PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska has a new Coach

SrA Husker
11-29-2007, 10:38 AM
LINCOLN — Make sure that you're sitting down for this one: Nebraska has a new head football coach.

It's Tom Osborne.

The 70-year-old interim athletic director appointed himself Wednesday as interim head coach.

Make no mistake, Osborne is not about to reappear on the sideline. His new title is only temporary. NU made the move, informing the Big 12 in a letter written by Compliance Director Gary Bargen, so Osborne would be able to recruit away from campus.

Osborne, who won 255 games and three national titles as NU coach from 1973 to 1997, passed the NCAA certification test — a series of multiple-choice and true-false questions — on his first attempt Wednesday.

Osborne plans to hit the road today and Friday.

NCAA rules stipulate that the head coach is allowed only one in-home visit to a potential recruit. But a provision allows the coach Osborne hires to visit any recruit whom Osborne visited as interim head coach.

In addition, Osborne could remain on staff, technically as an assistant, to visit recruits after the head coach is named.

Also buried at the bottom of the article, but extremely important...

In other news, defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove and cornerbacks coach Phil Elmassian are no longer recruiting for Nebraska, according to Associate A.D. for Communications Randy York. Osborne asked the NU assistants who wished to be considered for positions by the next head coach to help with recruiting after coach Bill Callahan was fired Saturday.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10196514

Thunder Dan
11-29-2007, 10:51 AM
70 year olds are awesome at building good football teams just ask Florida State and Penn State

Fabbs
11-29-2007, 11:34 AM
In other news, defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove and cornerbacks coach Phil Elmassian are no longer recruiting for Nebraska,
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10196514
Are these two let go due to the 40s 50s and 70 pt score run up on Big Red D?

SrA Husker
11-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Are these two let go due to the 40s 50s and 70 pt score run up on Big Red D?

Ya think? :lol

Thunder Dan
11-29-2007, 11:52 AM
When Nebraska was at it's best where were most of the players from? in state or out of state?

samikeyp
11-29-2007, 12:00 PM
A lot of them were from Nebraska.

Thunder Dan
11-29-2007, 12:08 PM
A lot of them were from Nebraska.

Osbourne should do well getting them then since he is legend there, but I don't think he has too much stature outside of Nebraska. I can tell you that if I were a bigtime recruit I would only be humbled to meet Pete Carroll, Tressel (b/c I live in Ohio) and mabye Urban Meyer. I know of JoePa, but I wouldn't be crazed to meet him because I don't really care for Penn State football. Know what I'm sayin

j-6
11-29-2007, 12:20 PM
70 year olds are awesome at building good football teams just ask Florida State and Penn State

Ol' Tom is ten years younger than Paterno and eight younger than Bowden.

Thunder Dan
11-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Ol' Tom is ten years younger than Paterno and eight younger than Bowden.
I was just being a dick. I know he is younger than JoePa...99% of the world is

rr2418
11-29-2007, 02:32 PM
I was never a Husker fan but did like seeing them run the option. Do you think NU will go back to that offense or at least look to have a run first offense?

Doug Collins
11-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Make Eric Crouch Interim coach it would give him something to do