PDA

View Full Version : Spurs mailbag: You've got questions; We've got cholera

duncan228
11-28-2007, 11:58 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA.112807.SpursMailbag.EN.4655ceca.html

Spurs mailbag: You've got questions; We've got cholera

Web Posted: 11/27/2007 10:36 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

SOMEWHERE 3,500 FEET ABOVE THE PART OF ARIZONA THAT IS NOT THE GRAND CANYON — The flight home from Sacramento is overbooked. There are children crying like orphans. Judging by his wet cough, the fat man next spilling over into my middle seat appears to have cholera.

Worse still, the in-flight movie is something featuring Vin Diesel. I think I’d prefer to have cholera.

All in all, a perfect time to answer your Spurs-related questions .....

Can't you field better questions? I understand it is early in the season, however, I believe the Spurs need better outside shooting. Finley is too inconsistent and Bonner can't shoot. A large part of the offense plan is to work ball inside then out. Any chance the Spurs make a move by the trade deadline?
—Jack, San Antonio

Each week, my inbox tends to be overloaded with three types of missives. 1) Transmissions from the NBA/Spurs; 2) Transmissions from readers wondering if I can get Tim Duncan to autograph something; 3) Transmissions from readers — most of them Argentine — wondering why Gregg Popovich hates Manu Ginobili and won’t start him.

What you read here is usually the best of the rest. For that, I apologize.

To answer your best-of-the-rest question, the Spurs have actually been fairly adept at hitting outside shots this season. They seem to hit the double-digit mark in 3-pointers in every game. Also, the Spurs would be surprised to learn Matt Bonner can’t shoot, since it seems to be his most readily visible skill, besides beard-growing.

Why is it when the Spurs play the Mavs they act like they are scared of them? Is it because the refs always call in favor of the Mavs?
—Sally, San Antonio

I think you just made Mark Cuban spit Dom Pérignon through his nose, he was laughing so hard.

Why did the Spurs let Luis Scola go? Watching his play, you'd think he would be a great asset when the Spurs play the Mavs (and, at this point, they could use help against the Mavs).
—Toni, Washington, D.C.

Ah, a fourth category of Spurs Mailbag frequently asked question – what were the Spurs thinking with the Scola deal? Next you’ll be asking why the Spurs got rid of Beno Udrih. Twenty-seven points later, you’d have a point.

Why don't they let Ime Udoka have more playing time? I think he has a lot of potential and fits the Spurs’ system.
—Ryan Buendia, Philippines

The Spurs signed Udoka to be a defensive stopper and occasional 3-point shooter, a la Bruce Bowen. But they would prefer to have him apprentice a year in the system before relying on him too heavily, a la Fabricio Oberto.

If someone in front of him gets hurt, Udoka is a nice insurance policy to have. Until then, well, at least he signed a two-year deal. There’s always next year.

Do the Spurs want Tim Duncan to take most of his shots in the paint, or rather have him get a feel for what’s working? I would like to see them run some plays where he gets his outside shot going and then he can use that great up fake and get to bucket.
—Lupe, San Antonio

We’ll pass your suggestion on to Pop. As for your question regarding the spots from which the Spurs would like Duncan to shoot, it’s a lot like the old joke — Where does an 800-pound gorilla sit when he comes into your living room? Answer: Anywhere he wants.

timvp
11-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Judging by his wet cough, the fat man next spilling over into my middle seat appears to have cholera. Since when is coughing a symptom of cholera? Perhaps McDonald meant something else when he wrote the word "cough" . . .

MaNuMaNiAc
11-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Worse still, the in-flight movie is something featuring Vin Diesel. I think I’d prefer to have cholera.

why doesn't he have cholera??

timvp
11-28-2007, 12:22 PM
What a waste of space.

Failbag :td

vanvannen
11-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Didn't like his answers at all.
Most of them are just him making fun of the fans asking the questions. What a tool. Stop being such a smartass and answer the god damn question. :ihit

Mr. Body
11-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Maybe the guy shitting all over him has cholera?

easjer
11-28-2007, 12:34 PM
I thought he had some legit questions that he answered with snark.

Snark is fine for a message board, but lame for a reporter.

I thought cholera was primarily an intestinal disease. But I'm too lazy to go Google it for confirmation. Regardless, whooping cough or tuberculosis would have been quick easy options for use, though it wouldn't have contained an allusion to a movie in theatres now.

Spurminator
11-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Reminds me of the movie Comedian where the young guy's big gag involves the arbitrary use of Lupus.

SenorSpur
11-28-2007, 02:00 PM
[url]

Why don't they let Ime Udoka have more playing time? I think he has a lot of potential and fits the Spurs’ system.
—Ryan Buendia, Philippines

The Spurs signed Udoka to be a defensive stopper and occasional 3-point shooter, a la Bruce Bowen. But they would prefer to have him apprentice a year in the system before relying on him too heavily, a la Fabricio Oberto.

If someone in front of him gets hurt, Udoka is a nice insurance policy to have. Until then, well, at least he signed a two-year deal. There’s always next year. .

This is one thing that bugs me about Pop. His tendency to stick too long with a struggling veteran.

In the Sacto game, it was clear Washington and Udoka had made significant contributions toward the comeback. Yet he takes them out and re-inserts the vets who were obviously struggling and fatigued. Meanwhile, Sac hiked the lead back up. Comeback averted.

If a veteran is struggling and the team overall is struggling, shake something up. Don't be afraid of giving a new player a chance. I'm not saying permanently bench the vet, but go with whomever is producing.

phyzik
11-28-2007, 02:06 PM
What a waste of space.

Failbag :td

Failbag :rollin

dont know why thats making me laugh so much.

1Parker1
11-28-2007, 02:13 PM
SOMEWHERE 3,500 FEET ABOVE THE PART OF ARIZONA THAT IS NOT THE GRAND CANYON — The flight home from Sacramento is overbooked. There are children crying like orphans. Judging by his wet cough, the fat man next spilling over into my middle seat appears to have cholera.

How weird...seriously he was the best writer the Express News could find?? Even our Philly Inquirer guys are better!

SpursFanFirst
11-28-2007, 02:31 PM
I thought he had some legit questions that he answered with snark.

Snark is fine for a message board, but lame for a reporter.

I thought cholera was primarily an intestinal disease. But I'm too lazy to go Google it for confirmation. Regardless, whooping cough or tuberculosis would have been quick easy options for use, though it wouldn't have contained an allusion to a movie in theatres now.

Here you go...did the work for ya :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholera
Cholera (or Asiatic cholera or epidemic cholera) is an extreme diarrhoeal disease caused by the bacterium.
Symptoms include those of general GI tract (stomach) upset and massive watery diarrhea.

I'll spare you the rest of the details! :lol

easjer
11-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Aw, thanks, chica! And right as I'm finishing lunch! I figured I was right.

Shred
11-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Cholera is the least of Fat Antonio's Problems. (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA112807.01E.Obesity.20822fa.html)

Mister Sinister
11-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Cholera is the least of Fat Antonio's Problems. (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA112807.01E.Obesity.20822fa.html)
http://masklinnscans.free.fr/4chan/who_cares_01.jpg

Spurminator
11-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Maybe he meant bronchitis?

E20
11-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Maybe he meant he should shut the fuck up and stop writing?

GrandeDavid
11-28-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of the Express News in general, but especially the Spurs coverage. I miss J. Ludden, he was a pretty good beat writer.

duncan228
11-28-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of the Express News in general, but especially the Spurs coverage. I miss J. Ludden, he was a pretty good beat writer.

I thought Ludden was one of the better beat reporter's.
I miss him too.

timmo
11-28-2007, 07:16 PM
And now all we can do is read his story about Gilbert Arenas (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba_experts/post/Injury-dampens-Arenas-hopes-of-big-payday;_ylt=ArxsE9ZcF43nTOTGyIlGucm8vLYF?urn=nba,5 4712) .
Sad.

ShoogarBear
11-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Holy crap.

No pun intended.

Ludden's first couple of mailbags were bad, but nothing like this.

WTF, Blaze, would the E-N respond to an attempted reader coup to install you as beat reporter?

Buddy Holly
11-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Clearly the Express-News sent out fliers asking for Bill Simmons wannabes.

remingtonbo2001
11-28-2007, 07:38 PM

I'd rather be surrounded by fat people, than old people.

There less annoying. :spin

timvp
11-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Holy crap.

No pun intended.Damn it I was waiting for ShoogarBear to tell timvp how coughing was indeed a symptom of cholera.

:madrun

texbound
11-28-2007, 11:10 PM
[url]SOMEWHERE 3,500 FEET ABOVE THE PART OF ARIZONA THAT IS NOT THE GRAND CANYON.

That's an awfully low flight from Sacramento to San Antonio. Hell, from San Antonio to Austin that would be a low flight.

ChumpDumper
11-28-2007, 11:11 PM
That's an awfully low flight from Sacramento to San Antonio. Hell, from San Antonio to Austin that would be a low flight.You expect this guy to estimate altitude correctly?

texbound
11-28-2007, 11:22 PM
You expect this guy to estimate altitude correctly?

Well, I would expect a better guess than that.

Hell, http://blogs.ideal.es/media/boss_16.jpg this kid would've had a better guess than 3500ft.

Das Texan
11-29-2007, 01:04 AM
McDonald fucking sucks.

ShoogarBear
11-29-2007, 01:13 AM
McDonald fucking sucks.Maybe it takes reporters a full year with the Spurs before they catch on, too.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-29-2007, 01:20 AM
Maybe it takes reporters a full year with the Spurs before they catch on, too.

Alright, that made me :lmao.

ShoogarBear
11-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Right now McDonald is doing a serious Year One Oberto.

E20
11-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Spurs mailbag should resembler Mail Time from Blues Clues with Steven Burns, except it's Manu Ginobili.