beno wanted to go to a team where he would get playing time and he got it.

IMO, you don't "get" playing time, you earn it.

MoSpur
11-27-2007, 01:51 PM
IMO, you don't "get" playing time, you earn it.

Agreed, but Beno didn't seem to understand that. I seriously doubt he understood (or wanted to understand) that he would be a role player on this team. He didn't seem to want to put in the work to be a role player.

41times
11-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Looks like Beno has a hard on for the Spurs the way little Stevie Nash does for the Mavs and Cuban.

You can probably look forward to many more 20 point games from Beno in the future agaisnt the Spurs.

But one poster was right, come May/June, Beno will be on summer vacation.

some_user86
11-27-2007, 02:09 PM
But one poster was right, come May/June, Beno will be on summer vacation.

And he won't mind that at all. In fact, he prefers it that way.

Spurminator
11-27-2007, 02:12 PM
"Quite a bit of what we needed, he offers," Theus said.

Yoda?

whottt
11-27-2007, 02:13 PM
This is really funny. Why on earth would he rather play behind Parker for 5-7 minutes (or zero) if he could play against him or even against any other really good player in NBA in every game for 30+ min?

Is this so hard to understand?

You all see him as he should be happy as a TP's backup and he say’s “NO”. And then you go and call that as “lack of desire”
:wakeup

Hey...competitiveness is great...unfortunately, instead of being competitive on the court, where it mattered, Beno elected to stuff his face and get out of shape to voice his disproval.

Tell me...based on the competitive traits he exhibited here in SA...what do you think is going to happen when Bibby comes back?

Oh...and if getting yanked by his headcoach is going to send him into a 2 year funk...

Beno's got a long hard road ahead of him...there isn't a coach in the NBA that won't yank a player if he is costing the team a game... in particular the fourth quarter of an NBA finals game.

You see...because it's about the team, not Beno.

whottt
11-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Pop is saying all the right things...but the bottom line is that Pop didn't like his heart. Instead of fighting what he felt was unfair treatment...Beno sucked and whined about it.

See ya Beno...

jag
11-27-2007, 02:21 PM
It's funny to see a few of these people come out and act like they werent part of the beno bashing when he was here. There is a childish mentality on these boards...and it's kind of annoying.

Not many on here said he didnt have talent, for the most part everyone knows he does. That wasnt the problem with him though, i was always a fan and wanted to see him do well, but he acted like a pussy when he was here...he was always injured and when he got his chance on the big stage he played terrible.

There's not much more pop could have done.

Dex
11-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Kings win November championship.

Next game.

BgT
11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Bill Land was saying that Beno was the victim of unfortunate circumstances – every time the opportunity came for him to shine, he would get injured or something. I call bullshit. I'll be the first one to admint that Van Exel was a huge mistake, but that didn't mean that Beno was foresaken. If he had stepped up, Pop would've gladly given him minutes over Van Exel. Beno had plenty of game opportunities and he choked them away. I have the utmost respect for Pop for taking the blame in not creating the right atmosphere, but that's typical of a great leader.

"They didn't have to trade me,'' Udrih said. "I could still be sitting on the bench." Sounds like he was expecting to ride the pine towards another ring. From what I saw last night, it took getting traded for Beno to find some motivation, and that's just sad.
I just had to read the bolded part to see what kind of a person you are. The quote doesn't end there. He said, that he didn't ask for the trade, but he wanted out of SA. So you are wrong, but you probably aren't going to admit it.

THE SIXTH MAN
11-27-2007, 02:40 PM
It's funny to see a few of these people come out and act like they werent part of the beno bashing when he was here. There is a childish mentality on these boards...and it's kind of annoying.

Not many on here said he didnt have talent, for the most part everyone knows he does. That wasnt the problem with him though, i was always a fan and wanted to see him do well, but he acted like a pussy when he was here...he was always injured and when he got his chance on the big stage he played terrible.

There's not much more pop could have done.
EXACTLY! A lot of the Beno "bashing" was said because the guy had no heart and put in zero effort during his tenure here. So that bashing was well deserved. And I call bullshit on the people in this thread that say to cut the dude some slack. How many more years should the Spurs have given him?

I for one did not hate Beno. What I did hate is the player he became. I mean the guy has so much talent. Theres no denying that. And with the exception of a few posters on this board, no win did. But when you get complacent with your development and you don't show the need to improve or desire to earn your minutes. Then expect some people to voice their frustrations with that player. Bottom line, any and almost every NBA player catches heat from time to time when they don't play to their potential. And Beno is no one special to get a free pass for doing just that.

Kibic
11-27-2007, 03:12 PM
How many more years should the Spurs have given him?

Look, you could put it this way: »How many years should Beno play or even not play for 5-7 minutes behind TP? «
The way I see: There is nothing wrong with Spurs and there is nothing wrong with Beno. They are just not compatible.

ChumpDumper
11-27-2007, 03:26 PM
He said, that he didn't ask for the trade, but he wanted out of SA.He bashed Pop in the press. That's asking to be waived.

ploto
11-27-2007, 03:52 PM
From what I saw last night, it took getting traded for Beno to find some motivation, and that's just sad.
You have no clue. Beno wanted out of SA. He was happy to have the chance to play somewhere else. It was not some awful occurrence that happened and suddenly woke him up. The only upsetting part was thinking he had to go to Minnesota, but he was relieved when they waived him and he could sign where he wanted.

S_A_Longhorn
11-27-2007, 03:59 PM
How does crow taste for breakfast this morning? I know some of you will be in denial and continue to bash him which will put you in the same class as Maverick and Suns fans. You will not be able to admit your wrong.

For being a "long time" Spurs fan, you are just plain dumb.

Don't forget your beloved Beno was absolutely owned by Hunter in the NBA Finals. Beno couldn't even bring up the ball without coughing it up to Hunter. He never recovered from that.

He simply doesn't have the ball control skills necessary to be a top point guard. He's got Tony's scoring prowess with a great jumper, but Tony can drible circles around him.

BTW, both Tony and Beno were late 1st round picks. Who's better? :lol

sendman
11-27-2007, 04:04 PM
You forgot to mention his man-purse.

ShoogarBear
11-27-2007, 04:06 PM
You forgot to mention that Pop is a mean-old meany.

sendman
11-27-2007, 04:09 PM
You forgot to mention that Pop is a mean-old meany.
Why, what did that "old fart" :oops do to you?

spurschick
11-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I just had to read the bolded part to see what kind of a person you are.

If you can read what kind of person I am from one sentence, you should have your own talk show.

spurschick
11-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Beno wanted out of SA. He was happy to have the chance to play somewhere else.

If he wanted out of SA, then why the Bee article that says he's bitter?

ploto
11-27-2007, 09:18 PM
If he wanted out of SA, then why the Bee article that says he's bitter?
Yet this, Udrih wanted to make clear, was no grudge match.

In mid-August, Udrih met with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to discuss his career. In essence, he asked for his freedom, for Popovich to let him go if he had no plans of utilizing his talents.

"I was like, 'Pop, I just want to play,' " Udrih said. "If I'm still here. I'll be professional as much as I can be, practice hard, do everything. But if you don't need me, I just want to play. I want to show myself for everybody, and that's it."

His phone rang just two hours before teams had to finalize their regular-season rosters on Oct. 27. Udrih had been traded to Minnesota, signing the official papers just 30 minutes before the deadline. He was immediately waived by the Timberwolves and signed days later by the Kings.

"They didn't let me go in a bad way," he said. "That's why I wasn't trying to go back at them (on Monday night). I just wanted to play the game and help my team win. It wasn't personal. ... They didn't need to trade me. They could've kept me, and I'd still be sitting on the bench."

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/523094.html

Try for the quotes in context next time...

spurschick
11-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Try for the quotes in context next time...

Oh yeah, now I remember why I stopped posting.
:searching for timvp's I Have A Dream thread

spurscenter
11-28-2007, 12:10 PM

well said

i love this

Thats why Pop is first class to admit fault but really pop was talent stacked for Beno to develop correctly.

TDMVPDPOY
11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
signin NVE cause of Benos weakness in the pistons series? dude played alright in the other 3 series that year.....

then whats the chances of the other teams runnin half court traps on him? nobody in the league plays defense besides us and the pistons, we only meet them 2x a season....

if he finds success somewhere else then good for him

ploto
11-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Oh yeah, now I remember why I stopped posting.
Thanks for letting everyone know it was you who bitched and moaned...

Thanks also for showing that you can not handle being shown when you are flat out wrong. If a poster can not handle a dissenting opinion, then she shouldn't post her own.

You had no idea that Beno actually asked Pop to let him go. You came in spewing mistruths that he was bitter about being traded and that having this trade happened somehow shocked him and woke him up. Then, instead of addressing the issue, you try to play the victim and try to turn people on me by saying I ran you off somehow. Then you top it off by claiming you just want it all to be wonderful and peaceful-- all from the woman who called me a cunt on here. Classic. You only dish it out, but can't take it.

ancestron
11-28-2007, 02:38 PM
I always liked Beno.

Cherry
11-28-2007, 08:18 PM
I too have never understood all the bashing of Beno that has gone on here.

I really have a hard time understand the extent of the Beno bashing too.

I wish Beno good luck, but i lost all respect for him since he did this interview:

Ekipa, 07.08.2007

Beno Udrih - Owner of two NBA championship rings hasn't recovered yet from his problems with the San Antonio Spurs

Psychically hitting bottom.

Beno has, despite only celebrating his 25th birthday on July 5th, already had an impressive career. During the 99/200 season he was named rookie of the year in the Slovenian 1st league, during season 00/01 he, together with Jiri Welsch, led Union Olimpija to a double crown (championship and cup) and was the mvp of the Slovenian league. During the 01/02 season he led Union Olimpija to a repeat of both titles adding in the process a third 0ne (Goodyear League). During 02/03 he became Israeli champion with Maccabi and during 03/04 he averaged 20 points a game in the Russian championship and 10 points a game after his transfer to the Italian premier league. He’s the only Slovenian player to boast 2 NBA rings. He played for the Slovenian NT on January 24th 2001 for the first time and since then played in 17 games during which he scored 139 points. We met with Udrih during his visit to Lake Bled.

How come you decided to visit Bled?

I haven’t had the opportunity to have some real holidays in the last 7 years. I wanted to show to my American girlfriend some of the beauties of Slovenia. I of course started with the most beautiful parts: Bled and Bohinj and their surroundings. The other reasons why we started our visit to Slovenia in Bled is a visit to my father’s cousin Stefan Udrih. My girlfriend and I went on a 12 hours trek in the Triglav National park led by my cousin Ales Udrih. I was also happy at the news that Radovljica basketball club honored me for the second time as an NBA ring recipient. The first time it was at the NT game against Finland, that was played in Radovljica and the second time was now during a celebration since the club management is trying to stabilize the situation in the club and with my help attract as much young talent as possible. We were happy to help them and the feelings were great since they are, with the exception of the people of Lasko – who honored me two years ago, the only organization that felt the need to thank me, something similar from the National Basketball Organization never happened.

You are the only Slovenian with two NBA rings. Where do you keep them?

The firs ring I keep at home in Slovenia, I haven’t received the second one. A funny anecdote that happened at the first ring ceremony was a banner in the locker room that read “World Champions”, Manu striked out the word “world” and wrote in “NBA” instead and followed to write that he was the only world champion present.

How satisfied are you with the past championship season?

Before the season the coach promised me that I would get a chance to play during every game. Playing with stars like Manu and Tony I knew I could get 10 to 15 minutes max. The first part of the season (approx. 40 games) I played great, since I was averaging 8 points and 3 assists playing the aforementioned minutes. (!?)

All of the sudden you were confined to the bench. Do you know why?

The reason for me not playing was a small mistake that snuck up on me during a game against Dallas. During that game I played 1 minute and 30 seconds and during a play I didn’t play aggressively enough. The coach immediately yanked me out of the game and to my bad luck the player that replaced me dove after a lost ball and hit the coaches bench. The coach told me after the game that that was what he demanded from me.

But you were confined to the bench for the whole remainder of the season?

The non-American (especially European players) in the NBA are discriminated against and have to pay dearly for every mistake we make. In a champions team like the Spurs we even have big names like Barry and Finley that come from the bench after stars like Tony and Manu. Jacques Vaughn, who has a similar status to mine in the team, took advantage of my mistake - we both fight for the same 10 minutes of playing time.

Were you sad about that?

Of course I was. During 40 games I proved I had what it takes. I knew I was in excellent form, but couldn’t do anything because I wasn’t given a chance. You have no idea how much that influences one’s psyche. After good performances you are forced to seat on the bench and support you teammates, tell them to get over mistakes and comfort them that it’ll be better next time. At the same time you know you could do a better job than them if you would only get another chance – a chance that never came.

In Slovenia in later in Europe you were known as a rational and calm player. Did that helped you in that situation?

<long boring answer basically saying that he only got T’ed once in his whole career and I’m too lazy to translate the end however is quite funny:> Although this year was for me the hardest I had to come to term with my situation in San Antonio. That’s life and with luck will also come injustices and you have to take them in your stride.

Is this also the reason for your absence from this year’s NT?

First I’d like to apologize for my absence from this year’s European championship to all the Slovenian basketball aficionados. I know that my fans will understand that I ‘am drained psychically and that I am still struggling with my recovery. Next year my contract with the Spurs runs out and I have to be prepared to the max for this season. After the 07/08 season I’ll be a free agent and will get the opportunity to pick the team where I’ll continue my career. I will definitely be at the disposal of the NT coach next year. My personal wish would be to continue playing in the NBA. But when deciding where to play I will pay special attention to the playing time that they will be able to offer me. Last year I got a great offer from Barcelona that I had to refuse because of my NBA ambitions. European basketball is definitely an option for me, but I also know that almost nobody has succeeded to come back to the NBA after leaving. Manu had a similar experience to mine in San Antonio where he spent the first two years riding the bench and waiting for his opportunity. We all know how big a star Manu is now. I hope I will not brag too much when I say that Manu and I are very similar players.(:lmao) We are both left handed, we’re both shooters and distributors while capable of penetrating to the basket, I do feel however that I am a better play organizer (leader would probably be a better translation?), since Manu plays the number 2 spot more. That this is true is best proven during one on one training sessions where Manu always picks me as his opponent. If the Spurs would offer me a new contract, and of course more playing time, I would definitely sign with them. You don’t change from a championship winning team. But playing time is my main priority right now.

Is there a difference between European and NBA basketball?

Enormous. Above all you must understand that in America basketball is a business where there's no room for sentimentality. The spectators demand a show and the owners demand a profit. Two seasons ago they brought Nick Van Exel to the Spurs, a 13 years veteran NBA basketball player. Us the younger players did not get a chance to play since the spectators demanded to see a legend of basketball play who on top was also an American. Another difference is the organization itself. As an example I’d like to tell you that I have already earned my NBA pension. Any player that plays in the NBA for more than 3 years will after he reaches the age of 65 receive a pension from the NBA. Of course the value of this pension depends on the number of years played and the value of the contract(s). This year I really suffered mentally, after all that I experienced while following the games from the bench somebody in Slovenia had the audacity to write an article titled “Beno reaches his second champions title without breaking a sweat”. This writer doesn’t have the faintest idea that I’ve attended all the training sessions that are even more strenuous for the bench players. After the training is finished and the starting 5 and their backups leave, the rest of us that are waiting for an opportunity have to do another full hour of hard work in the training facility. In you head you are full of doubt and keep wandering why you’re not playing, you are sweating rivers and then you read a title like that…

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75782&highlight=beno+interview

Cherry
11-28-2007, 08:35 PM

I told someone a long time ago that Beno's cockiness is actually his attempt to hide his true insecurity.

ploto
11-28-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't see how those 2 posts are supposed to be related. Me saying in a different context that when Beno comes across as overly cocky, he is actually insecure has nothing to do with the claim that he is bitter about being traded. He isn't bitter and he was not acting cocky the other night.

Most people who talk themselves up too much are really trying to deal with their insecurities at the time; those who are quiet are usually the most secure. Holds true for much more than Beno.