PDA

View Full Version : Spurs 10th best in Defensive Efficiency

Nikos
11-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Just checked the League Offensive and Defensive Efficiency Stats and the Spurs are ranked #2 on Offense, and a dismal #10 on Defense. By far their worst defensive stretch in years statistically in comparison with the league average.

http://www.knickerblogger.net/stats/2008/index.htm#East

Their offense has been very good, only ranked slightly lower than the Mavs who are at #1.

But guess who is #1 on D this year? The BOSTON CELTICS. They led the league by a Spur like Margin. Garnett must be the main reason why.

So why are the Spurs lagging so much on D this year? Has Manu lost some of his D? TP? Duncan? Bowen seems about the same as always for the most part.

Do the Spurs miss a Rasho like shot blocker? They still were awesome on D last year without a #2 shot blocker alongside Timmy.

Is it just a bad stretch? Will the Spurs be Top 2-3 on D by years end?

remingtonbo2001
11-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Bowen has had a couple of games where he has lagged behind.
Timmy has had a couple of games where he's been slow on D.

Manu has been playing steller defense.

The reason for the drop statistically, more than likely has to do with the increase in Barry's minutes.

Also, Finley's D seems to be lacking this year too....
He was pretty decent last year.

Also, Jauque has missed some signficant time. He's been lock-down defender at the point.

But also remember. It's NOVEMBER.

DAINTX
11-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Not good enough. Should be in top 3, minimum. But it's early...we'll get there.

SpursIndonesia
11-28-2007, 11:42 PM
But guess who is #1 on D this year? The BOSTON CELTICS. They led the league by a Spur like Margin. Garnett must be the main reason why.

They've been having a pretty light schedule, even lighter compared to the Spurs, and playing against crappy, offesively challenged teams will certainly make you looking great defensively. :fro

So why are the Spurs lagging so much on D this year? Has Manu lost some of his D? TP? Duncan? Bowen seems about the same as always for the most part.

I think they're just pacing themselves, they still play the D, but not that consistent to begin with. :smokin

Do the Spurs miss a Rasho like shot blocker? They still were awesome on D last year without a #2 shot blocker alongside Timmy.

While Oberto is not a shotblocker, his positional defense is above average in my book compared to other center of the league. :toast

Our D is more about everybody helping & covering each other, we're not that blessed with athletic freak shot blocking machine in the first place.

Is it just a bad stretch? Will the Spurs be Top 2-3 on D by years end?

I think they'll be fine, people don't suddenly forgot how they eat, do they ? :p:

Remember, we're still the :king

timvp
11-29-2007, 04:26 AM
Check out this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82338) for more info, Nikizzle.

Rummpd
11-29-2007, 10:59 AM
It is all about who they are playing, Boston has played a creme puff schedule except for two strong teams and lost both of those. Memo Drew Gooden schooled Garnett the other night.

Relax. Spurs have all the ability in the world to turn up the defensive pressure.

Spurs will improve FG% and defensive intensity and vastly over-hyped teams like the Celtics will slip back.

cherylsteele
11-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Hey, last year the started off slow too....it turned out alright.

Shred
11-29-2007, 04:56 PM
It says the Suns are ranked ahead of the Spurs at #9 in defensive efficiency. That can't be right.

some_user86
11-29-2007, 08:06 PM
I don't know. I mean, I know it's November and all, but Spurs are #27 of 30 teams total in opposition FG%, and dropped from #3 to #11 in a span of 2 games in opposition 3pt FG%. I'd say this is way worse than any November in recent Spurs history. Maybe I have a bad memory, and I would love to be proven wrong.

And again, I know it's November, but has Timmy really played with such low PPG during November before? Then again, he's playing the lowest MPG than ever before.

some_user86
11-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Ok, as of this morning, we are now #28 of 30 in opposition FG% and #12 in opp 3pt FG%. Somebody improved last night (Golden State and Minnesotta?). It's sad that Golden State is a better FG% defensive team than us.

We born to be bad
12-01-2007, 10:51 AM
It says the Suns are ranked ahead of the Spurs at #9 in defensive efficiency. That can't be right.

Why? we should be ranked at #1 and they #20 according to last games. :p:

SouthernFried
12-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Finley is absolutely horrible on D. Always has been. Barry is better, and Barry has probably the best transition D on the team. Barry is no D stopper, for sure...but, he's better than Finley.

Tim hasn't been playing great D this year either. But, I don't much worry about him...let him pace himself. Playing great D is the most exhausting thing to do in Basketball, and the most damaging to the body (much harder on body/ankles/knees to react than to instigate like on offense.) Why Bowen deserves every Kudo he's got...and why I have no problem, right now, in TD pacing himself...I know he'll bring it when he has to.

Parker has never been considered a D stopper.

Really, the only people right now playing good D for the Spurs, is Manu and Bowen. Oberto plays pretty good positioning D, but he lacks true Center size and strength.

Elson and Bonner still look lost in the Spurs Defensive rotations and scheme.

So, Tim will be there when we need him. Manu and Bowen are always there. TP on D...well, you never know. Oberto does what Oberto does.

Finley, Elson, Bonner...all need to step it up. I'd actually prefer starting Barry right now than Finley. Udoka behind Bowen?

I'm sure Pop is not unaware of this either ;)

Brutalis
12-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Is it just me or is our offense looking better but our overall defense slowing down?

vander
12-01-2007, 06:47 PM
teams seem to be elevating their games against us this year, even more so then you'd expect from being the reigning champs. it's weird

Nikos
12-01-2007, 08:51 PM
As an aside the Spurs are now #1 on Offense in the entire league. Interesting.