PDA

View Full Version : Fibromyalgia Question

duncan228
11-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Does anyone here have this? Know someone that has it?

I'm looking for information and tips on dealing with it without drugs.
There are two drugs FDA approved for it, (Lyrica and Cymbalta), neither are without side effects that outweigh any benefit.

The stuff I'm finding on line is either people taking the drugs or just bitching about how miserable they are. Not what I'm looking for.

Can anyone help? Any ideas, tips, for making everyday activities easier with FM will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any information you can share.

You can PM me if you prefer.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Fibromyalgia - The New "virus" Big Pharma is cashing in on.

dougp
11-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Ex-GF had it ... I found her really annoying when it came to it, probably because I couldn't relate? I've always lived with foot pain, and just dealt with it. I guess FM was a bit more intense, but it really restricted what we could do and I didn't care about her enough to stick around. It wasn't the reason I broke up with her, but it contributed because we couldn't do anything other than sit around - even though I'm a gamer, I still like to get out!

duncan228
11-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Ex-GF had it ... I found her really annoying when it came to it, probably because I couldn't relate? I've always lived with foot pain, and just dealt with it. I guess FM was a bit more intense, but it really restricted what we could do and I didn't care about her enough to stick around. It wasn't the reason I broke up with her, but it contributed because we couldn't do anything other than sit around - even though I'm a gamer, I still like to get out!

There are ways to deal with chronic pain without drugs and without being miserable and inflicting it on anyone near you.
And without giving up and staying down because of it.

That's what I'm looking for. Things that have worked for people dealing with chronic pain that still want to have a life.

mrsmaalox
11-29-2007, 03:27 PM
D228 is this for you? I'm sorry if so. Anyway because of my background and experiences in the Medical Health Model I believe there is a pill for everything and if there isn't then just go in and cut it out!! So I am not real savvy with the alternative treatments. But I think a good place to start would be a search for schools of the specialty. I have a good friend who graduated from an Herbal Medicine school who has amazing results with all her patients. I'm not comfortable with chiropractic, but some do offer holistic alternatives. Have you considered accupuncture or macrobiotics? How about deep tissue massage? But for absolutely sure, whatever you go with will be enhanced by counseling and self-help therapies, like relaxation techniques or biofeedback. Let me know what you find!

easjer
11-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I knew someone who had it, but was unable to treat it, so no help there.

I might suggest trying a naturopath for some advice, and maybe look into whether or not things like massage, acupressure or acupuncture are of any help.

thispego
11-29-2007, 04:32 PM
see if you can find anything useful here

http://www.quackwatch.org/03HealthPromotion/fibromyalgia/index.html (http://)

and cant click on it... you'll have to cut & paste the link