PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Rubio

mikekim
11-30-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm sure people here have posted about this guy. I just read about him on yahoo and he's being described as a Spanish Pistol Pete. Over-exaggerating a bit, I think. But the kid's only 17.

He reminds me more of Manu without the "helter-skelter" -- which is the whole point of Manu, I guess...eh...just watch the clip and decide. He certainly has some potential.

If anyone has better clips of him, please post. This is just the first one I grabbed off of youtube.

Ricky Rubio (http://youtube.com/watch?v=KqLGzkhRHN8)

THE SIXTH MAN
11-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah dude has been getting a lot of hype.

Bruno
11-30-2007, 10:34 PM
He isn't eligible for this year draft because he is too young.
All the hype around him is because he does at 17 what other players don't do before being around 20 years old.
He looks like a hell of a prospect for the moment. Now, you just to see what will be his level when he will decide to enter in the draft (2009 at the earliest). It's still possible that he doesn't really improve his level but I don't believe it will be the case.

Demo Dick Marcinko
11-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Wow! Dude has some serious handles. He looks like a more athletic Steve Nash. Looks to be about 6', not very tall and slight of frame. But at 17 he's sure to fill out some more.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-30-2007, 11:31 PM
He's got a slow release on his shot - will have to work on that.

RC's Boss
11-30-2007, 11:34 PM
He's got a slow release on his shot - will have to work on that.
Yep, that's Adam Morrison's problem.

RC's Boss
11-30-2007, 11:36 PM
Why play the child molester's song for the video????

itzsoweezee
12-01-2007, 12:46 AM
he's a lottery pick come 2009.

bdictjames
12-01-2007, 12:48 AM
Yeah I saw this guy on SLAM - he was dubbed "best player outside of the NBA"

LOL

chasky
12-01-2007, 01:32 AM
He reminds me more of Manu without the "helter-skelter" -- which is the whole point of Manu, I guess...eh...just watch the clip and decide. He certainly has some potential.

Manu at 17 was out of BAHIA BLANCA SELECTION!!!

Manu was a good player in juniors years, but the best Argentine promises was Lucas Victoriano, Fabricio Oberto or Pepe Sanchez.

Rigth Now, the best junior's of argentina are Matias Nocedal or Diego Gerbaudo.

BeerIsGood!
12-01-2007, 02:26 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up. I won't hold his size against him since he's 17 and will fill out more, but his footspeed is relatively slow (although he is fairly quick), his release is extremely slow on the jumpshot and in the lane, his dribble is far too high without good ball protection, and he gets almost no elevation on any of his shots. Basically, he's going to have to get really fast, learn to protect his dribble, and learn to elevate and release the ball much, much quicker. The NBA is far too physical to not protect your dribble.

It's not an impossibility that he'll be a serviceable NBA player down the road as he is only 17, but his highlight video shows a ton of deficiencies, and some that are very difficult to overcome such as lack of foot speed, very high dribble, and very slow release.

mikekim
12-01-2007, 02:41 AM

Manu was a good player in juniors years, but the best Argentine promises was Lucas Victoriano, Fabricio Oberto or Pepe Sanchez.

I wasn't comparing him to Manu at 17. I was comparing him to Manu when he got to the NBA. That he "reminded me" of him.

But yeah...I don't know how Manu, Fab or Pepe or any of those guys were at 17 anyways.

Are Nocedal or Gerbaudo better than this Ricky Rubio kid? (Now, let me make it clear that I'm not saying Rubio's anywhere near good enough for the NBA)

chasky
12-01-2007, 04:21 AM
No, Ricky is the best at 17, but Nocedal is really good, his body, quickness and strength are better that Ricky's, but Nocedal hardly have minuts in LEB (Second Division of Spain), while rubio is playing greath in ACB (First Division of Spain).

Kill_Bill_Pana
12-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Wow! Dude has some serious handles. He looks like a more athletic Steve Nash. Looks to be about 6', not very tall and slight of frame. But at 17 he's sure to fill out some more.

I think he 6-4.

SouthernFried
12-01-2007, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't get my hopes up. I won't hold his size against him since he's 17 and will fill out more, but his footspeed is relatively slow (although he is fairly quick), his release is extremely slow on the jumpshot and in the lane, his dribble is far too high without good ball protection, and he gets almost no elevation on any of his shots. Basically, he's going to have to get really fast, learn to protect his dribble, and learn to elevate and release the ball much, much quicker. The NBA is far too physical to not protect your dribble.

It's not an impossibility that he'll be a serviceable NBA player down the road as he is only 17, but his highlight video shows a ton of deficiencies, and some that are very difficult to overcome such as lack of foot speed, very high dribble, and very slow release.

Pretty much nailed it.

Looks like a good street baller/ruckus type of player right now. Tho, I've seen better even there.

El_Mago
12-01-2007, 02:27 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=65JO5hmTGHw

Respect.

Joe Schmoogins
12-01-2007, 08:59 PM
i wasnt impressed

mikekim
12-02-2007, 01:49 AM

Respect.

I immediately remembered watching that clip a long time ago because of the music.

Man...if only Manu made it to the Spurs just a few years sooner. We would've had Manu in his athletic AND skills/knowledge/experience prime. But I'm afraid that might cause some weird, disappearing photograph, messing with fate, Back to the Future effect. I like the way things have turned out.

THE SIXTH MAN
12-02-2007, 01:56 AM

Respect.
Damn Manu's game is just so sick in every which way! Nice clip. :tu

chasky
12-02-2007, 04:40 AM

Respect.

Manu in this clips have 23 or 22 years.

Some images of this clips are when manu play in the LNB (frist division of Argentinian basketball) And some images before that.

http://tu.tv/videos/manu-instantaneas

El_Mago
12-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Manu was definitely awesome in that vid.

We are truly blessed to have a player like him.

There is no other in the league who puts on the line like Manu.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-04-2007, 01:09 AM

Respect.

I love some of those blocks, especially the one where he gets faked out by the 3-pt shooter, goes flying by, but comes back to block the guy before he even knows what's happening.

It's now official for me - IMHO, Manu is the most entertaining balla I've ever seen - more entertaining than Jordan, and even my hero DRob. I've never gone there before, but no there's no looking back... :smokin

ArgSpursFan.
12-04-2007, 08:21 AM

true. Manu did strugle when a kid.There were a bunch of talented kids on those days(mostly in Bahia Blanca),but Manu never gave up and kept working harder and harder.
So,we'll see if this guy has the desire to take it to the next level or not while he is growing. Still a great prospect though.
BTW, I see more TP skills on Rubio tham Manu's actually