PDA

View Full Version : Councilwoman: Hwy. 281 Commuters Can Afford Toll Roads

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-30-2007, 02:28 PM
http://www.ksat.com/politics/14738279/detail.html

Councilwoman: Hwy. 281 Commuters Can Afford Toll Roads

POSTED: 1:02 pm CST November 30, 2007
UPDATED: 1:17 pm CST November 30, 2007

SAN ANTONIO -- A group opposed to toll roads recently posted a video clip on the Internet that shows District 2 City Councilwoman Sheila McNeil telling East Side constituents that building toll roads on the city's North Side is OK because residents in that part of the city can afford it.

According to Terri Hall, founder of San Antonio Toll Party and Texans United For Reform and Freedom, McNeil made the comments during a meeting Wednesday with members of the United Homeowners Improvement Association.

"Now, when they start talking about coming out here on 35, then we can talk," McNeil said. "But right now, the decisions we're making next week in 281, and the folks who live and drive out there, and those people can afford a toll road, because the income out there is probably around $200,000 to $300,000 a year."

McNeil is also chairwoman of the Metropolitan Planning Organization, which is scheduled to vote on toll road fares Monday night for Highway 281.

According to Hall, McNeil also told her constituents to take the access roads if they can't afford toll roads.

Hall said that McNeil was skewing the annual income figures because according to hall, demographic information on the City of San Antonio's Web site shows that the per capita income for a District 9 resident is $31,000.

"It's horrible to pit one part of the community against the other," Hall said in a news release. "We need to be doing what's in the best interest of the entire community."

"It's a sad day when a black elected official in essence slaps the 'colored' sign on our freeways and stereotypes people based on income because of the side of town they live in," said Tommy Calvert Jr., president of Calvert International Consulting.

McNeil wasn't immediately available for comment.

Extra Stout
11-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Make them honkies pay!

JoeChalupa
11-30-2007, 02:40 PM
:lmao

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Extra Stout: Brevity Be Thy Name.

:lol

Extra Stout
11-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Toll whitey!

degenerate_gambler
11-30-2007, 03:04 PM
http://satollparty.com/post/

Buddy Holly
11-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Terri Hall is the biggest fraud in that article, she's a former Californian who moved here in 2005, is a house wife with no job who home schools her children and lives in Bulverde. Yet she's the leader and face of the party that is against toll roads? Someone really needs to expose her in the media.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Terri Hall is the biggest fraud in that article, she's a former Californian who moved here in 2005, is a house wife with no job who home schools her children and lives in Bulverde. Yet she's the leader and face of the party that is against toll roads? Someone really needs to expose her in the media.

I've got no dog in the fight, but she pretty much says that in her bio.

http://satollparty.com/bios.php

braeden0613
11-30-2007, 03:45 PM
"Now, when they start talking about coming out here on 35, then we can talk," McNeil said. "But right now, the decisions we're making next week in 281, and the folks who live and drive out there, and those people can afford a toll road, because the income out there is probably around $200,000 to $300,000 a year."

And people wonder why the east side is looked down upon.

mrsmaalox
11-30-2007, 03:57 PM
.....is a house wife with no job .....

What does that have to do with ANYTHING? (Sorry but I get a little sensitive when anyone claims a housewife does not have a job) Besides that why else is she a fraud? Has she made fraudulent claims about her qualifications? I'm just curious because I don't know anything about her and I am part of the community being referred to.

degenerate_gambler
11-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Terri Hall is the biggest fraud in that article, she's a former Californian who moved here in 2005, is a house wife with no job who home schools her children and lives in Bulverde.

what the hell is wrong with being a stay-at-home mom? she's willing to take a stand...it's more than i can say for alot of other people.

mrsmaalox
11-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Now is this Terry Hall the one who came here from San Diego to be the city manager, made all sorts of ridiculous relocation package demands, procured a lucrative "consulting" job for her husband and then quit the city manager job?

degenerate_gambler
11-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Now is this Terry Hall the one who came here from San Diego to be the city manager, made all sorts of ridiculous relocation package demands, procured a lucrative "consulting" job for her husband and then quit the city manager job?

Your thinking of Teri Brechtel (sp) that came from Phx.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-30-2007, 04:39 PM
It was Sheryl Sculley that came from Phoenix. She's the one with the large compensation package.

Terry Brechtel was the former City Manager.

degenerate_gambler
11-30-2007, 04:40 PM
It was Sherly Sculley that came from Phoenix. She's the one with the large compensation package.

you're right...thx jb

johnsmith
11-30-2007, 05:28 PM
what the hell is wrong with being a stay-at-home mom? she's willing to take a stand...it's more than i can say for alot of other people.

Ok, then who is she taking a stand for?

Last I checked it sounds like most people living in the area (of which she does not) want this thing fucking done. Have you driven their lately?

Oh by the way, if the ass clowns wouldn't have gotten the job shut down two years ago.............IT WOULD BE DONE..........guess what else, there still wouldn't be tolls either because that can't start until 1604 is done as well, which will be years and years.

So good call folks.

JoeChalupa
11-30-2007, 05:33 PM
The traffic in that area is nuts. I'm glad I don't have to drive through any of that congestion. Let the voters decide.

Buddy Holly
11-30-2007, 05:35 PM
I've got no dog in the fight, but she pretty much says that in her bio.

http://satollparty.com/bios.php

How many people actually visit that site or even better, click on the bios? I'm talking about getting that out there on the news and in the paper.

Buddy Holly
11-30-2007, 05:37 PM
What does that have to do with ANYTHING? (Sorry but I get a little sensitive when anyone claims a housewife does not have a job) Besides that why else is she a fraud? Has she made fraudulent claims about her qualifications? I'm just curious because I don't know anything about her and I am part of the community being referred to.

The fact that she doesn't commute on 281 on a daily basis is really funny when you are the face of an anti toll party.

11-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Ok, then who is she taking a stand for?

Last I checked it sounds like most people living in the area (of which she does not) want this thing fucking done. Have you driven their lately?

Oh by the way, if the ass clowns wouldn't have gotten the job shut down two years ago.............IT WOULD BE DONE..........guess what else, there still wouldn't be tolls either because that can't start until 1604 is done as well, which will be years and years.

So good call folks.

If she's actually from Bulverde, then I'd say she probably uses 281 quite a bit.

Does the toll party bunch have any alternatives, or do they only rail against the toll roads?

Buddy Holly
11-30-2007, 05:38 PM

Where did I insult or even comment on "stay-at-home" moms? I never said anything nor implied it. Its a fraud that a woman who probably uses 281 once a week would be the face and mouthpiece for a anti-toll road group.

Buddy Holly
11-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Your thinking of Teri Brechtel (sp) that came from Phx.

As pointed out before, it was Sheryl Sculley who was the former Phoenix Assistant City Manager who is now San Antonio's City Manager.

degenerate_gambler
11-30-2007, 05:43 PM
The traffic in that area is nuts. I'm glad I don't have to drive through any of that congestion. Let the voters decide.

There's the rub....the voters aren't deciding. It's being decided for them or us, as it were.

T Park
11-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Double taxation.

FEEL THE RUSH!!!!

Twisted_Dawg
11-30-2007, 06:57 PM
It was Sheryl Sculley that came from Phoenix. She's the one with the large compensation package.

Didn't Terry Brechtel take a whore lobby job for the forces that want to build the toll road?

If all the gas tax money was used to build and maintain roads, we would not need toll taxes. Road building would be everywhere.

But our good federal governament uses most of the gas tax to fund its wasteful spending.

So this issue is quite simple: the government just wants more of your hard earned money through taxes to fund its wasteful ways.

T Park
11-30-2007, 07:01 PM
If all the gas tax money was used to build and maintain roads, we would not need toll taxes. Road building would be everywhere.

But our good federal governament uses most of the gas tax to fund its wasteful spending.

So this issue is quite simple: the government just wants more of your hard earned money through taxes to fund its wasteful ways.

shhh

don't use facts.

BTW, good thing a white person didn't say something about the east side, or else al sharpton would've been over here on an a plane already.

T Park
11-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Does the toll party bunch have any alternatives, or do they only rail against the toll roads?

how about build the roads using hte money from the gas tax instead of appropriating it to different areas

nahhhhh

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-30-2007, 07:17 PM

Tolls aren't taxes though. Generally toll roads are constructed by private companies who, in return for building the road, get to rip off the people who use it.

I hate toll roads, but this is not a "money-grubbing government" issue. It's more like a "government not taking responsibility for infrastructure spending" issue, and the public gets ripped off as a result.

scott
11-30-2007, 08:05 PM
At least this article carefully demonstrates there are complete morons on both sides of the argument (Hall and McNeil is a cage match of stupidity!).

scott
11-30-2007, 08:09 PM
shhh

don't use facts.

Ironic considering how many times you've been told and re-told the facts of tolls, T Park, yet you still continue to spout off the same nonsense about them.

shhh

don't use brain.

scott
11-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Here's all the facts you need about the Toll Road situation, completely debunking Terri Hall's nonsense.

http://home.att.net/~texhwyman/editorials.htm

My level of confidence that T Park ignores and posts another "double taxation" reply within the next 2 weeks: 99.99999%

mrsmaalox
11-30-2007, 08:17 PM

Thanx for the clarification!

mookie2001
11-30-2007, 08:32 PM
I want to know why the texas department of transportation has spent 10 MILLION tax payer dollars on advertising and tollroad promotion

mookie2001
11-30-2007, 08:34 PM
t park regulates on johnsmith ugly style in this thread

mrsmaalox
11-30-2007, 08:36 PM
I live in Stone Oak; and as a "stay-at-home" mom, I spend most of my life on 281. Where are the people who want "this thing fucking done"? The last 4 HOA meetings I have attended, not a single person wanted it done. I am an active member of 2 PTAs, and I have yet to attend a meeting where anyone wanted it done. The gym in Stone Oak I am a member of and my kid's scout troops and sports teams---no one. The place in Stone Oak I get my hair done, my vet's office, my dentist's office---no one. Among the neighbors on my street---no one. This is being discussed everywhere by residents of Stone Oak; and although I can't speak for everyone, I think I have pretty wide point of reference. So where are the people who want it?

mookie2001
11-30-2007, 08:43 PM
also this has killed threads before but its still hilarious because its true

why is someone who supports tollroads 100% more likely to support the war in iraq than a tollroad opponent?

Twisted_Dawg
11-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Funny thing about that 281 mess.....in 1999 the Tex Dot had $50 million ready to go to build three overpasses; one at Encino Rio, one at Evans and one at Stone Oak. But they delayed and the cost escalated off the map. Had they built those overpasses back then the traffic mess out there would considerably less.

mrsmaalox
11-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Its a fraud that a woman who probably uses 281 once a week would be the face and mouthpiece for a anti-toll road group.

Now I'm not defending her, but I think it's a bit unrealistic for you to assume that a resident of Bulverde uses 281 once a week. Have you been to Bulverde? Not much there. I know there are amenities like HEB and Home Depot close by, but they are on 281. The school buses use 281 (yes I know she home schools). From where I live in Stone Oak (near Bush MS), because of my kids' activities I venture out 281 past Borgfield Rd at least 3 times per week. I'm sure you know most of the people who live in Bulverde work in San Antonio? Heavy traffic out there (granted not as bad as closer to 1604). And weekends----the traffic to and from Canyon Lake is BAD. I think Bulverde residents have a big stake in this.

Buddy Holly
11-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I have no problem with anyone from Bulverde protesting the tolls, I have no problem with anyone protesting the trolls. You may misunderstand what I'm trying to get across. My problem is with who the anti-toll party use as their face and mouthpiece.

11-30-2007, 09:38 PM
I live in Stone Oak; and as a "stay-at-home" mom, I spend most of my life on 281. Where are the people who want "this thing fucking done"? The last 4 HOA meetings I have attended, not a single person wanted it done. I am an active member of 2 PTAs, and I have yet to attend a meeting where anyone wanted it done. The gym in Stone Oak I am a member of and my kid's scout troops and sports teams---no one. The place in Stone Oak I get my hair done, my vet's office, my dentist's office---no one. Among the neighbors on my street---no one. This is being discussed everywhere by residents of Stone Oak; and although I can't speak for everyone, I think I have pretty wide point of reference. So where are the people who want it?

I live in Stone Oak as well (Blanco side) and am in favor of the toll roads as our wonderful legislature has raided the gas tax intended for roads and spent it on other things not even related to roadwork.

Trust me, I'm no fan of TxDOT at all (I build large things for a living and cannot understand why making the ground flat and pouring asphalt on it takes so long), and actually like the idea of a private interest building and running a road as they have a vested interest in it's upkeep, but am ready for anything that will alleviate the traffic.

johnsmith
12-01-2007, 12:30 AM
t park regulates on johnsmith ugly style in this thread

You fucking idiot.

I have said time and time again (because T Park keeps bringing it up), that he is right. Roads should be funded by the gas tax. That's part of the reason taxes were there in the first place. I've also said that since that is not going to happen, we need toll roads on the north side of SA.

See, that is is your problem, you don't look into things because you are a fucking idiot.

KEDA
12-01-2007, 07:34 AM
I have been a resident of Bulverde all my life (28 years) and I am 100% in favor of the toll roads.

Im not going to beat a dead horse here, but there are going to be acceptable means of getting into San Antonio without paying a toll. The toll road is going to be put in place as a luxury, meaning if you choose to drive into San Antonio for free, you are going to have to go through the same process that you do now. If you choose to pay, you get a non-stop route into town.

This benefits both the paying and non paying people, it will alleviate a lot of the congestion as there will be some people who choose to pay, such as myself.

I really wish people would understand this. I get very irritated when people mouth off about things that they have no idea about. It also pisses me off when people such as TPark and others that will never ever use this road get so upset about it.

TPark, when was the last time you went to Bulverde?

And mrsmaloxx I agree with your comments. People in Bulverde have a HUGE stake in this, its southsiders that have never been to Comal county that need to shut up about the whole thing.

KEDA
12-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Tpark, after re-reading some of your posts in this thread, I do have one question for you.

Can you really be this dumb?

Opinionater
12-01-2007, 08:43 AM
I have been a resident of Bulverde all my life (28 years) and I am 100% in favor of the toll roads.

Im not going to beat a dead horse here, but there are going to be acceptable means of getting into San Antonio without paying a toll. The toll road is going to be put in place as a luxury, meaning if you choose to drive into San Antonio for free, you are going to have to go through the same process that you do now. If you choose to pay, you get a non-stop route into town.

This benefits both the paying and non paying people, it will alleviate a lot of the congestion as there will be some people who choose to pay, such as myself.

I really wish people would understand this. I get very irritated when people mouth off about things that they have no idea about. It also pisses me off when people such as TPark and others that will never ever use this road get so upset about it.

TPark, when was the last time you went to Bulverde?

And mrsmaloxx I agree with your comments. People in Bulverde have a HUGE stake in this, its southsiders that have never been to Comal county that need to shut up about the whole thing.

IMHO, just because someone may never use the toll roads doesn't mean they can't have a say when it comes to tax dollars and what makes you think southsiders have never been to Comal county? Are they too poor to travel and can't voice their opinions? And TPark is dumb?

mrsmaalox
12-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I have no problem with anyone from Bulverde protesting the tolls, I have no problem with anyone protesting the trolls. You may misunderstand what I'm trying to get across. My problem is with who the anti-toll party use as their face and mouthpiece.
I'm not misunderstanding you. The only points you have made for naming this woman a fraud are 1) former Californian 2) housewife without a job 3) doesn't use 281 enough. I just want to know your VALID reason, so I can make my own judgement in this case. Is she a convicted felon? Known ties to Al Quaida? Child molester? Pro-toll roads indisguise? Rebuffed your advances? Just kidding. Seriously I'm not picking a fight with you, but if there is something so important we should know about her why are you keeping it a secret? Tell us please!!!

Shelly
12-01-2007, 09:56 AM
I have driven on two toll roads in Southern California and they are a godsend. I'm talking about the 73 and 241. Both let you avoid the El Toro Y, which is a nightmare. There is never any traffic on these roads, while the rest of the freeways are packed.

I will probably very rarely use this proposed toll road in the Stone Oak since I'm hardly ever out in that area, but defiintiely would support it.

I think if some of you ever had the opportunity to use a toll road during a heavily congested traffic period, you just might change your mind.

johnsmith
12-01-2007, 09:57 AM
IMHO, just because someone may never use the toll roads doesn't mean they can't have a say when it comes to tax dollars and what makes you think southsiders have never been to Comal county? Are they too poor to travel and can't voice their opinions? And TPark is dumb?

Southsiders won't have to pay taxes on the roads dumbass. Unless someone uses the road, they aren't paying for it.

johnsmith
12-01-2007, 10:01 AM
You know, funny thing is that it doesn't matter how much anyone complains, they are going to be built in San Antonio.

TxDot requires a certain amount of complaints for a study to be completed in regards to any project. The number has to meet a percentage that I can't remember off the top of my head of cars that travel on any particular road. There are roughly 350,000 vehicles that travel north of 1604 on 281 nowadays, up 400% from 10 years ago. These complaints must be in written, letter form, and sent to a certain department of the agency.

Guess how many they have received?????????????????????

THey are still in double digits only.

Good job toll party. And fuck you mookie.

KEDA
12-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Hey, Opinionater, how many times have you been to Comal county?

Kori Ellis
12-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Hi,

I'm pretty out of the loop on this topic but I'm trying to read up and get informed.

Can you guys do me a favor and vote in this poll, and leave a couple comments here:

http://sanantonio.about.com/b/2007/12/01/san-antonio-toll-road-vote-set-for-monday.htm

It would help me out.

Thanks.

blackbucket
12-01-2007, 11:09 AM

why is someone who supports tollroads 100% more likely to support the war in iraq than a tollroad opponent?

:lol

01Snake
12-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Southsiders won't have to pay taxes on the roads dumbass. Unless someone uses the road, they aren't paying for it.

No shit. Is the toll road concept really that hard to grasp?? :bang

Man of Steel
12-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Good arguments guys.

BTW-- Terry Hall is hot...

SpursWoman
12-01-2007, 11:58 AM

Because they are tired of the hour it takes to go the 10 miles from one suicide bombing to the next? :wtf

SpursWoman
12-01-2007, 12:02 PM
281 north of 1604 is out of control. I really can't imagine that anyone who has to deal with that shit on a daily basis would oppose a toll road. To at least have an opportunity to avoid the worst of it.

ploto
12-01-2007, 12:21 PM
281 north of 1604 is out of control. I really can't imagine that anyone who has to deal with that shit on a daily basis would oppose a toll road. To at least have an opportunity to avoid the worst of it.
I had not been north of 1604 on 281 in some time until I was out that way a week or so ago. What a nightmare!! I won't complain about IH 10 for a long time. How people can stand all those stoplights on a highway!

If the choice is no road or a toll road, I would think toll road gets the vote.

RashoFan
12-01-2007, 04:50 PM
I believe the stop lights were placed along 281 to reduce the number of motor vehicle accidents that occured on 281. I know BBVFD was frequently "working" an accident at 281/Borgfeld and 281/Bulverde before the stoplights. Now it is a little less frequent that they "work" an accident at either of these two intersections.

Opinionater
12-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Hey, Opinionater, how many times have you been to Comal county?
IMHO, I don't see where that matters but since you ask I've been there many, many times.

And thank you johnsmith for your response. I stand corrrected and IMHO you've made me realize that the toll roads will be built. Not if, but when.

Twisted_Dawg
12-01-2007, 05:23 PM

Oh really? Well then wait until they toll roads AND intersections by your house and you have to pay everyday to use an exisitng freeway. Pay for an exisitng road already paid for on top of the gas taxes you pay for.

01Snake
12-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Oh really? Well then wait until they toll roads AND intersections by your house and you have to pay everyday to use an exisitng freeway. Pay for an exisitng road already paid for on top of the gas taxes you pay for.

Jesus Christ! Do some research on the project before saying anything else.

KEDA
12-01-2007, 06:34 PM

I guess ignorance really IS bliss.

ashbeeigh
12-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Jesus Christ. There are toll roads all over the place. Austin, Houston, and Dallas, just to name a few.

When I was in Dallas this summer we took the Bush tollway to the soccer game all the way to Pizza Hut Stadium where they're still doing construction. Of course it was a bitch, but things will get better. I can only hope that the construction of this proposed toll road looks better then it did there. Along with Twisted Dawg's train of thought, intersections and tolls in front of your house...have you seen a toll road in front of subdivisions? They have the non-toll in front of them. I don't see your argument at all.

And as far as the money goes, you'll get a speed pass and just fly through the the thing.

MannyIsGod
12-01-2007, 09:21 PM
hahahahahaha I remember when I was for Toll Roads in the past and people were all up in arms against me and now some of those people are for them.

Toll Roads are the way to go.

hibachi
12-01-2007, 09:31 PM
I have not researched toll roads. For those who have, please understand my question is not a firm position yet, but only a question.

Will toll roads really solve the issue? Yes, they will accrue money, but won't they also just divert the problem of overcrowding traffic to another sector of non-toll roads?

Mdot.HIM.not
12-01-2007, 10:07 PM
I have not researched toll roads. For those who have, please understand my question is not a firm position yet, but only a question.

Will toll roads really solve the issue? Yes, they will accrue money, but won't they also just divert the problem of overcrowding traffic to another sector of non-toll roads?

imagine the roads as they are right now

then, imagine adding additional lanes to them which can be used if YOU WANT TO PAY.

Some will, some wont

therefore, some traffic will then be on the toll roads because they wanted to pay to use them.

in return, since those people are on the toll roads, they will NOT be on the free roads.

simple math.

hibachi
12-01-2007, 10:23 PM
imagine the roads as they are right now

then, imagine adding additional lanes to them which can be used if YOU WANT TO PAY.

Some will, some wont

therefore, some traffic will then be on the toll roads because they wanted to pay to use them.

in return, since those people are on the toll roads, they will NOT be on the free roads.

simple math.

To clarify, nothing will change for the people who already drive for free, but for those who want to forego the free lanes, they can pay to use the toll road?

If yes, I vote Aye on Proposition Good Idea.

Mdot.HIM.not
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
To clarify, nothing will change for the people who already drive for free, but for those who want to forego the free lanes, they can pay to use the toll road?

EXACTLY.

So those people that are fighting this are either

A. Arguing just because they like to argue

B. Do not want people to have a choice

C. Are just plain clueless.

KEDA
12-01-2007, 11:01 PM

FINALLY SOMEBODY GETS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrsmaalox
12-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Well I think it's gonna happen no matter what anyone says; something absolutely needs to be done about the traffic. On my daily trips up and down 281 (several times per day) the traffic that screws it all up the worst are the zillions of construction related vehicles; I will be SOOOOO pissed if they start offering those companies any deals. Does anyone think that might ease up after the area is all built up? Also what about the merchants along 281? I can't imagine they would be real happy about a toll road.

2Blonde
12-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Where did I insult or even comment on "stay-at-home" moms? I never said anything nor implied it. Its a fraud that a woman who probably uses 281 once a week would be the face and mouthpiece for a anti-toll road group.
That's BS !! I don't work anymore, live out by Smithson Valley and I use 281 almost daily. Even going to the pharmacy causes me to drive to 281/Evans. That happens to be the closest Walgreens and it's only a short (ha) 25 minute drive. If I need anything other than what is carried at HEB or Home Depot then I'm on 281 into SA. Doctor's appt , guitar lessons, cheer-leading and gymnastics classes, shopping, haircuts, optometrist, and chiropractor to name a few. Even Moms who homeschool have these things to do as well. In addition, most homeschoolers take their kids on outings to learn things.

I'm not standing up for what this woman, Terri Hall beleives in but you're wrong if you think she wont use the toll road as often as anyone else.

thispego
12-02-2007, 01:36 AM
it seems to me there is a correlation between prowarness and protollroadness

thispego
12-02-2007, 01:36 AM
I would love for someone to explain why that is

whottt
12-02-2007, 01:39 AM

More toll roads = more cars on the road
More cars on the road = more petroleum needed
More petroleum needed = pro war

De nada :tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-02-2007, 03:59 AM

Because those people utterly and absolutely believe in privatisation of EVERYTHING - the military (Blackwater, etc), roads, health, education, everything, should be privately run in their opinion. They are the embodiment of pure free market socio-economic ideology, despite the fact that some services are poorly provided for or missed out altogether by the market.

johnsmith
12-02-2007, 08:49 AM
despite the fact that some services are poorly provided for or missed out altogether by the market.

I guess you've never met TxDot. They can't do a fucking thing correct.

johnsmith
12-02-2007, 08:50 AM

I would love for someone to explain to me why a bunch of people that will never use this road are so against it.

Wait, I'm in San Antonio, nothing this town does makes sense, why should this?

SpursWoman
12-02-2007, 09:05 AM

I don't live there, but I've to go out there every morning for the last couple of months and sometimes it's taken me over an hour to get from Lookout Canyon to 1604.

The toll will be for new road/lanes built...not existing ones. :wtf

JoeChalupa
12-02-2007, 09:06 AM
I would love for someone to explain to me why a bunch of people that will never use this road are so against it.

Wait, I'm in San Antonio, nothing this town does makes sense, why should this?

There are those who will never go to war but are against it or will never own a gun but are for gun control or will never be pregnant but are against abortion. If that makes any sense.

johnsmith
12-02-2007, 11:28 AM
There are those who will never go to war but are against it or will never own a gun but are for gun control or will never be pregnant but are against abortion. If that makes any sense.

Yeah, that makes sense and I see your point, but those are issues that effect humanity. Toll roads effect travelers along US 281.

KEDA
12-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Here is a visual aid for those who continue to misunderstand.

http://texhwyman.home.att.net/h_imgs/tollmnlns.gif

Maybe the pretty pictures and pretty colors will make it easier!

Shelly
12-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Here is a visual aid for those who continue to misunderstand.

http://texhwyman.home.att.net/h_imgs/tollmnlns.gif

Maybe the pretty pictures and pretty colors will make it easier!

That's what they did on the 91 freeway in CA. They just added another lane for FastTrak only.

Mdot.HIM.not
12-02-2007, 02:43 PM
The toll will be for new road/lanes built...not existing ones. :wtf

yes

mookie2001
12-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Because those people utterly and absolutely believe in privatisation of EVERYTHING - the military (Blackwater, etc), roads, health, education, everything, should be privately run in their opinion. They are the embodiment of pure free market socio-economic ideology, despite the fact that some services are poorly provided for or missed out altogether by the market.true, true, true

but there is also the wealth part

in this thread

-why do you care?, you dont live on the white side of town like me!

Extra Stout
12-03-2007, 09:16 AM
They should convert the tollbooths into weed dispensers for drivers.

mookie2001
12-03-2007, 09:27 AM
i bet those poor folk stuck in traffic decided to move to that side of town for the shopping

JoeChalupa
12-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah, that makes sense and I see your point, but those are issues that effect humanity. Toll roads effect travelers along US 281.

I concur. I don't use 281 unless I have to but if a toll road was built I'd probably use it. I use them when in Houston all the time.

mrsmaalox
12-03-2007, 10:04 AM
They should convert the tollbooths into weed dispensers for drivers.

Yea that way everyone will just turn up their tunes and groove in the traffic jam! End of complaining!!!

travis2
12-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't travel 281N hardly at all, so it can be said I don't have a dog in the fight.

However, the plans are for 1604 across the north side as well. That I do travel.

What I am concerned about are things happening such as:

a. reduced/canceled maintenance on free lanes
b. lowered speed limits on free lanes
c. "compensation" being paid to private toll control to make up "lost income" from not enough people using toll lanes

in order to force (excuse me, "incentivize") using the toll lanes.

If none of those come into play, I guess I have no problem. But if any one of the above is an option, then under no fucking circumstances will I support building toll lanes.

I don't trust TxDoT anyway, for multiple reasons, which are not exclusive to the toll road controversy.

SpursWoman
12-03-2007, 01:29 PM
yes

I know, I wasn't asking a question. :)

xrayzebra
12-03-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't travel 281N hardly at all, so it can be said I don't have a dog in the fight.

However, the plans are for 1604 across the north side as well. That I do travel.

What I am concerned about are things happening such as:

a. reduced/canceled maintenance on free lanes
b. lowered speed limits on free lanes
c. "compensation" being paid to private toll control to make up "lost income" from not enough people using toll lanes

in order to force (excuse me, "incentivize") using the toll lanes.

If none of those come into play, I guess I have no problem. But if any one of the above is an option, then under no fucking circumstances will I support building toll lanes.

I don't trust TxDoT anyway, for multiple reasons, which are not exclusive to the toll road controversy.

Travis,I still haven't figured out why they State of Texas
can't issue bonds, build it themselves and operate it.
And the talk about .17 cents per mile, that is pretty
expensive if you have to travel it twice a day for five
days a week. And the State is still going to give these
folks money to help build it. Hell, the Dallas/Ft. Worth
tollway was built, as far as I know, entirely with
private money and the DPS Troopers were paid out of
tolls collected. It is now free to all comers. The hair
screwed this one up bigtime.

But the movers and shakers in SA want it, so it is
going to happen, I promise you that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-03-2007, 09:34 PM
How many people actually visit that site or even better, click on the bios? I'm talking about getting that out there on the news and in the paper.

I love how all you can come up with in response to her comments are to attack her as the messenger. Classic.

T Park
12-04-2007, 03:14 AM
You people that think the silly government will be happy with "just the new lanes"
being double taxed.

I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

Pay double sometimes TRIPLE for your roads!!

YIPPEE!!!

T Park
12-04-2007, 03:16 AM
They are the embodiment of pure free market socio-economic ideology, despite the fact that some services are poorly provided for or missed out altogether by the market.

Or maybe because Government beuracracies FUCK everything up?

Nahhh, too sensible.

shyne
12-04-2007, 08:18 AM
houston has toll roads and the TRAFFIC SUCKS!!! all those toll booths slow down traffic at those points. even if you have the ez pass people start slowing way down and clog the roadways at the pay points...