PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Tips

Spurminator
11-29-2007, 06:12 PM
If you get a $14 hair cut at SportClips, SuperCuts, whatever... how much do you tip for good service?

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-29-2007, 06:13 PM
$5

thispego
11-29-2007, 06:15 PM
tip? i would suggest they charge less for haircuts and they might make more in gratuity.

Chris Perez
11-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Do you feel you have to tip the Dentist when he is done cleaning your teeth?

Then why must you tip someone for cutting your hair?

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-29-2007, 06:23 PM

Believe me, you're tipping him/her whether you know it or not.

CheapBastard
11-29-2007, 06:32 PM
I pay $5 for a haircut at the Flea market and tip a buck.

Shelly
11-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Some of my husband's patients have tried to tip him. He just applies it to their co-pay.

Richard Cranium
11-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Getting my dentist to accept a tip is like pulling teeth.

Jimcs50
11-29-2007, 06:45 PM
I never gets tips, but I do get baked goods, like cakes, pies, cookies, etc.

I tip $5 for my haircuts.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-29-2007, 06:48 PM

I find it just a bit ironic that people tip you with cookies and cakes.

Shelly
11-29-2007, 06:57 PM

He gets that too. He has this one patient who brings tons of crap for him and his assistant. Even a TV, which is in his waiting room.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-29-2007, 07:06 PM
I love clients dropping off food at the office. One client sent over a $100 steakhouse gift card this April just because. Bottles of wine are always nice too.

This week I've had three clients buy me lunch (which isn't really the norm, but I'll certainly accept it) so it's been a good week in terms of keeping the Chopper fueled.

PM5K
11-29-2007, 07:12 PM
I usually pay 12.00 for a hair cut, I tip between 3.00 and 5.00

If I paid more than that for a hair cut I'd probably tip less.

And I don't have a problem not tipping if necessary...

Magic_Johnson
11-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I pay 20 euros for my haircut
I tip 2 euros

monosylab1k
11-29-2007, 07:19 PM
If you get a $14 hair cut at SportClips, SuperCuts, whatever... how much do you tip for good service?
You got good service at SportClips? I went there once and I'm convinced I could have done a better job myself, with a hacksaw and a Flowbee.

SpursWoman
11-29-2007, 07:31 PM
My son's haircut costs $8.95 ... I usually tip $4 or $5.

Spurminator
11-29-2007, 07:33 PM
You got good service at SportClips? I went there once and I'm convinced I could have done a better job myself, with a hacksaw and a Flowbee.

Rarely, but I need a frame of reference.

SpursWoman
11-29-2007, 07:34 PM

And there's usually a $2 off coupon on the back of my HEB receipt ... so I tip damn near 100%!! :lol

Chris Perez
11-29-2007, 07:37 PM

that is 50%

So if the hair cut is 20.00 dollars you tip 10?

SpursWoman
11-29-2007, 07:40 PM
If it was $20 for a #2 buzz on 80% of his head I'd take him somewhere else. :lol

Sonia_TX
11-30-2007, 12:36 AM
I've always wondered how much you should tip. When I get my hair "did" it's $68 but I usually give her $80 total so it's a $12 tip. I wasn't sure if that was enough or too much.

Steve Irwin
11-30-2007, 12:44 AM
damn you guys tip a lot for a haircut

I pay $11 for a haircut and tip $1-2

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-30-2007, 01:01 AM
I pay $24 for a haircut at Roosters and tip $6-8.

But I always use the same person and if I ask her to do a little extra is when I'll go the high route (and before the inevitable comeback, I mean fixing up the facial hair, nose trim or eyebrows).

Ask for Carol (Bandera @ 1604), she does a fantastic job.

slayermin
11-30-2007, 01:25 AM
My haircuts are $8 and I tip $4.

Cry Havoc
11-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Getting my dentist to accept a tip is like pulling teeth.

Yes, but it does bridge the time nicely.

Beno Udrih
11-30-2007, 02:20 AM
My haircuts are $8 and I tip $4.
Damn same here. Haircut and tip.

Mister Sinister
11-30-2007, 02:37 AM
I can't get tips. I wish I could.

ATRAIN
11-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Speaking of Tips do you guys tip at Sonic?

j-6
11-30-2007, 09:13 AM

Usually a buck. If the carhop is wearing roller skates, then I tip more.

ATRAIN
11-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I have never worked at Sonic, but why do they deserve a tip, its not like they actually serve you and wait on you. If you tip at Sonic why not tip at any other fast food place. They do the same job except don't have to walk to your car.,

Extra Stout
11-30-2007, 09:39 AM

Are you going to a dentist that costs only $15?

sa_butta
11-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Where do you guys get your haircut??

Extra Stout
11-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Where do you guys get your haircut??
I go to Petco.

(I have a bit of a body hair issue.)

LuvBones
11-30-2007, 11:20 AM
I have never worked at Sonic, but why do they deserve a tip, its not like they actually serve you and wait on you. If you tip at Sonic why not tip at any other fast food place. They do the same job except don't have to walk to your car.,Yeah, the people at sonic are always trying to walk away with my change! If it's just coins I don't care but sometimes they want to take my dollars. What for walking 10 feet?? At whataburger they bring your food out to your table, and they don't expect a tip. :p:

florige
11-30-2007, 11:21 AM

But I always use the same person and if I ask her to do a little extra is when I'll go the high route (and before the inevitable comeback, I mean fixing up the facial hair, nose trim or eyebrows).

Roosters... :lol

LuvBones
11-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I used to get my haircut for $11 and I would tip $5 until I found out my sister would do it for free. :lol

Extra Stout
11-30-2007, 11:25 AM

Unibrow issues?

florige
11-30-2007, 11:25 AM
I have never worked at Sonic, but why do they deserve a tip, its not like they actually serve you and wait on you. If you tip at Sonic why not tip at any other fast food place. They do the same job except don't have to walk to your car.,

I know they don't get paid much, but I have never had anyone even look like they wanted to keep my change at a fast food place. Maybe it is different here in MD than in TX being as though at places like Mcdonalds and BK's here the service is always awful. Well at least in the city anyways...

ATRAIN
11-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah, the people at sonic are always trying to walk away with my change! If it's just coins I don't care but sometimes they want to take my dollars. What for walking 10 feet?? At whataburger they bring your food out to your table, and they don't expect a tip. :p:

My points exactly!!!!

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Unibrow issues?

Nah. Just keeping that area from the brow to the hairline clean (I'm too afraid of fucking that up).

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-30-2007, 11:42 AM
As I mentioned in another thread, I wonder how bad the introduction of credit/debit machines at the order kiosk screwed over Sonic's carhops.

I almost never have cash on me, but I usually give a buck if they're pleasant when they come by with the food.

And as far as ATrain's question, that's exactly why I give them change or a buck. They're going outside (unlike Whataburger) to deliver your food and plus, a good many of them are still on skates.

florige
11-30-2007, 11:47 AM
ANd come to think of it, I have seen commercials for Sonics, but have NEVER actually seen one here ANYWHERE.

Spurminator
11-30-2007, 11:52 AM
I can't remember the last time I saw a Sonic carhop on skates...

I used to let them keep the change, but now I just swipe and go. I don't think they're expecting tips at the Sonics I go to.

angel_luv
11-30-2007, 11:53 AM
http://www.realself.com/question/how-much-should-tip-hair-stylist

As a salon owner, this is a subject that frequently comes up with new clients. With close to 30 years in the business, I will do my best to share my perspective on this topic, from several points of view.

Tipping the stylist who’s a salon employee: Many salons employ hairdressers who are paid an hourly fee, or a percentage of their services. For these stylists, a cash tip of 10%-20% would be ideal, provided the salon doesn’t have a policy against this.

Tipping the stylist who’s a Booth Renter or Independant Contractor: With the advent of boutique salons over the last 15-20 years, many salon owners have chosen to go the route of renting out their chairs, or stations, to other hairdressers. This is a win-win for both the salon owner and the stylist.
Since the stylist is basically an independant entity, he or she usually is responsible for scheduling their own appointments, supplying their own styling products, haircolor, cutting tools etc. This stylist also has the ability to set their own hours, testing the waters of added responsibility, which may be beneficial if they have dreams of opening their own salon. Therefore, while this type of stylist keeps a larger piece of the pie, they also have higher expenses. As a booth renter for 15 years, I was always grateful for the additional gratuities, which ranged from 10%-20%.

Tipping the Salon Owner of Booth Renters: Tipping the salon owner in years past was always considered taboo, and sometimes even offensive. While this rule has relaxed greatly over recent years, most new clients at my salon will ask if I accept tips. I let them know that they’re welcome to if they’d like to, but that it’s not required.
Some of my clients tip, and some don’t, it’s a personal choice. While the salon owner of booth renters has more freedom from the responsibilities of managing and caring for employees, they also receive a much smaller piece of the pie. For my clients who do choose to tip, they generally tip in the range of 10%-20%.

Tipping the Salon Owner of Employees: While this is personally a grey area for myself, I would assume that most salon owners under the age of 40 would not be offended by tipping, however, to be on the safe side, feel comfortable to pose the question to either the salon receptionist or the owner him/herself.

Every time that you schedule your follow up appointment 4-6 weeks out, you’re voting with your hard earned dollars, and that in itself is a compliment to your stylist.
A gratuity is an added bonus for a job well done, and is never mandatory.

And for the client who spends hours driving to another town, or flying across country to see their stylist, extra kudos to you. Time is becoming more and more of a precious commodity for all of us, and that commitment speaks volume to your styilst and your choice in caring for yourself.

angel_luv
11-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Looks like for most situations the stylist I quoted recommends tipping between 10 and 20%

So those of you like Spurs Woman whom tip 50% are likely big favorites at your respective salons. :)

My stylist is awesome! I tip her at least 20% every time.
Also I recommend her like crazy, on the condition that she always saves an appointment for me. :)

angel_luv
11-30-2007, 11:59 AM

I am not the best tipper when it comes to Sonic.

I don't always tip, especially if my car is right outside the door.

If the server is friendly, I'll give them $0.25- $0.50 ( usually I am just there for a Cherry Limeade.)

ATRAIN
11-30-2007, 12:16 PM
I can't remember the last time I saw a Sonic carhop on skates...

I used to let them keep the change, but now I just swipe and go. I don't think they're expecting tips at the Sonics I go to.

Yeah same here

ATRAIN
11-30-2007, 12:16 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I wonder how bad the introduction of credit/debit machines at the order kiosk screwed over Sonic's carhops.

I almost never have cash on me, but I usually give a buck if they're pleasant when they come by with the food.

And as far as ATrain's question, that's exactly why I give them change or a buck. They're going outside (unlike Whataburger) to deliver your food and plus, a good many of them are still on skates.

Sometimes WB asks you to park then they walk to your car, why dont you tip them then?

SpursWoman
11-30-2007, 12:21 PM
So those of you like Spurs Woman whom tip 50% are likely big favorites at your respective salons. :)

I don't tip 50% where I get my hair done ... it costs a hell of a lot more than $6.95 ... that might require a second mortgage. :spin

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Sometimes WB asks you to park then they walk to your car, why dont you tip them then?

So do McDonald's, Church's, Bill Miller and other restaurants.

The difference is that you expect to get your food at a drive-thru window (which is the reason you went to a drive-thru window in the first place). Having to move and drive off without food is usually because the eatery is too busy or backed up, meaning it's technically an inconvenience to the driver.

Do you normally drive your car to the door at Sonic and they hand it to you out the window? (Also, I'm not talking the drive-thrus at newer Sonics).

ATRAIN
11-30-2007, 12:24 PM
So do McDonald's, Church's, Bill Miller and other restaurants.

The difference is that you expect to get your food at a drive-thru window (which is the reason you went to a drive-thru window in the first place). Having to move and drive off without food is usually because the eatery is too busy or backed up, meaning it's technically an inconvenience to the driver.

Do you normally drive your car to the door at Sonic and they [i]hand[/] it to you out the window? (Also, I'm not talking the drive-thrus at newer Sonics).

Ok but they walk like 5 feet to do what anyone else does at a different fast food place.

angel_luv
11-30-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't tip 50% where I get my hair done ... it costs a hell of a lot more than $6.95 ... that might require a second mortgage. :spin

:lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Ok but they walk like 5 feet to do what anyone else does at a different fast food place.

Which is probably the reason why we're not discussing giving them a $5 tip.

Do as you please, I'm not saying anybody else has to, I'm only explaining my personal philosophy as to the difference between carhops and the guy that sticks his hand out a window.

And that's exactly it, they walk to do what somebody else does differently. I'm sure they're paid standard minimum wage (unlike waiters and such), but I do what I do.

ATRAIN
11-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Which is probably the reason why we're not discussing giving them a $5 tip.

Do as you please, I'm not saying anybody else has to, I'm only explaining my personal philosophy as to the difference between carhops and the guy that sticks his hand out a window.

And that's exactly it, they walk to do what somebody else does differently. I'm sure they're paid standard minimum wage (unlike waiters and such), but I do what I do.

word

LuvBones
11-30-2007, 01:27 PM
no Adrian it goes like this..
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb78/gogino20/8710cb25b0d7186d9f36c3c04dd87c6d.jpg

ATRAIN
11-30-2007, 01:29 PM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb78/gogino20/8710cb25b0d7186d9f36c3c04dd87c6d.jpg

LOL ok D, thank you!!

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-30-2007, 01:32 PM

Is that the singer from Jamiroquai?

LuvBones
11-30-2007, 01:35 PM
:lol JB!

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-30-2007, 02:36 PM
:lol JB!

I do believe so.

http://www.chartattack.com/pics/2001/11/f-jamiroquai2.jpg

Shelly
11-30-2007, 02:55 PM
FYI...unless the hairdresser rents their station from the salon, they usually work on a 60-40% commission. The salon gets the 60%. At least that's how it was was when I was doing hair in the late '80s.

So if you're just starting out and not that busy, you don't make chit doing hair.