PDA

View Full Version : What was the last good book you read?

MagnusKrauss
11-27-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm sorry if this has been posted before....but I can't seem to help myself.

Why is it that I like Thomas Hardy novels? I just read Jude the Obscure and I'm currently working on The Woodlanders.

so what books have you guys been reading lately?

clambake
11-27-2007, 11:12 AM
the secret history of the american empire.

stretch
11-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Hank The Cowdog.

Thunder Dan
11-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Sex,Drugs and Coca Puffs by Chuck Klosterman.

it's a book that compares pop culture to everyday life. It's really good and really funny. Chuck is a really smart writer.

easjer
11-27-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm currently re-reading the Mallory series by Carol O'Connell. Damn, I love those books. Also currently reading I am America and So Can You! by Stephen Colbert and Helen of Troy by Margaret George. Margaret George also wrote a fantastic historical fiction about Mary Magdalene (Mary Called Magdalene) and Cleopatra (the Memoirs of Cleopatra) - a couple of others that I haven't read.

Also recently read some John Sandford stuff I liked. I really like the Kidd novels.

I think the last scholarly book I read was Fraser's biography of Marie Antoinette, and that was some time ago. I'd like to re-read the Ilyiad when I'm done with Helen of Troy. And maybe re-read Plato's Republic some time next year.

MagnusKrauss
11-27-2007, 11:43 AM
I wish I could get copies of those.

I have to resort to used books stores because that's all i can afford.

a new copy costs about as much as a dinner for two at a good restaurant here.

MagnusKrauss
11-27-2007, 11:47 AM
I like reading The Republic. Damn depressing stuff considering how the world is nowadays. I've read it twice (just to make sure I understood what he was saying)

Reminds me of that scene in Waking Life..."Which is the more common trait in humanity? Fear? or Laziness?" something like that....

easjer
11-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I wish I could get copies of those.

I have to resort to used books stores because that's all i can afford.

a new copy costs about as much as a dinner for two at a good restaurant here.

Copies of what? Where are you? I sometimes have good luck with half.com and ebay for out of print books at low rates. Reminds me, I really enjoyed the last Val McDermid book; wonder if she's got anything else coming out soon.

Cry Havoc
11-27-2007, 12:13 PM
The Five People You Meet in Heaven

and

A Clash of Kings.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-27-2007, 12:15 PM
http://www.poynteronline.org/resource/100121/letters205_337.jpg

http://www.simonsays.com/assets/isbn/0743298136/C_0743298136.jpg

MagnusKrauss
11-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Eh, I live in -bleeeeeeep-. And if I'm combing the used-books, I probably don't have a credit card. :depressed

I want books....BOoooksss....must have boookkkkkssss :hungry: :drool:

anakha
11-27-2007, 12:19 PM
A Clash of Kings

Just finished that. Surprisingly good stuff.

easjer
11-27-2007, 12:45 PM
SFIE wants :07 seconds or less for Christmas. . . maybe Santa will bring it to him.

Slomo
11-27-2007, 12:56 PM
I just finished Neal Stephenson "The Cobweb" (I'm a big fan of Stephenson after "Cryptonomicon"), before that Michael Connelly "The Narrows".

I'm now at roughly the first quarter of "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson - Very good biography, excellent read so far.

P.S. "7 seconds or less" is IMO a must read for any basketball fan, even if it's about the Suns. :p:

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Hank The Cowdog.
:tu Those books blow Harry Potter's wand licking ass right out of the water.

CosmicCowboy
11-27-2007, 01:43 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YGAFW55FL.jpg

A fast read and pretty darn good. read it and a couple of other books this weekend.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Hank The Cowdog.
:tu

And To Kill a Mockingbird.

leemajors
11-27-2007, 05:56 PM
i read reginald hill's dalziel and pascoe series (19 books!) in about two months. incredibly good british detective fiction. October Boy wasn't bad for a short little horror story either, by Norman Partridge. Also on my list are some more of G.K. Chesterton - the Man who was Thursday was incredible, as are his Father Brown stories.

dirk4mvp
11-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Hank The Cowdog.

This is great stuff.

florige
11-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Hank The Cowdog.

WTF.... :lol :lol :lol :lol

CuckingFunt
11-27-2007, 07:09 PM
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8658/41abhmr3d5lss500mx3.jpg

Wasn't the last book I read, but I thought "L.A. Confidential" was a bit of a let down, so I'm calling this one the last good book I read.

I can't stand splitting my attention between more than one book, though, so I've taken a break from recreational reading during the semester. Will make up for it this summer -- I've got a stack of about 10 books I'm hoping to get through, including others by Palahniuk. Since his are such quick reads ("Fight Club" is the only one that has taken me more than one day to read, and that's because I started it at 8:00 PM one Saturday and finished it the next day), I'd actually like to get through even more. I've missed reading.

Brutalis
11-27-2007, 08:03 PM
I burn books.

Mister Sinister
11-27-2007, 08:06 PM
I just finished reading the Omen novels. Good stuff.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-27-2007, 08:11 PM
I just started reading "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton. Pretty good so far.

johnsmith
11-27-2007, 08:29 PM
I know it's a little too mainstream, but I really enjoy James Patterson books. They are perfect for a two hour long flight because between waiting for the plane, travel time, and a hotel room, you can always finish one.

Anyway, I just read "The Lifeguard" by patterson, it was good stuff.

Still a little confused though at how he writes a 300 page book per month.

baseline bum
11-27-2007, 08:43 PM
http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd_front.jpg

L.I.T
11-27-2007, 10:43 PM
The Historian

ashbeeigh
11-27-2007, 10:48 PM
It's a toss up between Blue Like Jazz and Velvet Elvis. I'm in the middle of This Beautiful Mess and loving that.

Jekka
11-27-2007, 11:25 PM
A Clash of Kings.
I'm in the middle of that series right now, a quarter of the way through A Storm of Swords. Martin's supposed to be nearly finished with the fifth.

I also somewhat recently finished the last volume in Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series, very nice.

ShoogarBear
11-27-2007, 11:29 PM
The Kite Runner.

Not bad.

tlongII
11-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Curious George at the Aquarium

mrsmaalox
11-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Curious George at the Aquarium
Ooh a classic! :toast I tend to buy alot of books and then forget I bought them, then go out and buy more. I just finished the Jean Rhys (The Wide Sargasso Sea) series I bought in London about 20 yrs ago. It was all so depressing I am balancing it out now with an Al Franken book I bought at Dollar Tree about 3yrs ago!

MagnusKrauss
11-28-2007, 05:25 AM
I'm still waiting to see if I can find the rest of the Skylark series by E.E. Smith. I already have 2 of them and I can't read them yet (neither are the first in the series)

Jimcs50
11-28-2007, 09:53 AM
http://www.algonquin.com/is/pgrow/products/covers/1565125606.jpg

Great book, I highly recommend it.

A synopsis:

As a young man, Jacob Jankowski was tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. It was the early part of the great Depression, and for Jacob, now ninety, the circus world he remembers was both his salvation and a living hell. A veterinary student just shy of a degree, he was put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie.

It was there that he met Marlena, the beautiful equestrian star married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. And he met Rosie, an untrainable elephant who was the great gray hope for this third-rate traveling show. The bond that grew among this unlikely trio was one of love and trust, and, ultimately, it was their only hope for survival.

CosmicCowboy
11-28-2007, 09:58 AM
This is what I am currently reading...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0804119120.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Excellent book.

Yuixafun
11-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan - Path of Daggers.

Mr. Peabody
11-28-2007, 08:37 PM
http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1374270/article_images/image2_1195226500.jpg

I've always thought that Steve Martin was one of the greatest comedians of my lifetime. His biography is fantastic.

dimsah
11-28-2007, 08:39 PM
"T and Me" by George Peppard

"For the Last Time, I'm not Mr. T" by Ving Rhames

The Wycliffe Bible

The Book of Law

phyzik
11-29-2007, 12:10 AM
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780312936150&itm=2

Best book I've read in a long time. great TRUE historical facts behind it. Mithridates was the last REAL badass king to ever live.

FACTS: At age eleven, he inherited a small mountain kingdom of wild tribesmen whom his wicked mother governed in his place. Sweeping to power at twenty-one-years-old, he proved to be a military genius and a man intent on ousting the Romans from the Black Sea coast territories. For over forty years, Rome sent its greatest generals to contain Mithridates, but time and again he embarrassed the Romans with devastating defeats. Each time Rome declared victory, Mithridates considered it merely a strategic retreat and soon came roaring back with a more powerful army than before.

iminlakerland
11-29-2007, 03:31 AM
http://www.curledup.com/books/cloudunk.jpg
David Sears grew up in the shadow of his brilliant younger sister, Diana, convinced by their father that she would accomplish great things. Instead, she married and had a son, Jason, who—like David and Diana’s father—is schizophrenic. Her husband, Mark, a geneticist, never made peace with Jason’s condition.

Perhaps this is why, when Jason drowns, Diana will not accept the authorities’ conclusion that his death was accidental. Or perhaps Diana is going mad. She begins to send David faxes and e-mails about ancient murders, driven by her growing belief that the earth is Gaia, a living witness to her son’s murder who could give evidence in the case she is building against her husband. David soon fears for his own family’s safety as the seductive qualities of Diana’s manic energy become impossible to ignore.

In The Cloud of Unknowing, Cook explores the power of blood and family mythology.

--------------------

http://www.revolutionbooks.org/photos/JesusLand-2T.jpg
Julia Scheeres stumbles across these signs along the side of a cornfield while out biking with her adopted brother, David. It's the mid-1980s, they're sixteen years old and have just moved to rural Indiana, a landscape of cottonwood trees and trailer parks — and a racism neither of them is prepared for. While Julia is white, her close relationship with David, who is black, makes them both outcasts. At home, a distant mother — more involved with her church's missionaries than with her own children — and a violent father only compound their problems. When the day comes that high-school hormones, bullying, and a deep-seated restlessness prove too much to bear, the parents send Julia and David to the Dominican Republic — to a reform school there.

In this riveting memoir, first-time author Scheeres takes us with her from the Midwest to a place beyond our imagining. Surrounded by natural beauty, the Escuela Caribe is governed by a disciplinary regime that demands its teens repent for their sins under boot-camp conditions. Julia and David's determination to make it through with heart and soul intact is told here with immediacy, candor, sparkling humor, and not a note of malice.

George W Bush
11-29-2007, 02:26 PM
My Pet Goat

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/livindeadboi/MyPetGoat.jpg

1Parker1
12-01-2007, 09:34 AM
The Kite Runner.

Not bad.

I read that a couple months ago, it was really good.

I am reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. It is very good thus far :tu