PDA

View Full Version : The 2004 MisInformer of the Year Award Goes to - Bill O"Reilly

Nbadan
12-27-2004, 05:28 AM
Media Matters for America Announces First Annual 'Misinformer of the Year' Award Winner; MMFA Also Releases 'Top 10 Most Outrageous Statements' Made by Media Figures in 2004

<snip>

"Our staff analyzed more than 1000 instances of conservative misinformation captured on our website and tallied the number of times members of the media espoused lies, distortions, or mischaracterizations of fact in order to further the conservative agenda" said David Brock, founder of Media Matters for America, "In the end, Mr. O'Reilly stood out from all the rest."

Since launching in May, Media Matters has identified and corrected more than 70 examples of O'Reilly lying, exaggerating, or distorting the truth (we didn't include comments by O'Reilly that were simply offensive or absurd.) Bill O'Reilly beat out media personalities Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Britt Hume, and Bob Novak for top honors this year. Among O'Reilly's most egregiously false and misleading claims were false assertions that President Bush did not oppose the 911 Commission; repeated declarations of an Iraq-Al Qaeda link; and one instance where O'Reilly fabricated a Paris newspaper to support his claim of a successful French boycott. In other instances, O'Reilly promoted falsehoods about the tax structure, economy, and the American electorate.

"When media figures promote blatant misinformation in the news media, regardless of whether they call it news or commentary, the health of our democracy is threatened," said Brock.

Media Matters for America also compiled a list of the most outrageous statements made by media figures in 2004. The list contains comments ranging from anti-Semitic slurs to attacks on women, gays and lesbians to reprehensible acceptance of the torture at Abu Ghraib. This list, and other examples of Bill O'Reilly's misinformation, are available upon request or at http://www.mediamatters.org .

<snip>

US Newswire (http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=40999)

Didn't O"Reilly win a Peabody also? Oh, that's right, he made that up too.

:lol

GoldToe
12-27-2004, 08:24 AM
Did Michael Moore make the list?

Hook Dem
12-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Dan Rather deserves this award and there's no way you're gonna cheat him out of it!

smeagol
12-27-2004, 10:18 AM
There aren't many credible media outlets left in this country. Everybody has there agendas. In general, the media sucks.

JoeChalupa
12-27-2004, 03:25 PM
I concur. That is why I watch them all so that I can make a fair and balanced decision.

Hook Dem
12-27-2004, 07:43 PM
I concur. That is why I watch them all so that I can make a fair and balanced decision.
Thats good Joe but you don't watch Al-Jazeera like Dan do you? :lol