PDA

View Full Version : Bose earbuds for iPod...are they worth it?

Evan
11-28-2007, 01:07 PM
$100

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7997322&st=bose+earbuds&type=product&id=1155071450943

Has anyone here used them before?

tlongII
11-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Bose makes great stuff. That's a lot of money for ear buds though.

Oh, Gee!!
11-28-2007, 01:31 PM
I've got some. I think they're worth it.

Evan
11-28-2007, 01:41 PM

Agree. But the way I am looking at it this is my entire stero system so why not?

Besides, my standard headphones fall out all the time.

Evan
11-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I've got some. I think they're worth it.

Thank you. :toast

Phil Hellmuth
11-28-2007, 01:53 PM
padded headphones > earbuds

tlongII
11-28-2007, 02:00 PM

It depends on what you're doing. You can't work out wearing padded headphones and earbuds are more portable as well.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
Sennheiser >>> Bose, IMO

Cry Havoc
Bose is regarded mostly in the audiophile industry as "highly overpriced." That said, if they sound great to you, go for them. But it would be to your detriment if you thought they are the best headphones ever without listening to anything else. There was another headphone thread not to long ago where I went into detail about the basics of headphones.

I recently purchased the Denon AH-C700 canalphones, and I must say they are absolutely mind-bending. I've heard many of the offerings from Bose and Shure, and I have to say that these Denons easily outclass anything outside of the Shure E500 models (their top of the line earphone).

Here is my detailed review as posted to head-fi for the Denons.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3424830-post540.html

You might want to check out the forum (head-fi.org) and ask the pros there. These guys live and breathe audio equipment. They won't steer you wrong.

Personally though, I wouldn't recommend Bose. They're a step up from Apple headphones but they are only so highly recommended because most people have never heard any other phones. Most well-known does NOT equate to the best.

Evan
11-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Interesting. Thank you.

Cry Havoc
11-28-2007, 02:07 PM

Are you of the school of thought that uses this logic?

$2000+ of music in your music collection.

A 200 to 500 dollar mp3 player.

And $4 headphones to listen to the music with?

Do you see where that might not make sense? That's like putting a lightweight flywheel, clutch, racing slicks, and weight reduction on a car and then using a lawnmower engine to power it. You're limiting yourself, bro!

Untrue. Top quality earbuds can rival ANYTHING you've heard in headphones before. Short of a balanced tube amp Sennheiser 600 setup, Sony Qualias, RS10s, or STAX (we're talking over 3 thou at least), you will not find much better sound than the UE11s, despite their tiny size.

A pair of UE11 custom molded earphones will blow anything made by Bose or Shure away, and leave it choking on dust. Yes, they're expensive, but you truly get what you pay for. It's that simple.

Walter Craparita
11-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Bose is so overrated it is funny.

Evan
11-28-2007, 04:14 PM

Ok, who's better? I want a high end pair about $150 max.

tlongII
11-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Bose is not overrated. They make some of the best audio equipment on the market.

T Park
11-28-2007, 05:08 PM
They are good earbuds, but i can't keep the gel padding on the earbuds themselves.

I personally like the IPOD in ear phones the best.

Extra Stout
11-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Bose is not overrated. They make some of the best audio equipment on the market.
You've fallen prey to their marketing.

Cry Havoc
11-28-2007, 05:34 PM

:lmao

Again, well-known != best.

Shure and Sennheiser are both regarded as reputations that far surpass Bose for quality. Bose are not a bad brand, per say, but they are more overpriced than Shure, who is regarded as being too pricey in their own right.

I know you've been force-fed Bose commercials your entire life, so you probably think they are one of the best.... they aren't. The high end products in comparative price ranges from less well-known manufacturers absolutely blow Bose away in sound quality. Sennheiser is probably the most well known for making high quality cans that are well priced, but they are not alone in the high-fi audio world.

Case in point: Bose makes, advertises, and widely covets their "noise canceling" headphones. They attempt to sell you on the ridiculous idea that by generating a sound that can negate the noises of the environment around you without any sacrifice of sound quality. That is impossible. If you use sound to block out sound, it is going to disturb the clarity of what you want to hear as well.

But, you know, if you're really determined to show how good Bose is, take them to an audio meet. Take them to a hi-fi speaker store. Compare them to a great set of cans from someone else. For the price, Bose will get crushed by a slew of headphones out there in terms of audio quality, soundstage, dynamic range, etc. Yes, they are comfortable, no denying that. But so are many other headphones out there. Bose is not unique in any regard except they have marketed themselves to the masses instead of attending to a niche group.

Cry Havoc
11-28-2007, 05:40 PM

If you're looking for in-ear designs, I would recommend either the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 pro series, the Denon AH-C700s, or the Futuresonic Atrio M5s (although I haven't listened to the latter pair). I've heard the fewest negative things about the Denons, which is why I bought them for myself, but their highs leave a little to be desired, while the M5s are not as good for vocals and the Super.Fis can have too much "boom" in their bass. I love love love my Denons, as they compare well to larger and more expensive full-sized headphones.

If you want some full-sized cans, it really depends on the type of music you listen to. Grado SR-80s are superior SQ for rock music.

The Sennheiser HD-25-SP-II are good all around headphones for $100.

I would highly recommend the Denon AH-D1000s as a great buy, they are comfortable and have good SQ, but they do not offer any sound isolation. If you are in a noisy environment, I would get the UEs or the Denon AH-C700s. They're both great in-ear headphones.

tlongII
11-28-2007, 06:16 PM
:lmao

Again, well-known != best.

Shure and Sennheiser are both regarded as reputations that far surpass Bose for quality. Bose are not a bad brand, per say, but they are more overpriced than Shure, who is regarded as being too pricey in their own right.

I know you've been force-fed Bose commercials your entire life, so you probably think they are one of the best.... they aren't. The high end products in comparative price ranges from less well-known manufacturers absolutely blow Bose away in sound quality. Sennheiser is probably the most well known for making high quality cans that are well priced, but they are not alone in the high-fi audio world.

Case in point: Bose makes, advertises, and widely covets their "noise canceling" headphones. They attempt to sell you on the ridiculous idea that by generating a sound that can negate the noises of the environment around you without any sacrifice of sound quality. That is impossible. If you use sound to block out sound, it is going to disturb the clarity of what you want to hear as well.

But, you know, if you're really determined to show how good Bose is, take them to an audio meet. Take them to a hi-fi speaker store. Compare them to a great set of cans from someone else. For the price, Bose will get crushed by a slew of headphones out there in terms of audio quality, soundstage, dynamic range, etc. Yes, they are comfortable, no denying that. But so are many other headphones out there. Bose is not unique in any regard except they have marketed themselves to the masses instead of attending to a niche group.

I see that I need to educate you a little bit. The noise cancelling Bose headphones are excellent. How they do it is by taking the signal generated by the external environment and inverting it. This "inverse" signal is then directed into the headphones which effectively "cancels" out the external noise. When you combine a signal with its inverse signal the result is zero. That is why it works. It's actually rather remarkable. This technique works better with low frequency noise than high frequency noise though as it is difficult to produce the inverse of the high frequency (faster) noise and direct it into the headphones in time to cancel the external noise most effectively. I think Bose patented this technique and it is just one example of the fine engineering work they do. Are Bose products overpriced? Maybe, but there is no question that they make quality stuff.

L.I.T
11-28-2007, 07:12 PM
For a decent in-ear model I've been using the V-Moda Vibes for the last few months and have been pretty happy. It's a little bit more bass-heavy than the Super.fi's (haven't listened to the EB version of the 5s though), but I've been happy so far.

A great website to check out reviews is: www.headphone.com. I've never been a big fan of the Bose sound, but I know some people who are. Just find a store where you can demo a lot of different headphones before you buy.

Walter Craparita
11-28-2007, 07:28 PM

Check out that forum Cry Havoc linked. It's really good. There's not really an end all be all brand. Different brands are better at different things depending on what type of sound you are aiming for.

Bose gets a contract with General Motors, and airs a couple infomercials and people think they are the greatest lol. Check out that forum. People spend thousands of dollars on headphones and headphone amps there, so I'm sure they could shed some insight.

scott
11-28-2007, 07:30 PM
I have Shure's $100 earbuds (can't recall the model number, sorry) and I love them. Worth every penny. If you can get Shure or Sennheiser, there is no need to even consider Bose.

:lol @ tlong realizing he way overpaid for his stereo and now trying to justify himself in this thread.

tlongII
11-28-2007, 07:35 PM
I have Shure's $100 earbuds (can't recall the model number, sorry) and I love them. Worth every penny. If you can get Shure or Sennheiser, there is no need to even consider Bose.

:lol @ tlong realizing he way overpaid for his stereo and now trying to justify himself in this thread.

Dude, I'm just pointing out the facts behind the noise canceling feature. I'm lmao at people that think they are hearing "purer" music without this feature. That is a ridiculous claim. It might "sound" more like a concert since there is a lot external noise at a concert. However, if you want to hear the true audio signal then noise canceling is the way to go.

Walter Craparita
11-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Is noise canceling the same as closed?

ShoogarBear
11-28-2007, 07:41 PM
For some reason, I've never found ear buds to be comfortable, nor could find any that wold stay in. Ever with cell phones, I've always preferred the over the head earpieces. Not to mention that 80% of the time I'm using my iPod, I'm working out.

My sister bought me a pair of the Bose and they're nicer than what I usually use, but I just don't use them that often.

tlongII
11-28-2007, 07:49 PM
For some reason, I've never found ear buds to be comfortable, nor could find any that wold stay in. Ever with cell phones, I've always preferred the over the head earpieces. Not to mention that 80% of the time I'm using my iPod, I'm working out.

My sister bought me a pair of the Bose and they're nicer than what I usually use, but I just don't use them that often.

This is true. What I like for workouts is ear buds that are connected to an over the head frame. That is what works best for me.

exstatic
11-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Bose has been living off their name for about 20 years.

koopa
11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
wow, why would anyone pay 100 bucks for ear buds?? i bought some for 5 bucks today at wal mart and they do the exact same shit as those probably

SpursWoman
11-28-2007, 10:18 PM

Me, either. I don't know if its because my ear openings are particularly small or what, but buds cause actual pain in my ears. Sony makes a pair that has a very slim piece that fits into your ear (no pad thingys) and is connected to a head band that is very comfortable and sweat-friendly when you're working out...and the sound is great. They also fold up, which is pretty cool. They are like $10. :lol

ShoogarBear
11-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Me, either. I don't know if its because my ear openings are particularly small or what, but buds cause actual pain in my ears. Sony makes a pair that has a very slim piece that fits into your ear (no pad thingys) and is connected to a head band that is very comfortable and sweat-friendly when you're working out...and the sound is great. They also fold up, which is pretty cool. They are like $10. :lolYou know what they say about the size of a woman's ear openings . . . :eyebrows

CuckingFunt
11-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Me, either. I don't know if its because my ear openings are particularly small or what, but buds cause actual pain in my ears. Sony makes a pair that has a very slim piece that fits into your ear (no pad thingys) and is connected to a head band that is very comfortable and sweat-friendly when you're working out...and the sound is great. They also fold up, which is pretty cool. They are like $10. :lolMost ear buds do the same to me, but I bought these (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5151011) when I got my iPod and I absolutely love them. About $20, they don't fall out, they don't hurt, and they sound great.

Cry Havoc
11-28-2007, 11:51 PM
I see that I need to educate you a little bit. The noise cancelling Bose headphones are excellent. How they do it is by taking the signal generated by the external environment and inverting it. This "inverse" signal is then directed into the headphones which effectively "cancels" out the external noise. When you combine a signal with its inverse signal the result is zero. That is why it works. It's actually rather remarkable. This technique works better with low frequency noise than high frequency noise though as it is difficult to produce the inverse of the high frequency (faster) noise and direct it into the headphones in time to cancel the external noise most effectively. I think Bose patented this technique and it is just one example of the fine engineering work they do. Are Bose products overpriced? Maybe, but there is no question that they make quality stuff.

Even if I gave you an optimal scenario with absolutely PERFECT active noise cancellation (not possible), you are still going to be paying for that noise cancellation technology. Which means less of the $$$ you spend on the headphone goes towards sound quality. It also means that you are either going to have to A) sacrifice higher quality parts to offset the weight of the noise cancellation or B) have heavier headphones due to the added weight.

And I have not stated that Bose headphones are poor quality. But for the price, they can be beaten in sound quality by a headphone that costs half the price, or less. Denon 1000s are considered superior to any Bose headphones on the market, at least according to audiophiles. But what do they know? They've only been listening (some of them) for decades and have tens of thousands of dollars in audio equipment. They could care less about the relative price, as an extra $300 for a set of headphones is nothing to them, and still the Bose is judged to be of inferior sound quality. Which is not to say they suck, just that they are not as good, point blank.

This is all assuming that the noise cancellation is perfect. But it's not. Any time you are diminishing noise, you are taking a chance that the sound you are attempting to be listening to will be lessened as well.

Again, there are benefits to active noise cancellation. However, for people on a budget, Bose just cannot be recommended.

Cry Havoc
11-28-2007, 11:53 PM

Ever used a pair of high quality ($120+) canalphones or IEMs? They stay in your ear much better as long as the cord isn't yanked on.

ShoogarBear
11-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Ever used a pair of high quality ($120+) canalphones or IEMs? They stay in your ear much better as long as the cord isn't yanked on.Problem is, my cord is always getting yanked.

(I mean, I'm usually working out in them. :p:)

tlongII
11-29-2007, 02:01 AM
Problem is, my cord is always getting yanked.

(I mean, I'm usually working out in them. :p:)

Ya, suuuuuuuuure.

tlongII
11-29-2007, 02:03 AM
Even if I gave you an optimal scenario with absolutely PERFECT active noise cancellation (not possible), you are still going to be paying for that noise cancellation technology. Which means less of the $$$ you spend on the headphone goes towards sound quality. It also means that you are either going to have to A) sacrifice higher quality parts to offset the weight of the noise cancellation or B) have heavier headphones due to the added weight.

And I have not stated that Bose headphones are poor quality. But for the price, they can be beaten in sound quality by a headphone that costs half the price, or less. Denon 1000s are considered superior to any Bose headphones on the market, at least according to audiophiles. But what do they know? They've only been listening (some of them) for decades and have tens of thousands of dollars in audio equipment. They could care less about the relative price, as an extra $300 for a set of headphones is nothing to them, and still the Bose is judged to be of inferior sound quality. Which is not to say they suck, just that they are not as good, point blank.

This is all assuming that the noise cancellation is perfect. But it's not. Any time you are diminishing noise, you are taking a chance that the sound you are attempting to be listening to will be lessened as well.

Again, there are benefits to active noise cancellation. However, for people on a budget, Bose just cannot be recommended.

Dude, I suggest you investigate the frequencies that the human ear is able to recognize.

SpursWoman
11-29-2007, 07:10 AM
You know what they say about the size of a woman's ear openings . . . :eyebrows

It's true. :smokin :lol

Cry Havoc
11-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Dude, I suggest you investigate the frequencies that the human ear is able to recognize.

And I suggest you stop parroting stuff you've heard on a Bose store tour.

Or better yet! Why don't you go on head-fi and attempt to explain how superior Bose headphones are. Please, by all means, try that. If you're really convinced they're so good, you should definitely step up to the plate.

Thunder Dan
11-29-2007, 09:24 AM

I know. People hear 'Bose' and they think it's the best shit there is becasue of the price. I was given a pair of their noise cancelling ear phones (over the ear ones) as a gift last year and they were alright....nothing great. I think Shure makes a much better product and they don't charge you for the name on the box. They also have a better warranty than Bose. I stepped on my earphones and crushed the ear cylinder in October. I sent them back and recieved a brand new pair within 2 weeks with no hassle.

http://shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/SEModels/us_pa_se110_content

L.I.T
11-29-2007, 09:25 AM
And I suggest you stop parroting stuff you've heard on a Bose store tour.

Or better yet! Why don't you go on head-fi and attempt to explain how superior Bose headphones are. Please, by all means, try that. If you're really convinced they're so good, you should definitely step up to the plate.

The deficiencies of Bose only show up when you listen to a pair of Grados or mid-end Senns or any decent headphone. Until then, their piercing highs, recessed/hollow mids and lovely flabby bass sound great.

Even in active noise cancellation headphones I think they've fallen behind Sennheisers new offerings.

ATRAIN
11-29-2007, 09:58 AM
These are the ones that I havehttp://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8005008&type=product&id=1155848368219 . They are pretty good for sound and price, my only problem is the chord is longer on the right side (meant for over the back for working out).

BeerIsGood!
11-29-2007, 03:12 PM
I personally like the Denons. I've used Denons for a while now and have no desire to pony up an extra few hundered to get something that will sound marginally better.

Cry Havoc
11-29-2007, 04:59 PM
I personally like the Denons. I've used Denons for a while now and have no desire to pony up an extra few hundered to get something that will sound marginally better.

Well, yes. To a point, you experience diminishing returns with a certain level of audio equipment. I mean, $1000 headphones do not sound significantly better than a pair of $300 headphones for the average person to justify the cost.

However, the difference between a set of $130 canal phones or IEMs and proprietary earbuds that come with the iPod is massive. Considering that headphones will last you at least 5 years if you take care of them, 5 years divided by 130 is $26, or just over $2 per month. Hardly a lot of money to pay for superior audio quality. The extreme high-end gear like the top of the line Ultimate Ears or Sony's are for enthusiasts and audiophiles, so of course they won't be worth it for the average person, just like ponying up the cash for a direct port nitrous system and a tuned suspension isn't for anyone.

usckk
11-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Here's basically the deal with headphone:

1) If you want to use them while your walking, get canal or earbuds. Otherwise get cans, ones that cover your entire ear.

2) If you want cans, you then have to decide when and where you are going to us them. If you are going to travel with them, get noise-canceling ones. If not, get non-canceling ones as they are probably cheaper and the sound quality is better.

3) If you want noise-canceling ones, you have two more choices depending on your budget. If you want good, reasonably priced ones, get Sennheiser. However, if you have the money, get Bose ones. Their active-canceling ability is better (less white-noise) than Sennheiser.

usckk
11-29-2007, 11:01 PM
P.S. Cry Havoc, I know that active noise-canceling headphones reduces sound quality. But would you agree that if you travel a lot on planes, active noise-canceling headphones would be worth getting?

Ronaldo McDonald
11-29-2007, 11:03 PM
i don't care what anyone says 100 dollars for heaphones is too much money. It's a rip-off. they'd still be making huge profit if they cut the price by 50%...

Cry Havoc
11-30-2007, 12:02 AM
i don't care what anyone says 100 dollars for heaphones is too much money. It's a rip-off. they'd still be making huge profit if they cut the price by 50%...

Yes, because we all know that advanced sound technology is a cheap endeavor to research and develop for.

I mean, making a TINY speaker system that is able to produce a range of frequencies that equals that of human hearing, to do it regularly and improve upon it with new technology, 2 years at a junior college should be enough to get that done!

Let's see you build a speaker about the size of a small person's pinky finger, manufacture it so that it's A) reliable, B) produces good bass, mids, and highs, and C) is comfortable to wear. Now keep in mind, if your speaker produces a lot of sibilance, if it overemphasizes a particular side of the music, or if it just falls out of people's ears, no one is going to buy it.

Also keep in mind that unless you are Bose, Shure, or Sennheiser, you're a small company (at best) with a constrained budget who has to not only sell headphones, but turn a profit.

$100 for a processor is just too much money. Everyone knows they're all the same. And they're so tiny! They obviously aren't too complex.

$500 for a guitar is too much money. It's just a piece of wood!

$10,000 for a harp is too much money. They're just a bunch of strings attached to a funny shaped frame! :lol

Come on now. I understand -why- you would think something like that. But why spew so much about a subject you clearly have no knowledge of?

As an added bonus, you do realize that 99% of all companies (aside from non-profits) on the FACE OF THE EARTH are out to make... yes.... a profit, right? That means YES, you are paying for more than what you get. Shocker.

P.S. Cry Havoc, I know that active noise-canceling headphones reduces sound quality. But would you agree that if you travel a lot on planes, active noise-canceling headphones would be worth getting?

Active noise canceling is not the only method for reducing external sound. Almost all headphone manufacturers produce what is known as a "closed" headphone. This is simply a headphone constructed of more resistant materials (i.e., they don't transmit sound as readily through the material). These can produce extremely high quality audio experiences without sacrificing comfort, durability, or sound quality, provided you buy the right pair. Will they be perfectly silent? Probably not. But they'll knock out almost all sound, and your music will most likely block a lot of it anyway.

In that stead, the Sennheiser HD-25-Is are a very good buy.

slayermin
11-30-2007, 01:49 AM
The newer style Apple earbuds are awesome.

I recently bought a pair of Bose over ear headphones and I returned them the next day. They do reduce outside noise but not enough to merit the $80 difference of my Sony headphones.

Cry Havoc
11-30-2007, 02:17 AM
The newer style Apple earbuds are awesome.

I recently bought a pair of Bose over ear headphones and I returned them the next day. They do reduce outside noise but not enough to merit the $80 difference of my Sony headphones.

You should try some quality headphones from Grado, Sennheiser, or Denon.

usckk
12-01-2007, 09:11 AM
So your saying that noise canceling headphones have ZERO benefit at all? :( I own two: Sennheiser PX250 (for more mobile, and portable use) and Bose QC2 (for home use).

Cry Havoc
12-01-2007, 01:02 PM
So your saying that noise canceling headphones have ZERO benefit at all? :( I own two: Sennheiser PX250 (for more mobile, and portable use) and Bose QC2 (for home use).

Not at all. They are excellent for planes and anything else with a consistent noise in the background. It's just that (GOOD) closed headphones with passive sound isolation typically produce greater sound quality. If Bose were cheaper, I'd probably own a pair.

bdictjames
12-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Yall are talking about these overpriced earphones when you can buy a pair at Walmart for 99 cents. See you when those get damaged, just like any other headphones invented.

And I fucking hate big headphones, dont know why.

slayermin
12-01-2007, 04:35 PM
You should try some quality headphones from Grado, Sennheiser, or Denon.

I own a pair of Sennheiser wireless headphones. They work great when you don't have neighbors with cordless phones or polices scanners in the area.

I never use them anymore because they would pickup people's conversations.

usckk
12-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey Cry, another quick question: How big of difference can you tell with the good sounding headphones compared to lower qualitiy ones, playing mp3 at 128 kb/s? If all of one's songs are at that range, would it still be worth someone's money to get really high quality head phones?

Jimcs50
12-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Now I know what to get my wife for one of her Christmas presents.

Thanks.

:)

Cry Havoc
12-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey Cry, another quick question: How big of difference can you tell with the good sounding headphones compared to lower qualitiy ones, playing mp3 at 128 kb/s? If all of one's songs are at that range, would it still be worth someone's money to get really high quality head phones?

Keep in mind that higher quality headphones are going to pick up any distortion or unwanted sounds from a less than quality recording.

That said, if the recording at 128kbps contains no errors, it will be good enough to listen to and enjoy with a nicer set of headphones the difference will still be very noticeable, depending on the listener. Some people don't care about the difference in quality, they just want to hear "The White Stripes" over and over again. Which is fine, but if you want quality, a decent set ($100-200) will be worth it every time.

Also, Windows Media Player will encode at 192 kbps. It's worth using to rip your mp3s from here on out.

Yall are talking about these overpriced earphones when you can buy a pair at Walmart for 99 cents. See you when those get damaged, just like any other headphones invented.

Wow. Pure idiocy at this point. I'm sorry, I really don't have the time or the energy to explain to someone like you the differences in quality.

You can buy a used car for $1000. See you when your new shiny Civic gets damaged. I mean, a 1977 Ford Pinto and a 2007 Audi are the same thing, right?

And I fucking hate big headphones, dont know why.

Because things larger than your head frighten you? Just a guess.