PDA

View Full Version : what is wrong with bigs rebounding the ball

ducks
11-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Enough Said
Pathetic Effort From The Bigs On Rebounding

exstatic
11-28-2007, 11:21 PM
On this team, everyone needs to rebound. Other than Tim, our bigs just aren't that good on the boards, and it's been that way since The Admiral sailed off into the sunset. You just noticed?

ducks
11-28-2007, 11:22 PM
no tim duncan has had several games this year not even getting ten rebounds
sad

SenorSpur
11-28-2007, 11:50 PM
This WILL show up again and become more glaring when we play a good rebounding team like the Jazz nad MAvs.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-29-2007, 12:03 AM
This WILL show up again and become more glaring when we play a good rebounding team like the Jazz nad MAvs.

:tu

T Park
11-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Jump shooting teams, there are long rebounds.

Long rebounds go to the guards.

But go ahead and keep beating yourselves up.

K-State Spur
11-29-2007, 12:37 AM
The Wiz only got 6 offensive rebounds. That's not spectacular, but it's not terrible.

While Duncan certainly isn't in playoff rebounding form, I do think his rebounds are down partially to other players on the team grabbing them.

The Spurs are the best defensive rebounding team in the league right now.

T Park
11-29-2007, 12:40 AM
Oberto had 7

elson 7

How many rebounds you think Duncan can grab when those guys grab 14 between em, and then Parker gets 8

Take a pill peeps :lol

SenorSpur
11-29-2007, 01:48 AM
This team has had rebounding deficiencies for a couple of seasons now. They still managed to overcome them to win a title last season. Personally, it's still a concern for the long haul. As a team, someone else besides Tim needs to help pound the glass.

gilmor
11-29-2007, 02:04 AM
[QUOTE=T Park]Oberto had 7

elson 7

How many rebounds you think Duncan can grab when those guys grab 14 between em, and then Parker gets 8

U just don't get what DUCKS say?

He is saying that Parker is the best in the rebounding category for now..
:hat

mystargtr34
11-29-2007, 02:21 AM
pound for pound... Parker may be the best rebounder ever after tonight

telecomguy
11-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Oberto had 7

elson 7

Take a pill peeps :lol

Agree. It's not like Duncan is letting the opponents grab the rebounds. Also some of the sub 10 rebound games were where TD didn't play more than 30 minutes because of blowouts where he sat the entire 4th quarter.

Ducks do you watch the game or do you just look at stats? You DO know that stats can deceive right?

telecomguy
11-29-2007, 11:12 AM
This team has had rebounding deficiencies for a couple of seasons now. They still managed to overcome them to win a title last season. Personally, it's still a concern for the long haul. As a team, someone else besides Tim needs to help pound the glass.

the fact that many of the games has had both teams shooting very high% field goals means that there are also lot less rebound opportunities. I have not seen too many games this year where SPurs lost becasue of rebounding issue. Stats are for losers, because it cannot capture all the variables and flow of the game.

ORION
11-29-2007, 11:19 AM
they are focusing out blocking out their man and not just goin for the ball which allows the game to grab rebounds. They are limiting offensive boards

SRJ
11-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Tim Duncan, for his career, averages 11.8 rebounds in 37+ minutes per game.

If Duncan was averaging 37+ minutes per game this year, he'd be grabbing 10.4 rebounds per game.

And we're 13-3.

I have nothing to bitch about and Tim is just fine - but I guess we have to bitch about something.

When will people learn that you're not going to dominate every single statistical category even when you're winning 13 out of 16?

telecomguy
11-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Tim Duncan, for his career, averages 11.8 rebounds in 37+ minutes per game.

If Duncan was averaging 37+ minutes per game this year, he'd be grabbing 10.4 rebounds per game.

And we're 13-3.

I have nothing to bitch about and Tim is just fine - but I guess we have to bitch about something.

When will people learn that you're not going to dominate every single statistical category even when you're winning 13 out of 16?

I have noticed that TD is blocking out his bigs and then the ball would end up being grabbed uncontested by Bowen or Finley or Elson. So in those cases, TD doesn't get the rebound but he clearly did the yeomen's work in clearing out the opponent's ability to grab a rebound......sort of like an assist from an analogy point of view. Box-out is like a good assist if it allows a small forward to grab the rebound with no opponents in sight. Whether TD is consciously trying to box out more this year and let Elson or others grab the rebound uncontested, it's really hard to tell for sure but that is the impression i have so far watching the games.

BeerIsGood!
11-29-2007, 02:49 PM
I think I remember the Seattle commentators saying that the Spurs are the best % in the league at cleaning the defensive glass, at 79 or 80%. Maybe it's unrealistic to expect them to claim every defensive board.

telecomguy
11-29-2007, 02:53 PM
I think I remember the Seattle commentators saying that the Spurs are the best % in the league at cleaning the defensive glass, at 79 or 80%. Maybe it's unrealistic to expect them to claim every defensive board.

It seems that Spurs are doing much better limiting the opponents to one shot (even if the % is too high!) unlike previous years when we have had problems with the opponents crashing the boards (Mavs for example) and getting multiple opportunities.

It's possible that TD is concentrating much more this year on boxing out to prevent offensive rebounds, thereby letting the other Spurs to grab the loose ball. In the past year, Nesterovic or Mohammad used to do the dirty work of blocking out but perhaps Elson or OBerto are not big or strong enough to do this job so TD is taking on more responsibility to block out? On the other hand we are talking about only 1 less rebound per minute and the season is only 15 games long!

ArgSpursFan.
11-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Bonner sucks on the Boards.

jay014
11-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Bonner sucks on the Boards.
who do you suppose we trade Bonner for?...............here it comes.........

TheAuthority
11-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Going to second seeing Tim box his man out regularly 10 feet away from the hoop to let other players board. Spurs clearly have a concept of team rebounding, they don't rely on the bigs to grab all of them. Often I see Tim just completely take his man out of the lane on a free throw attempt, and let someone else get the rebound.

SouthernFried
11-30-2007, 01:48 AM
Boxing out...most underrated non-stat in Basketball.

Anyone see little Jack Vaughn box out some 7footer a couple of games back? Elson and Bonner need to watch that clip a couple million times.

Half the time I see Elson and Bonner jumping for rebounds, with no clue where their man is. When all they would have to do, is keep their man "boxed out" and on their back...and the rebound would just drop to them, or in front of them without having to leave their feet. No jumping required.

Little men know this almost by instinct...big men think they can just reach up and get, or out jump someone. Silliness.

Watch Vaughn and learn :spin

K-State Spur
11-30-2007, 02:32 AM
I actually do think that there is a concerted effort for the guards to be more involved in rebounding this year.

Remember, the rebounding issues against the King/Mavs in 2006 weren't so much that we were getting beaten by Brad Miller or Desagana Diop on the glass. It was Bonzi and Howard who were killing us.

polandprzem
11-30-2007, 04:38 AM
Tim is on 19th place in rebounding right now
Illgauskas, Bynum, Biedrins, foster all of them are better rebounders

Tim is on 15th place in blocks 1.88

Tim used to be top 10 in scoring, now he is on 43rd place!

shaq at his age was much better, a season older shaq had 22.9 pts/game 10.4 rebs 2.3 blocks

I never thought that this decline will occure that fast

Slippy
11-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Elson needs to lend a bigger hand. He tends to look a tad too late when reacting, going vertical for a rebound. Having a round-arm action doesn't help.

Slippy
11-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Seeing Elson's D just adds to the fustration.

mystargtr34
11-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Tim is on 19th place in rebounding right now
Illgauskas, Bynum, Biedrins, foster all of them are better rebounders

Tim is on 15th place in blocks 1.88

Tim used to be top 10 in scoring, now he is on 43rd place!

shaq at his age was much better, a season older shaq had 22.9 pts/game 10.4 rebs 2.3 blocks

I never thought that this decline will occure that fast

Per 40 minutes.... TD is averaging

22-11-3-2 on 54% shooting... at about 60% effort... real decline.. i strongly advise you to actually watch a game. Hes ranked about 8th in PER in the league.