PDA

View Full Version : Josh Childress MIGHT be available

PlaneFast
11-27-2007, 06:03 PM
I know this is a very long way away, but I think it would be great if we can land Josh Childress next offseason. The Hawks have tons of wings and have to resign Josh Smith, so someone might get a deal on Childress.

He's yet another long 3, but smart and efficient PER-wise.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FreeAgents--071127

7. Josh Childress, Hawks -- Childress doesn't get nearly the respect or hype of many of his teammates in Atlanta, but he's been a devastatingly effective sixth man and seems expendable given all of Atlanta's wing talent. He probably can't get more than a midlevel deal on this market, but he'd be a bargain at that price.

5. Josh Smith, Hawks -- On talent and potential, Smith should be near the top of the list. He's a freakish athlete who can score, rebound and block shots. What holds him back is a questionable attitude. It's not clear that the Hawks want to give him a long-term lucrative deal. In fact, it's not clear whether the Hawks can give him one with their current ownership dispute.

Smith is one of the few restricted free agents a team with cap space may try to pluck away -- the same way the Hawks did with Joe Johnson a few years ago.

ChumpDumper
11-27-2007, 06:05 PM
So he's not actually available.

PlaneFast
11-27-2007, 06:12 PM
OK, fixed...

Tippecanoe
11-27-2007, 08:41 PM
keep dreamin

Dex
11-27-2007, 08:51 PM
http://images.art.com/images/-/Jim-Carrey---Dumb-Dumber--C10102378.jpeg
So you're tellin' me there's a chance!

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-27-2007, 08:56 PM
:lmao

Hemotivo
11-27-2007, 10:09 PM
:lmao

CubanMustGo
11-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Premature ejaculation forum.

phyzik
11-27-2007, 11:03 PM
:rollin

AFBlue
11-27-2007, 11:13 PM
He's a restricted FA and even though the Hawks have a surplus of wing players, he is a key reserve for them.

I had initially thought that one of their many wings would need to be traded in order to get a reliable PG or C, but they drafted Al Horford and Acie Law.

Bottom Line: Offer Childress the MLE and they'll match.

Mr. Body
11-28-2007, 01:22 AM
I can see Atlanta trading him out for a needed player. Just that the Spurs don't have much to trade.

THE SIXTH MAN
11-28-2007, 02:20 AM
Damn this thread is false advertisement!

itzsoweezee
11-28-2007, 02:58 AM
lmao. you're out of your mind if you think josh childress could only get a midlevel exception. remind me to never read any of your posts again.

PlaneFast
11-28-2007, 04:41 AM
He's a restricted FA and even though the Hawks have a surplus of wing players, he is a key reserve for them.

I had initially thought that one of their many wings would need to be traded in order to get a reliable PG or C, but they drafted Al Horford and Acie Law.

Bottom Line: Offer Childress the MLE and they'll match.

I believe Josh Smith is a starter who'll also be a restricted FA. If they match a big offer for him, then they may not be able or willing to match a market value offer for Childress.

I just think it'd suck for Childress to be stuck on the Hawks. I think a guy with a good BB IQ, good attitude, team player, and long wing span could do much better in a better situation.

AFBlue
11-28-2007, 07:10 AM
I believe Josh Smith is a starter who'll also be a restricted FA. If they match a big offer for him, then they may not be able or willing to match a market value offer for Childress.

I just think it'd suck for Childress to be stuck on the Hawks. I think a guy with a good BB IQ, good attitude, team player, and long wing span could do much better in a better situation.

Childress wouldn't be "stuck" on the Hawks. While they're not a playoff contender yet and they're still led by a pretty bad GM, they have taken alot of steps towards becoming a respectable franchise.

I'm not saying your scenario isn't entirely possible, but this is not the fiscally conservative ownership group that is mired in a battle to keep the team (despite what ESPN says), as it was in the few previous years.

They have built their team through the draft with young players and coach woodson has found a way to get each of them the playing time they deserve.

IMO, they view Josh Childress as a key piece to taking this team to the next level. That means if the Spurs offer him the MLE, I'm pretty sure they'd match.

P.S. I expect them to make FA offers to both next summer and not have to go through the "matching" process for either.

mrsmaalox
11-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Damn this thread is false advertisement!
"Bait and switch"

MoSpur
11-28-2007, 10:14 AM
I'd rather have Josh Smith.

Mr. Body
11-28-2007, 11:12 AM
lmao. you're out of your mind if you think josh childress could only get a midlevel exception. remind me to never read any of your posts again.

There was an article a while back about how teams are automatically re-upping their young players at a reducing rate, with a big impact this summer. There may not be a ton of money to go around with a healthy portion of good young players.

MoSpur
11-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Will the Spurs be under the cap this off-season and if so, how much under? Enough to make a run at someone?