PDA

View Full Version : God or Darwin?

Nbadan
12-27-2004, 05:13 AM
Sunday, December 26, 2004; Page A01

DOVER, Pa. -- "God or Darwin?"

Lark Myers, a blond, 45-year-old gift shop owner, frames the question and answers it. "I definitely would prefer to believe that God created me than that I'm 50th cousin to a silverback ape," she said. "What's wrong with wanting our children to hear about all the holes in the theory of evolution?"

Charles Darwin, squeeze over. The school board in this small town in central Pennsylvania has voted to make the theory of evolution share a seat with another theory: God probably designed us.

If it survives a legal test, this school district of about 2,800 students could become the first in the nation to require that high school science teachers at least mention the "intelligent design" theory. This theory holds that human biology and evolution is so complex as to require the creative hand of an intelligent force.

(snip)

Board members have been less guarded, and their comments go well beyond intelligent design theory. William Buckingham, the board's curriculum chairman, explained at a meeting last June that Jesus died on the cross and "someone has to take a stand" for him. Other board members say they believe that God created Earth and mankind sometime in the past ten thousand years or so.

more…

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25961-2004Dec25.html)

"The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation.

During the minute that it takes to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive, many others are running for their lives, whimpering with fear, others are slowly being devoured from within by rasping parasites, thousands of all kinds are dying of starvation, thirst, and disease.

It must be so. If there ever is a time of plenty, this very fact will automatically lead to an increase in the population until the natural state of starvation and misery is restored.

In a universe of electrons and selfish genes, blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice.

The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference." -- Richard Dawkins, "God's Utility Function," published in Scientific American (November, 1995), p. 85

Intelligent Design or Evolution? What say you?

Hook Dem
12-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Quit thinking so much Dan and enjoy life before it passes you by. Take a vallium.

JoeChalupa
12-27-2004, 03:29 PM
Some of those people in PA have too much time on their hands.

scott
12-27-2004, 06:01 PM
I recommend the recent National Geographic article (Cover story of the November 2004 issue) titled: "Was Darwin Wrong?"

PS: The subtitle is "No, the evidence for Evolution is overwhelming."

Matrix
12-27-2004, 06:13 PM
I recommend the recent National Geographic article (Cover story of the November 2004 issue) titled: "Was Darwin Wrong?"

PS: The subtitle is "No, the evidence for Evolution is overwhelming."

Do you happen to have a link for that article, I wouldn't mind reading it.

2pac
12-27-2004, 11:32 PM
Evolution and Creation are not mutually exclusive.

Nbadan
12-28-2004, 03:05 AM
Do you happen to have a link for that article, I wouldn't mind reading it.

Here is a online excerpt to the article Scott mentioned...Was Darwin Wrong? (http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0411/feature1/)

Hook Dem
12-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Butter! Parkay! Butter! Parkay! :rolleyes