PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs notebook: Udrih reveling in solid role with Kings

some_user86
11-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Spurs notebook: Udrih reveling in solid role with Kings

Web Posted: 11/26/2007 11:11 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — A little more than three weeks ago, coach Reggie Theus heralded Beno Udrih's arrival with the kind of cavalry-is-coming melodramatics that only plays well in old Civil War movies.
"Help is on the way," Theus announced after the Kings signed the Spurs' castoff to play point guard on Nov 1.

These days, Theus' proclamation doesn't sound so dramatic.

Taking advantage of the Kings' dearth of healthy point guards, Udrih has shaken off a preseason finger injury to become a key component in their plans. He even started against his former team Monday night.

In his first seven games with Sacramento, he averaged 12.7 points, 4.3 assists and 33.4 minutes — numbers he never could have approached with the Spurs.

"Quite a bit of what we needed, he offers," Theus said. "He can penetrate, he can get inside the defense. He can shoot the ball, he can hit the open guy."

Jettisoned by the Spurs in October after three mercurial seasons, Udrih has found a new lease on basketball life in Sacramento.

"Playing regular minutes has helped my confidence," Udrih said. "In San Antonio I never knew how much I would play. I won't come out here if I miss one or two shots in a row."

Udrih averaged 5.2 points in 207 career games with the Spurs, spending a long chunk of his stay in coach Gregg Popovich's doghouse.

While with the Spurs, Udrih mostly kept quiet. In a recent story in the Sacramento Bee, however, Udrih said he felt unappreciated while with the Spurs.

Udrih isn't the only one who believes he was mishandled in San Antonio. Popovich believes it, too.

"I did a poor job of creating an environment where he could get better," Popovich said. "He's a natural at the position. I just wish I had done a better job with him."

Grading on a curve: Popovich says his team is playing "C-plus defense" so far this season, despite giving up just 91.5 points per game, second fewest in the league. That's because Popovich puts more stock in field-goal percentage defense, in which the Spurs rank 23rd at 45.9 percent.

Of course, at this point in the season, every grade is relative.

"I think most of the league right now are below C-plus," Theus said. "If you're grading on a curve, they're pretty damn good."

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.112707.spurs_notebook.EN.2908f28.html