PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Assign Washington to Austin Toros

phyzik
11-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Spurs Assign Washington to Austin Toros

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/washington_071129

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have assigned guard Darius Washington to the Austin Toros of the NBA Development League (D-League).
The 6-2, 195-pound Washington has appeared in 15 games for the Spurs, averaging 2.8 points and 1.10 rebounds in 7.5 minutes per contest. He finished with a season-high 11 points on 4-of-6 shooting vs. Milwaukee on Nov. 11.

The University of Memphis product was signed by San Antonio as a free agent on October 1.

Washington is the second player - Ian Mahinmi was assigned on 11/21 - the Spurs have assigned to the Toros since Spurs Sports & Entertainment purchased the Austin franchise on June 28, 2007.

timvp
11-29-2007, 06:44 PM
I guess Horry is healthy and ready to play. :smokin

Good luck in Austin, DWash. Hopefully he's able to put up some nice numbers in the D-League.

C Mahinmi
PF Pittsnogle
SF Bowen2
SG Langford
PG Washington

Nice lineup.

Darkwaters
11-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Good. I'm glad he got sent down. He needs some on court time to get in the groove of running a team again. With this team he'll have enough quality players around him to let him develop his playmaking ability, but also will give him the ability to refine his personal scoring skills.

2centsworth
11-29-2007, 06:58 PM
they should have sent Vaughn down.

dwashfan
11-29-2007, 07:00 PM
I am in disbelief that the Spurs would send Darius to the Toros. Darius was doing better when he was able to play 12 + minutes per game than Vaughn is doing now with those minutes. Darius is young and is only going to get better with time. Vaughn is past his prime and is lucky to just maintain what little talent he does have. Sorry but the stats speak for themselves. :madrun

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-29-2007, 07:07 PM
:tu
He gon' tear it up! :smokin

phyzik
11-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Im glad, it give him lots of playing time and if Vaugh is still sucking it up come all-star break we can always call him back up.

Bruno
11-29-2007, 07:14 PM
When I see what stats CJ Watson, Ramon Sessions or Gabe Pruitt put in D-League, I wait to see a dominant Washington in Austin.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-29-2007, 07:15 PM

seriously.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Austin appears to have a pretty good roster now. Unfortunately they won't be in my neck of the woods until mid-March.

AnotherArgie
11-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Why is some people happy? The guy is good enough to play in the Spurs right now. :madrun

ChumpDumper
11-29-2007, 07:41 PM
We're happy because the extensive playing and practice time will benefit Washington greatly later on in the season by accelerating his acclimation to and growth in the Spurs system.

He'll play 30-35 minutes in each of th next two days, then have a solid week of practice before another 30-35 mpg in a four game week.

And he can be called back at any time if needed.

These are good things.

easjer
11-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Why is some people happy? The guy is good enough to play in the Spurs right now. :madrun

Is there something to be unhappy about?

Kid is raw. He brings a lot of energy and desire, but he needs work on playmaking, court vision, and his shot. He is not going to get that sitting on the end of the bench and playing every few games in garbage time.

Going down to a loaded Toros team means that he gets regular practice and regular playing time to develop. That is a good thing. He'll be back. It's not like he got cut - this was always the plan. How this could be surprising to anyone is beyond me.

bdictjames
11-29-2007, 08:42 PM
He is another version of James White - Spurs gonna cut him next year anyway.

How has Marcus Williams been doing?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Agreed.

Southern
11-29-2007, 09:07 PM
I think that D.W Jr. better that J.V. I don`t know why Popovich loves J.V.

wildbill2u
11-29-2007, 09:31 PM
I think that D.W Jr. better that J.V. I don`t know why Popovich loves J.V.
One word. Veteran

Darkwaters
11-29-2007, 09:56 PM
How has Marcus Williams been doing?

Hes hurt and currently waived. He hasn't been doing anything.

Light Grenades
11-29-2007, 10:01 PM
the kid can only get better with more playing time...

gilmor
11-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Spurs shd have sent Beno to Toros last year to develop his ass..

Then again.. I dont really care.. :)

loveforthegame
11-29-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm happy that he'll get the playing time that he needs but it pisses me off that Vaughn will be getting the minutes that DW should be getting.

Darkwaters
11-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Spurs shd have sent Beno to Toros last year to develop his ass..

Then again.. I dont really care.. :)

He wasn't elligible anyways. You can only go down your first two seasons in the NBA.

exstatic
11-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Even Vaughn's minutes wouldn't benefit DWash. Better he goes down, and plays 35 minutes at Austin, yet using the Spurs system. :)

Darkwaters
11-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Even Vaughn's minutes wouldn't benefit DWash. Better he goes down, and plays 35 minutes at Austin, yet using the Spurs system. :)

I agree. If this was the Austin of last year where they ran whatever system they liked and had the interest of a multitude of teams at heart, I wouldn't be so high on the prospect of sending Darius down. But with the Spurs ownership, the platoon of new coaches, the shift in system and the watchful eye of the silver and black fixated to the north, I feel confident that his time will be well spent.

Capt Bringdown
11-29-2007, 11:05 PM
Despite our stellar record, I think we desperately need some youthful energy on this team. I would think that being around Parker, Vaughn, and the rest of the vets would be a better growth environment than playing in a scrub league.

Developing DWash in real NBA games might mean more losses in the short term, but it seems like a better gamble than going with Vaughn.

Didn't Pop learn anything from the NVE fiasco?

Darkwaters
11-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Didn't Pop learn anything from the NVE fiasco?

Yea, we didn't sign a chucker as our third PG.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Uh, the Spurs won a title with Vaughn as a backup. What did you learn from that?

Cant_Be_Faded
11-29-2007, 11:13 PM
That sound.....That sound you hear in the distance.....ChumpDumper's chode just exploded.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2007, 11:14 PM
What is the sound of smugness?

Capt Bringdown
11-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Uh, the Spurs won a title with Vaughn as a backup. What did you learn from that?

I don't think Vaughn's got much left, and in my opinion developing DWash with the Spurs would be a better option and would make the team more competitive in the long run.

Darkwaters
11-29-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't think Vaughn's got much left, and in my opinion developing DWash with the Spurs would be a better option and would make the team more competitive in the long run.

I definitely think they're looking to develop DWash. Being sent to the Toros is not the "demotion" I think you attribute it. Remember, they bought the Toros for a reason. I think that reason is named Mahinmi, Washington, Splitter, and maybe even Sanikidze.

The Truth #6
11-29-2007, 11:41 PM
If Horry suits up then this issue might be more about him than Darius getting demoted. I don't know anyone who thinks Darius should be on the team instead of Horry.

exstatic
11-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Except that he will develop very slowly, if at all, in Vaughn's 10 minutes. He will play in Austin, and play a lot of minutes. It's not like he's banished for the year, either. He can go up and down 3 times, if necessary.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2007, 11:50 PM
I don't think Vaughn's got much left, and in my opinion developing DWash with the Spurs would be a better option and would make the team more competitive in the long run.I disagree.

And so do the Spurs.

I don't know why anyone thinks this is permanent and irreversible.

SouthernFried
11-30-2007, 01:45 AM
I would have liked to see DW play more here. Nothing against Vaughn, like him too. Glad we got the option of bringing him back when/if needed. Does he make same salary?

Still, I don't think he needs more playing time with the Toros. I think he'd benefit more playing with the Spurs, even if it's less playing time. Different people/environment totally.

But, he's there/here should we need him. I like that.

ChumpDumper
11-30-2007, 01:50 AM
Horry's coming back; if Darius doesn't go to play 35 minutes for the Toros he plays 0 minutes for the Spurs modeling suits behind the bench.

Which is better? And please, let's not pretend any of the vets need to go to the IR.

mattyc
11-30-2007, 01:59 AM
Good move. Boost his confidence, get his minutes up and let him be a leader on that team. Exactly why we are aligned with the Toros.

Spurs16212
11-30-2007, 02:11 AM
If the Spurs roster is now at 12.... Could there be anything on the horizon of someone coming to the Spurs in the near future?

ChumpDumper
11-30-2007, 02:15 AM
The Spurs roster is still 14; Ian and Darius still count.

Unless there is a trade, I wouldn't look for the Spurs to pick up anyone before they are able to sign 10-day contracts.

T Park
11-30-2007, 02:41 AM
I love the internet posters with krispy kreme glaze flakes flying on the screen thinking they know more than spurs management.

BeerIsGood!
11-30-2007, 02:46 AM
I love the internet posters with krispy kreme glaze flakes flying on the screen thinking they know more than spurs management.

:wow

ChumpDumper
11-30-2007, 02:53 AM
:lol If Darius is as good as some here have advertised, he'll dominate the D-League so thoroughly he'll be back in San Antonio next week.

Walter Craparita
11-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Just have him back by the playoffs.

It's time to fucking REPEAT.

Demo Dick Marcinko
11-30-2007, 06:56 AM

I call BS on that claim!!

They're Shipley's Donuts. :lol

dwashfan
11-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Anyone know if I can catch the Toros games on TV, radio or on the internet? I am in Florida.

Thanks!

ChumpDumper
11-30-2007, 11:17 AM
During the games, there is sometimes a webcast of the radio call on the D-League site. There are always live stats. Occasionally they are on NBAtv, but that schedule isn't known until the week of the broadcast.

SAGambler
11-30-2007, 11:18 AM
I am in disbelief that the Spurs would send Darius to the Toros. Darius was doing better when he was able to play 12 + minutes per game than Vaughn is doing now with those minutes. Darius is young and is only going to get better with time. Vaughn is past his prime and is lucky to just maintain what little talent he does have. Sorry but the stats speak for themselves. :madrun

Wholeheartedly agree. I was so hoping that soon Washington would break out as TPs backup and Vaughn would sit and maybe help coach a bit from the sidelines.

ceds
11-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Wtf are you guys talking about...

10 NBA mins as a back up pg >>>>> then 40 mins of D league
Capt brings up a good point..Playing Washington nba minutes now could potentially pay big dividends in the future.

The being said i understand why Pop has gone with Vaughn. Its hard to take a 20yr old pg come playoff time instead of the 10+ year vet who plays D and knows the offense. Its a safer choice .. i would have liked to see DW play for half the season before dropping him to D league

Ignignokt
11-30-2007, 12:44 PM
pot...kettle..

except in T Park's case, it's flakes from:

Baklava BBQ Chicken BBQ Ribs Biscotti
Bloomin' Onions Boiled Peanuts Bottled Water Brownies
Bulk Candy Burgers Candy Apples Candy Bars
Cappuchino Caramel Corn Cheese Bread Cheese on a Stick
Chicken on a Stick Chicken on Pita Chicken Nuggets Chicken Sandwich
Chicken Tenders Chicken Wings Chili Chili Dogs
Chips Chocolate Eclairs Cinnamon Rolls Coffee

Corn Dogs
Corn on the Cob Cotton Candy Dippin Dots®
Elephant Ears Egg Rolls Fish Sandwiches Fiske® Fries
French Fries Fried Candy Bars Fried Dough Fried Mushrooms
Fried Sweet Potatos Frozen Bananas Fruit Punch Funnel Cakes
Giant® Corn Dogs Greek Gyros Greek Salad Gyros - Chicken
Hot Dogs Ice Cream Banana Splits Ice Cream Cones Ice Cream Floats
Ice Cream Milk Shakes Ice Cream Soft Serve Ice Cream Sundaes Icee®
Italian Roast Beef Italian Sausage Italian Steak Lemonade
London Broil Meatball Sandwiches Mini Donuts Mini Cheeseburgers
Mini Corn Dogs Mini Hamburgers Nachos Pasta
Pastries Peanuts Pecan Rolls Pepsi®
Pizza Polish Sausage Popcorn Pretzels
Pronto Pups™ Rice Teriyaki Roasted Corn Roasted Peanuts
Salads Shiskabob (chicken) Shiskabob (pork) Slaw
Snow Cones Sports Drinks Steak on Pita Strawberry Shortcake
Sub Sandwiches Tempura Turkey Legs

and funnel cakes flying at the screen

:lmao :lmao

Darkwaters
11-30-2007, 04:15 PM
:lol If Darius is as good as some here have advertised, he'll dominate the D-League so thoroughly he'll be back in San Antonio next week.

He did a pretty good job today.

32 pts, 12 rebounds, 5 assts in 32 min

bdictjames
11-30-2007, 05:24 PM
He did a pretty good job today.

32 pts, 12 rebounds, 5 assts in 32 min
Best statline for any player with 32 minutes in the history of the D-League.

Best D-League debut ever?

Washington could be a legend.

migs21
11-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Washington Leads Toros Over Skyforce

AUSTIN, TX – Darius Washington scored 32 points in his first game after being assigned to the Austin Toros and helped the team defeat the Sioux Falls Skyforce 114-109 on Friday afternoon at the Austin Convention Center. Austin rallied from as many as 16 points down in the third quarter to win their second game of the season and improve their record to 2-1.

Washington, a 6-2, 195 pound guard on assignment from the San Antonio Spurs, scored all but four of his 32 points in the second half. The Toros took the lead for the first time in the second half on a pair of free throws by newly acquired forward Marcus Williams with 3:42 left to play in the game.

“Darius really ignited us in the second half, I thought we just played a lot harder and had a lot of pride on the defensive end,” Toros head coach Quin Snyder said. “It’s hard for the whole team when we are trying to re-acclimate to new players and adjust roles.”

Beginning the second half with a 62-50 advantage, the Skyforce looked to be in control of the game after Nik Caner-Medley’s lay-up pushed the lead to 16 points. The Toros would end the quarter on a 34-19 run and Justin Bowen’s 3-point basket to end the quarter cut the Sioux Falls advantage to 87-86 going to the last quarter of play.

Along with being assigned Spurs guard Darius Washington, the Toros made several other roster moves before the game including acquiring forward Marcus Williams and forward DerMarr Johnson.

“I thought they both got more comfortable as the game when on - Marcus made some big plays in the second half and DerMarr made some shots early that kept us close,” Snyder said. “Our bench was great and were able to play and make a difference without getting big minutes.”

The Skyforce were led in scoring by Nic Caner-Medley, who finished with 22 points and 11 rebounds. Antywane Robinson added 21 points and 10 rebounds and Damone Brown contributed 20 points for Sioux Falls, who fell to 0-2 on the season.

Other Toros in double figures included Keith Langford (19) and Kenton Paulino (11). The Toros play the second game of their weekend back-to-back when they face the Colorado 14ers tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m. at the Austin Convention Center.

Mr. Body
11-30-2007, 11:02 PM
32-4=28

in one half.

I predict D-Wash scores 56 points in all of the next game.

Al Sharpton
11-30-2007, 11:42 PM

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1850658&postcount=655

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1850748&postcount=703

hypocrite much?

Capt Bringdown
12-01-2007, 04:27 AM
Any chance we could send Finley to the Toros?

Darkwaters
12-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Any chance we could send Finley to the Toros?

:soapbox: