PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson agrees to extension with L.A.

duncan228
11-29-2007, 08:26 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/11/29/bc.bkn.lakers.jackson.ap/index.html

Jackson agrees to extension with L.A.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Lakers coach Phil Jackson has agreed to terms of a two-year contract extension worth about $24 million, putting him under contract through the 2009-10 season.

A person with knowledge of the situation, speaking on condition of anonymity because the Lakers hadn't made an announcement, confirmed the agreement.

Lakers spokesman John Black said Jackson will discuss his contract situation before Los Angeles hosts the Denver Nuggets on Thursday night.

Jackson's decision to return was first reported by the Los Angeles Times on its Web site.

The 62-year-old Jackson signed a five-year, $30 million contract with the Lakers in June 1999, and coached them to three championships before they lost to San Antonio in the Western Conference semifinals in 2003 and were beaten by Detroit in the NBA finals in 2004.

Jackson and the team parted ways in June 2004, and he took a year off before signing a three-year, $30 million contract -- the richest deal for an NBA coach -- on June 14, 2005.

Rudy Tomjanovich had signed a five-year deal with the Lakers after Jackson left, but stepped down after a half-season on the job.

Jackson put off his decision to return twice before meeting with Lakers owner Jerry Buss this week. Jackson said in training camp he would decide before the start of the season, then said earlier this month he would do so before Thanksgiving.

He had expressed uncertainty because he's undergone two hip replacement operations since October 2006 -- the second one last June. He used a cane throughout the preseason.

Jackson and former Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach each have earned nine championship rings as a head coach. Jackson guided the Michael Jordan-led Chicago Bulls to six titles in the 1990s before taking a year off from coaching and then joining the Lakers before the 1999-2000 season.

Jackson took a 927-399 record as a head coach into Thursday night's game.

slayermin
11-30-2007, 01:43 AM
Hellz YEAH!!!

Yeah, he needs to lose a few more playoff series before he retires.

Purple & Gold
11-30-2007, 01:59 AM
Yeah, he needs to lose a few more playoff series before he retires.

9 > 4

slayermin
11-30-2007, 02:11 AM
9 > 4

I was just pointing out the obvious. Are you contending that he isn't going to lose anymore playoff series?

Purple & Gold
11-30-2007, 02:14 AM
I was just pointing out the obvious. Our you contending that he isn't going to lose anymore playoff series?

He'll get 10

slayermin
11-30-2007, 02:23 AM
He'll get 10

When is this going to happen?

BeerIsGood!
11-30-2007, 02:28 AM
9 > 4

Nice to include the ones he had with the Bulls.

Waste of money. That team will be a 7 or 8 seed and immediately dispatched in the 1st round (unless they luck out and get the Mavs at their pussiest) for the foreseeable future.

Purple & Gold
11-30-2007, 02:32 AM
Nice to include the ones he had with the Bulls.

Waste of money. That team will be a 7 or 8 seed and immediately dispatched in the 1st round (unless they luck out and get the Mavs at their pussiest) for the foreseeable future.

Oh my bad 14 > 4

Wait till Bynum blows da fuck up!! :elephant :elephant :downspin: :downspin: :king

BeerIsGood!
11-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Oh my bad 14 > 4

Wait till Bynum blows da fuck up!! :elephant :elephant :downspin: :downspin: :king

Yes, I already accounted for that. Bynum blowing da fuck up is the difference between the Lakers being an 8th seed getting smacked down in the 1st round or a 7th seed getting smacked down in the 1st round.

Purple & Gold
11-30-2007, 03:01 AM
Yes, I already accounted for that. Bynum blowing da fuck up is the difference between the Lakers being an 8th seed getting smacked down in the 1st round or a 7th seed getting smacked down in the 1st round.

Bynum blowing da fuck up = Rings :blah :blah :spin :spin :elephant :elephant

BeerIsGood!
11-30-2007, 03:19 AM
Bynum blowing da fuck up = Rings :blah :blah :spin :spin :elephant :elephant

Not unless he gets traded to the LA Sparks

Purple & Gold
11-30-2007, 03:25 AM
Not unless he gets traded to the LA Sparks

:dramaquee

1Parker1
11-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Ehh, I really don't see what's in it for him. I don't think they can win a championship in 2 years, especially with the West just getting better when Oden comes back and teams like Utah, New Orleans, etc just getting better and better.

Medvedenko
11-30-2007, 12:13 PM
12 million is a pretty good reason...and I know he wants to work in the FO after he's done....who knows....maybe Kobe will stay, Bynum improves again and we trade Odom and Kwame for a proven all-star who's unhappy....could be good times again....

Spurminator
11-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Good, he'll be around long enough for Pop to pass him in all-time winning %.

BeerIsGood!
11-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Ehh, I really don't see what's in it for him. I don't think they can win a championship in 2 years, especially with the West just getting better when Oden comes back and teams like Utah, New Orleans, etc just getting better and better.

There's a lot of reason for him to be there, namely money, money, and more money.

What I don't really get is the reasoning for the Lakers paying that kind of dough for the zen master to coach Kobe and the clowns. I guess when you charge what those guys charge for season tickets you better have a big name coach and a star player no matter what.

1Parker1
11-30-2007, 04:30 PM
^He's been a head coach for how many years now? And he has 9 rings on top of that so he's been a well paid coach throughout his tenure. I doubt he needs the extra $$$.

BeerIsGood!
12-01-2007, 02:38 AM
^He's been a head coach for how many years now? And he has 9 rings on top of that so he's been a well paid coach throughout his tenure. I doubt he needs the extra $$$.

He doesn't need it, but he wants it. And he wants it bad enough to coach this bunch of losers if it's to the tune of 12 mil per. You think he coaches this team and puts up with the losing and bullshit from Kobe for 1 mil a season? You're fucking crazy if you think it's not about the money at this point.

Money. The more you have, the more you want.

BeerIsGood!
12-01-2007, 02:38 AM
Unless you're superhuman like Tim Duncan.