PDA

View Full Version : For those of you going to a restaurant to catch the game. Please tip well.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Not really trying to start another thread but I think its worthy of pointing out.

If you are going to a place other than a specific sports bar please tip the shit out of you waiter or waitress. They get paid by turning over tables and I know most of you guys are going to plop down for three plus hours and milk a few beers. These people are going to take it in the ass tonight, being swamped is one thing but being swamped and losing the lack of ability to turn tables over is like asking someone to work for next to nothing and to bust their ass doing it. Have patients and reward the shit out of good service because a night like this is brutal and I doubt most of these guys/gals will make anywhere near what they normally do on an average to above average night despite the heavy traffic.

mouse.
11-29-2007, 10:06 AM
these people can't even afford to switch to directv and you want them to tip well? :lmao

thispego
11-29-2007, 10:55 AM
hey noone is making them be waiters or waitresses. I tip according to the service I get. fuck how long I'm there for.

Thunder Dan
11-29-2007, 11:01 AM
these people can't even afford to switch to directv and you want them to tip well? :lmao

good point haha

I have NFL Network and probably won't watch it becuase a) it's in a dome b)I'm sick of the man crushes on Favre and Romo C) Bryant Gumble and Collinsworth are beyond terrible. But just think about all the people like me, that are wasting a valuable thing to Pack and Cowboys fans. Too bad I can't give one of you the channel for a day.

sa_butta
11-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Here is a tip...

If you dont like it then find another job.

Im sure most good bar tenders and waitstaff will make a killing tonight. If you are taking care of people, then you get taken care of.

Melmart1
11-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Here is a tip...

Im sure most good bar tenders and waitstaff will make a killing tonight. If you are taking care of people, then you get taken care of.
This is not always true, not even close. There will be plenty of people who go to a bar or restaurant, order say four beers and sit there for three hours or more. Four beers, let's say that's $20 with tax. Someone who adheres to the 15% rule will then give them something like $3. That's $1/hr.

I think that's what he is talking about. If you think everyone tips well for good service, you are sorely mistaken.

dickface
11-29-2007, 11:17 AM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/nickford_2006/violin.gif

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Here is a tip...

Im sure most good bar tenders and waitstaff will make a killing tonight. If you are taking care of people, then you get taken care of.You're way off base. People at a bar will do well but people at restaurants are going to take it in the ass.

Its not a matter of finding another job, I'm not saying they are bitching day in and day out. Specifically tonight because of all the people sitting around at a restaurant for 3 or more hours more than they would on a typical night. Most people who would normally eat out won't tonight because of the high volume of traffic. People at a bar will do well but people at restaurants are going to take it in the ass.

thispego
11-29-2007, 11:20 AM
i think they'll survive after one night of shitty tips. Maybe they can lobby the NFL to send them some cash to make up the difference.

CubanMustGo
11-29-2007, 11:21 AM
This is not always true, not even close. There will be plenty of people who go to a bar or restaurant, order say four beers and sit there for three hours or more. Four beers, let's say that's $20 with tax. Someone who adheres to the 15% rule will then give them something like $3. That's $1/hr.

I think that's what he is talking about. If you think everyone tips well for good service, you are sorely mistaken.

And there are six people at the table, they also ordered food, a couple of them have six or seven beers, some of them have mixed drinks that cost more, so that one table alone ends up being more like $12/hour and the waitperson has more than just that one table. Not to mention a lot of people tip 20%, not 15%. Spare us.

Melmart1
11-29-2007, 11:22 AM
And there are six people at the table, they also ordered food, a couple of them have six or seven beers, some of them have mixed drinks that cost more, so that one table alone ends up being more like $12/hour and the waitperson has more than just that one table. Not to mention a lot of people tip 20%, not 15%. Spare us.
Did you even read the first post? He said there would be people there nursing beers, he was specifically talking about them. Not a table full of people ordering food/appetizers, etc.

Cry Havoc
11-29-2007, 11:24 AM
i think they'll survive after one night of shitty tips. Maybe they can lobby the NFL to send them some cash to make up the difference.

You're so nice. Really, where do you find such class?

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 11:25 AM
You guys can be dicks all you want. All I'm saying is that a non sports bar that is typically not used to people sitting around nursing drinks for 4 hours will have a waitstaff that will suffer because tables won't be turning over. If you don't have enough common sense to see the difference I'm sorry. I just think some of you should take it into consideration.

And this coming from an asshole like myself who could give a shit about most to all of you fucking know it all general public dumbasses.

Don't worry though I'll stay here and argue with you about for most of the day.

thispego
11-29-2007, 11:36 AM
what the fuck are you talking about? my statements lack class innnnnn what way???

samikeyp
11-29-2007, 11:36 AM
I tip according to the service I get. Even if its bad though, I usually leave 10-15%. If I get great service, you will get a great tip, as it should be.

thispego
11-29-2007, 11:38 AM
I tip according to the service I get. Even if its bad though, I usually leave 10-15%. If I get great service, you will get a great tip, as it should be.
exactly... is'nt this how it should always be????

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 11:44 AM
exactly... is'nt this how it should always be????No one is disputing how it should be. Its not going to be a typical night of serving tables. Most people seated at a non sportsbar establishment will stay 4 times longer than normal. Cheating a typical waittress or waiter out of 4 potential new customers to serve. I'm sure you understand this. If you expect someone to go above and beyond the typical 45 minutes to an hour serving you its not unreasonable to tip a little more than normal or tip for each drink brought to you like you would at a bar. They are in fact tending to you 4 times longer than on a normal night.

johnsmith
11-29-2007, 11:46 AM
I pray to everything holy that everyone here that disagrees with the point the thread starter is making gets in a car accident today.

samikeyp
11-29-2007, 11:49 AM
I pray to everything holy that everyone here that disagrees with the point the thread starter is making gets in a car accident today.

Whoa...isn't that a little harsh, even for you? :)

samikeyp
11-29-2007, 11:49 AM
If you expect someone to go above and beyond the typical 45 minutes to an hour serving you its not unreasonable to tip a little more than normal or tip for each drink brought to you like you would at a bar.

Which was my point exactly.

johnsmith
11-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Whoa...isn't that a little harsh, even for you? :)

Not a major car accident, just something that really inconvienences the shit out of them. Sort of like they will certainly do to the waiters/waitresses today.

angel_luv
11-29-2007, 11:51 AM

As someone whom works in a restaurant, I must say that Mel is absolutely correct.

I agree with the thread maker.

samikeyp
11-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Not a major car accident, just something that really inconvienences the shit out of them. Sort of like they will certainly do to the waiters/waitresses today.

Ok..that's fair. :tu

PizzaDeliveryGuy
11-29-2007, 11:54 AM
I hope Manny reads this thread.

thispego
11-29-2007, 12:01 PM
No one is disputing how it should be. Its not going to be a typical night of serving tables. Most people seated at a non sportsbar establishment will stay 4 times longer than normal. Cheating a typical waittress or waiter out of 4 potential new customers to serve. I'm sure you understand this. If you expect someone to go above and beyond the typical 45 minutes to an hour serving you its not unreasonable to tip a little more than normal or tip for each drink brought to you like you would at a bar. They are in fact tending to you 4 times longer than on a normal night.
i understand perfectly and the explanation was unneccessary. I also see what you are trying to do with this thread, and it's nice, but not worth the effort. low-lifes are low-lifes and they're not going to give a more reasonable tip because you suggest they should. My point is waiters and waitresses can handle one night of it. It's up to the restaurant anyways if they want to show the game and they'll have to deal with whatever type of business that brings. No matter what day it is waiters and waitresses are going to get the occassional shitty tip. today is no exception

Slomo
11-29-2007, 12:01 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10553

:lol

thispego
11-29-2007, 12:02 PM
you a waiter john smith?

Mixability
11-29-2007, 12:03 PM
If they don't want people nursing beers, they should tell their bosses to not show the game.

thispego
11-29-2007, 12:03 PM
ding ding ding

angel_luv
11-29-2007, 12:04 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10553

I didn't know if it was going to be that thread or the pizza guy one.

sa_butta
11-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Although they may "take it in the ass" Im sure there will be others who will order food and tip well from drinks. Maybe they will hurt today, but its only one day they may have to work harder to get some extra tips.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 12:08 PM
I not shocked at the amount bleeding vaginas in this thread. I mean it is the interweb and all. For all the people who didn't think about it because they are too self absorded with themselves. This thread is for you.

For the rest of you that feel that you're intitled to shit on someones day without an ounce of compassion and appreciation because a business owner made a decision to carry a game to provide you with a benefit you wouldn't normally have available. Please go fuck yourself with an AIDS invested razorblade. I really truely hope you get plowed by a drunk driver and lose no less than one limb.

Slomo
11-29-2007, 12:10 PM

I didn't know if it was going to be that thread or the pizza guy one.Can't find that one :depressed

thispego
11-29-2007, 12:10 PM
I not shocked at the amount bleeding vaginas in this thread. I mean it is the interweb and all. For all the people who didn't think about it because they are too self absorded with themselves. This thread is for you.

For the rest of you that feel that you're intitled to shit on someones day without an ounce of compassion and appreciation because a business owner made a decision to carry a game to provide you with a benefit you wouldn't normally have available. Please go fuck yourself with an AIDS invested razorblade. I really truely hope you get plowed by a drunk driver and lose no less than one limb.

hahaha, who's the bleeding vagina now??? :lmao

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 12:11 PM
For fucks sake people. I know most of you here wouldn't go above and beyond at your job ever, much less if someone told you to not only go above and beyond but take a paycut to do it.

Show your appreciation for getting a game you wouldn't normally get and service you wouldn't normally get by simply tipping a little better. Fuck you people are the worst kind. Ungrateful typical general public, shit is always about you isn't it. Fuck you all.

Slomo
11-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Found it!

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32245

thispego
11-29-2007, 12:13 PM
For fucks sake people. I know most of you here wouldn't go above and beyond at your job ever, much less if someone told you to not only go above and beyond but take a paycut to do it.

Show your appreciation for getting a game you wouldn't normally get and service you wouldn't normally get by simply tipping a little better. Fuck you people are the worst kind. Ungrateful typical general public, shit is always about you isn't it. Fuck you all.
uh yeah... i wont be going to watch the game anywhere tonight

is your bitch a waitress or something? what's the beef? where's your motivation coming from?

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Nice post. I really wouldn't expect any less from B2B.

If the service is good I tip 20% of the bill. I don't put my stay on a timer.

Truth is that Thursdays are typically not rockin' nights in most restaurants anyway, so my guess is that these wait staff won't be losing out on that much money by folks sitting and watching the game. In fact, they might do better than waiters at restaurants not showing the game.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 12:16 PM
hahaha, who's the bleeding vagina now??? :lmaoI don't wait table you assfuck. I'm not even going out to see the game. I thought it would be nice to remind people to give a little extra on a rare night. Good job being an internet asshole because you can.

OMG I can fuck a nice thread up because there are no laws on the web. People will laugh I will be ruler of my little eWorld. A good time will be had by all. :highfive: :buttslaps: Fucking stupid.

thispego
11-29-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't wait table you assfuck. I'm not even going out to see the game. I thought it would be nice to remind people to give a little extra on a rare night. Good job being an internet asshole because you can.

OMG I can fuck a nice thread up because there are no laws on the web. People will laugh I will be ruler of my little eWorld. A good time will be had by all. :highfive: :buttslaps: Fucking stupid.
how am i fucking the thread up? i havent gone off topic once. you're extra testy this morning back2basics :lol

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Nice post. I really wouldn't expect any less from B2B.

If the service is good I tip 20% of the bill. I don't put my stay on a timer.

Truth is that Thursdays are typically not rockin' nights in most restaurants anyway, so my guess is that these wait staff won't be losing out on that much money by folks sitting and watching the game. In fact, they might do better than waiters at restaurants not showing the game.Surely you didn't think I'd expect this thread to go over perfectly do you. It was a matter of time before some dumbasses chimed in to be funny. I mean it was hilarious wasn't it. We all laughed, good time were had. Fuck I even bookmarked it for a later laugh when times are down.

I made a nice thread for no reason other than to make it. I think people forget the little things....like other people living and functioning around them.

If you can't tell the difference between my sarcasm thats intended to mock the assholes here I'm sorry. You know what come to think of it, you've never gotten my sarcasm. Its pretty much your thing to mouth off about nothing, then point fingers and ultimately back off while proving and backing up nothing. You're a top 5 poster for me here based strictly on the scope of vision you live by.

angel_luv
11-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Found it!

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32245

Good job. :)

I was just coming in to say I looked but couldn't locate it either.

BacktoBasics
how am i fucking the thread up? i havent gone off topic once. you're extra testy this morning back2basics :lol :lol LMAO @ testy.

I'm thrown off by you being the one that though it would be funny to dick with this thread. I wasn't expecting it, well not from you.

Mr. Pink
i don't tip.

thispego
11-29-2007, 12:26 PM
oh and.. once you're done playing guitar hero you can come back up your assertion that I lack class. take your time :dramaquee

thispego
11-29-2007, 12:28 PM
:lol LMAO @ testy.

I'm thrown off by you being the one that though it would be funny to dick with this thread. I wasn't expecting it, well not from you.
first thread of the day that i could find some way to disagree with... come on B2b thats my MO

thispego
11-29-2007, 12:29 PM
i don't tip.
hahahaha, mr pink's the shit

Mixability
11-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Doesn't this same shit happen at places during the Spurs Playoff games anyway? Hooters, BWW, Wings and More? If they don't like people taking their sweet time eating and drinking, they need to get a new profession.

If they keep my beer full, boy's tea full and are generally nice, they get at least 25%. But they don't deserve a tip just for me coming in and camping out at one of their tables. I don't think I should tip 4x the amount just because I'm taking 4x of their time.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-29-2007, 12:39 PM
The utter hilarity in that Manu thread is the epitome of SpursTalk and its posters' rivalries.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Doesn't this same shit happen at places during the Spurs Playoff games anyway? Hooters, BWW, Wings and More? If they don't like people taking their sweet time eating and drinking, they need to get a new profession.

Second line first post

If you are going to a place other than a specific sports bar please tip the shit out of you waiter or waitress.

No I'm talking about restaurants that don't normally show games. I know here in Corpus last year two sports bars had to close their doors because they were at capacity. This year a bunch of restaurants are helping out the community by bringing in TV's and carrying the game. They don't typically show games. These are the places I'm talking about. If you work at Hooters you deal with this every football season, I'm not talking about these types of places, those waitstaffs will do well. The reason the restaruants are doing this is for the people that don't want to cram in a bar with a bunch of drunks.

I don't think I should tip 4x the amount just because I'm taking 4x of their time. Well that math doesn't add up. So you want more service for less on a night where people are going above and beyond to provide you with a service you wouldn't normally have.

Mixability
11-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Second line first post

If you are going to a place other than a specific sports bar please tip the shit out of you waiter or waitress.

No I'm talking about restaurants that don't normally show games. I know here in Corpus last year two sports bars had to close their doors because they were at capacity. This year a bunch of restaurants are helping out the community by bringing in TV's and carrying the game. They don't typically show games. These are the places I'm talking about. If you work at Hooters you deal with this every football season, I'm not talking about these types of places, those waitstaffs will do well. The reason the restaruants are doing this is for the people that don't want to cram in a bar with a bunch of drunks.

Well that math doesn't add up. So you want more service for less on a night where people are going above and beyond to provide you with a service you wouldn't normally have.

Then the restaurants and their staff should just not show the game, if they're not comfortable with having table campers. So, are you saying, regardless of the quality of service, we should tip better just because they're not used to people just waiting around to watch the game.

The math does add up if you figure that with 4x the time means I'd order 4x the beer. What service am I getting that I normally wouldn't have. I drink, they fill up my cup, rinse repeat. Why should they expect the 15% just for me being there?

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Surely you didn't think I'd expect this thread to go over perfectly do you. It was a matter of time before some dumbasses chimed in to be funny. I mean it was hilarious wasn't it. We all laughed, good time were had. Fuck I even bookmarked it for a later laugh when times are down.

I made a nice thread for no reason other than to make it. I think people forget the little things....like other people living and functioning around them.

If you can't tell the difference between my sarcasm thats intended to mock the assholes here I'm sorry. You know what come to think of it, you've never gotten my sarcasm. Its pretty much your thing to mouth off about nothing, then point fingers and ultimately back off while proving and backing up nothing. You're a top 5 poster for me here based strictly on the scope of vision you live by.

B2B, "backing off" as you put it is actually me getting bored with you and moving on. As for mouthing off about nothing, I'm not the one who posts a really 'funny' thread about tipping your waiters and then sits around defending it all day.

I'm glad I've got things other than bookmarked threads to turn to when times are down.

atxrocker
11-29-2007, 12:57 PM
i think i agree with every word that thispego has posted so far.

thispego
11-29-2007, 01:06 PM
boom shaka laka

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Then the restaurants and their staff should just not show the game, if they're not comfortable with having table campers. So, are you saying, regardless of the quality of service, we should tip better just because they're not used to people just waiting around to watch the game.

The math does add up if you figure that with 4x the time means I'd order 4x the beer. What service am I getting that I normally wouldn't have. I drink, they fill up my cup, rinse repeat. Why should they expect the 15% just for me being there?So you should tell these people to take a hike for trying to do something nice vs. simply showing a little gratitude.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 01:09 PM
B2B, "backing off" as you put it is actually me getting bored with you and moving on. As for mouthing off about nothing, I'm not the one who posts a really 'funny' thread about tipping your waiters and then sits around defending it all day.

I'm glad I've got things other than bookmarked threads to turn to when times are down.Whatever helps you feel better. You totally pwned me...can I do that? Can I put the little p before the w and n to make it seem like you're getting over. Are you bored with this thread yet?

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
The math does add up if you figure that with 4x the time means I'd order 4x the beer. What service am I getting that I normally wouldn't have. I drink, they fill up my cup, rinse repeat. Why should they expect the 15% just for me being there?

Good point.

I think this thread just illustrates the brilliance that is B2B.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Whatever helps you feel better. You totally pwned me...can I do that? Can I put the little p before the w and n to make it seem like you're getting over. Are you bored with this thread yet?

Yes I am.

Thanks for being pwned. Talk to you later.

Mixability
11-29-2007, 01:13 PM
So you should tell these people to take a hike for trying to do something nice vs. simply showing a little gratitude.

I'm not telling them to take a hike, I'm expecting them to do their job and fucking EARN their tip. They shouldn't expect a big tip, just because their boss decided he'd show the game. They do their part, I do mine.

j-6
11-29-2007, 01:15 PM
The same people that order a side salad and a water at Hooters during PPV wrestling to camp out all night will be out in full force tonight.

Mixability
11-29-2007, 01:15 PM
I was planning on watching the game at home, but now I feel like getting a bunch of friends and camping at an Applebees or wherever they're showing the game and leaving a fucking 25cent tip. Are you working tonight B2B?

Viva Las Espuelas
11-29-2007, 01:16 PM

I think that's what he is talking about. If you think everyone tips well for good service, you are sorely mistaken.no offense, but if you HAVE to depend on people tipping.....you should probably get another job. i give my 15% and that's all. i'm sorry.

Slomo
11-29-2007, 01:18 PM
The utter hilarity in that Manu thread is the epitome of SpursTalk and its posters' rivalries.I re-read the whole thing and came to two conclusions:

Things really haven't changed from then.

:lmao @ Manu actually apologizing to Manny

samikeyp
11-29-2007, 01:19 PM

Show your appreciation for getting a game you wouldn't normally get and service you wouldn't normally get by simply tipping a little better. Fuck you people are the worst kind Ungrateful typical general public, shit is always about you isn't it. Fuck you all.

Even those of us that agreed with you. :)

samikeyp
11-29-2007, 01:20 PM
The same people that order a side salad and a water at Hooters during PPV wrestling to camp out all night will be out in full force tonight.

Come on now...they order a side salad, water and a slice of key lime...get it straight!

johnsmith
11-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Yes I am.

Thanks for being pwned. Talk to you later.

Hey, remember when you were going to fly down to Corpus to fight me?

:lol :lol

That was good stuff.

Now shut the fuck up and make sure you tip well.

batman2883
11-29-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm not telling them to take a hike, I'm expecting them to do their job and fucking EARN their tip. They shouldn't expect a big tip, just because their boss decided he'd show the game. They do their part, I do mine.

I agree with Danyo, its pretty fucking stupid to expect a big tip cause you're serving someone during a game!!! If you want a good tip, I expect my beer glass to be always full and great service from beggining to end otherwise you're getting a buck

johnsmith
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
no offense, but if you HAVE to depend on people tipping.....you should probably get another job. i give my 15% and that's all. i'm sorry.

You know, I'm not a waiter, never have been, but this is the type of shit that pisses me off more then anything. "you should get another job".......what about the people that are busting their asses for tips because they need the extra money? Or they can't afford to buy their kids clothes because shithead mexicans like yourself ran out on the?

Fuck you. You should get a new job that doesn't deal with people because you fucking suck at it.

Soul_Patch
11-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Wow...there are a bunch of really cheap ungratefull fucks in this thread.

hey i sat at your table for 3hrs...here is 2 bucks...be thankful i gave you that!!

i hope someone shits in your salad.

johnsmith
11-29-2007, 01:26 PM
I agree with Danyo, its pretty fucking stupid to expect a big tip cause you're serving someone during a game!!! If you want a good tip, I expect my beer glass to be always full and great service from beggining to end otherwise you're getting a buck

Thought you'd have a different perspective on life.......nope, you're a dick.

johnsmith
11-29-2007, 01:28 PM
I especially like men that treat waitresses like shit because a football game is on. Just because you played high school football 15 years ago doesn't afford you the right to treat someone like shit, be loud, be obnoxious, and then tip poorly because you have clung to hard to your football days that you now dig ditches or are a out of work comedian.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-29-2007, 01:29 PM
clothes because shithead mexicans like yourself ran out on the?

Fuck you. You should get a new job that doesn't deal with people because you fucking suck at it.settle down honkey!!!! i don't run my tabs. i pay and tip ACCORDINGLY. plus i didn't force people to wait on tables. everyone makes their own choices just like you accusing me of being a "shithead mexican".

Viva Las Espuelas
11-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Wow...there are a bunch of really cheap ungratefull fucks in this thread.

hey i sat at your table for 3hrs...here is 2 bucks...be thankful i gave you that!!

i hope someone shits in your salad.if i sat somewhere for 3hrs i'm eating or drinking the whole time i'm there. i'm not drinking one beer an hour. if someone does that and tips accordingly to their bill, then yes, they're cheap bastards. me. i don't do that. if i'm there i'm spending money.

batman2883
11-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Thought you'd have a different perspective on life.......nope, you're a dick.

how do you figure??? if you want a good tip give good service....you cant expect things in life to be awesome if you have a pispoor attitude while doing your job

thispego
11-29-2007, 01:33 PM
man there are some latent emotions being laid out in this thread.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Paging The Meltdown. Would The Meltdown please report to this thread immediately?

Multiple casualties.

batman2883
11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
All I Have To Say Is This, If You Want A Good Tip, Give Good Service, Thats What Being A Waiter/waitress Is All About, And Believe Me Ive Had Some Great People Wait On Me Before And Ive Left Them A Lot Of Money, But Ive Also Had Some Pispoor Service Where I Never Once Even Got A Refill On A Drink, And Believe Me That Deserves Nothing But A Pispoor Tip

batman2883
11-29-2007, 01:36 PM
man there are some latent emotions being laid out in this thread.
ha ha ha tell me about it

Soul_Patch
no offense, but if you HAVE to depend on people tipping.....you should probably get another job. i give my 15% and that's all. i'm sorry.

Wow...im sorry, but this is probably the most ignorant thing posted in this whole damn thread.

please...id love to hear your argument about how this statement is sound...

tell this to people that rely on tips, rely on comission, own their own business and rely on customers, you name it...

cmon...think before you speak.

samikeyp
if you want a good tip give good service....

agreed...and if you get that good service, tip accordingly.

As someone who was a regular on Sundays at a certain bird named establishment, I got to know a lot of the wait staff through the other guys I hung out with. We took at least two tables for a better part of the afternoon and always made sure whomever had us was well taken care of.

johnsmith
how do you figure??? if you want a good tip give good service....you cant expect things in life to be awesome if you have a pispoor attitude while doing your job

Ok, maybe I mis read you there.

How about this, let's say you are a 15% tipper wherever you go. If it's good service it's 15% if it's bad it's 10%.

Having said that, what if you go to a joint tonight, you order a meal, and have 4 beers throughout the night while watching a 3 1/2 hour game. Service was good, not great, but the place was packed and the waitress was slammed. What do you tip, 15 or more?

Now mind you, normally you are in and out of this joint in 45 minutes to an hour and you buy a meal and a drink. So now you've taken up almost four times as much time at this waitresses table and only purchased three drinks more then you'd normally purchase.

Mixability
11-29-2007, 01:38 PM
keep my glass full = more tip

is it that hard to comprehend?

You don't get my cash for free, you're working a job. If you want handouts, stand on the side of the road with a sign.

Soul_Patch
11-29-2007, 01:39 PM
agreed...and if you get that good service, tip accordingly.

As someone who was a regular on Sundays at a certain bird named establishment, I got to know a lot of the wait staff through the other guys I hung out with. We took at least two tables for a better part of the afternoon and always made sure whomever had us was well taken care of.

exactly...just tip accordingly.

..but if you are like soo many others, and sit for 3hrs...drink a water, and eat 15 baskets of free chips and salsa, and leave a 2 dollar tip, even if 2 dollars was 80% gratuity...its still fucked up...i think this thread is directed at you...

batman2883
11-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Ok, maybe I mis read you there.

How about this, let's say you are a 15% tipper wherever you go. If it's good service it's 15% if it's bad it's 10%.

Having said that, what if you go to a joint tonight, you order a meal, and have 4 beers throughout the night while watching a 3 1/2 hour game. Service was good, not great, but the place was packed and the waitress was slammed. What do you tip, 15 or more?

Now mind you, normally you are in and out of this joint in 45 minutes to an hour and you buy a meal and a drink. So now you've taken up almost four times as much time at this waitresses table and only purchased three drinks more then you'd normally purchase.

I never tip just 15% i always over tip especially if the service is good.
and trust me i take my sporting events into great consideration, if i order a small meal and drink a couple of drinks and stay to watch the game, and the wait staff still offers me drinks and i decline i more than overcompensate them for their loss of money due to my taking up one of their tables.

My point is, if that waitstaff doesnt come around and at least offer to fill up my drink or order something else then what kind of tip would they deserve?

Melmart1
11-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Why would I be offended? I work from home so I don't have to deal with pricks like you. I am not, nor have I ever been a waiter. But, I realize that if I sit in a bar or restaurant and take up an entire table for four hours, that I should give extra, not just 15% of what I ordered. Particularly if my bill for four hours comes out to like 20 bucks or something.

johnsmith
11-29-2007, 01:41 PM
I never tip just 15% i always over tip especially if the service is good.
and trust me i take my sporting events into great consideration, if i order a small meal and drink a couple of drinks and stay to watch the game, and the wait staff still offers me drinks and i decline i more than overcompensate them for their loss of money due to my taking up one of their tables.

My point is, if that waitstaff doesnt come around and at least offer to fill up my drink or order something else then what kind of tip would they deserve?

Fantastic, I'm in 100% agreement with you.

batman2883
11-29-2007, 01:41 PM
exactly...just tip accordingly.

..but if you are like soo many others, and sit for 3hrs...drink a water, and eat 15 baskets of free chips and salsa, and leave a 2 dollar tip, even if 2 dollars was 80% gratuity...its still fucked up...i think this thread is directed at you...

see yeah i can understand where that could be a pretty fucked up thing to do

batman2883
11-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Fantastic, I'm in 100% agreement with you.

great

johnsmith
11-29-2007, 01:44 PM

This quote pisses me off more everytime I read it. Fuck you dude, you're a prick.

And how the Fuck do I get "believe" out from under my name?

Mixability
11-29-2007, 01:46 PM
If you paying your rent depends on tips, commision, etc, then make sure you do a good job. Don't expect charity. If I were to watch the game tonight, order $25 bucks of food and beer and got great service, I'd write the receipt for $50. But don't expect a good tip for just doing the minimum. If all your table are being camped, it shouldn't be that hard to keep my glass full.

batman2883
11-29-2007, 01:48 PM

you gotta believe in what you want it to be and it will change

Soul_Patch
11-29-2007, 01:48 PM
I dont think anyone was saying "tip more regardless of the service!"

Melmart1
11-29-2007, 01:49 PM
You know, this quote is even dumber than I had previously realized.

So, you are saying that if you HAVE to depend on tips, get another job. So basically, you are saying that NOBODY should ever become a waiter because then they would have to rely on tips to get paid.

Geez, if nobody ever becomes a waiter, then who is going to serve your cheap, shyster ass?

Viva Las Espuelas
11-29-2007, 01:51 PM
You know, this quote is even dumber than I had previously realized.

So, you are saying that if you HAVE to depend on tips, get another job. So basically, you are saying that NOBODY should ever become a waiter because then they would have to rely on tips to get paid.

Geez, if nobody ever becomes a waiter, then who is going to serve your cheap, shyster ass?read my other posts on this "matter"............then speak.

Melmart1
11-29-2007, 01:51 PM
If you paying your rent depends on tips, commision, etc, then make sure you do a good job. Don't expect charity. If I were to watch the game tonight, order $25 bucks of food and beer and got great service, I'd write the receipt for $50. But don't expect a good tip for just doing the minimum. If all your table are being camped, it shouldn't be that hard to keep my glass full.
You missed the point entirely. NOBODY is saying give something for nothing. IF the service is bad, tip accordingly.

But if you buy two beers in four hours and tip $1 because your bill was $5, then you are being an asshole. Tip extra because the service was good and you took up a spot for four hours and basically tipped .25/hr. That's all.

Mixability
11-29-2007, 01:52 PM
I dont think anyone was saying "tip more regardless of the service!"

It was said to tip the shit out of your waitress, since you'll be taking their time from them. If it was implied that they should be tipped well for a good job, then I missed that.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 01:52 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/Trailer21/awesome20thread.jpg

Soul_Patch
11-29-2007, 01:54 PM
If you open your own business, and HAVE to rely on customers to buy your product, you should probably get another job!

If you work for a large medical equipment company and HAVE to rely on hosipitals to buy your xray machines, you should probably get another job!

If you sell cars/boats/anything and have to rely on comission from your sales, you should probably get another job!

If your a stock broker and have to rely on bonuses to supliment your income and afford you your lifestyle, you shoulr probably get another job!

we should all just rely static salary then the world would just be a better place...next time you take the old lady out to red lobster for your aniversary...you guys can do all the serving and cooking yourself...that would be romantic!

Mixability
11-29-2007, 01:55 PM
You missed the point entirely. NOBODY is saying give something for nothing. IF the service is bad, tip accordingly.

But if you buy two beers in four hours and tip $1 because your bill was $5, then you are being an asshole. Tip extra because the service was good and you took up a spot for four hours and basically tipped .25/hr. That's all.

In regards to the original post, I'll tip for good service, but not just because they can't turn over tables and are swamped on a fucking Thursday.

samikeyp
11-29-2007, 01:56 PM

Give Kori a title for under your name and she can change it.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 02:01 PM
It was said to tip the shit out of your waitress, since you'll be taking their time from them. If it was implied that they should be tipped well for a good job, then I missed that.Despite your stupidity I will go ahead and agree that I was implying to tip a little based on the amount of extra time you'd be taking up. Time is exactly what waiting is all about. The more people you sit and make happy in your alloted time or shift the more money you make.

Sitting down and sucking four hours out of a normal 45 minute dinner is basically taking food off their table, their job is to flip tables for money. You fail to see that, you like everyone else thinks its all about you and it isn't, they don't give a shit about you they care about getting you in and out. Serving you well is just a small piece of the puzzle. Their job isn't solely to make you happy, the goal is to flip as many as possible and thats how you get paid. I'm not saying to tip more if you get ignored and shit on. I don't blame you for stiffing in that situation but all I asked was for you selfish self-absorbed pretentious fucktards to do was be a little more generous with your tips because you're taking up their time which = potential money. I didn't say tolerate shit and tip for it.

This thread just proves how most people think its all about them when in reality you're nothing to anyone. Just loud obnoxious cattle.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-29-2007, 02:03 PM
This thread just proves how most people think its all about them when in reality you're nothing to anyone. Just loud obnoxious cattle.
gee, do you tell this to the people that help you pay your rent? :rolleyes
quit being so dramatic. now go get me my turkey pot pie!!!!!!!!!!!

Mixability
11-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Despite your stupidity I will go ahead and agree that I was implying to tip a little based on the amount of extra time you'd be taking up. Time is exactly what waiting is all about. The more people you sit and make happy in your alloted time or shift the more money you make.

Sitting down and sucking four hours out of a normal 45 minute dinner is basically taking food off their table, their job is to flip tables for money. You fail to see that, you like everyone else thinks its all about you and it isn't, they don't give a shit about you they care about getting you in and out. Serving you well is just a small piece of the puzzle. Their job isn't solely to make you happy, the goal is to flip as many as possible and thats how you get paid. I'm not saying to tip more if you get ignored and shit on then. I don't blame you for stiffing in that situation but all I asked was for you selfish self-absorbed pretentious fucktards to do was be a little more generous with your tips because you're taking up their time which = potential money. I didn't say tolerate shit and tip for it.

It's not about me, I know that. But I don't see why I should pay to offset the time I'm taking. If the restaurants waitstaff isn't prepared to lose out on the deal, then they should go to the higher ups and say to not show the fucking game.

Here's a question, since I'd like to know.

You and your girl go out to see the game, order drinks, food, etc, 4 hours later, the bill comes out to $50.00. What do you fill in on the tip section of the receipt?

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 02:07 PM
gee, do you tell this to the people that help you pay your rent? :rolleyes
quit being so dramatic. now go get me my turkey pot pie!!!!!!!!!!!You really truely are the worst mexican ever, now go tell some bricklayers and laborers to get another job because if you don't like sitting out in the sun in 109 degree temperature then you shouldn't be there. You'll get no pot pie because you don't tip for shit.....and you'll fucking like it.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 02:12 PM
It's not about me, I know that. But I don't see why I should pay to offset the time I'm taking. If the restaurants waitstaff isn't prepared to lose out on the deal, then they should go to the higher ups and say to not show the fucking game.

Here's a question, since I'd like to know.

You and your girl go out to see the game, order drinks, food, etc, 4 hours later, the bill comes out to $50.00. What do you fill in on the tip section of the receipt?I would tip 30 to that 50 and I'd tip a buck to 2 bucks every round of drinks they bring me after my table was clear and I was done with dinner. Just like I would at a normal sports bar. That would pale in comparison to what they could make with 4 other tables or more, some people eat in a half hour, I know I have. Now typically a 50 dollar bill would get about 18-20 out of me.

Its a fucking courtesy to carry the game.....as a favor to the customers at the establishments expense. Not every employee is just going to bitch and moan and be selfish. I think it would be nice to make up that expense for the innocent staff by compensating some of their time in the form of a stronger tip.

I feel for the people that go home with 100 bucks in tips on what would normally be a 150 dollar night. 5 times more exhausted and metally beat to boot.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-29-2007, 02:15 PM
You really truely are the worst mexican ever, now go tell some bricklayers and laborers to get another job because if you don't sitting out in the sun in 109 degree temperature then you shouldn't be there. You'll get no pot pie because you don't tip for shit.....and you'll fucking like it.:lol:lol

SpursWoman
11-29-2007, 02:15 PM
You'll get no pot pie because you don't tip for shit.

Mixability
11-29-2007, 02:17 PM
I would tip 30 to that 50 and I'd tip a buck to 2 bucks every round of drinks they bring me after my table was clear and I was done with dinner. Just like I would at a normal sports bar. That would pale in comparison to what they could make with 4 other tables or more, some people eat in a half hour, I know I have. Now typically a 50 dollar bill would get about 18-20 out of me.

Its a fucking courtesy to carry the game.....as a favor to the customers at the establishments expense. Not every employee is just going to bitch and moan and be selfish. I think it would be nice to make up that expense for the innocent staff by compensating some of their time in the form of a stronger tip.

I feel for the people that go home with 100 bucks in tips on what would normally be a 150 dollar night. 5 times more exhausted and metally beat to boot.

And that's with flawless service or the "piss poor, gimme charity, because I'm a waiter" service?

j-6
11-29-2007, 02:24 PM
I hope the owner of the Freetail Brewing Company reads this thread.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 02:27 PM
And that's with flawless service or the "piss poor, gimme charity, because I'm a waiter" service?
That would be with average service. Depending on the amount of customers I'll have more patients than most night. I don't mind waiting a little for another beer or a refill if I see her busting his/her ass to get to everyone.

You'd have to really go out of your way to ignore me or you'd have to actually attempt to piss me off for me to tip 5,10,15 or less dollars.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-29-2007, 02:29 PM
I'll have more patients than most night.are you a waiter or surgeon. i tip surgeons pretty well

:lol:lol:lol

Bigzax
11-29-2007, 02:33 PM
don't forget to tip your dancers during the commercial breaks!

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-29-2007, 02:36 PM
I hope the owner of the Freetail Brewing Company reads this thread.

Probably wouldn't mind some photos of people, either.

velik_m
11-29-2007, 02:38 PM
If you don't like your paycheck, you should talk to your boss. Why should the customer care about it? What's next - tipping a cashier in supermarket for providing you with excelent service? Tipping is a scam - employers can give lower pays to workers and give "lower" prices to customers - fucking both of them in the process.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-29-2007, 02:46 PM
If you don't like your paycheck, you should talk to your boss. Why should the customer care about it? What's next - tipping a cashier in supermarket for providing you with excelent service? Tipping is a scam - employers can give lower pays to workers and give "lower" prices to customers - fucking both of them in the process.man, i'm glad someone said it. i knew it would really flame up the place, but hey - it does make sense.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 02:50 PM
If you don't like your paycheck, you should talk to your boss. Why should the customer care about it? What's next - tipping a cashier in supermarket for providing you with excelent service? Tipping is a scam - employers can give lower pays to workers and give "lower" prices to customers - fucking both of them in the process.Fucking genius, someone get this guy a feminine mixed drink.

King
11-29-2007, 03:02 PM
I think the funny part is that these waiters/waitresses can see you coming from a mile away. They know if you're nursing the beer/food and about what they can expect. And you courageously eat the food thinking you're pulling one over on them.

I never understood being a jerk to the person that handles what I'm about to eat behind closed doors.

I'd guess you've ingested quite a bit more than you ordered from these people.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Fucking genius, someone get this guy a feminine mixed drink.don't forget to serve it with all the necessary flair

dickface
11-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Fucking genius, someone get this guy a feminine mixed drink.
:lmao Bishop is takin it to em

ploto
11-29-2007, 03:13 PM
First off you might want to actually learn something about how business is conducted in other countries before you insult someone who is relaying the way it is there.

Secondly, what restaurants even have the NFL network-- ones that are not used to having a boatload of people come and sit around and watch a game.

Thirdly, I would think many would be happy to have a crowd on a Thursday night.

Fourth, if you want a good tip tonight, you have to actually wait on me and not be in the back watching the game yourself. At a very nice place I eat often, I had a horrible waiter who kept disappearing to the back to watch the Spurs game during the play-offs. If I wanted to watch the game, I would have been there, and if he wanted to watch it, he should have taken the night off.

Fifth, and for the record, I do tip well when I know I am going to be sitting somewhere and not spending the standard amount. At a bar, I only ever have one drink, and so I give a huge tip to the bartender because I am sitting there using up space. Some restaurants, I like to eat at the bar when I am alone and so again I tip really well because I am occupying space that usually turns over quickly.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=ploto]First off you might want to actually learn something about how business is conducted in other countries before you insult someone who is relaying the way it is there.

I don't care where he/it is, a douche is a douche in many different languages.

Fourth, if you want a good tip tonight, you have to actually wait on me and not be in the back watching the game yourself. At a very nice place I eat often, I had a horrible waiter who kept disappearing to the back to watch the Spurs game during the play-offs. If I wanted to watch the game, I would have been there, and if he wanted to watch it, he should have taken the night off.
What the fuck are you doing going out to eat on a playoff night and not watching the game. I can't take anything seriously from you after reading that.

Fifth, and for the record, I do tip well when I know I am going to be sitting somewhere and not spending the standard amount. At a bar, I only ever have one drink, and so I give a huge tip to the bartender because I am sitting there using up space. Some restaurants, I like to eat at the bar when I am alone and so again I tip really well because I am occupying space that usually turns over quickly.So you're bitching to me about us agreeing on a sense of decency.

Slomo
11-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Why is he a douche?

Because he lives in a country where waiters are treated equally to other professions and have decent wages?

I've asked the question before, but never got an answer. Why are waiters in the US second grade citizens? Why is their profession the only one who's salary is dependent on the good will of their customers?

And if this is such a good system why aren't other people in the service industry paid the same way (minimal salary + tips)?

ploto
11-29-2007, 03:30 PM

What the fuck are you doing going out to eat on a playoff night and not watching the game. I can't take anything seriously from you after reading that.

Do you even know the tipping standards in Europe-- thought not.

As to going out to eat during a Spurs game, you missed the point entirely. The waiter should still be waiting on me, not watching the game in the back room. Given that the proprietor knows me, not a good idea.

My issue is not with your initial message but your comments to everyone after it. I stated what I do but no one else is obliged to do the same.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Why is he a douche?

If you don't like your paycheck, you should talk to your boss. Why should the customer care about it? Stunk of douchery

Because he lives in a country where waiters are treated equally to other professions and have decent wages? No he didn't say that. I like that idea though

I've asked the question before, but never got an answer. Why are waiters in the US second grade citizens? Why is their profession the only one who's salary is dependent on the good will of their customers?

And if this is such a good system why aren't other people in the service industry paid the same way (minimal salary + tips)?

Lots of people are on a commission which is very similar.....

thispego
11-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Why is he a douche?

Because he lives in a country where waiters are treated equally to other professions and have decent wages?

i've never been able to wrap my mind around that one either, Slomo. I made more in a single night as a newly hired plate dresser than some of my waiter/waitress counterparts would make who had been there years longer than i had.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Do you even know the tipping standards in Europe-- thought not.

As to going out to eat during a Spurs game, you missed the point entirely. The waiter should still be waiting on me, not watching the game in the back room. Given that the proprietor knows me, not a good idea.

My issue is not with your initial message but your comments to everyone after it. I stated what I do but no one else is obliged to do the same.Yeah I've been to Europe smartass. Don't patronize me you pretentious fuck. In Europe like most other foriegn countries I've visited its quite common for the tip to be included in the bill. So assholes like you guys don't stiff honest work.

I still can't respect you if you're out to eat while missing a playoff game.

ploto
11-29-2007, 03:40 PM

I truly have no idea why the food industry is allowed to pay waiters less than minimum wage.

According to the US Department of Labor website-if an employee's tips combined with the employer's wage per hour do not equal the hourly minimum wage, the employer is required to make up the difference. I have never heard if any restaurant actually does that.

From Wikipedia:

In Germany and other Western countries, where minimum wages exist for waitstaff and where tipping is not culturally entrenched, most tips take the form of rounding up to the nearest whole or half denomination of currency when the waiter is cashing a party out at their table.

By contrast, waiters and waitresses in Japan refuse tips, which are sometimes even considered an insult. It is believed there that leaving a tip implies that the staff are not being paid enough by their employer, or that the customer believes the server must be paid extra to deliver a proper service.

Tipping is not customary in Asia, Australia and New Zealand and is not factored into wages of staff.

Slomo
11-29-2007, 03:44 PM
It's not the same as a commission. A commission is the exact result of a measurable performance. Commissions are OK.
Tips are very much dependent on the good will of patrons. The tip is the result of a purely subjective perception of the waiters performance.
It is a strange system that I personally find demeaning.

ploto
11-29-2007, 03:45 PM
So assholes like you guys don't stiff honest work.

Last place I ate, I tipped 50%. Nice to know that makes me an asshole.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Last place I ate, I tipped 50%. Nice to know that makes me an asshole.I wasn't specifically saying you. Your tip was appreciated.

ploto
11-29-2007, 03:46 PM
It's not the same as a commission. A commission is the exact result of a measurable performance. Commissions are OK.
Tips are very much dependent on the good will of patrons. The tip is the result of a purely subjective perception of the waiters performance.
It is a strange system that I personally find demeaning.
What is bad to me is that waiters often get stiffed for things they have no control over.

ploto
11-29-2007, 03:48 PM
I wasn't specifically saying you. Your tip was appreciated.
But the guy watching the Spurs game only got 15 % - the bare minimum.

leemajors
from what i understand, waiters generally aren't working for tips in europe.

Slomo
What is bad to me is that waiters often get stiffed for things they have no control over.Exactly, as I said it's purely subjective hence unfair.

j-6
I've asked the question before, but never got an answer. Why are waiters in the US second grade citizens?

To screw the government. All tipped employees are required by law to claim 100% of the tips they earn. Realistically they only claim whatever tips the POS (computer point of sale) system tallies, meaning the tips left on a credit card transaction. Cash goes in their pocket. It's not unheard of for service industry people to make 50K a year but only claim 16-18K in taxes. And at that level, you're eligible to file exempt on the American 1040EZ form and get most of your tax money refunded.

Of course, the employer doesn't mind getting labor for 2.13 an hour, either.

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 03:49 PM
It is a strange system that I personally find demeaning.I agree with you thats why I said it was like it not exactly the same. That is in relation to a shitty base pay most commission workers have.

Opinionater
11-29-2007, 03:50 PM
IMHO, the tip should be based on the service you receive, if the waitress or waiter is a hottie and the quality of the food and nothing more.

The_Waaaambulance
11-29-2007, 03:58 PM
You guys can be dicks all you want. All I'm saying is that a non sports bar that is typically not used to people sitting around nursing drinks for 4 hours will have a waitstaff that will suffer because tables won't be turning over. If you don't have enough common sense to see the difference I'm sorry. I just think some of you should take it into consideration.

And this coming from an asshole like myself who could give a shit about most to all of you fucking know it all general public dumbasses.

Don't worry though I'll stay here and argue with you about for most of the day.

You called, ma'am?

Slomo
11-29-2007, 04:08 PM
To screw the government. All tipped employees are required by law to claim 100% of the tips they earn. Realistically they only claim whatever tips the POS (computer point of sale) system tallies, meaning the tips left on a credit card transaction. Cash goes in their pocket. It's not unheard of for service industry people to make 50K a year but only claim 16-18K in taxes. And at that level, you're eligible to file exempt on the American 1040EZ form and get most of your tax money refunded.

Of course, the employer doesn't mind getting labor for 2.13 an hour, either.That's a good point but it doesn't explain why are waiters the only profession (or one of the very few) being paid in such a way. If it's such a great thing (less taxes) why aren't other professions arguing for the same system?

I've been to many restaurants in the US (those who know me would argue that I have been in too many restaurants). Because of the work I do I had to take important clients to fancy dinners in Las Vegas where a 800$ check was nothing special and I did tip the waitress accordingly (by then I had learned my lesson). Now I'm sure that waitress was making a lot of money and she was very nice, quite pretty and did her job splendidly.

The waitress who served me breakfast at Denny's the next morning was working just as hard (maybe even harder) and was also very efficient and cordial - except her tip was nowhere near what the young cute redhead from the "Red Square" got the evening before. Which of the two would you say represents the majority in their profession?

So what are we really rewarding? I'll bet you anything that most waiters has difficulty in making ends meet and are not in this for the tax evasion opportunity.

leemajors
11-29-2007, 04:18 PM
That's a good point but it doesn't explain why are waiters the only profession (or one of the very few) being paid in such a way. If it's such a great thing (less taxes) why aren't other professions arguing for the same system?

I've been to many restaurants in the US (those who know me would argue that I have been in too many restaurants). Because of the work I do I had to take important clients to fancy dinners in Las Vegas where a 800$ check was nothing special and I did tip the waitress accordingly (by then I had learned my lesson). Now I'm sure that waitress was making a lot of money and she was very nice, quite pretty and did her job splendidly.

The waitress who served me breakfast at Denny's the next morning was working just as hard (maybe even harder) and was also very efficient and cordial - except her tip was nowhere near what the young cute redhead from the "Red Square" got the evening before. Which of the two would you say represents the majority in their profession?

So what are we really rewarding? I'll bet you anything that most waiters has difficulty in making ends meet and are not in this for the tax evasion opportunity.
well you can have waiters run a lot of food at the end of their shift or if they're being cut (generally when it's busy), using their $2.13 to a a minimum wage job.

j-6
11-29-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you wanted to know why that type of system existed. The only explanation I can think of is that most restaurants don't profit more than 20%, labor stays down this way with the majority of your staff making less than half of minimum wage, and nobody from ownership to wage earner wants the system to change. That, and in many restaurants the waitstaff themselves have to tip out other restaurant employees like the hosts, the bussers, and the expediter.

Anyway, it's not unheard of for diner-style waitstaff (like the Denny's you just described) to make very good money for unskilled, uneducated labor...like 600-700 a week or so on five shifts. They'll make their money on volume - waiting on 10-12 tables at a time, or roughly $30 an hour ($3 tips x 10 tables per hour), while the server at Red Square would have had your table and maybe three others her entire shift, making 120 a table but sharing it with a food runner, a hostess, a backwaiter, and a maitre d.

There are as many different ways of earning a living off tips as there are restaurants in this country.

thispego
11-29-2007, 04:28 PM
holy shit someone trhow some more coal in the furnace.. this thread has officially RUN OUT OF STEAM!!

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 04:31 PM
holy shit someone trhow some more coal in the furnace.. this thread has officially RUN OUT OF STEAM!!STFU you cheap son of a bitch.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Hey, remember when you were going to fly down to Corpus to fight me?

:lol :lol

That was good stuff.

Now shut the fuck up and make sure you tip well.

I actually don't remember.

If I did that was actually pretty stupid, to be sure. Just in case I did...my apologies.

Mixability
11-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Anyone down for a Cowboys GTG? I'll order the water, lemon, and sugar for all of us. Hopefully they have the chips gratis......

Richard Cranium
11-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Anyone down for a Cowboys GTG? I'll order the water, lemon, and sugar for all of us. Hopefully they have the chips gratis......

How much do we have to tip?

2centsworth
11-29-2007, 04:44 PM
That's a good point but it doesn't explain why are waiters the only profession (or one of the very few) being paid in such a way. If it's such a great thing (less taxes) why aren't other professions arguing for the same system?

that comparison can be made in any profession. High School Football coach versus college or pros being an example.

the fancy restaurant lady needs to know a lot about wines, fine dining, speak well, etc... Denny's you just need to break your back, but you do get a whole bunch more tables too.

dead giveaway I waited tables while in school.

Mixability
11-29-2007, 04:51 PM
How much do we have to tip?

what's 15% of $0?

ShoogarBear
11-29-2007, 05:09 PM
I just finished page 1, but this thread went Classic around post 20.

ToughActinTinactin
11-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Best tip is to get there early.

mrsmaalox
11-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Interesting, you guys have been debating this all day! I just wanted to tell you about a site I like to visit occasionally called BitterWaitress.com; sorry I don't know how to link. They have an excellent "Shitty Tipper Database" and is quite entertaining!

ShoogarBear
11-29-2007, 05:27 PM
holy shit someone trhow some more coal in the furnace.. this thread has officially RUN OUT OF STEAM!!Okay, I'm game.

For the record, I agree with leaving bigger tips if I'm taking up time.

However, is the converse true? If I go into a restaurant, have a quick beer, and am out of there in 15 minutes, is it okay to leave a smaller tip because I'm helping them turn over faster?

BacktoBasics
11-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Okay, I'm game.

However, is the converse true? If I go into a restaurant, have a quick beer, and am out of there in 15 minutes, is it okay to leave a smaller tip because I'm helping them turn over faster?For just one beer maybe a buck.

Jimcs50
11-29-2007, 05:33 PM
I have a solution. Everyone come to my house and watch the game, I have DirecTv. You can tip me if you wish.

:)

Jimcs50
11-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Okay, I'm game.

However, is the converse true? If I go into a restaurant, have a quick beer, and am out of there in 15 minutes, is it okay to leave a smaller tip because I'm helping them turn over faster?

Why are you sitting at a table having one beer? Go to the bar, you little pussy.

thispego
11-29-2007, 05:38 PM
how about this.............. i base my tip on the cost of what I'm eating and drinking. if they charge me 6 dollars for a beer where i could get the same beer for 3 dollars somewhere else, i will cut the tip in half to compensate for how much more I'm having to spend

Jimcs50
11-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Why is he a douche?

Because, restaurants have such a small profit margin, they can not afford to pay the wait staff enough money to make it worth their while doing that job.I waited table for 10 yrs and it is hard work, if you do ity right, and I would not have done that job if I did not make tips, not even for 2x min wage....no way.

Also you will not get near as good service if the wait person did not profit from giving great service.

there are 2 reasons, ok?

Spurminator
11-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Just don't go to a restaurant to watch a football game. Go to a sports bar. Problem solved.

If you're going to Chili's to watch Cowboys/Packers for 3 hours, not only should you be required to tip x3, you should be fined an additional amount for being a moron.

ShoogarBear
11-29-2007, 05:48 PM
For just one beer maybe a buck.One buck? For a five dollar beer? That's 20%! :madrun

ShoogarBear
11-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Why are you sitting at a table having one beer? Go to the bar, you little pussy.I need the table for the homemade PB&Js I brought in with me.

Jimcs50
11-29-2007, 05:56 PM
I need the table for the homemade PB&Js I brought in with me.

Well, you left out that important tidbit of info....my bad.

:)

Slomo
11-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Because, restaurants have such a small profit margin, they can not afford to pay the wait staff enough money to make it worth their while doing that job.I waited table for 10 yrs and it is hard work, if you do ity right, and I would not have done that job if I did not make tips, not even for 2x min wage....no way.

Also you will not get near as good service if the wait person did not profit from giving great service.

there are 2 reasons, ok?Nope

You're a dentist right?

Why don't you charge your patient for the material costs of the procedure and a certain percentage for the costs of your practice, while your salary should be paid by tips (voluntary donations after you're done, based solely on their opinion of how well you did).

It worked so well for you as a waiter, it should work even better now.

Or do you have a problem with a layman judging your work?

My point is not about the amount of the money they make, but how they are making it.

Tips are not stimulation since I can arbitrarily decide how much I'll give, if at all. Commissions are.

And for the record I never talked about minimum wages, I talked about a fair and decent salary for the work they do.

Spurminator
11-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Being a former waiter, I can appreciate B2B's concern, but I just can't imagine there's many restaurants the people are going to flock to to watch a football game that aren't already used to this sort of thing any time there's a big game on. It would be one thing if The Olive Garden suddenly got packed with football fans intending to stay for 3 hours, but restaurants like Olive Garden don't have TVs.

The restaurants that do have TVs near all of the tables WANT to attract the stay-and-drink sports fan, so they probably have it set up where there's a smaller waitstaff serving more customers rather than your typical one-waiter-for-four tables set up.

At least that's how I'd do it.

thispego
11-29-2007, 06:14 PM
you have all just been spurminated

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-29-2007, 06:18 PM
I need the table for the homemade PB&Js I brought in with me.

I usually go one step further and bring my own beer in with me.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
11-29-2007, 06:18 PM
This thread is awesome.

I tip what I feel is necessary, anywhere from 10 to 50%. Never has time been a consideration and I doubt it ever will be. It's all based on service or, in most cases, the lack thereof.

11-29-2007, 06:25 PM
And if you have anyone ever take care of you, like taking a $150 tab and turning it into a $75 one, the tip should, at least, be the difference in bills.

MannyIsGod
11-29-2007, 06:28 PM
:lmao @ slomo's links

johnsmith
11-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Last place I ate, I tipped 50%. Nice to know that makes me an asshole.

No, that tip makes you generous, it's your Euro trash fucked up personality that makes you an asshole.

11-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Ouch.

:lmao

MannyIsGod
11-29-2007, 06:30 PM
No, that tip makes you generous, it's your Euro trash fucked up personality that makes you an asshole.Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaamn

Jimcs50
11-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Nope

You're a dentist right?

Or do you have a problem with a layman judging your work?

And for the record I never talked about minimum wages, I talked about a fair and decent salary for the work they do.

Read my first point.

Restaurants can not afford to pay wait staff a fair and reasonable salary...restaurants do not make enough profit to do so. The system is perfect now. Sure you get stiffed by assholes now and then, but by and large, wait staff make a nice living. Restaurants save money with the wages they save in this system, thus they keep costs lower and stay in business longer.

I am judged by the lay person every day. If patients are not happy with my service, they do not come back...simple as that.

ShoogarBear
11-29-2007, 07:17 PM
You guys should have worked in a mob restaurant. The tips are great, and nobody cares about profit margin.

ploto
11-29-2007, 10:09 PM
No, that tip makes you generous, it's your Euro trash fucked up personality that makes you an asshole.
My Euro trash personality? When did San Antonio move to Europe?

ploto
11-29-2007, 10:11 PM
I am judged by the lay person every day. If patients are not happy with my service, they do not come back...simple as that.
But they are still expected to pay you.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-29-2007, 11:56 PM
i went to on the border for a pregame shindig. the tab was $40 and I LEFT NOTHING!!!!!!

johnsmith
11-30-2007, 12:07 AM
i went to on the border for a pregame shindig. the tab was $40 and I LEFT NOTHING!!!!!!

Which is equal to what you and your family have contributed to society you worthless fuck.

CuckingFunt
11-30-2007, 12:12 AM
I've never understood why people feel the need to be such assholes about tipping.

marini martini
11-30-2007, 12:22 AM
I always tip large, knowing my bambina has been a waitress

Cry Havoc
11-30-2007, 12:25 AM
I've never understood why people feel the need to be such assholes about tipping.

Because they aren't forced to give money.

People readily value money above their own honor or decency.

CuckingFunt
11-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Because they aren't forced to give money.

People readily value money above their own honor or decency.I think that's part of it.

I think it also probably has to do with the unbelievable sense of entitlement that so many people seem to have these days.

leemajors
11-30-2007, 12:34 AM
tip well, good things happen.

mrsmaalox
11-30-2007, 12:40 AM
May not be fair, but I tip a female better; I just always imagine them as a single mom or a student working through school. My husband is a generous tipper; he only short changes the guys he suspects are trying to look down my blouse!

(Where the hell have my smileys gone?!)

Viva Las Espuelas
11-30-2007, 02:35 AM
Which is equal to what you and your family have contributed to society you worthless fuck.I didn't leave anything because my buddy took care of the whole bill, YOU STUPID ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think, Son..........Think.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-30-2007, 02:35 AM
I think it also probably has to do with the unbelievable sense of entitlement that so many people seem to have these days.if only both parties could see it that way.

atxrocker
11-30-2007, 02:38 AM
people who jump on a high horse over tipping amuse me. if you want to tip extra or have the means to tip regardless of service, fucking wonderful for you . don't stress people who actually EXPECT the server to earn their wages. i agree with the others who have said they tip based off of the level of service they receive. i have been known to be a very generous tipper for great service. ignore me and you can go fuck yourself. those bitches who think they deserve a tip because they took 10 minutes to bring me my drink and never check to see what i need after getting my food are getting nothing more than a goddamn size 11 foot up their fucking cunt asses.

katyon6th
11-30-2007, 02:40 AM
Our tab on alcohol alone was a little over $200 tonight; our waiter cut that almost in half and we tipped him well. BWW on De Zevala was fucking packed and our waiter was awesome. Good night.

Beno Udrih
11-30-2007, 02:49 AM
people who jump on a high horse over tipping amuse me. i agree with the others who have said they tip based off of the level of service they receive. i have been known to be a very generous tipper for great service. ignore me and you can go fuck yourself. those bitches who think they deserve a tip because they took 10 minutes to bring me my drink and never check to see what i need after getting my food are getting nothing more than a goddamn size 11 foot up their fucking cunt asses.
Agreed. Some people need to get off their :soapbox: . You'd think some one has been kicking puppies or selling crack with the way some have had their mini melt downs in this thread. IMO what people tip is their business. And if you're going in to the restaurant industry, you have to know the some times lousy tippers are a part of the territory. :lol Thats one of the reasons why I never even entertained the thought of working in it.

I for one though agree with those that say they tip based on service. When it's good I always over tip. When it's average i tip 15. And when it sucks, I don't tip period.

atxrocker
11-30-2007, 02:59 AM
one thing that has never been mentioned in this thread is the drug habits of lots of people in this industry. we've heard all the sobb stories of single mothers and poor innocent young ambitious females trying to pay their way through college (ala a stripper MO) but not one mention of the large drug issue with the service industry? now that i think about it, what the fuck? i have met plenty of people who waited in resturaunts who told me how soooo many people in their profession are huge drug users and are often times intoxicated during their shifts just to make it through. i know this does not apply to all, but how in the fuck has this fact not even been brought up yet? :dizzy am i supposed to support some crack whores poor habits?