PDA

View Full Version : Suns question

SpursFanFirst
11-28-2007, 11:21 PM
I was just checking out the box score for the game against Houston, and noticed 2 things.

1st: Only 8 guys were listed...do they only have 8 active? I mean, I know they've always played a pretty tight rotation regardless, but to only have 8 seems crazy low.

2nd: I also noticed that the minutes were pretty even across the board. I don't watch them often, but in the past, I seem to recall heavy minutes for 5 guys, and only a few minutes for others. Is D'Antoni trying something different this year?

exstatic
11-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Yes, they're soft.

Oh, that wasn't the question?

SpursFanFirst
11-29-2007, 12:36 AM
No one can answer this?

boutons_
11-29-2007, 12:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=271128021

Suns played 8 guys, aka "tight playoff rotation" in November, with another 4 guys as DNP/CD = 12 suited up.

SpursFanFirst
11-29-2007, 12:52 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=271128021

Suns played 8 guys, aka "tight playoff rotation" in November, with another 4 guys as DNP/CD = 12 suited up.

OK...when I looked earlier, the DNP guys were not listed. That's why I wondered. Thanks.

OldDirtMcGirt
11-29-2007, 12:54 AM
We've used Marks, Pike, and Banks occasionally off the bench this year, and I expect to see more of Banks and for Skinner to get more playing time. Also, Raja and Diaw played uncharacteristically low minute totals this game.

SpursFanFirst
11-29-2007, 01:04 AM
We've used Marks, Pike, and Banks occasionally off the bench this year, and I expect to see more of Banks and for Skinner to get more playing time. Also, Raja and Diaw played uncharacteristically low minute totals this game.

Yeah. I thought it was interesting that the minutes were pretty evenly distributed. I would think that's a good thing...I can't believe some of those guys are still standing by the end of the season with the minutes that get piled on them.

Walter Craparita
11-29-2007, 01:06 AM
Would have loved to been able to see this game.

What were the matchups like?

DOMINATOR
11-29-2007, 01:11 AM

like yao schooling everyone

itzsoweezee
11-29-2007, 01:49 AM
like yao schooling everyone

this is the suns problem. they got weaker in their weakest area. how are they going to defend dominant big men? if they face the spurs or the rockets in the playoffs, expect a lot of points from duncan and yao. i'm sure the suns don't care about that. but they should care about amare not getting much pt because of foul trouble. he hasn't improved on defense at all. phoenix is in a lot of trouble.

Matchman
11-29-2007, 01:52 AM

Yao had a slight edge over Amare in today's matchup
by the way....
THE FRANCHISE IS BACK~! :clap :downspin: :smokin :king :elephant :spin :toast

Xylus
11-29-2007, 02:05 AM
this is the suns problem. they got weaker in their weakest area. how are they going to defend dominant big men? if they face the spurs or the rockets in the playoffs, expect a lot of points from duncan and yao. i'm sure the suns don't care about that. but they should care about amare not getting much pt because of foul trouble. he hasn't improved on defense at all. phoenix is in a lot of trouble.
Yao has a history of playing pretty badly against us, I believe. He's done well in the two games against us this season, though.

Roxsfan
11-29-2007, 02:08 AM

sounds good to me

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071129/capt.9926ad7946bb478ab8b7be9f9616ccce.rockets_suns _basketball_pnu106.jpg

OldDirtMcGirt
11-29-2007, 02:10 AM
Yao has a history of playing pretty badly against us, I believe. He's done well in the two games against us this season, though.

Yao was crappy against us the first game. 17 points and way under 50% shooting if I recall correctly.

Roxsfan
11-29-2007, 02:47 AM
Yao was crappy against us the first game. 17 points and way under 50% shooting if I recall correctly.

Tmac did not play, so Yao was getting doubled, even when he didn't have the ball...
Amazing how much easier the game is for Yao with Tmac in there.........If I recall correctly :p: :toast

Jason_Terry
11-29-2007, 03:03 AM
It was hilarious listening to Suns fans booing the Rockets for playing defense in the 4th quarter :lol

PoleSmoking
11-29-2007, 03:06 AM
I was just checking out the box score for the game against Houston, and noticed 2 things.

1st: Only 8 guys were listed...do they only have 8 active? I mean, I know they've always played a pretty tight rotation regardless, but to only have 8 seems crazy low.

2nd: I also noticed that the minutes were pretty even across the board. I don't watch them often, but in the past, I seem to recall heavy minutes for 5 guys, and only a few minutes for others. Is D'Antoni trying something different this year?

Indeed. Last night, D'Antoni absolutely refused to use his bench at all despite an awful showing from Diaw & a struggling Barbosa. It's totally inexplicable that he didn't turn to someone else from his bench to provide a spark. I think I saw that the bench only generated like 8 points, and half of that was the total contribution of Diaw & Skinner. Absolutely pathetic.

In my opinion, this game has got to be the worst coached game of D'Antoni's career, and that's saying something. He does seem to be trying something different this year (to his credit), but last night was a very poor example of what he hopes to achieve by it.

For example, Steve Nash is actually averaging his fewest MPG since his re-arrival in Phoenix, and he seemed to be going to his bench quite a bit more often in the first 11 games for significant minutes. Last night was just stupid, however, no matter how even the minutes seemed to be spread. That was just bad coaching and poor execution by the players. Really the worst game by far the Suns have played against the Rockets in years.

PoleSmoking
11-29-2007, 03:14 AM

Amare is really just working his way back into the line-up after missing all of the pre-season & a few early games, so everyone should probably cut him a little slack for a bit. And he has nearly doubled his blocks per game this year, so that's a little bit of defensive improvement, I guess. But at what price? He is indeed playing like an idiot so far. I've never understood the way the refs call his game so tight, and he does really get screwed in the pooper quite a bit on the fouls; but he's been around for a few years now, and he should have learned to adjust his game to suit the refs by now, I think. I don't know what to think about Amare so far. Maybe let's revisit this conversation after about 30 games or so.

PoleSmoking
11-29-2007, 03:16 AM

I could be wrong, but I think off the top of my head that Yao actually had something like 24 points & 10+ boards against the Suns earlier this month.

Hemotivo
11-29-2007, 11:32 AM
It was hilarious listening to Suns fans booing the Rockets for playing defense in the 4th quarter :lol
:lol

Stargazer
11-29-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't begrudge Rockets fans their moment to gloat, but let's keep it real: the Suns shot 41% for the game and were still down by just a single possession in the final minute. I like the Suns chances if they meet in the playoffs.

TDMVPDPOY
11-29-2007, 12:30 PM
7-8 man player rotations, and playin ghill 30+mpg hahahahahahhahaha

Roxsfan
11-29-2007, 02:27 PM
I don't begrudge Rockets fans their moment to gloat, but let's keep it real: the Suns shot 41% for the game and were still down by just a single possession in the final minute. I like the Suns chances if they meet in the playoffs.

Suns are dangerous, but they need to play D. They are absolutely horrible with nash on the pine, so that should be a concern.
I am not gloating, but we have 2 cons. wins against the suns going to the end of last season in which Tmac and Yao both play.

JMarkJohns
11-29-2007, 02:33 PM

D'Antoni probably only played eight players. The others are active, and could play, but D'Antoni refuses to develop a bench.

Last season, I believe, five players averaged 30 minutes or more per game, another played 25 minutes or more per game, and two others were around 15 minutes or more.

So far thus season, Marion, Hill, Barbosa, Nash and Amare are all over 30 minutes, Bell and Diaw over 25 minutes and Skinner around 15 minutes.

I wouldn't say he's really learned anything from the past, nor is he really trying anything different.

It's still seven-man heavy with an eighth player floating around 10-to-20 minutes depending.

Roxsfan
11-29-2007, 02:54 PM
:music

Roxsfan
11-29-2007, 03:07 PM
http://photo9.hexun.com/p/2007/1129/150142/b_CBF142326DDAE51B3E727BDE05B2BA8B.jpg

High five with Yao
http://photo9.hexun.com/p/2007/1129/150142/b_4E1651BF31AF29210E6DFF4FD2B7D019.jpg

Swagger :D
http://photo9.hexun.com/p/2007/1129/150142/b_CA738ED96F0B18FF6CBEC22DB1B85770.jpg

Drive
http://photo9.hexun.com/p/2007/1129/150150/b_4B4B8EBC2E5E61D8AC10943E0AA5ACEA.jpg

http://photo9.hexun.com/p/2007/1129/150150/b_1951D4949577743F96293101A2124CC3.jpg

Strip
http://photo9.hexun.com/p/2007/1129/150150/b_842FA1FE3B658DF4B6F484ACAAE6E923.jpg

PoleSmoking
11-29-2007, 05:57 PM
I know the saying "A picture is worth a thousand words"; but a thousand pictures are not better than a single, short, well written argument. Your posts are really kinda annoying and inconsiderate. You're crowding up the whole thread with the same pictures and clips over and over again, and it makes the whole page load slower. Please stop it, and try to find a way to express yourself more economically, and less redundantly.

DOMINATOR
11-29-2007, 06:00 PM
I know the saying "A picture is worth a thousand words"; but a thousand pictures are not better than a single, short, well written argument. Your posts are really kinda annoying and inconsiderate. You're crowding up the whole thread with the same pictures and clips over and over again, and it makes the whole page load slower. Please stop it, and try to find a way to express yourself more economically, and less redundantly.

:toast
:clap

Roxsfan
11-29-2007, 10:42 PM
http://www.twitterati.tv/Dilbert---Just-Shut-Up--C10114871.jpg

JMarkJohns
11-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Was the last post gifs? My computer was running so slowly I didn't even wait it out to find out. BTW, the NBA DOES NOT like animated gifs of its product being used without its permission. You can get this site a scolding and maybe in trouble.

To be honest, I'm not even sure they like the photos pulled off various sports sites being used.

RonMexico
11-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Gifs of Steve Francis fouling Amare at the end of the game... pretty worthless stuff. And it was off "Star Sports" which means Roxsfan is international (aka fake fan).

SpursFanFirst
11-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Was the last post gifs? My computer was running so slowly I didn't even wait it out to find out. BTW, the NBA DOES NOT like animated gifs of its product being used without its permission. You can get this site a scolding and maybe in trouble.

To be honest, I'm not even sure they like the photos pulled off various sports sites being used.

If you mean post #29 right before your posting, that was a Dilbert pic...but earlier in this thread, there were 2 posts with numerous pics and videos. Those were related to the game the other night. I'm not sure where they came from though. Perhaps that's what was holding you up?

JMarkJohns
11-30-2007, 07:03 PM
If you mean post #29 right before your posting, that was a Dilbert pic...but earlier in this thread, there were 2 posts with numerous pics and videos. Those were related to the game the other night. I'm not sure where they came from though. Perhaps that's what was holding you up?

Yeah, I meant to say the last post on page 1 of this thread. I could even get half of the post to load, so I figured they were gifs.

TheZackAttack!
11-30-2007, 07:09 PM
did anyone see when Nash kicked Yao????

duncan228
11-30-2007, 07:25 PM
did anyone see when Nash kicked Yao????

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82446

Roxsfan
12-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Gifs of Steve Francis fouling Amare at the end of the game... pretty worthless stuff. And it was off "Star Sports" which means Roxsfan is international (aka fake fan).

I'm from Houston and I got those pics from clutchfans so STFU.

oh, and that was a clean swat at the ball :rolleyes

Shred
12-01-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm from Houston and I got those pics from clutchfans so STFU.

oh, and that was a clean swat at the ball :rolleyes

At least he doesn't contest it was a foul.