PDA

View Full Version : The Ones that Got Away

J.T.
11-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Couldn't find anything on this subject after doing a brief search. Might be a touchy subject for some Spurs fans but I'm interested in knowing what you guys think... here it goes.

Through the Robinson and Duncan eras, the Spurs have had their share of postseason heartbreaks to go along with their dynastic success. That success has given us legendary game winning or game changing shots that gave the Silver & Black the win in swing games, series clinching games, and championship clinching games. But then there were the ones that didn't go in or are forgotten because the Spurs were eliminated. I'd like to get some input from other fans as to which shots are the proverbial top 10 of "what could have been". I'll start it out with the most recent two shots that got away.

1. Tim Duncan, Game 5, 2004 WCSF - I hesitated to rank this one in first place, but after thinking about a bit, it became apparent that this shot is the best of the Ones That Got Away. This shot put the Spurs on top after a ferocious comeback, and was one of the most difficult shots Tim Duncan has made. As I watched the ball leave his hands, I didn't think it was going in. That far away from the basket, and shooting over Shaq... and then it goes in! It would have been one of the most ecstatic wins I've witnessed just because of the comeback coupled with such a difficult shot being the game winner. It was an amazing shot to say the least. If the Spurs had won the game and gone on to win the series, we would have called it The Duncan Dagger.

2. Manu Ginobili, Game 7, 2006 WCSF - This was my original No. 1 before I deliberated over which should get top bid. This is a special shot for me because I was in attendance at the game. The Spurs had come back from an enormous deficit, both in the game in the series. Up by 3 with 30 seconds to play, it appeared that the game would become a free throw battle, and that Pop would send in the best FT shooters to put the icing on the cake. That shot could have capped off the biggest comeback in Spurs history, but Manu gave it right back to the Mavericks on the ensuing play. The bright spot about this shot not going down in history is that Manu has improved his game and not lost any confidence. That is the kind of moment that could derail the career of a lesser player. Because of the nature of the shot and what it would have stood for if the Spurs won the game, we would have called it "The Shot" in the same sense as many clutch moments in the NFL are named (The Drive, The Fumble, etc.).

baseline bum
11-28-2007, 01:54 AM
3. Beno Udrih for luxury tax relief. He comes back and scores 37 on us and then kisses Eva and steals Finley's ring.

E20
11-28-2007, 01:55 AM
Not really a shot, but the PO's where Duncan got injured.

SAtown
11-28-2007, 02:03 AM
Game 1 of the 1995 WCF, Elliott misses a wide open layup at the end of regulation to win the game (IIRC). We lose the first two at home, win games 3 & 4, lose the next two.

Capt Bringdown
11-28-2007, 02:08 AM
The Pass, courtesy of Rod Strickland.

Holt's Cat
11-28-2007, 02:15 AM
Those are 3 and 4. The Pass is still the worst. After that, The Phantom Foul back in '79.

At least by the time of '04 and '06 the Spurs had a few rings.

J.T.
11-28-2007, 02:18 AM
Those are 3 and 4. The Pass is still the worst. After that, The Phantom Foul back in '79.

I ranked picked those two to start off the discussion because I truly believe those are the two moments that blocked the Spurs from winning four in a row.

timvp
11-28-2007, 02:19 AM
I ranked picked those two to start off the discussion because I truly believe those are the two moments that blocked the Spurs from winning five in a row.

J.T.
11-28-2007, 03:34 AM
^ My fault, four is a gut reaction when talking about Spurs rings for me, for now at least.

ShoogarBear
11-28-2007, 03:59 AM
Even though 79 and The Pass hurt, somehow nothing was worse for me than 0.4* and Manu's foul.

Extra Stout
11-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Barkley's shot in '93.

Guajalote
11-28-2007, 09:11 AM

Ugh! I completely agree. That one was the hardest for me. I was sitting on the floor 2 feet from the tv when that happened. Right when Portland took "the pass" back down for a lay-in, I dropped my head down and my friend's puppy (with needle sharp teeth) chose that moment to jump up and nip the end of my nose. That's the first time I felt the pain in every sense of the word.

Hemotivo
11-28-2007, 09:36 AM
:pctoss

TDMVPDPOY
11-28-2007, 09:41 AM
juwon howard clearing my.loyalty in the mavs/spurs series

my2sons
11-28-2007, 09:57 AM
79 hurt because that felt like it was taken away from us. .4 was a lucky shot, 79 was a concerted effort

Spurs1234
11-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Everyone seems to remember the game 7 vs. Dallas in 2006 and the .4 shot, but as mentioned before, atleast we had multiple titles, so even though we lost you could say, "we will regroup and come back stronger next year." Which in both cases thes spurs did and won titles. The one recent game (in the TD era) that I remember was gut wrenching was game 4 vs. the lakers in 2002. Remember at this point, we only had one title and many thought of the spurs as a transition champion, one that occurred between the dynasty bulls breaking up and the dynasty lakers getting their start. I must admit, after that lakers game 4, I was starting to believe that as well. After getting swept and embarrassed in 2001 WCF, the spurs took a promising second game victory in that series to take back home court. Game 3, the spurs were down most of the game and just didn't have it. After Game 3, I figured the Spurs really lost their lone opportunity to take the series, but was hopeful they could win game 4 and atleast make a series out of it. I remember Game 4, it was on a sunday, and the Spurs were up most of the game, until the Lakers and mostly Bryant made a great comeback and stole the game. I remember the pivotal play being Bryant getting an offensive rebound, putting it up for the bucket and pretty much ending the game. The reason that one hurt more then those others, is because at that point it seemed the Spurs would never beat the Lakers. Ever. TD's career would have one title, and 10 seasons where they played runner up to the Lakers. I remember after that game, thinking how hopeless the spurs were in trying to conquer the dominant lakers. Little did I know.

MoSpur
11-28-2007, 10:33 AM
To me its a tie between Strickland's no look pass and .4. The pass was at a time when the Spurs hadn't won anything. I thought at that time that we would go on to win the championship for the first time, but that pass ruined it.

.4 should have never counted. Stern wasn't happy with Duncan making the winning shot and so he gave the Lakers that shot.

SenorSpur
11-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Game #7 of the '79 ECF series still rankles me as far as sheer conspiracy. But for pure pain, it's the Manu foul versus the Mavs was worse. Probably because of all the momentum that had been built from the improbable comeback in both the series and the game. That foul was so sudden and unexpected.

What should have turned into a FT shooting contest, with the Spurs ahead by 3, turned into a disasterous OT loss on the heels of that unnecessary play. Which cost the Spurs a chance to repeat as NBA champions.

cherylsteele
11-28-2007, 12:50 PM

I was gonna say the "foul" of '79. Gervin would have had his best chance at a title.

Spurminator
11-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Duncan's shot, because it came against a Lakers team with Shaq AND Malone AND Jackson on it... it would have been nice to finish them off and exorcize some demons of the past.

Spurminator
11-28-2007, 12:53 PM
What should have turned into a FT shooting contest, with the Spurs ahead by 1, turned into a disasterous OT loss on the heels of that unnecessary play. Which cost the Spurs a chance to repeat as NBA champions.

Corrected.

And this is why that foul doesn't bother me as much... The game as a whole bothers me but I've never singled out the foul because I'm not convinced we would have finished them off at the FT line.

We shouldn't have allowed them to shoot 90% in the first half, and we still should have beaten them in OT.

urunobili
11-28-2007, 08:22 PM
vote here

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81449&highlight=play+hurt